2019/20 Rivals - Spurs | Bergwijn out for the remainder of the season

RedDevilRoshi

Spurs finally win a trophy!

Wonder if they will do an open-top bus trophy parade to celebrate this once in a lifetime achievement?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems they actually won this International champions cup last year.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
They’ve had a good pre season.
Yes, I reckon so. We've started to bed in Ndombele, seen a few youngsters rise up the pecking order a bit - notably Skipp, Tanganga and Parrott, and played against quality opposition in every game. Even N'Koudou did very well for our first goal this evening.

The only downside has been the injury to Foyth.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
They’ve had a good pre season.
Really? They've played teams who are behind then in terms of preparation, the one team they played who you could say we're level with them was United, who played them off the park,
The manager is kicking up a fuss, so much so that people high up within the club are worried, and yes I know this for a fact,
They are relying on the same players and hoping for the same magic.
I'd say their pre season has been mediocre at best.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Really? They've played teams who are behind then in terms of preparation, the one team they played who you could say we're level with them was United, who played them off the park,
The manager is kicking up a fuss, so much so that people high up within the club are worried, and yes I know this for a fact,

It's been fine, a good pre season. Nothing to shout home about, that Bayern side tonight was mostly kids and we drew 2-2.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
We were 2 games ahead of them.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
He was also a key midfielder in our team for a long time and as he declined/left we did nothing to prepare for that. If a player has issues and wants out then you plan for that and replace him.

Also holy shit, I honestly can't believe the negativity of this attitude. We're not a big club, media bullshit of spending (what? Every fecking club spends to improve it's not a media creation!) and we should just accept the best manager we've ever had walking out the door rather than standing up to our board who are utterly shit in the transfer market and show no ambition. I'd keep Pochettino over ENIC every day of the week,

It's not even a question of competing with the other top 5, our spending is below most mid-table premier league clubs. Of course going out and signing a proper new right back would replace us instead of shoehorning a CB there, it's ridiculous to call that spending for the sake of it, just like it was ridiculous when people said it because fans wanted a Dembele replacement. This isn't even talking about adding to the squad (which ambitious teams do!), it's literally just replacing players in the team.
Not true. We brought through Harry Winks from the academy ranks (and now Oliver Skipp), we developed Sissoko into a better player, and we bided our time until we could sign a quality new player - i.e. NDombele - rather than just jumping into the market willy-nilly to satisfy the desire of some for instant shiny new toys.

Nor is Pochettino about to "walk out of the door" - your hysterics notwithstanding.

As for not "competing with the other top 5" based on money spent on transfers, none of these 5 clubs has recently invested £1 billion on a new stadium and new training centre, so it's totally unrealistic to have expected us to compete in terms of transfer spending.

In any case, I don't give a feck about how much or how little we spend on new players - I only care that our squad quality improves, however that is achieved, whether through new players, through coaching or through bringing through good youngsters.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Not true. We brought through Harry Winks from the academy ranks (and now Oliver Skipp), we developed Sissoko into a better player, and we bided our time until we could sign a quality new player - i.e. NDombele - rather than just jumping into the market willy-nilly to satisfy the desire of some for instant shiny new toys.

Nor is Pochettino about to "walk out of the door" - your hysterics notwithstanding.

As for not "competing with the other top 5" based on money spent on transfers, none of these 5 clubs has recently invested £1 billion on a new stadium and new training centre, so it's totally unrealistic to have expected us to compete in terms of transfer spending.

In any case, I don't give a feck about how much or how little we spend on new players - I only care that our squad quality improves, however that is achieved, whether through new players, through coaching or through bringing through good youngsters.
Yeah, our midfield was great last season, we all saw that .. jesus christ Glaston. Sissoko papered over some scraps but it cost us time and time again, we dragged a broken Wanyama out in CL semis and had Rose stuck in CM because we lacked options that badly. You keep banging on about wily nil decisions/shiny new toys and acting like transfers are just some fan obsession but it's simply not true, when a top player leaves you go in to the market to replace him, promoting youth is not enough. Our lack of midfield investment came so close to costing us top 4, we made it by a single point.

I didn't say Pochettino was 'about to walk out the door' but carry on with the exaggerations. I said that he inevitably will eventually if we continue to underfund the team and allow first team players to leave without being replaced, no manager sticks around forever under those conditions.

It's not even competing with the other 5 though, is it Glaston? Mid table sides are putting up more cash than we are for players. And the money we potentially risk by missing out on the CL would hurt us far, far more than money invested in to players. We've spent 30 million net in two seasons and you're acting like fans are demanding huge money to be spent, no we just want to see reasonable amounts put back in to the squad. It's such a shit tactic to portray fans as spoiled gits who demand constant transfers, when really all that is wanted is a healthy amount of money invested each season. We're a CL team who just got to a CL final which = shit tons of prize money, prize money we haven't even come close to spending this window.

And yeah, I get it, we built a great new stadium etc etc etc. The problem is right now I see us as in huge danger of just becoming another Arsenal, perpetually using the stadium debts as an excuse for the board not to invest in the team, and slowly deteriorating season after season because we aren't winning trophies and are refusing to invest. We've declined a couple of seasons in a row now in the league (the bread & butter) and the naive idea this decline will not continue is baseless, if we don't spend we will go backwards. Even a couple of players like Eriksen and Toby running down their contracts reminds me of how Arsenal lost a couple of their key players back when they were a consistent top 4 side, RVP being the most notable example.

But yeah whatever, you can dismiss all this as panicking, hysteria, whatever .. but the way I see it a great cup run covered up the cracks last season, because our league campaign nearly ended in total disaster. And if you can't see why fans might be a tad disappointed with our single signing so far with another starting player out the door, then I don't know what world you're living in. Particularly since this transfer window promised so much after an entire season where we didn't spend a penny, and then we added to the coffers with CL money. Pochettino seems to be grumbling about it and I don't blame him at all.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's been fine, a good pre season. Nothing to shout home about, that Bayern side tonight was mostly kids and we drew 2-2.
Thank the lord for your honesty.
I'd say United have had far better preparation bar the Lukaku/Pogba situations,
Bayern are also behind you in terms of games, same with Real Madrid, who have been conceding goals for fun, just not against spurs it seems!

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Thank the lord for your honesty.
I'd say United have had far better preparation bar the Lukaku/Pogba situations,
Bayern are also behind you in terms of games, same with Real Madrid, who have been conceding goals for fun, just not against spurs it seems!
I'm not that arsed, to be honest. It's pre-season .. my thoughts on it have been clearly expressed in another thread. It's just a way to give youngsters a shot/get back to fitness etc, I wouldn't be excited if we played every team off the park. The fact that Lamela is so often the star of these pre-season games says everything about how much they mean imo.

But building it up as super successful or whatever is dishonest. Juventus was a good result but Real are losing to everybody and that Bayern side was just their kids, and we didn't even win that.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Yeah, our midfield was great last season, we all saw that .. jesus christ Glaston. Sissoko papered over some scraps but it cost us time and time again, we dragged a broken Wanyama out in CL semis and had Rose stuck in CM because we lacked options that badly. You keep banging on about wily nil decisions/shiny new toys and acting like transfers are just some fan obsession but it's simply not true, when a top player leaves you go in to the market to replace him, promoting youth is not enough. Our lack of midfield investment came so close to costing us top 4, we made it by a single point.

I didn't say Pochettino was 'about to walk out the door' but carry on with the exaggerations. I said that he inevitably will eventually if we continue to underfund the team and allow first team players to leave without being replaced, no manager sticks around forever under those conditions.

It's not even competing with the other 5 though, is it Glaston? Mid table sides are putting up more cash than we are for players. And the money we potentially risk by missing out on the CL would hurt us far, far more than money invested in to players. We've spent 30 million net in two seasons and you're acting like fans are demanding huge money to be spent, no we just want to see reasonable amounts put back in to the squad. It's such a shit tactic to portray fans as spoiled gits who demand constant transfers, when really all that is wanted is a healthy amount of money invested each season. We're a CL team who just got to a CL final which = shit tons of prize money, prize money we haven't even come close to spending this window.

And yeah, I get it, we built a great new stadium etc etc etc. The problem is right now I see us as in huge danger of just becoming another Arsenal, perpetually using the stadium debts as an excuse for the board not to invest in the team, and slowly deteriorating season after season because we aren't winning trophies and are refusing to invest. We've declined a couple of seasons in a row now in the league (the bread & butter) and the naive idea this decline will not continue is baseless, if we don't spend we will go backwards. Even a couple of players like Eriksen and Toby running down their contracts reminds me of how Arsenal lost a couple of their key players back when they were a consistent top 4 side, RVP being the most notable example.

But yeah whatever, you can dismiss all this as panicking, hysteria, whatever .. but the way I see it a great cup run covered up the cracks last season, because our league campaign nearly ended in total disaster. And if you can't see why fans might be a tad disappointed with our single signing so far with another starting player out the door, then I don't know what world you're living in. Particularly since this transfer window promised so much after an entire season where we didn't spend a penny, and then we added to the coffers with CL money. Pochettino seems to be grumbling about it and I don't blame him at all.
Why don't you stop moaning about the transfer window until after it actually closes and you can see a full picture as to who has arrived and who has departed? Just a thought.

Another thought: why don't you look at our league performance in the last full season we actually got to play in our real home stadium? And then maybe, just maybe, you might want to factor a tiny bit of that perspective into your doom-laded predictions, rather than simply looking at the last couple of seasons in the league when had to play all our 'home' games - bar a handful - at Wembley.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Classic Glaston continually tells people to stop living in the past and that it's only the here and the now that matters only for him to tell someone to go and look at what happened 2 years ago like it's relevant today :lol:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Considering that (a) we're only talking about friendlies; (b) Spurs beat Juve and Real Madrid, and then drew with Bayern Munich in their home stadium; and (c) fielded a boat-load of young players in the process … you know that some opposition fans are getting desperate when they attack the idea that Spurs have had a decent pre-season so far.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Classic Glaston continually tells people to stop living in the past and that it's only the here and the now that matters only for him to tell someone to go and look at what happened 2 years ago like it's relevant today :lol:
If you don't think that playing at home - in your real home stadium - confers an advantage, then you are ignorant of the overwhelming mass of football-results data going back for many, many decades.

But then you are ignorant of many things, so it's no real surprise.

charlenefan

If you don't think that playing at home - in your real home stadium - confers an advantage, then you are ignorant of the overwhelming mass of football-results data going back for many, many decades.

But then you are ignorant of many things, so it's no real surprise.
No I just don't think pointing to your home form 2 years ago is relevant today and for you of all people to suggest it is is laughable

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
No I just don't think pointing to your home form 2 years ago is relevant today and for you of all people to suggest it is is laughable
It's relevant because (a) it's the last time we played a full season in our true home; and (b) because (as I've already said) the overwhelming mass of football-results data going back for many, many decades shows the significant advantage this conveys.

But hey-ho, ignore the facts if you wish. It's what I expect of you.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why don't you stop moaning about the transfer window until after it actually closes and you can see a full picture as to who has arrived and who has departed? Just a thought.

Another thought: why don't you look at our league performance in the last full season we actually got to play in our real home stadium? And then maybe, just maybe, you might want to factor a tiny bit of that perspective into your doom-laded predictions, rather than simply looking at the last couple of seasons in the league when had to play all our 'home' games - bar a handful - at Wembley.
I'll hold my hands up if we suddenly burst in to action in the final week. Maybe we'll actually sign a right back now Foyth is out, who knows.

And yeah, already been said but you're massively clutching at this idea that playing in the new stadium is going to give us some huge boost. It may have an impact but it won't be major, and there's no guarantee that our home form will be the same as it was at WHL at all, we may still face another season of bedding in.

My predictions aren't 'doom laden' .. they're realistic. Again, I think we'll face a serious battle for top 4 next season which could go either way, because in my opinion we haven't done enough to improve .. that is all. I don't think that's an unreasonable opinion at all, you clearly see things differently and that's fine.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
City?
Liverpool planned and don't need to strengthen much more.
Chelsea have a big squad to utilise but they're a bit weaker than last season so you could compete with them.
Arsenal and United rumour mill signifies for me that they're just waiting on a few things to sign players but at least they seem 80% over the line with a couple and you can see them happening.

Yes, little to none. Your problem is that you need numbers. Great, Ndombele is quality but what if he gets injured? What if other players in the squad get injured? As i said before, last season your issue was the squad depth, it was terrible and it's because you didn't transfer well. It would be stupid to make the same mistake this year.
I genuinely don’t think our squad depth is terrible. At all.

In fact that depth is basically what got us top 4 and into a final.

Last year wasn’t just a case of “every team gets injuries”. Our injury crisis was absolutely ridiculous and I can’t see any other team bar Man City dealing with it any better than we did.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hopefully the likes of Skipp, Parrott, and Tanganga can get some playing time this season because on the back of those pre-season performances they all deserve it.

charlenefan

It's relevant because (a) it's the last time we played a full season in our true home; and (b) because (as I've already said) the overwhelming mass of football-results data going back for many, many decades shows the significant advantage this conveys.

But hey-ho, ignore the facts if you wish. It's what I expect of you.
So because the last time you played at your true home you went the season unbeaten means you're going to do the same next season? :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

ChrisNelson

It is a trophy though so I don't see anything wrong with Lucas Moura trying to be positive ahead of the start of the season.

Surely him brushing it off as just another friendly would be disrespectful and show a bad side to him?

It's not like he's claiming they've won the Champions League. They entered a pre-season tournament, and they won it and received a trophy. It's probably more silverware than we will end the season with!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It is a trophy though so I don't see anything wrong with Lucas Moura trying to be positive ahead of the start of the season.

Surely him brushing it off as just another friendly would be disrespectful and show a bad side to him?

It's not like he's claiming they've won the Champions League. They entered a pre-season tournament, and they won it and received a trophy. It's probably more silverware than we will end the season with!
It is just another friendly.

ChrisNelson

It is just another friendly.
His statement is factually correct though. He has won a trophy with Spurs. Whether that's minor or major is irrelevant. They had to overcome tough opposition (our last match was against effectively a non-league team) and they've had good tests in a tournament format.

No one is trying to say it will go on the honours list at the front of the programme, or that Lucas Moura will tell his grandkids about the day he won a pre-season trophy with Spurs but he's trying to be positive ahead of the season and I like that.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
His statement is factually correct though. He has won a trophy with Spurs. Whether that's minor or major is irrelevant. They had to overcome tough opposition (our last match was against effectively a non-league team) and they've had good tests in a tournament format.

No one is trying to say it will go on the honours list at the front of the programme, or that Lucas Moura will tell his grandkids about the day he won a pre-season trophy with Spurs but he's trying to be positive ahead of the season and I like that.
It's not a big deal, just a silly thing to laugh at.

He probably didn't even tweet it himself in all honesty.

ChrisNelson

It's not a big deal, just a silly thing to laugh at.

He probably didn't even tweet it himself in all honesty.
I notice you're a Chelsea fan from your bio, but as United fans we're not really in a position to laugh at Spurs right now!!! They have categorically leapfrogged us over the last 18 months.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I genuinely don’t think our squad depth is terrible. At all.

In fact that depth is basically what got us top 4 and into a final.

Last year wasn’t just a case of “every team gets injuries”. Our injury crisis was absolutely ridiculous and I can’t see any other team bar Man City dealing with it any better than we did.
The problem with your depth isn’t players per say. It’s the quality of them. Your second string is a significant drop in quality to the first team.

Not to mention you have full back positions which nobody has nailed down which is worrying as they’re the two of the most important positions on the pitch in modern football - reasons why we (Everton with Baines and Coleman in their best seasons) and Liverpool last season excelled especially.

Son absolutely saved you at times when Kane was out injured and it’s tough for players to continue performing these last minute miracles.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
And Spurs win the Audi cup, the crowd go wild....... whoop, whoop. Que sarcastic comments.
When’s the DVD out lad? Going to buy one for my pal at work. He’s always so miserable and I’m sure it will cheer him up.