2016/2017 Title race

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Didn't realise Spurs had improve their goal difference so much, that make's things a little more interesting. Chelsea should still do it though.
I like how the sky pundits are trying to push "the title race is blown wide open after todays result" on us but in truth Chelsea have an easier run-in and bar a drastic drop in performance should win it comfortably.

And of course stealing Dele Alli this summer would prove rather difficult were Spurs to be champions, so for that reason alone I want Chelsea to win it :p

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure you know.

Costa it is badly out of form. Not sure where the goals will come from if teams deal with Hazard.
We've had our bust cycle for two months. Utd have had poor draws for ages. Arsenal going through their worst period in 21 years. It's only fair Chelsea finally hit their rut now.

Spurs should go all out and beat everyone in front of them. No fear.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Chelsea's run-in is far easier and they have 4 points buffer. Spurs basically need to win all. Right now, I see only Everton away as a game where Chelsea will drop points. Maybe one more draw at max so they will be finishing on 88-89 points. Winning all remaining games will take Spurs to 89.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Looking at this ... if only we'd converted a couple of those draws into wins.

But only 3 defeats - is that the least in the Prem?
Yeah Spurs and United have been beaten 3 times, next is Chelsea and Liverpool on 5

salford_

Chelsea's run-in is far easier and they have 4 points buffer. Spurs basically need to win all. Right now, I see only Everton away as a game where Chelsea will drop points. Maybe one more draw at max so they will be finishing on 88-89 points. Winning all remaining games will take Spurs to 89.
I was corrected earlier and from a combination of Spurs dropping pts and Chelsea winning pts, they need 15 to win the league. So if Spurs fail to win any of their remaining games, its over. It is too big an ask tbh, their run in is harder than i first thought

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
How long are Alonso and Courtouis out? Chelsea havent had to deal with many if any significant injuries this season.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
How long are Alonso and Courtouis out? Chelsea havent had to deal with many if any significant injuries this season.
I doubt either are that bad. Alonso pulled up during warm up I think while Courtois had an ankle injury from doing some sort of NBA promotion. Probably jumped up and sprained his ankle.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Didn't realise Spurs had improve their goal difference so much, that make's things a little more interesting. Chelsea should still do it though.
Before today's result our goal difference was more than what United had scored.

I can't even believe it myself. I remember the days when a positive goal difference at the end of the season, no matter how small, was a good achievement for us.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I like how the sky pundits are trying to push "the title race is blown wide open after todays result" on us but in truth Chelsea have an easier run-in and bar a drastic drop in performance should win it comfortably.

And of course stealing Dele Alli this summer would prove rather difficult were Spurs to be champions, so for that reason alone I want Chelsea to win it :p
You guys have been riding your luck recently and your form hasn't been as good as your results. John Stones not missing a sitter could have made this really interesting.

Even against Bournemouth you needed a shanked shot to go in off someone's head and Bournemouth to hit the post twice.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
You guys have been riding your luck recently and your form hasn't been as good as your results. John Stones not missing a sitter could have made this really interesting.

Even against Bournemouth you needed a shanked shot to go in off someone's head and Bournemouth to hit the post twice.
You seem to have mistaken me for a Chelsea fan. That hurt!

Dominos

The irritating thing is when Spurs inevitably drop points and don't win the title we'll have to listen to how they "bottled it" yet again, despite the fact they were never in a position to win it, were never favourites, were never that close, and were always going to drop points simply because every team drops points in tough games of which they have plenty.

They'd be better served getting nowhere near top spot that way they can never be accused of being bottlers, such is Caf logic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The irritating thing is when Spurs inevitably drop points and don't win the title we'll have to listen to how they "bottled it" yet again, despite the fact they were never in a position to win it, were never favourites, were never that close, and were always going to drop points simply because every team drops points in tough games of which they have plenty.

They'd be better served getting nowhere near top spot that way they can never be accused of being bottlers, such is Caf logic.
Why does that irritate you? Are you a Spurs fan?

Not sure what's worse from their point of view, being branded bottlers or despite their obvious improvement still not actually close to amounting to anything

Dominos

Why does that irritate you? Are you a Spurs fan?

Not sure what's worse from their point of view, being branded bottlers or despite their obvious improvement still not actually close to amounting to anything
Just the laziness and absurdity of the cases when a team gets labelled "bottlers" is extremely irritating, it's nothing to do with Spurs, just the overuse of the term.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Spurs won't win the title, but they've improved on their position from last season. If they invest enough money in the summer, they could challenge next season. It's hard to say because the top teams will invest a lot of money again, and with Jose and Pep in their second seasons, you'd probably favour either us or City to win it.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Spurs won't win the title, but they've improved on their position from last season. If they invest enough money in the summer, they could challenge next season. It's hard to say because the top teams will invest a lot of money again, and with Jose and Pep in their second seasons, you'd probably favour either us or City to win it.
Depends how they adjust to playing at Wembley too. They struggled their in the CL and Europa

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Indeed it feels it's a now or never situation for Spurs
Same has been said for about 3 years running now.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I think last season really was your chance, and I never really gave you much of a chance last season. I didn't think you'd even make top four this season though, so who knows.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure it dates back quite that far but indeed your best chance ever was last season (as was the case for Arsenal) and given how badly Spurs coped with playing at Wembley in the UCL this season you wonder how their form will be next season meaning a lot rides on this

Like the other chap said though you're not really in this title race, not yet anyway

TsuWave

every time i look at the table i get annoyed. 12 fecking draws, at least half of those we should've won. infuriating. :mad:

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not sure it dates back quite that far but indeed your best chance ever was last season (as was the case for Arsenal) and given how badly Spurs coped with playing at Wembley in the UCL this season you wonder how their form will be next season meaning a lot rides on this

Like the other chap said though you're not really in this title race, not yet anyway
Wembley worries me a little bit, but if I'm honest I think we could stutter early and then come into form. The squad and the manager seem too strong to let a stadium completely dictate how they'll perform and as Chelsea have shown this season starting slow won't necessarily stop you from going for the title.

Treble_Winning

Wembley worries me a little bit, but if I'm honest I think we could stutter early and then come into form. The squad and the manager seem too strong to let a stadium completely dictate how they'll perform and as Chelsea have shown this season starting slow won't necessarily stop you from going for the title.
Won't Chelsea and Spurs be sharing Wembley?

That could either be an advantage or a disadvantage. The prestige of the venue, coupled with "home" cup finals, and more supporters at home games, etc.

But I've been saying for months that Pochettino is an incredibly under rated manager.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

That could either be an advantage or a disadvantage. The prestige of the venue, coupled with "home" cup finals, and more supporters at home games, etc.

But I've been saying for months that Pochettino is an incredibly under rated manager.
I think Chelsea are at Stamford Bridge for another 2 seasons. Don't think they've decided where they will be playing during the construction

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

SAF had lunch with him and called him the most exciting manager in the game! Hardly under rated?

RonaldoVII

Spurs don't have another easy game this season, I think their run has come too late. Chelsea can afford to drop a few points but there will be a seed of doubt given recent results. The cup game could give a psychological edge next weekend but too late really.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

No we won't be sharing. They'll still be at the Bridge next year and maybe even the year after and then they'll be away for something like 3 years.

I'm a bit worried that we'll be out longer than 1. I can't really see how we can complete that much construction in just 14 months.

We also haven't even stated whether we will go next season. The decision has been postponed until the end of this month. Wouldn't even be surprised if we were to stay at WHL for one more year.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If the fixtures were reversed, I'd give us a shot. But I just don't see it unfortunately. Chelsea have an almost guaranteed 12 home points, which makes what we do, even if it's an incredibly improbable perfect winning run, moot.

Still, happy to be involved in the race and happy to see Conte clearly sweating a bit.

NK86

And they have been proven wrong with you sweeping all the trophies in front of you?!

Tbh, you lot have improved and have played really well but it seems to come at the expense of focusing solely on the league. If you want to really break into the top bracket, you must learn to perform equally well in all competitions and not prioritize one over the other. Your performance in the CL and EL was pretty embarrassing frankly.

NK86

Imagine this: it comes down to the last game of the season - our last ever game at the famous old White Hart Lane - with United knowing that a Spurs win would clinch the title, and with United having either gained top 4 already or knowing that they can't.

Do you think Jose would quietly hint to his players - with a nod and a wink - to take it easy and get ready for the beach?
I hope to feck he does not do it. Even if we are guaranteed top 4, I would expect us to go and win that match and not give a quarter. I expect Spurs would do the same.
However, if it was Liverpool instead of Chelsea, you could make that case.

NK86

Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal
West Ham United v Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United
Leicester City v Tottenham Hotspur
Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur

I think Spurs can win all 6. Arsenal are horrific away from home vs the top teams and I think our top 4 race will be over by the time we face them and Judas will just play the second team. Spurs will have learned from last season and won't bottle it again. All the pressure is on Chelsea unlike last season where people expected Leicester to fall apart and Spurs/Arsenal to win it.

Everton away and West Brom away are both really tough games where Chelsea can mess up.
Real classy there!

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Can't see Spurs win it.

But I've had a gut feeling for months that they'll win it next season. Chelsea having european football, another year of maturing for their excellent core of young players, an excellent manager and just so consistent for two seasons running.