2017 Pre Season | Real Salt Lake vs Manchester United

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
My country is in Europe, therefore I am European. My girlfriend is from China, therefore she's Asian.
People whose countries are in South America are South Americans or Latinos.
If you are from Canada are you not North American? I thought it's only people from the states are that bad in geography.
What you on about you

You're geograpically correct but everyone uses the term 'American' to mean people from the United States.

Will Absolute

Did we really? The goals looked like we were a bit more energetic but could've been brief moments.

I didn't expect anything to change, because we don't much new to add. I do think players that can offer something different or are simply better would see us improve a lot.
Well, the game wasn't great entertainment. The problem is we only play good football in brief flashes; the rest of the time we're just threading water. How that has become part of the club's mentality I don't know.

I was hoping we'd sign Morata, since what we need most is fluidity of play, and Lukaku doesn't look like he'll help in that regard.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Well, the game wasn't great entertainment. The problem is we only play good football in brief flashes; the rest of the time we're just threading water. How that has become part of the club's mentality I don't know.

I was hoping we'd sign Morata, since what we need most is fluidity of play, and Lukaku doesn't look like he'll help in that regard.
I haven't watched the game yet, so not going to comment on this performance. The next games will give us more of an idea where we are going and how Lukaku copes against bigger teams, same with the other players. He seems to like playing City and we are further along in our preparations. We need him to come good in these big games. Yes he loves scoring against the smaller sides, which is what we failed to do last season, but so will the others in the Top 6/7. He also has to produce in the games against the so-called challengers. If he doesn't do that or nobody else does, we are in exactly the same boat as last season.

tomaldinho1

I heard that too... like it's unfathomable that a club as big as United might have been in for Lukaku and Griezmann at the same time.
Also completely forgetting they are very very different strikers
Thick as shit commentator. Probably thinks everyone plays 4-4-2 and the ideal is the Crouch/Defoe tandem going on up top

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You're geograpically correct but everyone uses the term 'American' to mean people from the United States.
I don't. I refer to people from the USA as someone from the states, US or USA.
I do understand though, to most people in the UK, America means USA, even though the USA forms only a small part of North and South America.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I don't. I refer to people from the USA as someone from the states, US or USA.
I do understand though, to most people in the UK, America means USA, even though the USA forms only a small part of North and South America.
Well you definitely wouldn't call someone from Canada American like that fella was suggesting :lol:

red_john

Early days but it's difficult to see where there required improvement in attack is going to come from within the squad.
With Lukaku currently being the only recruitment in attack up to now it's hard to know what our formation will be this season. 2 games into the pre season I can certainly see how Jose wants to play Lukaku but not sure about the players around him. I still think we will recruit another attacking player before the season starts so I guess we wait until then. It will most likely be 4-3-3 hybrid if that is a term....

Acole9

Outstanding
Just finished watching the match a short time ago. I stand by what I said about the MLS but fair play to Real Salt Lake (stupid name) they gave us a good workout. We played well in the first half but the second half was very disjointed, it was partly down to all the rolling substitutions they seemingly had. I wouldn't say there was a particular player that stood out for us although Martial looked lively again which is very promising.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
With Lukaku currently being the only recruitment in attack up to now it's hard to know what our formation will be this season. 2 games into the pre season I can certainly see how Jose wants to play Lukaku but not sure about the players around him. I still think we will recruit another attacking player before the season starts so I guess we wait until then. It will most likely be 4-3-3 hybrid if that is a term....
Given the lack of a quality winger/wide forward in the squad the 3-5-2 is looking likely. Will be interesting to see what we play against City.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've just finished watching this and wow that was terrible. Even for pre-season standards the football we offered was so dire.

Dante

Average bang
Do people not understand what pre-season is about? It's about getting players match sharp. That's it.

Managers often hold morning training sessions followed by evening friendlies, with the express purpose of knackering out their players in order bring them up to the requisite levels of fitness. How else do you explain Jones getting out-muscled by a 5 foot 6 striker? That never happens in the PL. If there's one thing he's good at, it's one-on-one tussles.

Yesterday, our players got swapped out after 30 minutes each. Not only did the break in continuity result in a poor performance, it probably also hints towards the fact that Mourinho had put them through their paces earlier in the day (particularly when you consider that the match was held at 8pm local time). 30 minutes of football in a day doesn't help anyone. But 30 minutes plus a full training session is exactly what gets you ready for the season.

Pre-season friendlies mean feck all. All they tell you is which players got the most unfit over the Summer. Everyone'll catch up with the gym rats by August.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Do people not understand what pre-season is about? It's about getting players match sharp. That's it.

Managers often hold morning training sessions followed by evening friendlies, with the express purpose of knackering out their players in order bring them up to the requisite levels of fitness. How else do you explain Jones getting out-muscled by a 5 foot 6 striker? That never happens in the PL. If there's one thing he's good at, it's one-on-one tussles.

Yesterday, our players got swapped out after 30 minutes each. Not only did the break in continuity result in a poor performance, it probably also hints towards the fact that Mourinho had put them through their paces earlier in the day (particularly when you consider that the match was held at 8pm local time). 30 minutes of football in a day doesn't help anyone. But 30 minutes plus a full training session is exactly what gets you ready for the season.

Pre-season friendlies mean feck all. All they tell you is which players got the most unfit over the Summer. They'll all catch up with the gym rats by August.
That was the opponents' team. We were the ones in black, and we've only changed all the team at half-time.

DMacgraw

Given that this is very early in pre-season, the very high altitude in Salt Lake City, and that the Real players were each guaranteed only 30 minutes each so they could each put in their maximum effort during that short period, I am inclined to wait for more signs of what to expect with respect to our ability to compete when the league actually starts. Nevertheless, last nights's game caused me some concerns that we may still be afflicted by our biggest problems last season: 1) inability to neutralize the high press with an astute forward pass; 2) lack of urgency in moving the ball forward; and, 3) inability to put the effing ball in the net.

All three problems were glaringly obvious in last night's game. When pressed, our only answer was to pass the ball backward; when we had possession we only made backward and sideways passes until the opponents were all back in their defensive positions and were no longer pressing, then and only then did we feel safe enough to move the ball forward across the center line; we still haven't grasped the idea that moving the ball forward quickly is the best chance to create scoring opportunities; and, finally, just like last season, our forwards can't seem to find the composure to simply shoot the ball into the net when presented with the clearest chances.

I really do hope that the coaches are figuring out ways to overcome these deficiencies in our game, and I'll be looking at the City and Barcelona games to see if we are learning to cope with high-pressing teams. If we are still as timid in those games as we were in yesterday's game, then I am afraid we may be facing another long season ahead, no matter who we buy.