2019/20 Rivals - Arsenal

United58

And you're saying Ole doesn't want to play good football either? We've played some of the best football under him since Fergie left. We've been ponderous under Moyes, LvG and Mourinho and even under Fergie at times. Arteta may experience a bit of an upturn but I believe things will gradually decline.
Ole wants us to be a counter attacking team though (at least, that's what he's going for for now). I agree he's been far, far better than Moyes, LVG and Jose but that isn't difficult. We've been ponderous a lot of the time against the smaller teams and hopefully we can keep up our recent run of form against them

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Arteta seems to want to play good football though - with Ole it can be very ponderous at times, and when you're not winning and playing badly, it can really turn the fans against you
That's not really based on anything other than him being Pep's assistant and the media talking a good game once he was appointed. They have not stylistically pulled up any trees in his two matches so far and were pretty much camped in their own half during the second period against Chelsea. Early days, mind.

cyberman

Arteta seems to want to play good football though - with Ole it can be very ponderous at times, and when you're not winning and playing badly, it can really turn the fans against you
Everytime a rival hires a manager we have to hear how they all want to play good football. Next itll be how can they immediately get their ideas across while we need 25 transfer windows har har.
Can we not wait and see? We know nothing of Arteta as a manager. This place was praising Lampard and fecking Unai himself a few games in.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How is this worked out and why is theres so low? They never had problems scoring goals before.
It calculates the number of chances being created alongside how big the chance was and then calculates an expected score based on all of that. For example if you do nothing in attack then in your only forray forward smash one in from 30 yards then I imagine your XG rate would be something like 0.10. If you scored one but missed great chances outside of that I imagine it would be something like 2.88.

It can be a good forecast of what's to come, for example, this time last year Spurs were close to City and Liverpool but were outperforming their XP metre by over 10 points, they were declining despite their position and it was only a matter of time before it started showing in results.

Djemba-Djemba

fecking hell, if we beat them tomorrow we will be 10 points ahead of them.

We've been awful for long stretches of this season, so to potentially be 10 clear of them shows just how incredibly awful their season has been so far.

If we score first tomorrow I think we'll be fine.

It calculates the number of chances being created alongside how big the chance was and then calculates an expected score based on all of that. For example if you do nothing in attack then in your only forray forward smash one in from 30 yards then I imagine your XG rate would be something like 0.10. If you scored one but missed great chances outside of that I imagine it would be something like 2.88.

It can be a good forecast of what's to come, for example, this time last year Spurs were close to City and Liverpool but were outperforming their XP metre by over 10 points, they were declining despite their position and it was only a matter of time before it started showing in results.
Ohh i see, thanks for explaining.

Honestly they should have stuck with Wenger, they were never this bad.

jus2nang

Supports
Arsenal
Ohh i see, thanks for explaining.

Honestly they should have stuck with Wenger, they were never this bad.
Wenger had to go, he really did.

Just because the club has made a complete pig's ear of his replacement and other aspects of running the club doesn't mean that letting Wenger go was the wrong decision.

I feel that ownership these days matters more than - or at least as much as the manager of a club. With managers being "head coaches" these days and having less say on transfer policy, it's the structure above him that is key.

At Arsenal it's a mess and it might continue to be a mess as long as Kroenke remains.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Wenger had to go, he really did.

Just because the club has made a complete pig's ear of his replacement and other aspects of running the club doesn't mean that letting Wenger go was the wrong decision.

I feel that ownership these days matters more than - or at least as much as the manager of a club. With managers being "head coaches" these days and having less say on transfer policy, it's the structure above him that is key.

At Arsenal it's a mess and it might continue to be a mess as long as Kroenke remains.
That's great news.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I'm praying to high heaven that Moyes sees Mustafi as a cheap solution to his defensive woes. I reckon you'll see Gooners dancing outside the Emirates if we sell that garbage to somebody.

ariveded

Why did Arsenal hire Mikel for 3.5 years? It simply doesn’t make any sense. 8 months fixed + 1 year optional would have been sufficient enough. Mikel would have taken it.

No point in 3.5 years, if he just fails this season. And not like Mikel is wanted by other big teams...

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Why did Arsenal hire Mikel for 3.5 years? It simply doesn’t make any sense. 8 months fixed + 1 year optional would have been sufficient enough. Mikel would have taken it.

No point in 3.5 years, if he just fails this season. And not like Mikel is wanted by other big teams...
If Edu doesn't work out, i'm putting your name forward to be Arsenal's director of football.

fergiesarmy1

May have been his demands to leave a cosy role at city who may have been promised the city job after Pep leaves.

trims

Supports
Arsenal

I think as others have pointed out, it could be his demands to leave City.

Also from Arsenal's point, what if Arteta does really well and attracts interest from other clubs. With an 8 month or a 1 year contract, we wouldn't get compensation if he decided to leave at the end of it and we'd be in the mess of having to find another manager.

ariveded

I think as others have pointed out, it could be his demands to leave City.

Also from Arsenal's point, what if Arteta does really well and attracts interest from other clubs. With an 8 month or a 1 year contract, we wouldn't get compensation if he decided to leave at the end of it and we'd be in the mess of having to find another manager.
If Arteta does well, he will obviously ask for renewal/more money irrespective of contract length. Now with 3.5 years, he foolishly consider himself as the long term manager when in reality, he will be evaluated firstly on this season.

And if he gets sacked, Arsenal will unnecessarily pay handsome compensation fees. Mikel had little bargaining power for 3.5, maybe 1 or 2 years but that is plain excessive....

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Had to do a double take when i just saw the table. They've won SIX league games all season. To put in context, we've won 7, Newcastle won 8 and Bournemouth won 7.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Mental that they're in 10th and it's nearly February. Only by goal difference too, they're level on points with Palace, Everton and Newcastle.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Nice bit of character shown by the boys tonight. Happy with that.
Desperately need to start getting 3 points from games. What a season so far. Nearly as mind bogglingly inconsistent and random as last season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Nice second half from them with ten men but Arteta still only has two wins against United & Leeds. He needs to start picking up wins.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
They weren't in the game with 11 men. Scored a freak of a 1st goal. Was a perfect storm for them tonight.

Ooh2B

Supports
Arsenal
Two Defenders in. I’m not sure if they’ll be the answer to our defensive issues, but at least the department of football at the club seem to be addressing those issues.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Two Defenders in. I’m not sure if they’ll be the answer to our defensive issues, but at least the department of football at the club seem to be addressing those issues.

Frees up AMN to try being a midfielder again. Hopefully the new CB stops Mustafi from thinking he's a football player.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
In the last 10 Premier League games Arsenal have only managed 2 wins... :eek:
6 wins in 24, 12 draws, it's an unbelievably shit return :( We need to take advantage of the coming weeks where other Top 6 clubs are playing each other.

hubbuh

I’m usually surprised when Arsenal win. Losing to them has been one of the biggest disappointments of the season.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Arsenal, Spurs and us are all about the same level atm. Blow hot and cold, watch a game one week, like what you are seeing, watch a game a week later and it is a shower of shite where it is a real struggle to get a draw.

But the post Wenger era has hardly been a resounding success.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal, Spurs and us are all about the same level atm. Blow hot and cold, watch a game one week, like what you are seeing, watch a game a week later and it is a shower of shite where it is a real struggle to get a draw.

But the post Wenger era has hardly been a resounding success.
It's been 2 years, bit early to call it an era :lol:

cyberman

Ornstein.. Never change Arsenal. He was out of favour, injured and free in 4 months..

Eyebrows were raised when Cédric Soares arrived at Arsenal’s London Colney base to complete his move wearing a knee brace. However, there is confidence his ligament problem is healing well. That said, it was a transfer that came as a pleasant surprise to Southampton. As deadline week drew closer, news of Arsenal’s interest surfaced and Southampton could hardly believe it was true. They saw barely any logic in the approach and put it down to certain relationships between Arsenal and Soares’s people, yet there were no complaints from the south coast. A deal was done that suited all sides — the package is worth around £5m to Saints and Arsenal feel that, once fit, in Soares they will get exactly what they were seeking from the market.

awop

Supports
Arsenal
Such a weird case to focus on. We needed some sort of RB cover right now not in 6 months, we got it for 2M (the 5M includes his wages and an end of contract bonus that the player waived) which is nothing. You can argue the quality of the player (i personnaly thinks he's fine for the role he's been brought for) but to make it seems like we threw money out the window is stupid. If he's really that shit then he doesn't get signed in the summer. We dodged the Kurzawa bullet that could have been a real tragedy. Cedric is fine.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Such a weird case to focus on. We needed some sort of RB cover right now not in 6 months, we got it for 2M (the 5M includes his wages and an end of contract bonus that the player waived) which is nothing. You can argue the quality of the player (i personnaly thinks he's fine for the role he's been brought for) but to make it seems like we threw money out the window is stupid. If he's really that shit then he doesn't get signed in the summer. We dodged the Kurzawa bullet that could have been a real tragedy. Cedric is fine.
I feel it is a good deal, look at Spurs, needed a RB(Aurier :lol:) and a striker. They brought in a winger, why?

awop

Supports
Arsenal
He's really not very good.
He's becoming a problem; Effort alone doesn't cut it anymore, 13 draws in 26 games is ridiculous, we need goals and if even Aubameyang starts missing sitters....
I had more hope for a 18yo newbie to get us a goal than our 50M international striker.

Robbie Boy

He's becoming a problem; Effort alone doesn't cut it anymore, 13 draws in 26 games is ridiculous, we need goals and if even Aubameyang starts missing sitters....
I had more hope for a 18yo newbie to get us a goal than our 50M international striker.
He's definitely useful but I don't think he's ever really been as good as expected.