2017 Pre Season | Barcelona vs Manchester United

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Can't wait to get this out of the way so we can fly back to Europe. Transfers will happen then.
Will they though? :p
Can see our transfer business dragging on for a while, especially after Jose's comment that we may have to settle for 3 rather than 4 players.

SqueakyWeasel

Transfers: “I don’t know, honestly, Ed is in control, he did Lindelof and Lukaku, he knows that I would like two more players but he also knows that I have balance, I depend on the situation, the market, and if my club is unable to do two players and just one, I accept that as a consequence of the market now.

“Our relationship is good and I just wait for good news, and good news is to have the players, maybe just the player as soon as possible because to work together with the team is really important.

“But I’m calm, I like my players, I like my squad, I trust them, so I’m calm and that’s important.”

What he'd like: “I’m happy with my squad but I would like to have two more players, I never hide that, one player a midfield player would give me more options to the balance and the team.

“Another one an attacking player, especially that can play through the wings to give me more attacking options but I never speak about players that belong to other teams.

“I don’t like if any manager comes and would say he would like one of my players, that’s not correct. I would like two more players but probably I only get one.”

About Barca: “It’s the best way to finish the pre-season, we start playing against MLS teams, which was a very good experience for us, to play against a fit team was good for us, then we got a good English team, then Real Madrid.

“Real Madrid played almost with their best team, only Ramos and Ronaldo didn’t play, so we had a good feeling and with Barcelona it looks like everybody is, new players, new manager, so it’s the best way to finish the pre-season to play against the best players, the best teams.

Comments about Bailliey's suspension: “My view is that normally with Uefa what you get is what you get and you accept with a happy face or a bad face. You accept it was a red card in a semi-final, I think the punishment of not to play the final is enough, it’s a big punishment not to play the final, and I say that normally he would deserve a clean sheet and start the next season and ready to play the Super Cup.

“But now he’s an important player for us who is not able to play the Super Cup and the first match of the Champions League group stage but not to play the Europa League final and Super Cup is very very harsh.”

Chicarito: “No, because he left the club a few years ago. I’m not sure if it was his decision or the manager’s but he’s a good player, he’s a player that will always score goals.

“ I would always welcome him in my squad because he doesn’t need many minutes on the pitch to score, but we move in another direction in a younger player in Lukaku and we have Rashford who can be a striker, so we didn’t feel that need.

But no doubt from West Ham to get a player of his experience and quality is very good.”

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Transfers: “I don’t know, honestly, Ed is in control, he did Lindelof and Lukaku, he knows that I would like two more players but he also knows that I have balance, I depend on the situation, the market, and if my club is unable to do two players and just one, I accept that as a consequence of the market now.

“Our relationship is good and I just wait for good news, and good news is to have the players, maybe just the player as soon as possible because to work together with the team is really important.

“But I’m calm, I like my players, I like my squad, I trust them, so I’m calm and that’s important.”

What he'd like: “I’m happy with my squad but I would like to have two more players, I never hide that, one player a midfield player would give me more options to the balance and the team.

“Another one an attacking player, especially that can play through the wings to give me more attacking options but I never speak about players that belong to other teams.

“I don’t like if any manager comes and would say he would like one of my players, that’s not correct. I would like two more players but probably I only get one.”

About Barca: “It’s the best way to finish the pre-season, we start playing against MLS teams, which was a very good experience for us, to play against a fit team was good for us, then we got a good English team, then Real Madrid.

“Real Madrid played almost with their best team, only Ramos and Ronaldo didn’t play, so we had a good feeling and with Barcelona it looks like everybody is, new players, new manager, so it’s the best way to finish the pre-season to play against the best players, the best teams.

Comments about Bailliey's suspension: “My view is that normally with Uefa what you get is what you get and you accept with a happy face or a bad face. You accept it was a red card in a semi-final, I think the punishment of not to play the final is enough, it’s a big punishment not to play the final, and I say that normally he would deserve a clean sheet and start the next season and ready to play the Super Cup.

“But now he’s an important player for us who is not able to play the Super Cup and the first match of the Champions League group stage but not to play the Europa League final and Super Cup is very very harsh.”

Chicarito: “No, because he left the club a few years ago. I’m not sure if it was his decision or the manager’s but he’s a good player, he’s a player that will always score goals.

“ I would always welcome him in my squad because he doesn’t need many minutes on the pitch to score, but we move in another direction in a younger player in Lukaku and we have Rashford who can be a striker, so we didn’t feel that need.

But no doubt from West Ham to get a player of his experience and quality is very good.”
Great roundup cheers @SqueakyWeasel

Web of Bissaka

Spain internationals Juan Mata and Ander Herrera should return from injury in Sunday’s match against Valerenga in Oslo, Norway, according to Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho.

Both players have trained individually at the club’s Georgetown University base in Washington DC this week, but they are not yet fit enough to feature in Wednesday’s tie with FC Barcelona.

However, while speaking to MUTV, Mourinho provided this positive update on the duo: “They cannot play tomorrow [against Barcelona] but I think they will recover in time to be integrated with the team when we go back to work next Saturday. They will probably play on Sunday [against Valerenga].”

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Fecking hell I feel bad for those guys having to play and train in DC in the middle of summer. Doesn't look like the highs are too bad this week but that humidity there is killer, especially if it's overcast tomorrow.

Cantonagotmehere

Going tonight with my 2 oldest kids. We are very, very excited. Last and only time I saw United was at the same place vs Barca 6 years ago. The stadium is brutal and the traffic awful, but I'll be smiling the whole time. I don't get to wear the old Cantona kit often.

MarylandMUFan

Fecking hell I feel bad for those guys having to play and train in DC in the middle of summer. Doesn't look like the highs are too bad this week but that humidity there is killer, especially if it's overcast tomorrow.
They got lucky as weather the past couple of days has been a lot better than the previous week. I went for a run in the afternoon yesterday and it was actually tolerable. It's a shame they don't have it in Baltimore because FedEx field really is a crappy stadium.

McLovin

Bites pillows thinking of John Terry
Going tonight with my 2 oldest kids. We are very, very excited. Last and only time I saw United was at the same place vs Barca 6 years ago. The stadium is brutal and the traffic awful, but I'll be smiling the whole time. I don't get to wear the old Cantona kit often.
Great...enjoy it. Never too early for the kids to become fully indoctrinated.

Cantonagotmehere

They got lucky as weather the past couple of days has been a lot better than the previous week. I went for a run in the afternoon yesterday and it was actually tolerable. It's a shame they don't have it in Baltimore because FedEx field really is a crappy stadium.
Totally agree, I also live near Baltimore and am biased. Its so nice having the stadium downtown with different options for pre and post game. Dreading the drive tonight, but we will have a blast. Need a George Best DVD for the ride down....

WhoDaGOAT

Why are people so concerned about playing a strong side?

Players like Tuanzebe needs minutes. We have 3 more games after this before we face West Ham.

I'd like to see Bailly and Jones play more minutes together, as they're likely to be our starting CB partnership for the first few weeks of the season. But we need to make sure the entire squad play enough minutes.

Raw

I think we win this whole competition if we win outright against Barca. The Sextuple is on!!

Red Rom

First time getting to see United live so I'm beyond excited! In the Supporters section nonetheless! My biggest hope is to see Rashford, Lukaku, and Pogba on the field at the same time, as that combination would be intriguing to watch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think we might see the 3-5-2 return tonight.

Can see us trying to take advantage of their weaker defence and smash them on the counter.

SqueakyWeasel

First time getting to see United live so I'm beyond excited! In the Supporters section nonetheless! My biggest hope is to see Rashford, Lukaku, and Pogba on the field at the same time, as that combination would be intriguing to watch.
Have a great time man! Just out of interest, you mention something called the "supporter section" is that as opposed to a "corporate" section or are there lots of other sections in US football? I've quite enjoyed watchin the lack of segregation in the US pre-season tour and just wondered how it worked over there? Not taking the piss – genuine question btw! Also I heard the cheapest ticket was like $100 is that right? :nervous:

MarylandMUFan

Why are people so concerned about playing a strong side?

Players like Tuanzebe needs minutes. We have 3 more games after this before we face West Ham.

I'd like to see Bailly and Jones play more minutes together, as they're likely to be our starting CB partnership for the first few weeks of the season. But we need to make sure the entire squad play enough minutes.
I care for selfish reasons because I am going to the match and would like to see Lukaku and Rashford play together for a half. I also want to watch some of the young players as well.

MarylandMUFan

Have a great time man! Just out of interest, you mention something called the "supporter section" is that as opposed to a "corporate" section or are there lots of other sections in US football? I've quite enjoyed watchin the lack of segregation in the US pre-season tour and just wondered how it worked over there? Not taking the piss – genuine question btw! Also I heard the cheapest ticket was like $100 is that right? :nervous:
You can buy tickets wherever you want but they tried to mark the seating chart with a United half and a Barcelona half to get people to self select where to sit. In previous years they have had packages where you get tickets behind your teams goal and a team scarf and lanyard (which really created as close to a supporters section as you can get for a friendly) but I don't think they did that this year.
For MLS matches, they have tried to follow a European model (or a college American football model) where you can sit wherever you want but they have a reserve section for traveling supporters. I quite like that. We stopped going to American football (NFL) games because the amount of fights in the crowd and how hostile it is, due in large parts to the number of invading traveling fans sitting in the home sections.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Does anyone know when we're flying out of US? I guess it's tomorrow?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Think I might give tonight a miss then :lol:

SqueakyWeasel

You can buy tickets wherever you want but they tried to mark the seating chart with a United half and a Barcelona half to get people to self select where to sit. In previous years they have had packages where you get tickets behind your teams goal and a team scarf and lanyard (which really created as close to a supporters section as you can get for a friendly) but I don't think they did that this year.
For MLS matches, they have tried to follow a European model (or a college American football model) where you can sit wherever you want but they have a reserve section for traveling supporters. I quite like that. We stopped going to American football (NFL) games because the amount of fights in the crowd and how hostile it is, due in large parts to the number of invading traveling fans sitting in the home sections.
Thanks, have a great time - what did you pay (face value) of your ticket? The prices I've been hearing are outrageous!

Shuriken

"He can't score a goal, yet he's giving an interview."
:D
Not too sure. To me it sounded more like he said "he can't score a goal if he gives an interview" – makes a little more sense since Lingard actually did score last time out… and didn't miss a penalty either, since he didn't take one.