2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi

Uniquim

5 nations with 20 or more medals that a first for the winter games?
No. Only 4 nations over 20 medals in Vancouver 2010, but 5 nations over 20 medals in Turin 2006. I think that's the only time though.

Medal count from Torino 2006.
Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
Germany (GER) 11 12 6 29
United States (USA) 9 9 7 25
Austria (AUT) 9 7 7 23
Russia (RUS) 8 6 8 22
Canada (CAN) 7 10 7 24

nimic

something nice
Scout
No. Only 4 nations over 20 medals in Vancouver 2010, but 5 nations over 20 medals in Turin 2006. I think that's the only time though.

Medal count from Torino 2006.
Rank Nation Gold Silver Bronze Total
Germany (GER) 11 12 6 29
United States (USA) 9 9 7 25
Austria (AUT) 9 7 7 23
Russia (RUS) 8 6 8 22
Canada (CAN) 7 10 7 24
That's probably because we (Norway) were so shit that everyone else got more medals.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What a great 50k to end some fabulous performances over the two weeks. Gutted for Cologna breaking a ski with just one KM to go.

Uniquim

That's probably because we (Norway) were so shit that everyone else got more medals.
Hehe. Yeah, probably. They had 19 medals in Torino though.

Norway (NOR) 2 8 9 19

During the Olympics this year, there has been something about Norway in the New York Times sports section pretty much every day. Even was an article about a week ago comparing the Norway v Sweden cross-country rivalry to Real Madrid v Barcelona. Here's the article if you want to read it.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Hehe. Yeah, probably. They had 19 medals in Torino though.

Norway (NOR) 2 8 9 19

During the Olympics this year, there has been something about Norway in the New York Times sports section pretty much every day. Even was an article about a week ago comparing the Norway v Sweden cross-country rivalry to Real Madrid v Barcelona. Here's the article if you want to read it.
Winter sports is what we do, pretty much. Football is still the most popular sport, by far, but we're good at winter sports. A lot of people probably only care about them every 4 years, for the Winter Olympics, but it means a lot for those few weeks. We still had a respectable Olympics, but it's true that our cross-country performances early on were talked about as "disastrous". Now imagine the mood in the media and the country in general in 2006, when we took only 2 golds. It wasn't the least ever, but considering we'd taken 9, 10, 10, 13 in the four preceding ones and 9 and 11 in the two since, it was pretty bad.

And then the Olympics were over and most people stopped caring. Mostly it's a stick to beat the Swedes over the head with, when we can. And also to go "haha" at countries like the US with 60 times the population.

Red Stone

The winter games are Norway's thing for sure. I think they have won the most medals over all the winter games combined. Well done Norway.
That's true, but only because the Soviet Union dissolved. If you combine Soviet's golds with Russia's golds, they're on top. If you factor in all other ex-Soviet nations, it's a landslide lead.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Well feck it then, if you combine all of the former British Empire countries then we win at everything always!

Uniquim

Winter sports is what we do, pretty much. Football is still the most popular sport, by far, but we're good at winter sports. A lot of people probably only care about them every 4 years, for the Winter Olympics, but it means a lot for those few weeks. We still had a respectable Olympics, but it's true that our cross-country performances early on were talked about as "disastrous". Now imagine the mood in the media and the country in general in 2006, when we took only 2 golds. It wasn't the least ever, but considering we'd taken 9, 10, 10, 13 in the four preceding ones and 9 and 11 in the two since, it was pretty bad.

And then the Olympics were over and most people stopped caring. Mostly it's a stick to beat the Swedes over the head with, when we can. And also to go "haha" at countries like the US with 60 times the population.
Yeah, Norway knows their winter sports for sure. I can imagine there was an outcry, it's nice to have Norway back though. I like seeing smaller countries (in terms of population) doing so well. I think location (long winters), and tradition has a lot to do with it.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I am going to pay particular attention to one of the Paralympians this year, as he is a family friend as well as being the youngest Winter paralympian to participate for GB, an impressive feat on its own right.