2016/2017 Title race

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Almost unanimous belief in the media the City will win the title. Very few pundits and journalists i've seen have backed a different team. Although I backed City, even I am surprised by how much most people see them as favourites.

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
City have arguably the best squad and one of the best managers in the game. The only thing I suspect the majority of the pundits are guilty of is that they suddenly expect Barcelona cira 2009 -2012 to turn up and tear the league a new one.

Would it be a surprise for City to win the league? No

Would it be a surprise for the to win it at a canter? Certainly

Would it be a surprise for another team be it Utd, Chelsea or another side winning it? Not at all.

At the end of the day it's just an opinion, I wouldn't get too hung up on it.

Von Mistelroum

It's a bit of an obvious choice though isn't it? They have Pep, they don't have any glaring weaknesses and they have some world class players.

Every other team has at least slightly more question marks over them. Arsenal are Arsenal, Chelsea are recovering from last season, We have too many average players and are recovering from LVG syndrome.

I just think people are playing it safe.

Dante

Average bang
City will win most of their games against the bottom 16 teams. But so will United and maybe Chelsea. The title will come down to how well the top teams play against each other... and Mourinho seems to have Guardiola's number. I also think Conte and Klopp can create teams that effectively disrupt tiki-taka. All four of them will be in the mix for the CL places.

United to win the league and cup double by May.

Bestie07

I won't count United among the favorites right now, even after making the signings we have made, simply because we have had so many false dawns over the last three seasons that unless the team actually starts to play well over a considerable amount of time that there will still be question marks about how it all comes together. I'd have City favorites for the title as well.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
City are being overrated by the media. Sure some might think they're favorite but this unanimous belief from everyone is quite surprising.

I'm guessing this is due to Pep which lead me to believe he's also a bit overrated especially in regard to the PL where he is unproven compared to the likes of Mou.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not sure why everyone seems to think City will unanimously win the League. Obviously, they have more potential than any other team in the League but there are a lot of question marks about them.

Health: Kompany, Gundogan, Aguero
Aging: Sagna, Silva, Toure, Clichy, Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Kolarov
Inexperience: Sane, Sterling, Stones, Iheanacho, Zinchenko
Shit: Mangala, Nolito, Navas, Bony, Delph, Hart, Caballero, Fernando

They're hardly a superteam like Bayern or Barca. I actually think they'll be overly reliant on De Bruyne this season.

I think like Leicester last season the title will go to the team who can remain healthy throughout the entirety of the season like Leicester last season & Chelsea before them.

Varun

Staff
I don't think City are clear favourites at all, their squad has obvious weaknesses which they havent resolved. Unfortunately, other contenders have some or the other problem as well which is why I believe it will be another close race with the winning team not accumulating a high number of points. I totally disagree that City or United, Chelsea etc will beat the bottom 16 easily as its been said above.

AlwaysRed66

I think the media/pundits/fans may be in for a bit of a shock regarding Man City. I think the Guardiola factor is completely overrated.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
All of City's mortal enemies in the media backing them for success. Must be a case of keeping your enemies closer, I assume.

More seriously, I'm a big fan of Pep, and I'd have loved him here, but I still don't see that City squad as being title winners yet. Season starts today and there seems to be uncertainty over who is going to be first pick in goal. Their defence is muck, and Stones doesn't solve anything. Their full back situation is terrible, and as mighty as Kompany is, his knees are made of biscuit, and he's out more than he's in. Stones is talented, but he's not great as a pure defender. Otamendi and Mangala are bombscares.

The midfield will be pretty solid if Gundogan reaches pre-injury form with someone like Fernandinho next to him, but that is not a certainty. Delph and Fernando are ordinary. I'd be surprised if Yaya has a good season.

The attacking unit is decent but it has some flaws. There's a constant question mark over Silva and Aguero in terms of fitness. Aguero seems to have lost that deadly burst of acceleration that allowed him to skip beyond defenders. He's still a quality finisher, but his game will need to adapt a little. KDB is top class, but I'm unconvinced by Sterling, and Nolito is a solid but fairly ordinary signing. We don't know much about Sane or how he quickly he will settle. Iheanacho should have played more games last season, but they kept bringing on/starting Bony, who was woeful. If Iheanaho can continue on his trajectory, then he'll be a big player for them, but its whether or not Pep will make him a starter.

We had a lot of problems from last season, and I believe the majority of them have been patched up with summer acquisitions. I don't think enough of City's deficiencies have been seen to. I think Pep will unfortunately do a great job there in time, but I don't think it will be this season.

I predict that Chelsea will do better than City this season. I'm backing Conte to make that hard to beat and build from there.

Von Mistelroum

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think City will unanimously win the League. Obviously, they have more potential than any other team in the League but there are a lot of question marks about them.

Health: Kompany, Gundogan, Aguero
Aging: Sagna, Silva, Toure, Clichy, Zabaleta, Fernandinho, Kolarov
Inexperience: Sane, Sterling, Stones, Iheanacho, Zinchenko
Shit: Mangala, Nolito, Navas, Bony, Delph, Hart, Caballero, Fernando

They're hardly a superteam like Bayern or Barca. I actually think they'll be overly reliant on De Bruyne this season.

I think like Leicester last season the title will go to the team who can remain healthy throughout the entirety of the season like Leicester last season & Chelsea before them.
You've already decided Nolito is shit? He'll be a bargain for them. Stones and Sterling have played in the top flight long enough to not be considered inexperienced and the only one who's age should affect them is Yaya.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't think anyone is favorites really. United and City are the obvious two, but Chelsea and Liverpool with no european football and excellent managers can definitely put up a challenge, and Arsenal have a good side even if they always feck up somewhere. In terms of starting 11's, don't think there is anything between United, City, Chelsea and Arsenal. All have a few weaknesses, all have their strengths, all have sufficient depth for their competitions.

City again are being incredibly overrated as they were the last 2 years where I said both times they won't come close to the title when everyone said they'd walk it, but there you go. A few top but injury prone attackers and suddenly they have the best side. With hart in net, a pretty awful defence, and a very average midfield, it's what will undo them. Gundogan is a good signing, but he has had plenty of injury issues so it's no guarantee he will be fit enough to make a big impact in the premier league. Also, who gives a feck if they sign Sane, Nolito, Gabriel Jesus on top of Sterling, Navas, De Bruyne, Silva, Aguero, etc... I'm not sure they've actually strengthened their starting 11 with any of those. Good potential with Sane of course but he's far from the finished product. Their attack was never their problem and I'm sure they'll score a lot. The problem was their back 4 which they haven't strengthened, while with Pep especially there will undoubtedly be teething issues through his style of play and the back 5 not suiting it in the slightest (just look at their friendly with arsenal... shambolic at the back would be putting it kindly). Also on their actual quality players... They are all injury prone. Aguero can never be relied upon to last a full season, and his back up is Bony who is shit. Silva has declined a lot, and he's very injury prone as well. Kompany hasn't had a good season since 11/12, but he is injured 90% of the time anyway. De bruyne is class though and not normally injury prone, but even he got a big injury last year.

Chelsea walked to the title with Mourinho a couple of seasons ago, and have Hazard who can be the best in the league at his best. Kante a great signing in midfield, especially alongside Matic and Fabregas. Willian a very good player too. Weakness for them is if any of their strikers can get consistency, and their back 4 which is a bit shit.

Arsenal have 2 world class players with Sanchez and Ozil, and some very good players in midfield like Cazorla and Xhaka. Obviously missing a top striker but Giroud is usually good for 20 goals until his usual drought. Missing any depth in defence though, and plenty of injury prone players back there. Signing Mustafi and Lacazette like they are trying though would improve them loads.

Liverpool has improved a lot under Klopp, even if their consistency isn't there. Capable of having great performances, and capable of throwing away easy points. They won't have the consistency to win the league, but then again, have only the league to worry about to they could be a dark horse. Think they'll get top 4 though.

Spurs will decline from last year I think. Pochettino and Spurs fans seem to be thinking that everyone will just carry on from last season and improve linearly because they are generally pretty young... But it doesn't work like that ever. You always need to change things up, and all they did was sign a depth player in defensive mid and up top. Will be interesting to see how they deal with champions league now as well, as even though they had the Europa league before, they didn't care as much about it. Now they have 2 competitions they will give their all for. A lot different.

United has obviously had the best window, and bought exactly the players we needed to suit our squad. Mourinho reportedly wants one more center back, and that would be the icing on the cake. Our success for the season rests on if we drop Rooney or not. If we continue to shoe horn him at the #10 position at the expense of getting the best out of Ibra, Pogba and Mkhitaryan, then we won't win the title. Simple as that IMO. If we drop him, change to a 4-3-3, and get the best out of our new signings, we'll see some great stuff and be in for a great season I think.

Mister_Stubbs

I disagree with City having the best squad, they have their strengths but have their weaknesses as well. Not to mention this is a new league to Pep and unlike in La Liga and some what the Bundesliga teams here will have a go.

SalfordRed1960

City are being overrated by the media. Sure some might think they're favorite but this unanimous belief from everyone is quite surprising.

I'm guessing this is due to Pep which lead me to believe he's also a bit overrated especially in regard to the PL where he is unproven compared to the likes of Mou.
In fairness United and City are the only ones that have made major signings. City did underperform and really went down after the pep announcement in early 2016.
They have added some significant speed to their front line and solidified their midfield. It should not be a surprise that City are favourites.
If they get off to a flyer their confidence could take them over the line by quite a few points. Most of the other top 5 or 6 teams are pretty equal in squad, so stability may be the key, i.e. Spurs and Arsenal.
United, Liverpool and Chelsea will have to not drop stupid points away from home and get the better hand when playing top teams.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
If City keep Aguero fit, I think they win the league.

Eddy_JukeZ

Their squad is still overrated to me. Their defense is bang average. Their central midfielders are underwhelming. And they rely heavily on Aguero's goals even though he's declined IMO and his injury woes keep getting worse and worse.

I mean do people forget that we finished level on points with them last season?

I don't think any team is a 'favorite'. I see City and United with the best chance to win the title, but both have question marks regarding the squad.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
In fairness United and City are the only ones that have made major signings. City did underperform and really went down after the pep announcement in early 2016.
They have added some significant speed to their front line and solidified their midfield. It should not be a surprise that City are favourites.
If they get off to a flyer their confidence could take them over the line by quite a few points. Most of the other top 5 or 6 teams are pretty equal in squad, so stability may be the key, i.e. Spurs and Arsenal.
United, Liverpool and Chelsea will have to not drop stupid points away from home and get the better hand when playing top teams.
I dont think they overperformed, I always maintained their squad was incredibly overrated and reliant on aguero and silva, now silva has declined and its on aguero and de bruybe. Their defence and midfield is pretty wank

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
City will win most of their games against the bottom 16 teams. But so will United and maybe Chelsea. The title will come down to how well the top teams play against each other... and Mourinho seems to have Guardiola's number. I also think Conte and Klopp can create teams that effectively disrupt tiki-taka. All four of them will be in the mix for the CL places.

United to win the league and cup double by May.
Not sure. Guardiola has the better record - won 7, drawn 6, lost 3 in head to heads

16.09.2009 - CL Group F - Inter Milan 0-0 Barcelona (Draw)
24.11.2009 - CL Group F - Barcelona 2-0 Inter Milan (Guardiola win)
20.04.2010 - CL Semi-Final Leg 1 - Inter Milan 3-1 Barcelona (Mourinho win)
28.04.2010 - CL Semi-Final Leg 2 - Barcelona 1-0 Inter Milan (Guardiola win)
29.11.2010 - La Liga - Barcelona 5-0 Real Madrid (Guardiola win)
16.04.2011 - La Liga - Real Madrid 1-1 Barcelona (Draw)
20.04.2011 - Copa del Rey Final - Barcelona 0-1 Real Madrid (Mourinho win)
27.04.2011 - CL Semi-Final Leg 1 - Real Madrid 0-2 Barcelona (Guardiola win)
03.05.2011 - CL Semi-Final Leg 2 - Barcelona 1-1 Real Madrid (Draw)
14.08.2011 - Supercopa Leg 1 - Real Madrid 2-2 Barcelona (Draw)
17.08.2011 - Supercopa Leg 2 - Barcelona 3-2 Real Madrid (Guardiola win)
10.12.2011 - La Liga - Real Madrid 1-3 Barcelona (Guardiola win)
18.01.2012 - Copa del Rey Quarter-Final Leg 1 - Real Madrid 1-2 Barcelona (Guardiola win)
25.01.2012 - Copa del Rey Quarter-Final Leg 2 - Barcelona 2-2 Real Madrid (Draw)
21.04.2012 - La Liga - Barcelona 1-2 Real Madrid (Mourinho win)
30.08.2013 - Super Cup - Bayern Munich 2-2 Chelsea (Draw - Bayern won on penalties)http://www.statto.com/football/stats/results/2013-08-30

Nik70

Almost unanimous belief in the media the City will win the title. Very few pundits and journalists i've seen have backed a different team. Although I backed City, even I am surprised by how much most people see them as favourites.
I don't think it's 'almost unanimous' at all. A lot of pundits have backed United for the title.

Last edited:

devil in me

Im in the minority but i genuinely dont see city winning the title this season. I see them more as a side challenging for 4th rather than the title. That defence is absolutely dreadful and i cant believe the amount of 'experts' ignoring it.
Not concerned by them in the slightest.

surf

For what it's worth, the Graun "experts" panel has it finishing United, City, Spurs, Chavs, Arse, Pool in that order. A vote of confidence!

ghagua

Let people think what they want, United may start slow, but they will cruise it to the title in the end.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
City are probably favourites, just. They really should've walked it last season with the squad they had. But this year with Guardiola and even more additions to the quality of players they already have, it be no surprise if they win.

Dante

Average bang
Top of the league at the end of the first round of matches. I could see us staying there all season, given that there's no CL to distract us. Mourinho will turn us into a machine.

Nik70

Top of the league at the end of the first round of matches. I could see us staying there all season, given that there's no CL to distract us. Mourinho will turn us into a machine.
Hopefully the Europa League won't be too much of a distraction but sounds like he'll be relying on the squad heavily on Thursdays.

ShakeUnBake

So, Aguero eh? Great Arsenal player
Supports
Ajax
It's a very competitive league this year. We're among the favorites, but there are a fair few. To win the league right away would be massive, but I could see it. Won't complain if we get fifth either, the choices made so far seem good.

SirAF

Ageist
Hopefully the Europa League won't be too much of a distraction but sounds like he'll be relying on the squad heavily on Thursdays.
Oh, he'll rotate the shit out of it - and rightly so. He's often talked about the advantage of not being in Europe, so I'm certain that he'll try to make the most of it in terms of the league.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pep invented football if you believe the English media. This is the only reason they are so overwhelmingly backed. They were no better than us last season, and they have question marks like everyone else. Nobody knows if Pep's 'play everyone in central midfield' thing will work here. Aguero will also inevitably break down.

I see them no better than us, and if we had to play the, tomorrow, I would not have them as clear favourites at all, in fact, I think we'd win.

El Zoido

It's a very competitive league this year. We're among the favorites, but there are a fair few. To win the league right away would be massive, but I could see it. Won't complain if we get fifth either, the choices made so far seem good.
We'll be easily in the top four. Winning it will depend on injuries and Jose's willingness to drop Rooney.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I was banking on City winning until I realized the extent of Gundogan's problems. His presence is already sorely missed. They'll improve I'm sure, but I don't see Kompany and Aguero being healthy consistently nor do I see Stones as being part of a title-winning CB pairing.

I see a return to form of the 'top four' (ManUtd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal), with the possible exception of Spurs finally finishing ahead of the Arse.

For some reason, I don't think the title race will be all that close. One of these teams with new managers could win it at a canter if they gel quickly. I don't want to jinx it though by naming that team. Next year is when the full force of the new managers will be felt, and the title race should fascinating.