2016/2017 Title race

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
And they have been proven wrong with you sweeping all the trophies in front of you?!

Tbh, you lot have improved and have played really well but it seems to come at the expense of focusing solely on the league. If you want to really break into the top bracket, you must learn to perform equally well in all competitions and not prioritize one over the other. Your performance in the CL and EL was pretty embarrassing frankly.
Tbh, yeah they have. Because the point was never about trophies. Pretty much every season for the past ten (ie since we've come up from the midtable jungle) I've heard and read the same things every season we either fail to meet our objectives or dont do as well as it seems we should have done after the season has started. That was it. That was the chance. The opportunity for top 4, finishing above arsenal, title challenge has gone.

I thought the same after Chelsea won the cl when we finished 4th. A situation o felt could only happen to spurs and which I thought would lock us out for a long time. Obviously I was wrong.

Things change in football. Very quickly.

Southampton and West ham getting knocked out of the Europa qualifiers is embarrassing. Finishing 3rd in the group is not. (no doubt we should have done better in both the cl and el though).

And I do agree with you. If we really want to be taken seriously as a top top club, we'll have to start winning trophies and become a force in Europe. Let's see if we can rise to the challenge.

Also, Conte saying the chances are 50-50 haha. No chance.

NK86

Tbh, yeah they have. Because the point was never about trophies. Pretty much every season for the past ten (ie since we've come up from the midtable jungle) I've heard and read the same things every season we either fail to meet our objectives or dont do as well as it seems we should have done after the season has started. That was it. That was the chance. The opportunity for top 4, finishing above arsenal, title challenge has gone.

I thought the same after Chelsea won the cl when we finished 4th. A situation o felt could only happen to spurs and which I thought would lock us out for a long time. Obviously I was wrong.

Things change in football. Very quickly.

Southampton and West ham getting knocked out of the Europa qualifiers is embarrassing. Finishing 3rd in the group is not. (no doubt we should have done better in both the cl and el though).

And I do agree with you. If we really want to be taken seriously as a top top club, we'll have to start winning trophies and become a force in Europe. Let's see if we can rise to the challenge.

Also, Conte saying the chances are 50-50 haha. No chance.
Ultimately it all boils down to winning trophies. I am not talking about the league or the CL. An EL triumph, winning the FA cup, etc will also count but you aren't really winning those competitions either.

Sevilla haven't won the La Liga in years but they are a seriously top team based on them winning the EL 3 years running. So yes, being in the top 4 is not a metric of any success. If that was so, Arsenal have been successful the last decade too.

NK86

Can't see Spurs win it.

But I've had a gut feeling for months that they'll win it next season. Chelsea having european football, another year of maturing for their excellent core of young players, an excellent manager and just so consistent for two seasons running.
Jose will have another summer to strengthen and fine tune this team to his liking. Pep will have a full year in the PL and will no doubt strengthen City's defense. Not discounting Spurs but I expect things to be much, much tighter for them next season.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ultimately it all boils down to winning trophies. I am not talking about the league or the CL. An EL triumph, winning the FA cup, etc will also count but you aren't really winning those competitions either.

Sevilla haven't won the La Liga in years but they are a seriously top team based on them winning the EL 3 years running. So yes, being in the top 4 is not a metric of any success. If that was so, Arsenal have been successful the last decade too.
I agree. Like I said, I think we need at least one trophy and go on a few runs in Europe to be taken really seriously imo.

All I was saying though is that for a long time, people have been saying we've missed our chance to do this or that. Yet we've gotten better when people say that.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
And they have been proven wrong with you sweeping all the trophies in front of you?!

Tbh, you lot have improved and have played really well but it seems to come at the expense of focusing solely on the league. If you want to really break into the top bracket, you must learn to perform equally well in all competitions and not prioritize one over the other. Your performance in the CL and EL was pretty embarrassing frankly.
Meh, this is thrown around so much now, but we weren't that bad in the CL, we were good in most aspects of the game, but couldn't seem to score. When we lost to Monaco at home we had 15 attempts, they had 7, 5 on target against their 2 (both goals). Many other games we played okay, and also were missing many players and yet to find our form. Not great, but hardly embarrassing.

Against Gent we had 25 attempts against their 5 and bossed the game with 10 men, it was 'one of those games', but again, we weren't good enough. However, I don't see how this is so different from the many Old Trafford performances you've had this season. I hope next season will be different though.

Edit: I don't think we've prioritized any competition this season. We got knocked out of the league cup at Anfliend against Liverpool who were flying at the moment. CL we tried but failed, and EL we did get unlucky imo. FA cup we're still in and we're doing well in the PL.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Momentum Spurs, fixtures Chelsea, four pounts are a whisper so race wide open. Pop-corn and lager for me, thanks.

NK86

Meh, this is thrown around so much now, but we weren't that bad in the CL, we were good in most aspects of the game, but couldn't seem to score. When we lost to Monaco at home we had 15 attempts, they had 7, 5 on target against their 2 (both goals). Many other games we played okay, and also were missing many players and yet to find our form. Not great, but hardly embarrassing.

Against Gent we had 25 attempts against their 5 and bossed the game with 10 men, it was 'one of those games', but again, we weren't good enough. However, I don't see how this is so different from the many Old Trafford performances you've had this season. I hope next season will be different though.

Edit: I don't think we've prioritized any competition this season. We got knocked out of the league cup at Anfliend against Liverpool who were flying at the moment. CL we tried but failed, and EL we did get unlucky imo. FA cup we're still in and we're doing well in the PL.
You didn't get through your group in the CL. You were absolutely tosh against Gent. FA cup you haven't yet faced a serioua side and Chelsea will be the first big test so it will be interesting.

I don't buy this that you are "unlucky". We have been poor in front of goal in basically all competitions so we know where our problems lie. With you, the problem isn't scoring goals or defending in general. It's more about being poor in competitions apart from the PL. Looks mostly like you not really caring for them as much as you care for the PL or you aren't good enough for Europe.

NK86

I agree. Like I said, I think we need at least one trophy and go on a few runs in Europe to be taken really seriously imo.

All I was saying though is that for a long time, people have been saying we've missed our chance to do this or that. Yet we've gotten better when people say that.
I agree that you have gotten better. However so far none of the posters who said that you may have missed your chance have been proven wrong since you don't look like winning anything this season too (obviously you are in with a shout in the FA cup but it's still not the easiest chance with City/Chelsea still in it). That is all I was alluding to when I quoted that post.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Adding that Spurs have the highest ceiling among the top 6 for sure but still it's a different matter leading and actually winning the league, Spurs may even catch Chelsea along the way this year because Chelsea seem tiring lately, but then, will they be able to stay and finish on top? Being the hunter is much easier than being the prey.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Absolutely, I think all the points you make here are totally valid.

I was just making the point that I think some opposing fans will be disappointed if they believe we're just simply going to go away and not be challenging again. The only real thing that could change that is Pochettino leaving and I don't personally see that happening for a little while yet. Stadium changes etc. will provide little bumps in the road, but none of it will derail a season.

Plus as you say we need some trophies and better performances in Europe to really start cementing ourselves properly.

Swaters16

Adding that Spurs have the highest ceiling among the top 6 for sure but still it's a different matter leading and actually winning the league, Spurs may even catch Chelsea along the way this year because Chelsea seem tiring lately, but then, will they be able to stay and finish on top? Being the hunter is much easier than being the prey.
Exactly this. There are zero players in the Spurs squad who have topped the Premier League, with a manager whose never won a trophy. Even if they somehow caught Chelsea, Chelsea have a significant experience advantage. One team is far more likely to crumble under pressure than the other.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Jose will have another summer to strengthen and fine tune this team to his liking. Pep will have a full year in the PL and will no doubt strengthen City's defense. Not discounting Spurs but I expect things to be much, much tighter for them next season.
These are all ifs and maybes though that, again, everyone says every season.

The fact is, and many fans hate to admit it, the other clubs have to play catch up to Spurs first before you start talking about pulling out ahead of us. We've got a very cohesive team and unit who has now come near topping the goal scoring charts and goals conceded charts for two seasons running - this isn't a flash in the pan.

I think Liverpool are the far most likely side to drop away in the coming years. Their wage bill seems unsustainable at something close to 70% of their turnover. The starting XI still needs quite a bit of work and as we've seen so far they simply don't have depth in several positions. Klopp was already bemoaning the fixture congestion this year, how is he going to feel when they've got European football to go along with it? Not to mention his sides, much like Wenger's, often have a multitude of injuries at all times. They'll surely look to add in the summer, but success in the market is closer to 50% and they've got more holes than anyone and a wage bill that already seems too high.

How are Chelsea, a notoriously up and down team, going to deal with Europe again?

Arsenal are another club who seem to be in transition and it appears that transition may be delayed a further two years if Wenger signs this supposed contract.

I expect the Manchester clubs to improve, but I wouldn't count on Spurs suddenly dropping out of the picture anytime soon.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As long as Pochettino does not leave, I can't see Spurs dropping out of title picture next season. He is far too good for a manager for that, although needs to improve his recruitment.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As long as Pochettino does not leave, I can't see Spurs dropping out of title picture next season. He is far too good for a manager for that, although needs to improve his recruitment.
I can see them playing home games at Wembley having a negative impact. I'm already worried about how it is going to impact Chelsea when we have to do it.

wr8_utd

:'(
I'd love to see Spurs win it but their fixture list is pretty bad and Chelsea have the best run in you could want.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I can see them playing home games at Wembley having a negative impact. I'm already worried about how it is going to impact Chelsea when we have to do it.
That's one factor I didn't consider. They were pretty shit in Champions League at home weren't they?

NK86

These are all ifs and maybes though that, again, everyone says every season.

The fact is, and many fans hate to admit it, the other clubs have to play catch up to Spurs first before you start talking about pulling out ahead of us. We've got a very cohesive team and unit who has now come near topping the goal scoring charts and goals conceded charts for two seasons running - this isn't a flash in the pan.

I think Liverpool are the far most likely side to drop away in the coming years. Their wage bill seems unsustainable at something close to 70% of their turnover. The starting XI still needs quite a bit of work and as we've seen so far they simply don't have depth in several positions. Klopp was already bemoaning the fixture congestion this year, how is he going to feel when they've got European football to go along with it? Not to mention his sides, much like Wenger's, often have a multitude of injuries at all times. They'll surely look to add in the summer, but success in the market is closer to 50% and they've got more holes than anyone and a wage bill that already seems too high.

How are Chelsea, a notoriously up and down team, going to deal with Europe again?

Arsenal are another club who seem to be in transition and it appears that transition may be delayed a further two years if Wenger signs this supposed contract.

I expect the Manchester clubs to improve, but I wouldn't count on Spurs suddenly dropping out of the picture anytime soon.
I agree with the main sentiment. Spurs are the team to catch for all clubs except maybe Chelsea. I don't doubt that Spurs will be good again next year barring some sort of season ending injury to Kane/Eriksen quite early on in the season.

However I also feel that next season will be a real test of character for Spurs as two of the best managers in the game will have a season each under their belt with their new team and will know exactly what they need to improve further. It's pretty exciting tbh with the PL this competitive. Makes it far kore interesting that leagues where 1-2 teams are just running away with it.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I agree with the main sentiment. Spurs are the team to catch for all clubs except maybe Chelsea. I don't doubt that Spurs will be good again next year barring some sort of season ending injury to Kane/Eriksen quite early on in the season.

However I also feel that next season will be a real test of character for Spurs as two of the best managers in the game will have a season each under their belt with their new team and will know exactly what they need to improve further. It's pretty exciting tbh with the PL this competitive. Makes it far kore interesting that leagues where 1-2 teams are just running away with it.
I agree obviously I'm very excited to see the conclusion of this season and the FA Cup, but I share the sentiment that I'm excited to see the competition from the other teams in the league.

I'm very interested to see what the other teams try to do in the transfer market. Especially given the fact that a lot of teams have somewhat similar needs as far as player acquisitions are concerned. Everyone bar Spurs (and maybe Chelsea) seem desperate for fullbacks/wingbacks especially left footers.

peridigm

I'd love to see Spurs win it but their fixture list is pretty bad and Chelsea have the best run in you could want.
That will require Spurs to beat us which will hurt our chances of 3rd or 4th place. As much as I hate to say it, I want Chelsea to win it. Now, if we win EL, I don't give a toss who wins it but that will only happen after the league is done.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
That will require Spurs to beat us which will hurt our chances of 3rd or 4th place. As much as I hate to say it, I want Chelsea to win it. Now, if we win EL, I don't give a toss who wins it but that will only happen after the league is done.
I think the fixture list has been kind to us (Spurs) in where we have to play United. It will be immediately following the EL Semi-Final which I expect you to get to and it follows the City away, Burnley away, and Arsenal away fixtures. Personally I don't see you getting through that without dropping a result and one dropped result likely means Top 4 is likely gone and absolutely ever ounce of concentration will go into the EL.

It will likely be the last game at WHL and I just feel we'll be more up for it than United will. Barring you winning your next 4 league games straight or dropping out of the EL.

wr8_utd

:'(
Ofcourse I don't want us to lose to them but with our Europa distraction, I don't see us winning our away games anyway.

peridigm

Ofcourse I don't want us to lose to them but with our Europa distraction, I don't see us winning our away games anyway.
Our away record is better than our home record. I think we can take 15-17 of remaining 21.

Anderlecht (H)
Burnley (A) 3
City (A) 1
Swansea (H) 3
EL Semi
Arsenal (A) 3
EL Semi
Spurs (A) 1
Southampton (A) 3
Crystal Palace (H) 3

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Our away record is better than our home record. I think we can take 15-17 of remaining 21.

Anderlecht (H)
Burnley (A) 3
City (A) 1
Swansea (H) 3
EL Semi
Arsenal (A) 3
EL Semi
Spurs (A) 1
Southampton (A) 3
Crystal Palace (H) 3
With 17 points that puts you on 77 points. Beating Arsenal effectively relegates them to 6th for good. And Liverpool will need to win 3 while drawing 2 to also finish on 77 points.

Comes down to goal difference and even number of goals scored.

Should Utd slip up in any of those 5 projected victories then Liverpool can also afford to slip up in one of their 3 victories, and so on.

ti vu

I think the fixture list has been kind to us (Spurs) in where we have to play United. It will be immediately following the EL Semi-Final which I expect you to get to and it follows the City away, Burnley away, and Arsenal away fixtures. Personally I don't see you getting through that without dropping a result and one dropped result likely means Top 4 is likely gone and absolutely ever ounce of concentration will go into the EL.

It will likely be the last game at WHL and I just feel we'll be more up for it than United will. Barring you winning your next 4 league games straight or dropping out of the EL.
My opinion is that our game would be very unpredictable. We may not field the best team or we're pressured to perform at top level, but it may mean some of the questionable mentally player may suddenly raise their game. And Mourinho doesn't want to lose. You're chasing Chelsea so 2 point drop could do hell of damage for you. Last but not least, getting over emotional can backfire. Players overdoing thing. Some extra pressure on the team on an already stressed title challenger team...

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The biggest fear I have for Spurs is the cauldron of emotion the final 2 home matches will be. The last ever North London Derby at WHL and then the last ever match at WHL. Hopefully the team will be able to block some of the insanity which be surrounding them going into both matches and continue to play well at home, but that's going to be a large ask and I can see the team having an emotional letdown after one or both of those matches as well.

Spurs fans love WHL and it is effectively the only home the club has ever known. Those 2 final games are going be 119 years of history poured into 180 minutes of football, at least for the fans.

Web of Bissaka

Wow, Tottenham Hotspur under Poch is getting closer and closer to win titles every consecutive seasons. Their potential is scary. Could be this season, stealing the Premier League or winning the FA cup. All the best, :drool:hopefully not against us though.

Chelsea's next game is huge. If they can shake off our game and win then Spurs have no chance and might not get fired up enough against us. If Chelsea bottle it then Spurs will be well up for our game, and I think their style is most suited to beating us than any other team in the top bracket.

I hope Spurs win the title from the renties but not at our expense.

Treble_Winning

Anderlecht (H)
Burnley (A) 3
City (A) 1
Swansea (H) 3
EL Semi
Arsenal (A) 3
EL Semi
Spurs (A) 1
Southampton (A) 3
Crystal Palace (H) 3
If we play like we did against Chelsea, we will be able to beat Spurs too. Spurs are a very good team (and under rated) but I still think the edge is with us, because Mourinho's tactics will be a massive advantage.

That said, the title race is still open. Spurs have some tough games, as do Chelsea. I believe that Spurs will easily beat Arsenal. But against us, it won't be easy. We will get a draw at worst.

The so called "easy games" against relegation strugglers actually become very tough scraps during the end of the season. Moreover, we can be certain that many managers will have taken a cue from Mourinho, and will be deploying the man-marking strategy against Hazard and Pedro. Mourinho gave a breakdown of his tactics in the post-match press conference, it was like he was sending a coded message to other managers on how to shut Chelsea down. If this indeed proves to be their undoing, and other managers copy his tactics and end up with 0-0 or 1-0 results against them, Mourinho will have his revenge.

AshfordLad

The so called "easy games" against relegation strugglers actually become very tough scraps during the end of the season. Moreover, we can be certain that many managers will have taken a cue from Mourinho, and will be deploying the man-marking strategy against Hazard and Pedro.
This is very unrealistic.

Not every team has the players of the ability of Herrera, Bailly and Pogba etc. Players who have cost hundreds of millions to purchase. Even then the result was more of a feck-up by Conte than any sort of a miracle by Jose. If other teams try to do what united did they will be picked apart.

As for relegation contenders being dangerous, its true. Jose bottled the title big-time in 2013-14 season against those teams (Norwich, Palace and Sunderland). however, if the teams are already relegated they become easier to pick off.

The title will be decided in the next two rounds. If Chelsea can maintain the 4 point gap in the next two games, its pretty much done.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Spurs have some tough games, as do Chelsea.
Apart from Everton we couldn't have asked for an easier title run in.

H: Southampton
A: Everton
H: Middlesborough
A: West Brom
H: Watford
H: Sunderland

Our record against West Brom is shaky, but they tend to drop off at the end of the season once they're comfortably safe. Sunderland are basically already relegated bar any surprises. Middlesborough should be in the relegation fight but they're also pretty terrible. Southampton can be tricky on occasion, but I have very few concerns about playing that type of team at the moment. Everton is the real danger, and I wouldn't be surprised to drop at least 2 points there.

Tottenham's run-in looks much more challenging.

A: Palace
H: Arsenal
A: West Ham
H: Man Utd
A: Leicester
A: Hull

That's 3 derbies, 3 teams who could well be in or around the relegation fight, a resurgent United and Arsenal desperate for top 4 points. Spurs have been on an incredible run, and after the weekend I'm a lot more nervous than I was, but a look at those run-ins gives me a lot more confidence. If Spurs can go through those six games without dropping points then they probably deserve the title, and although our form seems to have dipped significantly recently there's really no excuse for us picking up less than 15 from those 6 games.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Yeah, looking at that run in you should be fine, so long as you bounce back and win your next game game against Southampton.
The Arsenal game should be interesting for Spurs, Arsenal could basically deny Spurs the title if they come away with a draw even, or if Spurs beat them it could be a catalyst for a confident end of season push.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
The verdicts of the so called experts here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37040156

The two galacticos that were Jermaine Jenas and Dean Saunders don't think we'll even manage a Top 4 finish.

Guess that's why one was an overrated nobody and why the other one has been fired as often as he has been....
Reading this and knowing what we know so far should make us realise that no one's got a fecking clue what's going to happen year in, year out

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Chelsea is going to win the title. I'll preface this entire comment with that statement. I do not think it's realistic that Spurs end the season on a 13 match unbeaten run, and that is what will be required.

Here's the fantasy scenario for it to happen though:

22/04 - Spurs beat Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi-Final in convincing manner, further sowing doubt in the Chelsea locker room (gap: 4 points)
25/04 - Chelsea beats Southampton at home to break the skid (gap: 7 points)
26/04 - Spurs go to Crystal Palace and grind out an ugly 2-1 win to stay barely in touch (gap: 4 points)
30/04 - Chelsea playing their 3rd match with a small squad in 8 days away to Everton cannot get the victory and end up with a draw (gap: 5 points)
30/04 - A fired up Spurs team knows they can guarantee a finish above Arsenal as well as close the gap to 2 points with a win over Arsenal, then go do that (gap: 2 points)
05/05 - Spurs go to Olympic Stadium knowing they can go top, even for just a short while and get the 3 points (gap: -1 points)

This where it gets all squeaky bum time in West London, no longer top for the first time since 2016

08/05 - Chelsea plays Boro at home, gets the 3 points and goes top again (gap: 2 points)
12/05 - Again quick turnaround with a thin squad for Chelsea, and they get treated to a Pulis special at the Hawthornes, limping out with only 1 point (gap: 3 points)
14/05 - Spurs play the final match at WHL against United, again with a chance to go top of the league. Emotional match, late winner for Spurs (gap: 0 points, Spurs top on GD)

Both sides win their final 2 matches, Spurs win the league on GD.

markelphick

Looking at the fixtures, I wouldn't rely on Spurs winning the league on GD when you see Chelsea have home games against Watford, Sunderland and Middlesborough. They could easily make the GD up in those games. I fully expect Chelsea to win those games comfortably.

The next 4 league games is where it's going to be decided. I can see Chelsea dropping points to Everton and maybe West Brom. Possibly Southampton too (wishful thinking) but Spurs need to win all their games which is a big ask, can see them winning against Arsenal, West Ham maybe us (Utd) but two tough away games too (Palace, Leicester)

It's going to be close I can't wait to see how it unfolds. :drool:

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looking at the fixtures, I wouldn't rely on Spurs winning the league on GD when you see Chelsea have home games against Watford, Sunderland and Middlesborough. They could easily make the GD up in those games. I fully expect Chelsea to win those games comfortably.

The next 4 league games is where it's going to be decided. I can see Chelsea dropping points to Everton and maybe West Brom. Possibly Southampton too (wishful thinking) but Spurs need to win all their games which is a big ask, can see them winning against Arsenal, West Ham maybe us (Utd) but two tough away games too (Palace, Leicester)

It's going to be close I can't wait to see how it unfolds. :drool:
Spurs are up 8 on GD right now. If they win out thats a minimum +6 more - meaning Chelsea would need to make up 15 goals minimum in only 4 matches (given they have to drop points in 2 for this to even matter) to lead in GD. Very unlikely.

If Spurs win out, Spurs will have the GD tiebreaker.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
The teams have reversed themselves it seems. Spurs started off sketchy, but are now on a roll, whereas we started off fantastic, but are losing momentum. The rest of the games will be interesting, but on paper we have an easier run than Spurs do. The 4 teams we have at home are all winnable for us, and at SB we are generally tough to get a result against. I don't see any one of Sunderland, Southampton, Watford or Middlesborough picking up points at our place. Crystal Palace was an anomaly. The away games vs West Brom and Everton will be fairly decisive though. I think West Brom could be harder, but you never know with Everton. It's always likely one of those games where Lukaku turns up again and puts a goal or more past us. Win our 4 games at home and I really don't see Spurs catching us.

I would be extremely surprised if Spurs don't drop points in their remaining fixtures. Man Utd will go to WHL with a win in mind, but maybe look for a draw. Arsenal I doubt will get anything from that game tbh, they're just too poor at the moment. Palace and West Ham will be competitive and wouldn't be surprised to see Spurs lose a point or two in one or both of those games. On paper we do have the easier fixtures, but this weekend I want to see a positive response after the Utd result. We've always done well at Wembley, sometimes been a second home so looking forward to see what we can do against this in form Spurs side. We will absolutely go into the game as underdogs and rightly so, but we also have the ability to pull out a performance when our backs are against the wall.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Chelsea is going to win the title. I'll preface this entire comment with that statement. I do not think it's realistic that Spurs end the season on a 13 match unbeaten run, and that is what will be required.

Here's the fantasy scenario for it to happen though:

22/04 - Spurs beat Chelsea in the FA Cup Semi-Final in convincing manner, further sowing doubt in the Chelsea locker room (gap: 4 points)
25/04 - Chelsea beats Southampton at home to break the skid (gap: 7 points)
26/04 - Spurs go to Crystal Palace and grind out an ugly 2-1 win to stay barely in touch (gap: 4 points)
30/04 - Chelsea playing their 3rd match with a small squad in 8 days away to Everton cannot get the victory and end up with a draw (gap: 5 points)
30/04 - A fired up Spurs team knows they can guarantee a finish above Arsenal as well as close the gap to 2 points with a win over Arsenal, then go do that (gap: 2 points)
05/05 - Spurs go to Olympic Stadium knowing they can go top, even for just a short while and get the 3 points (gap: -1 points)

This where it gets all squeaky bum time in West London, no longer top for the first time since 2016

08/05 - Chelsea plays Boro at home, gets the 3 points and goes top again (gap: 2 points)
12/05 - Again quick turnaround with a thin squad for Chelsea, and they get treated to a Pulis special at the Hawthornes, limping out with only 1 point (gap: 3 points)
14/05 - Spurs play the final match at WHL against United, again with a chance to go top of the league. Emotional match, late winner for Spurs (gap: 0 points, Spurs top on GD)

Both sides win their final 2 matches, Spurs win the league on GD.
And afterwards Spurs go on to win the FA cup final against Arsenal. Following which - in what you might call a win-win situation- the FA Charity shield is contested between two teams consisting entirely of Spurs players, each containing a 50:50 mix of first team and youth team footballers.