2013 Golf Majors

Liam147

On Probation
Can anyone (Al?) tell me why these so-called experts have no idea about Lee Westwood? They seem to think everything's just a coincidence with him. "He's struggled on the greens this week", "He's been great from tee to green", "He's more deserving of a major than anyone."

It's just all bullshit. He's struggled on the greens this (read: every) week because he's a shite putter. He's been great from tee to green because he always is. He'd be scraping a living if he wasn't. He's not more deserving of a major than anyone. He's a bottler and he'll never win one.

Familiar with the phrase "It's not luck if it keeps happening"? Well it applies perfectly to Westwood. This is not a coincidence.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
No really up for any of the top two or three tbh, making this less exciting than usual. I huess if I had to pick I'd go for Furyk. I'd like Scott to win but for that to happen the rest would probably have to feck up which I dont really like to see on the last 9 on a Sunday.

alastair

ignorant
Can anyone (Al?) tell me why these so-called experts have no idea about Lee Westwood? They seem to think everything's just a coincidence with him. "He's struggled on the greens this week", "He's been great from tee to green", "He's more deserving of a major than anyone."

It's just all bullshit. He's struggled on the greens this (read: every) week because he's a shite putter. He's been great from tee to green because he always is. He'd be scraping a living if he wasn't. He's not more deserving of a major than anyone. He's a bottler and he'll never win one.

Familiar with the phrase "It's not luck if it keeps happening"? Well it applies perfectly to Westwood. This is not a coincidence.

I think he's got this awful mix of being a bottler and just genuinely being a poor putter.

His poor putting ends up putting immense pressure on the rest of his game. He isn't going to put much down from 10-15 feet, so he has to push his drives as far as they will go in order to reduce the distance to the pins.

The commentators, of course, rarely pick up on this because they're mates with him. This is the problem with a lot of golf commentary. They know the players, and it makes it very awkward to criticise.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
The crowd at this tournament are so astonishingly boorish. A shot can't be played without shouting.
I read someplace that at least one of the networks is considering putting a 5 or 10 second delay on their broadcast and using some sort of software program to take out the idiotic yelling of things like "get in the hole" or "cowabunga" on every shot. Because people see it now on TV at every tourney some think that they have to be the guy yelling that.

Been some talk of some of the tourney's removing people from the course for stuff like that, but it is a fine line in deciding what is acceptable and what is not.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
From what I read little of it was uncalled for.

"I've (only) won £2m this year". Well done, Lee. Sure you and Rory had a great chat about your wealth and major wins on yesterday's round.

I know he was totally OTT but feck it, shows he's human. I always liked Lee though and this just adds to it for me.

Name Changed

weso26
Westwood will never win a major because he simply cannot putt. Most of your scoring comes from chipping and putting and if you can't do one of them, the chances of becoming a major champion are slim to none.

As for his outburst on twitter, he's right. Why the hell would random nobodies tweet him slagging him off? They wouldn't have a hope in hell of ever beating him.

Name Changed

weso26
The crowds are getting worse and worse. It needs to be changed. Anybody that is caught shouting ridiculous crap at players like "mashed potatoes" should be immediately ejected from the course. It has to be distracting for the players. McDowell reacted the other day to something and was heard cursing on live tv, I can only presume that was from a supporter making noise as he was putting.

alastair

ignorant
Westwood was putting well at Muirfield.

As I say, he's just a glorified version of an amateur golfer. He can't get it all together at once.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
The crowds are getting worse and worse. It needs to be changed. Anybody that is caught shouting ridiculous crap at players like "mashed potatoes" should be immediately ejected from the course, whipped to within an inch of their lives and then locked in a Peruvian prison for 25 years. It has to be distracting for the players. McDowell reacted the other day to something and was heard cursing on live tv, I can only presume that was from a supporter making noise as he was putting.

fixed.

alastair

ignorant
:rolleyes:

Come on now, that's overly harsh. He is a world class golfer.

He's a great golfer in so many respects. I think his putting is probably top 100, the rest of his game is top 5.

I've made my views clear about his professionalism here before. That's what holds him back.

StuCol

Chimp
If he wants to have other priorities in his life that's up to him. Who are we to tell him different?

Name Changed

weso26
From what I read little of it was uncalled for.

"I've (only) won £2m this year". Well done, Lee. Sure you and Rory had a great chat about your wealth and major wins on yesterday's round.
It's amazing how everyone seems to expect Rory to be in the mix for every major, despite the fact that he is playing shite.

Liam147

On Probation
It's amazing how everyone seems to expect Rory to be in the mix for every major, despite the fact that he is playing shite.
People don't. I did for the US but seeing how bad he was opened my eyes to him. Since then (and the Open) no one's expected anything of him. He even said he needed to see a psychologist.

But that wasn't my point. My point was that Westwood was playing with a young man who's won two majors already, to Lee Westwood's zero, ever. "Tell you what, Lee, it's a bloody heavy trophy you know." "Is it? Bet it's not as heavy as my bank balance though haha!!"

alastair

ignorant

McIlroy gives himself a chance though. When you push your game to the limit, you're going to have periods of poor form. If you look at his last round of the USPGA, he made 6 birdies and one triple. That's the mark of a golfer who got a bit unlucky on one hole but has immense ability. Westwood can't hit a Sunday 67. McIlroy can.

Liam147

On Probation
28 majors - 11 top 10 finishes and another four in the top 20. Yet only three rounds under 70 on the last day. Garbage.

Starting 2013, going backwards:

Masters 71 68 70 71 79 73 77
US Open 73 73 70 71 73 73 72
Open 75 72 MC 70 71 73 74
PGA 76 MC 68 DNP 70 MC 68

alastair

ignorant
That's clear evidence of a psychological issue. I must spend about 90% of my life moaning about how Donald and Westwood are complete bottlers.

StuCol

Chimp
I don't understand why you would feel the need to moan about that? Its their problem.

Liam147

On Probation
Saturday, me and my dad. Did you apply?

I'm having absolute hell on trying to get a hotel. It's his birthday on Thursday and my mum wanted to get him a hotel to go with the ticket she'll be giving him. They're running a park an ride service, so you can stay in Kinross, Perth or Stirling and get a shuttle to the course. But even their hotels are fully booked!