2016/2017 Title race

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Cheers. I'm kinda joking. It's fun to be bullish and over-confidant sometimes.
It's all well and good in my book, when you've earned the bragging rights!

You've been a few levels above anyone else this season, and if you look back to the pre-season prediction threads, you won't find many here who left you with a chance of doing it. That's worth rubbing in everyone's faces for a bit ;)

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Right on. The entire Chelsea fan base should take the blame for 4 racist idiots. High IQ you've got there as there are no racist idiots at all in the Spurs fan base.
very high IQ he is probably a spurs fan who calls his team the Y ....
Really gone and proven me wrong with these posts haven't ya? :lol:

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Aaah, seasons can turn on moments like that! Imagine if Stones had put away that chance, we'd be 5 points behind.

We'd play first this weekend and by the time Chelsea played, we could be only 2 points behind them....

Alas, not to be. Perhaps would have been a more interesting race if our injuries had been a bit lighter (Wtf was going on today) but I think its fair to say that what was already a very slim chance has now basically disappeared.

Still, we've done such a good job, fair play to the manager and players.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Aaah, seasons can turn on moments like that! Imagine if Stones had put away that chance, we'd be 5 points behind.

We'd play first this weekend and by the time Chelsea played, we could be only 2 points behind them....

Alas, not to be. Perhaps would have been a more interesting race if our injuries had been a bit lighter (Wtf was going on today) but I think its fair to say that what was already a very slim chance has now basically disappeared.

Still, we've done such a good job, fair play to the manager and players.
Much as it pains me to admit, your side has been brilliant this year. I do hope Poch stays and that you can continue to build-if Lamela goes back to Italy and perhaps if Sissokho goes to France you could attract some very decent players. I think you need another wide forward and perhaps another CB, for me Wimmer isn't convincing.

Also to be fair to Stones, that ball took a last second deflection that made the chance very awkward-Kompany's head really did City no favours this match.

RedDevil@84

Any idea why papers seem super excited when Spurs do well. Spurs are a good 7 pts behind Chelsea. And yesterday's Chelsea win clearly shows they won't implode like what Spurs managed to do last season. All the talk of keeping the dream alive seems farce. Papers were almost unanimous in declaring Chelsea champions with a 10 pt gap. Suddenly with a 7 pt gap, Spurs are back in hunt.

I don't see any chance of Chelsea dropping 7 pts in next 8 matches.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Any idea why papers seem super excited when Spurs do well. Spurs are a good 7 pts behind Chelsea. And yesterday's Chelsea win clearly shows they won't implode like what Spurs managed to do last season. All the talk of keeping the dream alive seems farce. Papers were almost unanimous in declaring Chelsea champions with a 10 pt gap. Suddenly with a 7 pt gap, Spurs are back in hunt.

I don't see any chance of Chelsea dropping 7 pts in next 8 matches.
I don't know. It could be interesting having two shitty little sides winning the Prem one year after the other.
white text. bite you spuds.

Treble_Winning

I don't know. It could be interesting having two shitty little sides winning the Prem one year after the other.
white text. bite you spuds.
Spurs are not a shitty little side. They are not to be compared to Leicester. Totally different situations. Pochettino is a good manager. He has totally transformed the club. They are serious now. The manner of the comeback against Swansea showed that they have developed mental strength and grit.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Spurs are not a shitty little side. They are not to be compared to Leicester. Totally different situations. Pochettino is a good manager. He has totally transformed the club. They are serious now. The manner of the comeback against Swansea showed that they have developed mental strength and grit.
white text. You bit. ;)

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
At the beginning of the season I was content with a top 4 finish after the shit show last season. To be top of the league with the high possibility of winning the league is really the cherry on top. Even at this point it's been a fantastic first season for Conte. Going up against the more Premier League experienced managers and still coming up on top is no easy feat, especially with a squad that is only slightly above average; certainly not great.

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
People still writing off Spurs catching us are naive. I certainly cannot look too far ahead, at the moment Spurs are continuing to get results and as long as they continue doing that, it's only us who can slip up. It really is our title to lose right now.

vadimivich

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
At the beginning of the season I was content with a top 4 finish after the shit show last season. To be top of the league with the high possibility of winning the league is really the cherry on top. Even at this point it's been a fantastic first season for Conte. Going up against the more Premier League experienced managers and still coming up on top is no easy feat, especially with a squad that is only slightly above average; certainly not great.
No European football and an incredible injury record haven't hurt either. I think if you swap Spurs and Chelsea's injury records this season, Lloris would be lifting the trophy at the end of the season but it just wasn't mean to be. Spurs have played a grand total of 5 matches with the complete back 5 (Rose, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier and Lloris) and that's not even mentioning the obvious Kane injur(ies) and Lamela basically missing the whole season.

Fair play to Chelsea though, they took advantage of their consistent health and ground out results - especially at the start of the season when they were a bit wobbly. They will finish on 90 points or higher, and that's a tremendous total.

RedDevil@84

People still writing off Spurs catching us are naive. I certainly cannot look too far ahead, at the moment Spurs are continuing to get results and as long as they continue doing that, it's only us who can slip up. It really is our title to lose right now.
Stop the reverse jinxing. There is no way Chelsea is going to drop 7 pts in 8 games.

GBBQ

I could see Chelsea dropping 7 points (its been a weird season) but I can't see Spurs picking up 7 more points than Chelsea.

Northstand

I could see Chelsea dropping 7 points (its been a weird season) but I can't see Spurs picking up 7 more points than Chelsea.
Exactly. It's ridiculous to claim there is "no chance" of Chelsea dropping 7 points (5 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat), but Spurs have their work cut out taking advantage of such a situation.

Treble_Winning

No European football and an incredible injury record haven't hurt either. I think if you swap Spurs and Chelsea's injury records this season, Lloris would be lifting the trophy at the end of the season but it just wasn't mean to be. Spurs have played a grand total of 5 matches with the complete back 5 (Rose, Walker, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier and Lloris) and that's not even mentioning the obvious Kane injur(ies) and Lamela basically missing the whole season.

Fair play to Chelsea though, they took advantage of their consistent health and ground out results - especially at the start of the season when they were a bit wobbly. They will finish on 90 points or higher, and that's a tremendous total.
Being able to minimize injuries is a HUGE part of modern football and it is so often under rated. Chelsea are winning because Hazard, Costa, Courtois, Kante, Cahill, Pedro and Fabregas have missed extremely few games. Their medical team is doing some good work. Who did they sign to replace Eva Carneiro? We should be looking out for top class medical talent as well for our own club. It's not trivial.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Being able to minimize injuries is a HUGE part of modern football and it is so often under rated. Chelsea are winning because Hazard, Costa, Courtois, Kante, Cahill, Pedro and Fabregas have missed extremely few games. Their medical team is doing some good work. Who did they sign to replace Eva Carneiro? We should be looking out for top class medical talent as well for our own club. It's not trivial.
That's all important but you need a slice of luck also - Kane's injuries for example all took place on the pitch from tackles, etc. and no medical team on the planet can stop that happening.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
This makes sense. Youre a Spurs fan posing as a United fan.
The hate for Chelsea now is clear why and the lyrical waxing you always give Spurs.
The facade you put on being a United fan is just to hide your stench, but honey that stench stinks too much.

Treble_Winning

This makes sense. Youre a Spurs fan posing as a United fan.
The hate for Chelsea now is clear why and the lyrical waxing you always give Spurs.
The facade you put on being a United fan is just to hide your stench, but honey that stench stinks too much.
Not at all. I don't hate Chelsea nor do I love Spurs. I just think that Spurs play football in the right way and have a very under rated team and manager, who lacks the profile of Mourinho or Guardiola but is quietly doing a very good job. People are quick to write off Spurs because of their past image of being "bottlers" and nearly-men, but they are clearly no longer the Spurs of old. Some people need to see things for what they are, and shed their age-old dogmatic biases.

Yes, Spurs aren't part of the entrenched big four but they are really up and coming and I would regard them as our most serious challengers next season, along with Chelsea. Arsenal, Liverpool and City don't impress me one single bit. City were hopeless against Chelsea, to dominate possession against them home and away, yet lose 2-5 on aggregate across both games due to their woeful finishing, shows that Guardiola has lost his lustre and can't really win unless he coaches the largest horse in the race.

The original post I replied to called Spurs a "shitty little side" and compared them to Leicester. Any reasonable person would see that Spurs and Leicester can't really he compared. The situations aren't even close to being similar.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Not at all. I don't hate Chelsea nor do I love Spurs. I just think that Spurs play football in the right way and have a very under rated team and manager, who lacks the profile of Mourinho or Guardiola but is quietly doing a very good job. People are quick to write off Spurs because of their past image of being "bottlers" and nearly-men, but they are clearly no longer the Spurs of old. Some people need to see things for what they are, and shed their age-old dogmatic biases.

Yes, Spurs aren't part of the entrenched big four but they are really up and coming and I would regard them as our most serious challengers next season, along with Chelsea. Arsenal, Liverpool and City don't impress me one single bit. City were hopeless against Chelsea, to dominate possession against them home and away, yet lose 2-5 on aggregate across both games due to their woeful finishing, shows that Guardiola has lost his lustre and can't really win unless he coaches the largest horse in the race.
:rolleyes::lol:
You mean the same way they did not bottle it last year? Wind your neck in.

Last edited:

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Also there's no way Spurs are ending the season on a 13 match winning streak. Not with the current injury list, and just not in reality period.
Agree, but when Spurs enevitably drop a result everyone will get the "Spursy" and "bottle job" quotes out yet again to explain how we failed.

The fact we're even chasing currently without Lloris, Wanyama, Kane, Rose, Winks, etc. Is amazing to me and the fact we've done so all year while missing every first teamer at one point or another boggles my mind.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
A complete lack of midweek fixtures always seems to do wonders for a medical team.

DellaNe

Supports
Chelsea
A complete lack of midweek fixtures always seems to do wonders for a medical team.
But we've had very few injuries in the last few seasons, even when we were playing in Europe

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Much as it pains me to admit, your side has been brilliant this year. I do hope Poch stays and that you can continue to build-if Lamela goes back to Italy and perhaps if Sissokho goes to France you could attract some very decent players. I think you need another wide forward and perhaps another CB, for me Wimmer isn't convincing.

Also to be fair to Stones, that ball took a last second deflection that made the chance very awkward-Kompany's head really did City no favours this match.
I think it is fair to say that we've surpassed expectations this season, for opposition fans and for a lot of ours too (including me)!

Yep. I'm not going to get hung up about it but Poch has done a great job and a lot of what he says indicates that he wants to stay here for a while and build a bit of a legacy. Whether that comes to pass or whether his head is turned, we'll have to see but I see no reason to disbelieve him now.

Agree with a lot of that. I really like Lamela actually but he's spent two of the three seasons injured. I think he'll stay because we won't get our outlay back on a player who's spent the entire season injured. But he can have a big impact. The rest is definitely true though.

Can't blame Stones, was just thinking of what could be now!

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
But we've had very few injuries in the last few seasons, even when we were playing in Europe
Have you? Well there's got to be some luck in there for sure, but it means the physio is doing something right.

That said freak injuries do happen and Spurs have had several this season when we managed to have almost none last season.

MullerUtd

Shame that useless City can't even get a draw at Chelsea, Spurs beating Swansea right at the death means that a 5 point gap with 9 games to go means the title race is still very much alive. It's really Chelsea's to lose now.

Treble_Winning

Yep you're a different Spurs side these days. You'll be a force next season IF you can hold onto Poch and not get the Wembley Woes.
I completely agree. Pochettino is an under rated manager. People look at Spurs with a certain kind of bias ("they will Spurs it up, Spurs are Spurs") but the truth is that they have shown a newfound consistency as well as a winning mentality as evidenced by their Swansea comeback. That was the sort of comeback that is normally associated with winning teams. But people disregarded it because of their age-old biases against Spurs. Historical factors aside there is no reason why the CURRENT Spurs team shouldn't be considered a major threat. I fully expect that they will be our main rivals next season, along with Chelsea. But I would give the manager of the year award to Pochettino as he has gone about his work quietly and the results have been impressive.

They will be a force next season. They are already a force this season and will probably run Chelsea close, and eventually finish second. That would be one of spurs' best seasons in a very very long time. Pochettino deserves credit.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If they gave a manager for the 'last 2\3 years' he should get it at least. But this year Conte has also been very impressive.