2013 Golf Majors

Name Changed

weso26
I really hope Westwood does it. I'm not sure if he has the bottle, especially with Woods breathing down his neck but I really hope he can do it.

alastair

ignorant
I agree.

They need to try and keep in a lot more even. I suppose day one and two even out as each player goes out early one day and late the next. But there shouldn't be that much of a difference, it was just ridiculous. And to be honest, I found it tedious. I was getting annoyed looking at lads hitting great shots and then ending up 20 yards through the green. I don't know what the rules are, but surely the greens can be watered to at least make them playable?
I think the way in which these courses are set up and the way the Open has gone in recent years has contributed to the drop off of people in attendance of the tournament. Crowds are well down this year. I know people talk about the economic climate but it's been like this for years now, and golf fans aren't the poorest around.

Just for the record, I played Muirfield about eight months ago and shot 78. If I went and played it tomorrow, I'd shoot 85 at best. I'd be 4 putting every green. That's how much these golf courses change for these events. They turn from being very approachable to pure evil based on how annoying the R and A are feeling on the day, and it ruins the fun.

alastair

ignorant
For tomorrow, I think the hottest putter will do it, but I reckon Westwood will do a massive bottle-job as usual.

Between Woods, Cabrera and Mahan. I hope for the former because he's played majestically this week. His 310 yard 2 Iron is sublime.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
I felt the 16th was crucial last night. Tiger missed the birdie by a hair and then Westwood only bogeyed from a very tough position. Then the tactical error from Woods on the 17th. :(

I love tough courses, where the cream rises to the top. Yesterday was thoroughly enjoyable. Watching Jimenez and Cabrera feck it up was funny too.

Tiger has never run a major when behind on the last day but hopefully that'll change tomorrow. He is the best putter in contention and hopefully will come through.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
Westwood is my favourite non Irish golfer and I'd love to see him winning. Maybe rose winning will have taken some of the pressure off him?

alastair

ignorant
Woods is a bigger bottler these days and he's never won a major coming from behind on the last day. I reckon the crowd will push Westwood through (and I've got (small) money on him though I'm not a fan in general).

There'd be better money on Westwood not finishing top 5.

It's all very well saying the crowd will push him through but he could do what Laird did today and be out of contention after 4 holes.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I think the £30 pound increase in tickets within 5 years has something to do with the drop in attendance.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Really enjoying watching the golf here!!! Never really liked it before, but it's quite entertaining, maybe because I'm about to start playing myself.

Westwood looks to be in trouble on the 3rd.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Everytime I've seen Westwood on TV for the past 5 or 6 shots, he's been in trouble.. bunkers in general. Not looking too good for him atm.

Duafc

Village Lemon
beautiful long putt to set up the par there, though.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Odds did you have them at Liam?

Yeah, Mickelson looks to have is sewn up, unless the others pull their fingers out.

alastair

ignorant
I think it's genuinely quite offensive to Colin Montgomerie that Westwood is mentioned as being similar to him. Westwood is a proper bottler.

Well done Phil. Legend.

Name Changed

weso26
Woods is a bigger bottler these days and he's never won a major coming from behind on the last day. I reckon the crowd will push Westwood through (and I've got (small) money on him though I'm not a fan in general).
I've heard a few people say this. Why's that now? He comes across alright.

Name Changed

weso26
Mickelson was absolutely brilliant. I have never been a huge fan but I've come around to him in the last while.

Very disappointed with Westwood. Complete bottler. Hitting stupid shots on easy (easier) holes cost him badly. Just stupid.

RK

I like Mickelson but he annoyed me a bit with his moaning after the first day. Particularly as he's ended up winning it:

"We have got to let go of our ego sometimes and just set the course up the way the best players can win"

I agree that the "luck" in winning should be minimised. But should we be saying that he got lucky?

alastair

ignorant
Mickleson played a stunning final round. In both the US Open and the Open, the eventual winner has played one of the best rounds of their lives.

Both courses had poor elements to them. Merrion had a ludicrous 286 yard par 3. Muirfield had dodgy bounces, overly firm greens and silly flag positions.

Merrion shut off the shorter hitters from winning. Muirfield created an element of luck to proceedings, but fortunately for them, they had a worthy winner, and not like a Cabrera Bello or a Jiminez which would have ruined the event.

forevrared

Tiger preparing for the PGA well at Firestone, currently -9 through 13 holes.

59 a very real possibility and if he finishes out as strongly as he's played the rest of the round, 58 or 57 may be on the cards.

Name Changed

weso26
He made a hash of it in the end. All he needed was -2 for 5 holes and he had a par 5. He was lucky to do it in par.

StuCol

Chimp
Just put my PGA bets on. £5 EW on each.

Managed to do well on the US Open and a small profit on The Open. Hopefully three profits in a row here.

There are good odds available on pretty much anyone bar Woods and Mickleson.

Justin Rose - 28/1 - Obviously won the US Open, and has a good record stateside. I half expected the poor showing in The Open to be honest.

Stenson - 30/1 - Played really solidly The Open so I'm hoping he can carry this form forward.

Westwood - 33/1 - This is my riskiest one I think. It just depends on his reaction to The Open heartbreak. If its a positive one he'll at least go close.

Donald - 40/1 - I cant see him having two shocking majors in a row. Fairly recent world number one at 40-1. Couldn't say no.

Bubba Watson - 66-1 - Has showed improving form of late and his game should suit the course well especially if it rains. Providing he can remain consistent.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
PGA bets? Is this for one tourney, or rankings at end of year? :/

Edit: Nevermind, just seen it's called PGA Championship.

Liam147

On Probation
Justin Rose - 28/1 - Obviously won the US Open, and has a good record stateside. I half expected the poor showing in The Open to be honest.

Stenson - 30/1 - Played really solidly The Open so I'm hoping he can carry this form forward.

Westwood - 33/1 - This is my riskiest one I think. It just depends on his reaction to The Open heartbreak. If its a positive one he'll at least go close.

Donald - 40/1 - I cant see him having two shocking majors in a row. Fairly recent world number one at 40-1. Couldn't say no.

Bubba Watson - 66-1 - Has showed improving form of late and his game should suit the course well especially if it rains. Providing he can remain consistent.
Don't worry about Westwood; there was no heartbreak there; he was delighted with the result, I can assure you of that. Why win when you can come third?

Need to look at the course before putting anything on. This is the best time for betting on golf. I don't think Tiger will ever win a major now, yet he's always about 8/1, meaning the rest of the field is 20s or better. It's stupid value. Might look at Day and Kuchar (again) and possibly Snedeker. He'll win one one day.

StuCol

Chimp
Don't worry about Westwood; there was no heartbreak there; he was delighted with the result, I can assure you of that. Why win when you can come third?

Need to look at the course before putting anything on. This is the best time for betting on golf. I don't think Tiger will ever win a major now, yet he's always about 8/1, meaning the rest of the field is 20s or better. It's stupid value. Might look at Day and Kuchar (again) and possibly Snedeker. He'll win one one day.

Delighted? He's seen a sports psychologist since hasn't he?

anyway, he's still great Ew value at those odds.

Liam147

On Probation
Delighted? He's seen a sports psychologist since hasn't he?

anyway, he's still great Ew value at those odds.
I highly doubt that. He actually said he was happy with his finish, and I believe him. Al called it right a while ago; he has neither the bottle nor desire to win a major. Keep plodding away with those top 10 finishes. He's good value in majors cos he won't win one, but is price makes each way betting good. I won on him at the Open.