2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

haram

I don't even think it's close. I honestly believe Kane is in a tier of players above Eriksen.

Don't know why anyone would think Eriksen is better, other than because people might have a preference for more technically gifted players. But you simply can't ignore the fact that Eriksen is a bloody inconsistent and often frustrating player, shit at times last season I wanted him dropped, despite our total lack of other options.

Eriksen is one of our best, but Kane is the star man at the club for good reason.
I am a fan of Eriksen too, but as you say, Kane is a tier above.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
That is five hamstring or thigh injuries in the last 20 months for Alli. If I were a Spurs supporter, I'd be a bit worried about him going down the Aaron Ramsey path and a significant hamstring/thigh injury ruling him out a couple months becoming an annual occurrence.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
That is five hamstring or thigh injuries in the last 20 months for Alli. If I were a Spurs supporter, I'd be a bit worried about him going down the Aaron Ramsey path and a significant hamstring/thigh injury ruling him out a couple months becoming an annual occurrence.
Yeah it's not great, let's hope there is something he can do to lower the risk of this happening as often.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah it's not great, let's hope there is something he can do to lower the risk of this happening as often.
I always thought it probably has something to do with his knee constantly being K-taped. You end up getting imbalances.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Odd transfer window from Tottenham. Throwing huge money (from their perspective) for NDombele but no other newcomers coming in. Guess they're relying on thier young players to patch up the holes unless they do some late business.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Odd transfer window from Tottenham. Throwing huge money (from their perspective) for NDombele but no other newcomers coming in. Guess they're relying on thier young players to patch up the holes unless they do some late business.
Any player heavily linked? I saw only Sessegnon and read Betis are fed up with low ball offers from Spurs for Lo Celso.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

If we finish it with no more incomings then quite frankly I'd like the club to be sold as soon as is possible to people who actually want to improve the first team.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Think it's been Sessegnon, Lo Celso and a late influx of rumours about Bruno Fernandes. That's been pretty much it all Summer.
Poch is really a genius, keeping them so high in the table with no investment.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If we finish it with no more incomings then quite frankly I'd like the club to be sold as soon as is possible to people who actually want to improve the first team.
I think thats a tad unfair considering the investment that has been made off the field in the last couple of years. Still hopeful we get at least 1 - 2 more signing in before Thursday evening though. If we don't I'll be raging.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You're so overdramatic, it's not that bad :lol:
We've signed one player in two seasons and had multiple outgoings.

This window: Llorente, Janssen, Vorm and Trippier out. Ndombele in. After we made CL again and received the CL final money.

It's absolute shite levels of investment in the squad. Everyone is spending more than us in the top six, including Arsenal who didn't make the CL. Clubs in mid-table like Everton are showing more ambition in the transfer market than we are, and this isn't a one off it's now years of this same old story. Kinda getting tired of it now and want to start actually showing some belief and ambition that we can compete without Pochettino heroics every fecking season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Money Spent in the Last Five Seasons:

£907,890,000 - Manchester City
£781,100,000 - Manchester United
£738,800,000 - Chelsea
£563,280,000 - Liverpool
£524,800,000 - Everton
£489,240,000 - Arsenal
£429,050,000 - Leicester City
£361,900,000 - West Ham
£347,000,000 - Tottenham
£338,710,000 - Newcastle
£322,650,000 - Aston Villa
£307,100,000 - Southampton
£279,300,000 - Wolves
£272,950,000 - Bournemouth
£263,580,000 - Watford
£223,360,000 - Brighton
£193,700,000 - Crystal Palace
£149,450,000 - Burnley
£98,740,000 - Norwich City
£57,410,000 - Sheffield United

The fact Newcastle, Villa and Southampton are pretty close to Tottenhams values should indicate the issues they have.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I think thats a tad unfair considering the investment that has been made off the field in the last couple of years. Still hopeful we get at least 1 - 2 more signing in before Thursday evening though. If we don't I'll be raging.
Off the field investment is great but on field investment is a fecking disgrace. We're spending like less than a mid table side, facing more outgoings than incomings every bloody season, and forcing our manager more and more to rely on untested youth. Players leave and simply don't get replaced till much later (trippier, dembele), we don't see any effort to plan for the future on the field (eriksen/toby are leaving on frees next year) and in general what we're seeing is a decline in squad quality season after season.

It's a slow, steady decline but it's very much in line with what we saw happen to Arsenal. Enough to keep up with the top four chase (just about) for a few seasons which keeps the board happy so no spending is seen. Negative/even net spend basically every summer regardless of what happens in the season. Now we're seeing the likes of Eriksen/Toby leave the club, just like Arsenal started to lose their stars. I don't want to face the same situation they did where it's a fight to get back to the top four, but that's what we're headed for.

If we sign nobody else then it's a clear message from the board: we are only attempting to do the bare minimum to try and keep CL, perform miracles Poch.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

This window: Llorente, Janssen, Vorm and Trippier out. Ndombele in. After we made CL again and received the CL final money.

It's absolute shite levels of investment in the squad. Everyone is spending more than us in the top six, including Arsenal who didn't make the CL. Clubs in mid-table like Everton are showing more ambition in the transfer market than we are, and this isn't a one off it's now years of this same old story. Kinda getting tired of it now and want to start actually showing some belief and ambition that we can compete without Pochettino heroics every fecking season.
Llorente is out ? Didnt know that. So who is your backup striker?
You still need couple of FBs , right ?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I get his frustration, this summer we were told it would be different at Spurs and all they've done is replace Dembele and you could argue given Sissoko did a pretty good job at that already.

Question for the Spurs fans would you actually trade the signing of Ndombele for say an attacking player instead?

£738,800,000 - Chelsea
£563,280,000 - Liverpool
£524,800,000 - Everton
£489,240,000 - Arsenal
£361,900,000 - West Ham
£347,000,000 - Tottenham
£338,710,000 - Newcastle
£279,300,000 - Wolves
£263,580,000 - Watford
£223,360,000 - Brighton
£149,450,000 - Burnley

The fact Newcastle, Villa and Southampton are pretty close to Tottenhams values should indicate the issues they have.
I get his frustration, this summer we were told it would be different at Spurs and all they've done is replace Dembele and you could argue given Sissoko did a pretty good job at that already.

Question for the Spurs fans would you actually trade the signing of Ndombele for say an attacking player instead?
There's a new stadium to pay for, I don't see where all the extra cash is supposed to come from?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There's a new stadium to pay for, I don't see where all the extra cash is supposed to come from?
Well again this summer was meant to be different or so we were told. We were told Spurs wouldn't be another Arsenal; crippled in the transfer market due to stadium debt and alas here we are and Spurs have spent less than Arsenal (in theory)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You're forgetting about the money they've had from player sales though. If you look at Net Spend they're actually near the bottom having only spent 66million in the past 5 seasons. I'm pretty sure this has been happening for a while too, it's not a new thing.

The last time they invested a fair chunk of money was back in 08-09.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
For reaching the CL final all in all you get about 88 million. We also qualified again which is another huge boost .. and have the lowest wage bill (by far) out of the top six. Add that to the fact we've sold players recently without replacing them, lost a few players from the wage bill, and in recent transfer windows have gone negative in net spend .. and yes, I think we can expect some cash to be spare after servicing some debts.

All most of us are even asking is to maintain the squad, and we're not even doing that. Backups leave, starting right backs leave .. and they're simply not replaced. It took us a whole year to find a Dembele replacement.

Add to that the fact it was drummed in to us by Levy's biggest fans that the stadium repayments wouldn't stop us being competitive in the market, that we weren't completely saddled by debt. Now the narrative has shifted to 'we have stadium debts so buying players is impossible don't be greedy'.

You're forgetting about the money they've had from player sales though. If you look at Net Spend they're actually near the bottom having only spent 66million in the past 5 seasons. I'm pretty sure this has been happening for a while too, it's not a new thing.

The last time they invested a fair chunk of money was back in 08-09.
Who have they sold apart from Trippier and Jansen? That must have been about £28mil for both, I dont think they got a fee for Dembele he left for free.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
No. We've badly needed that Dembele replacement and another player with quality in midfield for ages, Sissoko is great but can't be relied to carry our midfield on his back, and he's also not a creative player whereas Ndombele looks like he can pick a pass. Badly required since Eriksen is our only other cm with a semblance of creativity.

Whereas in attack I feel Kane, Son and Lucas should be able to do the job, with Parrott potentially coming through (risky) and Alli also able to occupy an advanced position.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Llorente is out ? Didnt know that. So who is your backup striker?
You still need couple of FBs , right ?
Troy Parrott. Although the reality is that if Kane gets injured it'll be Son moved to striker.

Yeah, but it's not happening this window, except maybe we'll get Sessegnon .. but for me he's still incredibly raw and not even really a left back yet, so that's more one for the future. Doesn't even look like we're trying to find a new right back.

For reaching the CL final all in all you get about 88 million. We also qualified again which is another huge boost .. and have the lowest wage bill (by far) out of the top six. Add that to the fact we've sold players recently without replacing them, lost a few players from the wage bill, and in recent transfer windows have gone negative in net spend .. and yes, I think we can expect some cash to be spare after servicing some debts.

All most of us are even asking is to maintain the squad, and we're not even doing that. Backups leave, starting right backs leave .. and they're simply not replaced. It took us a whole year to find a Dembele replacement.

Add to that the fact it was drummed in to us by Levy's biggest fans that the stadium repayments wouldn't stop us being competitive in the market, that we weren't completely saddled by debt. Now the narrative has shifted to 'we have stadium debts so buying players is impossible don't be greedy'.
Yeah I think most of the money is going towards stadium repayments. Obviously you bought Ndomblele for big money and apparently you're getting Sessengon for £30mil as well, so the intentions are there. I think levy is just being cautious.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Troy Parrott. Although the reality is that if Kane gets injured it'll be Son moved to striker.

Yeah, but it's not happening this window, except maybe we'll get Sessegnon .. but for me he's still incredibly raw and not even really a left back yet, so that's more one for the future. Doesn't even look like we're trying to find a new right back.
Yeah Sessegnon wouldn't help. Really thought you guys would challenge the top 2 this time. It's not happening this year.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Definitely not, Ndombele was very badly needed in the centre of the park. Attacking wise we are in pretty good shape though we probably need another central midfielder and an attacking midfielder if Eriksen goes.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

£738,800,000 - Chelsea
£563,280,000 - Liverpool
£524,800,000 - Everton
£489,240,000 - Arsenal
£361,900,000 - West Ham
£347,000,000 - Tottenham
£338,710,000 - Newcastle
£279,300,000 - Wolves
£263,580,000 - Watford
£223,360,000 - Brighton
£149,450,000 - Burnley

I find posts like this genuinely quite odd and almost baffling.

What I find so odd is that you look at that table, then the actual PL table and just general results and the conclusion is...Tottenham have issues. :lol:

Not Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, Villa, etc. spending money stupidly but it's Tottenham who have the issues...

I've seen several posts like this already in this thread. One from a Spurs supporter complaining that Everton consistently outspend us and somehow that's our problem.

Heck this is a United forum after all and when you look at the fact you can somehow spend well over double what we do and yet get no further than us methinks Tottenham is a pretty smoothly run operation and others should be looking a little more closely in the mirror.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

What I find so odd is that you look at that table, then the actual PL table and just general results and the conclusion is...Tottenham have issues. :lol:

Not Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, Villa, etc. spending money stupidly but it's Tottenham who have the issues...

I've seen several posts like this already in this thread. One from a Spurs supporter complaining that Everton consistently outspend us and somehow that's our problem.

Heck this is a United forum after all and when you look at the fact you can somehow spend well over double what we do and yet get no further than us methinks Tottenham is a pretty smoothly run operation and others should be looking a little more closely in the mirror.
Pretty simple really, if you actually invested like a proper Top 6 club you could be pushing for actual trophies. Instead you're getting out spent by like the likes of West Ham and Leicester. I mean feck Aston Villa almost have the same spend and they've been in the Championship! Just imagine what you could have accomplished as a club if you actually bothered to invest in your first team. It's fine for supporters who think that sitting in Top 4 is a success, it's certainly a step up in your recent club history. But for any supporter who hopes and dreams of a club like yours achieving the title it must be a constant kick in the bollocks. I feel for Pochettino really having to constantly contend with a club that underspends, it's a miracle he's got you where you are.

For what it's worth, your club will have some difficult seasons coming up imo and i've been a member in redcafe that has constantly bigged up Tottenham in the past 3/4 seasons. I'm not biased, I just see your situation as becoming somewhat desperate, so many first team changes will need to be made and you've got several first teamers who aren't signing new contracts. I'll be staggered if Pochettino is at your club in a years time.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

It shows that Pochettino is working miracles with the resources he has, and we're lucky to have such a gifted manager at the helm. It also shows we're not giving said gifted manager the backing he may need to win trophies (which is the point of a football club, and something we have not done under ENIC) which may eventually lead to him going elsewhere. At which point we're fecked because it isn't down to the genius of Levy that we're top four, it's Pochettino's work.

And again, despite all our success and being so 'smoothly run', we're sat here having been unable to celebrate a single trophy since 2008.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Pretty simple really, if you actually invested like a proper Top 6 club you could be pushing for actual trophies. Instead you're getting out spent by like the likes of West Ham and Leicester. I mean feck Aston Villa almost have the same spend and they've been in the Championship! Just imagine what you could have accomplished as a club if you actually bothered to invest in your first team. It's fine for supporters who think that sitting in Top 4 is a success, it's certainly a step up in your recent club history. But for any supporter who hopes and dreams of a club like yours achieving the title it must be a constant kick in the bollocks. I feel for Pochettino really having to constantly contend with a club that underspends, it's a miracle he's got you where you are.

For what it's worth, your club will have some difficult seasons coming up imo and i've been a member in redcafe that has constantly bigged up Tottenham in the past 3/4 seasons. I'm not biased, I just see your situation as becoming somewhat desperate, so many first team changes will need to be made and you've got several first teamers who aren't signing new contracts. I'll be staggered if Pochettino is at your club in a years time.
It shows that Pochettino is working miracles with the resources he has, and we're lucky to have such a gifted manager at the helm. It also shows we're not giving said gifted manager the backing he may need to win trophies (which is the point of a football club, and something we have not done under ENIC) which may eventually lead to him going elsewhere. At which point we're fecked because it isn't down to the genius of Levy that we're top four, it's Pochettino's work.

And again, despite all our success and being so 'smoothly run', we're sat here having been unable to celebrate a single trophy since 2008.
This has been said ad nauseum at this exact same point every season for 5+ years running. Seriously take a look at every Spurs thread from the past few years. I'm still laughing at the fact season after season 75% of people couldn't see us making top 4. :lol:

I want us to make signings too and I think some smart ones could push us to win the trophies that have narrowly been out of our grasp. I just think it's incredibly laughable to complain about Tottenham next to Everton and then mention trophies...because I must have missed the ones their cash has gifted them. Plus again looking at a table like that is misleading or else United should be doing sooooooo much better at this moment.

I love Poch and he has produced many miracles, but he's not the best manager on the planet. Even if he were to leave I don't think we'll substantially drop from where we are. Especially if we could make a smart hire like Leonardo Jardim as a replacement.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

£738,800,000 - Chelsea
£563,280,000 - Liverpool
£524,800,000 - Everton
£489,240,000 - Arsenal
£361,900,000 - West Ham
£347,000,000 - Tottenham
£338,710,000 - Newcastle
£279,300,000 - Wolves
£263,580,000 - Watford
£223,360,000 - Brighton
£149,450,000 - Burnley

That list is more than a little revealing. Considering Spurs are one of wealthiest clubs in Europe, in terms of revenue at least, to below the likes West Ham, Leicester and Newcastle in transfer expenditure is borderline criminal.

I'd be making waves if I was a Spurs fan.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
This has been said ad nauseum at this exact same point every season for 5+ years running. Seriously take a look at every Spurs thread from the past few years. I'm still laughing at the fact season after season 75% of people couldn't see us making top 4. :lol:

I want us to make signings too and I think some smart ones could push us to win the trophies that have narrowly been out of our grasp. I just think it's incredibly laughable to complain about Tottenham next to Everton and then mention trophies...because I must have missed the ones their cash has gifted them.

I love Poch and he has produced many miracles, but he's not the best manager on the planet. Even if he were to leave I don't think we'll substantially drop from where we are. Especially if we could make a smart hire like Leonardo Jardim as a replacement.

We finished 1 point ahead of 5th last season, and were dependent on Arsenal drawing at home to Brighton. Let's not pretend we were comfortably in the top four and it was all plain sailing, we've declined in the league steadily for a few seasons now .. who is to say that won't happen again now we're still refusing to invest?

There's an argument over whether Everton's spending has been on the right players (a lot of it hasn't) but the point is that we haven't shown enough ambition in the transfer market, even compared to those far below us at smaller clubs. We're clearly very content with where we are and not really prepared to build on that. I personally am not content with treading water in the top four and not winning any trophies.

He's far better than we deserve right now, and yes if he leaves we will face significant drop off. A few of our key players will probably not want to stick around, we'll also already have lost Eriksen/Toby on top of our star manager, it'll have a big impact in general. His management is dragging us in to the top four season after season despite poor depth and poor ambition shown by the board, and there's nowhere near enough appreciation for it. Jardim would not have us top four.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Its amazing how much debates around Spurs and between supporters sound like Arsenal circa 2006-2014.

I want us to make signings too and I think some smart ones could push us to win the trophies that have narrowly been out of our grasp. I just think it's incredibly laughable to complain about Tottenham next to Everton and then mention trophies...because I must have missed the ones their cash has gifted them. Plus again looking at a table like that is misleading or else United should be doing sooooooo much better at this moment.

I agree that people have often underrated Spurs in the past. And I would certainly put them as favorites for third this season.

But I think Spurs supporters are being a bit complacent if they think this will just carry on indefinitely. The current team emerged from a great run in the transfer market from 2012-2015, striking gold in the youth system with Kane, and finding a brilliant manager in Poch. But none of that is really sustainable. In the big picture, there isn't much to suggest that Tottenham is particularly capable of outsmarting everybody else in the transfer market, no club can consistently produce world class players out of their youth system, and Poch is highly likely to leave sometime in the next few years and Levy's record overall in appointing managers is pretty crappy.

Last edited:

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We finished 1 point ahead of 5th last season, and were dependent on Arsenal drawing at home to Brighton. Let's not pretend we were comfortably in the top four and it was all plain sailing, we've declined in the league steadily for a few seasons now .. who is to say that won't happen again now we're still refusing to invest?

There's an argument over whether Everton's spending has been on the right players (a lot of it hasn't) but the point is that we haven't shown enough ambition in the transfer market, even compared to those far below us at smaller clubs. We're clearly very content with where we are and not really prepared to build on that. I personally am not content with treading water in the top four and not winning any trophies.

He's far better than we deserve right now, and yes if he leaves we will face significant drop off. A few of our key players will probably not want to stick around, we'll also already have lost Eriksen/Toby on top of our star manager, it'll have a big impact in general. His management is dragging us in to the top four season after season despite poor depth and poor ambition shown by the board, and there's nowhere near enough appreciation for it. Jardim would not have us top four.
See here's the problem:

You're stating things as fact that are actually impossible to know.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Its amazing how much debates around Spurs and between supporters sound like Arsenal circa 2006-2014: Low

I agree that people have often underrated Spurs in the past. And I would certainly put them as favorites for third this season.

But I think Spurs supporters are being a bit complacent if they think this will just carry on indefinitely. The current team emerged from a great run in the transfer market from 2012-2015, striking gold in the youth system with Kane, and finding a brilliant manager in Poch. But none of that is really sustainable. In the big picture, there isn't much to suggest that Tottenham is particularly capable of outsmarting everybody else in the transfer market, no club can consistently produce world class players out of their youth system, and Poch is highly likely to leave sometime in the next few years and Levy's record overall in appointing managers is pretty crappy.
Overall I think we're trying to operate like a Dortmund or an Atletico.

I think we could show more ambition too and I'm not super pleased with the window so far but:
1) It's not over
2) The doom and gloom that continues from the same people every single year is hilarious. Either they suffer from amnesia or a complete lack of self awareness.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
See here's the problem:

You're stating things as fact that are actually impossible to know.
- We very nearly didn't make the top 4 and have been steadily declining league wise (fact).
- We haven't shown much ambition in the market to push on and have spent less than most clubs in the league (fact).

Other than that, we are losing Eriksen and Toby on frees .. that's happening. And if you think the loss of our long term manager who is loved around the club will have little impact on players wanting to leave or our general performance, then suit yourself.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
- We very nearly didn't make the top 4 and have been steadily declining league wise (fact).
- We haven't shown much ambition in the market to push on and have spent less than most clubs in the league (fact).

Other than that, we are losing Eriksen and Toby on frees
.. that's happening. And if you think the loss of our long term manager who is loved around the club will have little impact on players wanting to leave or our general performance, then suit yourself.
Not necessarily ;)