2013 Africa Cup of Nations

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Starts tomorrow.

Games are on ITV4 and Eurosport in the UK.

I'll be supporting the Drogba and his Elephants.

Fisrt round of fixtures are...

Saturday 19th January 2013
Group A
South Africa v Cape Verde 16:00
Angola v Morocco 19:00

Sunday 20th January 2013
Group B
Ghana v DR Congo 15:00
Mali v Niger 18:00

Monday 21st January 2013
Group C
Zambia v Ethiopia 15:00
Nigeria v Burkina 18:00

Tuesday 22nd January 2013
Group D
Ivory Coast v Togo 15:00
Tunisia v Algeria 18:00

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Cape Verde and DR Congo are my two outsider shouts (provided that they don't draw each other in the quarter-finals.)

Tresor Mputu (DR Congo) and Héldon (Cape Verde) are two players I expect to catch the eye. Two sneaky top-goalscorer bets too if any of you like a punt.

I love the ACON, a brilliant tournament and always exciting.

Skorenzy

Starts tomorrow.

Games are on ITV4 and Eurosport in the UK.

I'll be supporting the Drogba and his Elephants.

Fisrt round of fixtures are...

Saturday 19th January 2013
Group A
South Africa v Cape Verde 16:00
Angola v Morocco 19:00

Sunday 20th January 2013
Group B
Ghana v DR Congo 15:00
Mali v Niger 18:00

Monday 21st January 2013
Group C
Zambia v Ethiopia 15:00
Nigeria v Burkina 18:00

Tuesday 22nd January 2013
Group D
Ivory Coast v Togo 15:00
Tunisia v Algeria 18:00

Overachiever on club level, underachiever on NT level... balances out quite nicely. Luckily they randomly installed another ACN for him to win at least once before he retires :D

Traub

I hope we make it out the group stages this time.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Given that it's taking place so often I cannot believe Drogba hasn't won it yet with Ivory Coast. Egypt who are much worse on paper have won it three times since Drogba started featuring regularly at national level, Tunisia and Zambia have also won it. No luck at all for the likes of Ghana and Ivory Coast who are always among favourites, Nigeria have been poor as well.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Oh, and Cameroon missing out again is shocking.

Aboutreika18

Egypt were an excellently organised side with some underrated players who most non-African football fans weren't aware of.

They beat Ivory Coast twice in 2006, Cameroon twice in 2008 as well as destroying the Ivory Coast 4-1 along the way and beat Ghana in the final of 2010, months before they went on to reach the World Cup quarterfinals.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I always enjoy this competition. Unfortunately I'll miss out on a lot of it this year. Hopefully Zambia don't feel too much pressure.

Buchan

Poor enough fare so far between South Africa and Cape Verde.

Interesting fact: Nani, Henrik Larsson and Patrick Vieira all qualified to play for Cape Verde.

Not bad, not bad at all.

Buchan

Cape Verde really settling into this now. A little more composure from set-pieces and in front of goal is all that's needed. They'll be pleased with this.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Poor enough fare so far between South Africa and Cape Verde.

Interesting fact: Nani, Henrik Larsson and Patrick Vieira all qualified to play for Cape Verde.

Not bad, not bad at all.
He's Senegalese as far as i know. You Also forgot to mention Bebe who's born there.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Nope, Vieira qualifies for Cape Verde as well.

I knew about Bebe, but even the most ardent Big Issue supporter would find it hard to justify his inclusion beside the other three.
I just checked and you're right. His mother is Cape Verdean.

Traub

We're fecking dreadful though. You'd think having the most lucrative league on the continent (or so I'm led to believe) would result in something better than this.

Buchan

0-0 FT.

Disappointing game to be honest. It is the tightest group of all though so even one defeat would be curtains for whoever loses. No surprise to see teams being a little more defensive in the early stages.

Laphroaig

Hey, Angola - Marocco is on. Didn't Chamakh play for West Ham today? Is he too poor for the NT? Is Manucho playing?

Traub

oh really? i hear they usually dominate and win africa's champions league more than the other regions. maybe that gives them lots of revenue?
It does give them a lot of revenue but the South African league has the most lucrative sponsorships. A quick google search gave me this: http://mobifootball.com/2012/07/26/psl-in-sponsor-trouble/

Apparently the sponsors have resigned.

Either way, our national team should definitely be performing at a much higher standard than it currently is.

roon_ronnie

"City need a new ball out there because Unite
It does give them a lot of revenue but the South African league has the most lucrative sponsorships. A quick google search gave me this: http://mobifootball.com/2012/07/26/psl-in-sponsor-trouble/

Apparently the sponsors have resigned.

Either way, our national team should definitely be performing at a much higher standard than it currently is.
i see! I hear you on the standard part though, aren't there a few european affiliate clubs like ajax and stuff.

Traub

You may be right, but the Northern clubs have always been dominant in the CAF Champions League and Confederations Cup.
Definitely. However, we should be using the revenue to improve our own game and it doesn't seem like we're doing that.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Uche is a fecking idiot.He had two good chances (not even to score but) to hit the target in the second half and twice he hoofed it up from good positions.Horrendous finishing from Nigeria

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's almost bound to happen that the first round of a tournament like this is poor. Can't remember the last tournament that had a good one. Euro's wasn't good. WC was very poor. The last Copa America was the poorest display of football I've seen.