2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
My wifes boss will be crazy at work for the next few weeks, he is from Canada, former professional hockey player mostly in the AHL but got a few games in the NHL.

Congrats to the Canadians. Them or the Swedes taking home the gold.

Bebe

Brilliant. Well done Price. Entire office stopped working and crammed in the break room :lol:

It'll be ridiculous if we win this given how shit our forwards have been though. Great on the forecheck but not turning it into anything useful.

Iron Stove

Regarding Sweden matching up against Canada in the hockey final:

The bad news: We need to win against fecking Canada in an Olympic gold medal game.

The good news: We tend to play our best in an underdog role, and all non-Canadian hockey fans world wide, including the Russians, excluding a couple of deranged yanks, will be cheering for us.

There is a chance!

JustAFan

Only a matter of time before someone gets their throat slit by an ice skate.

Think that happened in a hockey game before. I know there was one goalie got a huge splinter from his shattered stick in his neck, almost died.

Some of the crazy stuff they do on sno-mobiles might be a good addition in the future games.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Think that happened in a hockey game before. I know there was one goalie got a huge splinter from his shattered stick in his neck, almost died.

Some of the crazy stuff they do on sno-mobiles might be a good addition in the future games.
Richard Zednik. Think it might have happened more than once but the Zednik one is the one I always remember.

JustAFan

What about a ski-jump where you and your opponent both jump at the same time and you battle in the air trying to prevent the other from making a clean landing. Or some kind of ski-jump/skeet shooting combined event where you try to shoot your opponent out of the air using non-lethal projectiles or maybe paintball guns.

Skywarden

The bad news: We need to win against fecking Canada in an Olympic gold medal game.

The good news: We tend to play our best in an underdog role, and all non-Canadian hockey fans world wide, including the Russians, excluding a couple of deranged yanks, will be cheering for us.

There is a chance!
The way we've played I think there's more than a good chance to win. Seriously, that 3v5 box play is the best box play I've seen Tre Kronor play as far as I can remember. Utterly brilliant. Our current iteration doesn't have the vast experience and superstars as the 2006, that team was absolutely insanely good, but it has a lot of good players and a lot of young super talents.

Cannot wait for Sunday's clash.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
That last jump in the ski/snowboard cross is mental. I'd love to have the skill and the balls to be able to try that event.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The flaming bender that NBC employs for ice skating commentary is getting more and more outrageous. Leather trousers, a gaudy necklace and a tiara...and perhaps even a hint of lipstick on last night.

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF

There is a chance!
The bad news: One of the main referees, the linesmen, the referee supervisor and all three of the stand-in refs are.....

CANADIAN!

ashgabat

Come look at our Swedish girls instead!
Supports
Malmö FF
Is women's hockey a real sport or is it as bad as women's basketball or footy?

Women's hockey is a shambles, really. And they can't tackle each other according to the rules of the game which makes hockey pretty pointless.

Wittmann45

Is women's hockey a real sport or is it as bad as women's basketball or footy?
Haven't watched a lot of women's hockey obviously, but there are two superior nations, a few nations that could challenge that hegemony and those, the many, that have no chance. For the foreseeable future, Canada and the United States will dominate women's hockey. That being said, with these Olympics, the general consensus is that these two teams are becoming less dominate as the rest of the world tries to catch up. Additionally, as I only watch women's hockey during the Olympics, the standard of the hockey played has increased with each Olympics I have watched.

The games themselves are obviously slower, they're more prone to make silly mistakes, especially wayward passes in their own end and in the neutral zone. I've seen passes in this tournament by some of the best players, that, if made by someone playing men's hockey, they would be benched for the rest of the game and chewed out. However, its just the superior technical aspects of the men's game. Not only are they faster, more physical and shoot harder, their passes are much crisper.

That being said, the Canadian women play a really smart style of hockey and their players are talented and intelligent enough to work without a complex system. Their cycling was impressive as was their ability to control the puck in the opposition zone. Their defense are strong and skillful, willing to carry out of their zone and they seem to always take good angles to the puck. They were also really good at limiting space and playing physical, despite checking being illegal. They lacked physical skill and strength compared to men, yet they were very smart players.

In terms of men's hockey, I would say the level of the very best women would match the best 15 to 16 year old boys in Canada, midget AAA. They would be outclassed in the CHL (which consists of three junior North American leagues that produce many NHLers), even without checking. Maybe they could succeed in Junior C or even junior B, which is at a considerably less talent level then the CHL, but its still good hockey

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't care how boring cross-country is, when there are three Norwegian women in front with over a minute's lead over the rest, I'm going to watch. I don't have a choice.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Love the winter olympics

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...n-skater-shows-more-than-delight-after-bronze

Russian speed skater Olga Graf showed off more than she wanted after a bronze medal-winning performance in the Olympic Games 3,000 metres, ripping down the zip of her skin suit in delight.

Graf, who won Russia's first medal of the Sochi Games, raised her arms aloft in triumph after crossing the finishing line and then pulled her zip down to her waist.

The tight skin suit burst open to reveal she had no underwear. Graf put her hand to her mouth in embarrassment and rapidly zipped back up, but keeping her smile.

"Yes it is true. There was nothing underneath," she was quoted as saying by the Sovietsky Sport daily.

"We have great suits, they make the body feel light and as a result I wear nothing under them. When I finished the race I forgot about this."

"And I thought, what a nightmare! And soon it will be all over YouTube. But in fact, nothing bad will come of it."

"In the end, I did not show that much," she mused. – AFP, February 9, 2014.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

Swedes, is it something like "fecking idiot"?

Amusing as hell second slalom run today. After poor and fast and completely unchallenging first slalom run (that lasted only around 47 seconds), Ante Kostelić was the course setter for the second run. I was quite satisfied with it, as true cream of the crop at the end got the medals (Matt, Hirscher and Kristofferson), and it was quite satisfying to see skiers that are just not used to some challenging slaloms collecting DNFs.

Maybe Kostelić went a tiny bit overboard, but still no way he deserves such comments as from Myhrer above. What a poor loser.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What the feck happened to the Noggies in the 4 x 7.5km???? Thank god OEB didn't need that for the record.