2009 Baseball Season

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Charlie Manuel was out managed by Joe Girardi in this series on one aspect... The biggest failure being limiting Cliff Lee to only 2 starts, and with a huge selection of starting pitchers he had, he picked Blanton to pitch the pivitol Game 4 !?

Hilarious.

F-Red

Must win for the Phillies & Utley hits a big home run with the first pitch he faces of the night. Could be a good game this. I've got this perfect HD stream on this as well - PM if you need it!

nyrfan818

Charlie Manuel was out managed by Joe Girardi in this series on one aspect... The biggest failure being limiting Cliff Lee to only 2 starts, and with a huge selection of starting pitchers he had, he picked Blanton to pitch the pivitol Game 4 !?

Hilarious.
To be fair, Blanton has been quite good this year. If memory serves correct, he'd always troubled the Yanks when he was with the A's as well. That said, I agree that from a Phillies standpoint, you want Lee on the mound 3 times this series, regardless of whether or not he's ever pitched on 3 days rest before.

I get a sneaky feeling the Yankees will come back to win this game if they can find a little bit of offense off of Lee. Don't think Burnett will give up anything more than he did in the first inning.

nyrfan818

To be fair, Blanton has been quite good this year. If memory serves correct, he'd always troubled the Yanks when he was with the A's as well. That said, I agree that from a Phillies standpoint, you want Lee on the mound 3 times this series, regardless of whether or not he's ever pitched on 3 days rest before.

I get a sneaky feeling the Yankees will come back to win this game if they can find a little bit of offense off of Lee. Don't think Burnett will give up anything more than he did in the first inning.
... Whoops

Rooney1987

Now Andy on 3 day rest aswell bad calls from Girardi here I would have pitched Gaudin. Against Lee with the bottom half of the line looking like it did was gonna be tough.

nyrfan818

Now Andy on 3 day rest aswell bad calls from Girardi here I would have pitched Gaudin. Against Lee with the bottom half of the line looking like it did was gonna be tough.
Disagree. You'd pitch Gaudin, Burnett, Sabathia I presume? Skipping Pettitte - your most proven big game pitcher? The man with the most series clinching wins in post season history? Nah, all the signs pointed to 3 days rest for each pitcher - especially with Burnett's previous career record on 3 days rest.

Utley is a monster. As long as we don't pitch to him in games 6 or 7, we've won the series without any problems. He IS their offense.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Disagree. You'd pitch Gaudin, Burnett, Sabathia I presume? Skipping Pettitte - your most proven big game pitcher? The man with the most series clinching wins in post season history? Nah, all the signs pointed to 3 days rest for each pitcher - especially with Burnett's previous career record on 3 days rest.

Utley is a monster. As long as we don't pitch to him in games 6 or 7, we've won the series without any problems. He IS their offense.
Huh? :houllier:

F-Red

Its going to be an interesting next game, the fitness of the Yankees pitchers is what will decide this World Series i think.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Its going to be an interesting next game, the fitness of the Yankees pitchers is what will decide this World Series i think.
And just as important, the Phillies ability to hold a lead and finish off a game.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Hilarious.
Starters pitching on three days rest since 1999 are 12-36 (including Burnett's shit outing tonight). I can't really fault Manuel for his selection. Maybe down 2-1 throwing Lee in Game 4 might have made a difference or not.

And what a shit at-bat by Teixeira in the 9th. Horrible.

MrMarcello

I was thinking along those lines too. Line up Burnett with Pettitte as relief for Game 6 and CC starts Game 7 if necessary. The Yankees had a game to waste so rest the starters.

Alex

In 50 years, people will remember me as a good a player as Rollins, while Jeter will have a statue in Memorial Park at Yankee Stadium

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
3 wins with a sub 2 era in games on 3 days rest? Sounds like a pretty good record for his career on 3 days rest to me. Maybe I'm crazy though.

Edit: 4 wins with a 2.33 era. Same idea.
... That's all this year though?

He never saw post-season ball with the Marlins I thought he was hurt in '03 :nervous:

nyrfan818

... That's all this year though?

He never saw post-season ball with the Marlins I thought he was hurt in '03 :nervous:
That's stats over the regular season for his career. He's never done it in the playoffs before. It's the same thing though, with an added mental aspect. He just wasn't up to it last night.

While I disagree with many of Girardi's moves this postseason, this was a good one. You don't skip over one of the best post-season pitchers ever. It'd just be silly. Of course he hasn't said he's starting Pettitte yet. If he doesn't, then I disagree with this move wholeheartedly. But there's no reason to have pitched Burnett yesterday unless you plan on starting Pettitte Wednesday, so I'd imagine that's not the case.

nyrfan818

Take a look at this peach of an article from Fox's affiliate website: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10313394/Title-hopes-not-so-bright-for-Yanks-after-Game-5

Does he really think that we were expected to coast by a Phillies team facing elimination with its best pitcher on the mound? Please. I think most Yankees fans expected it to come back to the Bronx. While Fox's announcers have been neutral enough, some of the material on foxsports has been appalling.

Anderson Searl

Reserve Team Player
Take a look at this peach of an article from Fox's affiliate website: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10313394/Title-hopes-not-so-bright-for-Yanks-after-Game-5

Does he really think that we were expected to coast by a Phillies team facing elimination with its best pitcher on the mound? Please. I think most Yankees fans expected it to come back to the Bronx. While Fox's announcers have been neutral enough, some of the material on foxsports has been appalling.
Nothing new.

Fox sports is so pro NL it's insane, every year they predict a NL team to win the world series... don't believe me? See if you can find the archives, and since 2003 Fox Sports have picked a NL team to win the World Series... Why? Bias writers and idiotic opinions mixed together makes the AL a unknown quality.

On the flip end of that, ESPN has always been pro AL, especially pro-Red Sox, and since 2004 they've picked an AL team to win the crown.

It's a bit of a mystery, could it be coincidence? Maybe, but the way the analysts go on about things it makes it hard to look at it that way.

Rooney1987

Anyone seen videos of this Chapman cuban pitcher. I've read he's in the US looking around ball parks and also looking for around 40-60mil.

MrMarcello

Matsui gives the Yanks an early 2-0 lead with a two-run homerun in the 2nd.

Ruiz just hit a triple off the wall with one out in the 3rd. Phillies trying to make some noise.

MrMarcello

ARod called strike three (bad call) with bases loaded and one out...

Matsui singles in two runs though... 4-1 Yanks, bottom 3rd... two outs...

Neither starting pitcher is looking good tonight. But Pettitte now has at least a three run lead and only needs to get another three solid innings in to turn it over to Joba, maybe Coke, and finally Rivera to seal the win.

Posada flies out to end the inning. Matsui is on his way to a possible MVP, though I'd still vote Damon at this point.