2020 Europa League Final - Inter Milan v Sevilla

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Sevilla have now won more major European competitions (6) than United and Chelsea (5), and are level with even Juventus.

Skills

Snitch
People thought it was daft when people were using Sevilla's record in this competition as a reason why they'd get past us... But sometimes just a simple belief that it's your tournament to win can give you that extra 5/10% you need to win.
Well they had a lot of belief that they'd feck us over in the CL too a few years ago. Maybe our European heritage really does lag behind someone like Seville afterall?

Sevilla have now won more major European competitions (6) than United and Chelsea (5), and are level with even Juventus.
We've won 3. Chelsea 1. Sevilla 0. Let's not pretend theres anything major about the Europa League.

edcunited1878

And United have won the actual European Champions Trophy 3 times to Sevilla's zero. While it's great to win a trophy, they'd gladly trade in all those Europa titles for the biggest and best one across Europe.

You think the UEFA Nations League is worth pounding your chest when a country like Spain or Germany has won the actual European Championship? Greece wouldn't dare trade their legitimate Euro title for a Nations League title.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
The difference is that the Nations League doesn't mean anything, the Europa League is a significant trophy with decades of history behind it. It's more important than any domestic cup for example.

always_hoping

Play acting, time wasting, calling for yellows. In short: cheating.
Inter under Conte are more or less the same. Hes a carbon copy of Jose style of play and has his players doing whatever it takes to win games.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
And United have won the actual European Champions Trophy 3 times to Sevilla's zero. While it's great to win a trophy, they'd gladly trade in all those Europa titles for the biggest and best one across Europe.

You think the UEFA Nations League is worth pounding your chest when a country like Spain or Germany has won the actual European Championship? Greece wouldn't dare trade their legitimate Euro title for a Nations League title.
This under rating of the Europa League is so silly to me.

Obviously the CL is much bigger and more important to win but this undermining of the EL is stupid its not easy to win and is a major and reputable trophy.

The nations league and europa are not the same.

edcunited1878

Obviously the CL is much bigger and more important to win but this undermining of the EL is stupid its not easy to win and is a major and reputable trophy.

The Europa League is important to win as it gets you into the CL and Super Cup against the CL winner.

But when someone is saying Sevilla has equal or more European trophies than United, there's a problem with that because CL trophies are the pinnacle of European club football, especially when you have 3.

Are you going to boast about having more domestic cups that are the League Cup only compared to a club that has won more FA Cups but fewer total domestic cups in totality?

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
It amazes me how Sevilla is able to win and do well with all these misfits or past it players, Fernando and Navas ex City players, de Jong, Suso, some Bono a GK from Canada, Ocampos etc

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That was a great final. It’s not often I watch a whole game these days but found myself keeping away from the FF button and just enjoyed it.
I really didn’t care who won but in the end it was Sevilla the deserved winner.
The TV feed I had had great crowd noise piped in.
Are there folk on here still against that?

Amarsdd

That was a great final. It’s not often I watch a whole game these days but found myself keeping away from the FF button and just enjoyed it.
I really didn’t care who won but in the end it was Sevilla the deserved winner.
The TV feed I had had great crowd noise piped in.
Are there folk on here still against that?
I love the crowd noise as compared to none. Usually forget there is no crowd in a couple of minutes. And the European competitions have done it much better than PL have.

SportingCP96

Supports
The Europa League is important to win as it gets you into the CL and Super Cup against the CL winner.

But when someone is saying Sevilla has equal or more European trophies than United, there's a problem with that because CL trophies are the pinnacle of European club football, especially when you have 3.

Are you going to boast about having more domestic cups that are the League Cup only compared to a club that has won more FA Cups but fewer total domestic cups in totality?
I agree with you and that's not what I am arguing but many people treat the EL like its the league cup when its quite literally the second or third (depending on which league your in) competition in the world.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
It amazes me how Sevilla is able to win and do well with all these misfits or past it players, Fernando and Navas ex City players, de Jong, Suso, some Bono a GK from Canada, Ocampos etc
And that is where good management makes a difference. You can get a good manager to optimize and enhance your points output significantly.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Just saw the first half, but why are people saying just Sevilla are annoying. Inter is annoying as feck too. Especially Conte. What a twat.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Inter outplayed tonight lucky the margin of defeat wasn't greater.
What? How? Which game did you watch? Sevilla had one chance, one worldie and an own goal. And created the sum total of feck all outside the goals. Literally ZERO

Inter could have scored 4, easily

The only difference between sevilla-united and sevilla-inter is Sevilla created more against United, and almost all of United's chances came in a single period of dominance instead of being spread out throughout the game like Inter's

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Europa League is not a pointless trophy but comparing it to the CL is just stupid as calling it worthless.

amolbhatia50k

What? How? Which game did you watch? Sevilla had one chance, one worldie and an own goal. And created the sum total of feck all outside the goals. Literally ZERO

Inter could have scored 4, easily

The only difference between sevilla-united and sevilla-inter is Sevilla created more against United, and almost all of United's chances came in a single period of dominance instead of being spread out throughout the game like Inter's
That's the only difference?

Seville had 14 shots on goal to Inter's 9 whereas we had 20 to their 9. Shots aren't everything but it's a decent indicator.

If only we could dream to dominate like Inter.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
In terms of chances to score or xG (2.15 v 1.02) I agree with Giorno, Inter was superior than Sevilla. The spanish side created nothing except the goals scored (maybe Ocampos header at the end of the first half) while Inter could have scored 3 in the 2nd half with Gagliardini, Candreva, Sanchez and Lukaku imho, but honestly Sevilla looked a much better football team. When they had the ball controlled the tempo, tried to play positive football and attacked with 8 players, when Inter had the ball, especially in the 2nd half, they were really pathetic to watch: Bastoni -> De Vrij -> Godin -> Handanovic -> random long pass for Lukaku all the time. 0 ideas, 0 movements. Conte is to blame for that: Eriksen, Sensi, Borja Valero, Candreva x D'Ambrosio, Skriniar x Godin would have improved their style of play

On a side note: after watching Sevilla yesterday, Valencia against Ajax, Atletico, Getafe (and Real Madrid since the restart) then I'm not sure Serie A teams are the worst in terms of diving and time-wasting.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's the only difference?

Seville had 14 shots on goal to Inter's 9 whereas we had 20 to their 9. Shots aren't everything but it's a decent indicator.

If only we could dream to dominate like Inter.
Shots number isn't a particularly good indicator, no. You're less likely to score from 10 shots from distance or poor angles than 1 shot from 6 yard box

United were more dominant in terms of overall play than inter for sure, and created more chances, while also conceding more chances(well, 1 more), but ultimately it was the same story. Sevilla won because they scored theirs and their opponents didn't, despite creating significantly more

prateik

The Championship is very competitive and not easy to win.. winning 5 Championship titles isnt better than winning 1 Premier League title.

Europa League is the second tier.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Getting knocked out by the eventual champions always gives some comfort. This Sevilla squad is just as good as the 14-16 one.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
We did dominate Seville and gave them their hardest game. After the equaliser Inter struggled and had one glorious chance but Bono came up trumps.

We didn’t earn the right to get to the final as we weren’t clinical enough. Are we on the right track? Yes with the right personnel .
What can we take from it? That at times Utd have to win ugly as well as winning by playing the beautiful game

amolbhatia50k

Shots number isn't a particularly good indicator, no. You're less likely to score from 10 shots from distance or poor angles than 1 shot from 6 yard box

United were more dominant in terms of overall play than inter for sure, and created more chances, while also conceding more chances(well, 1 more), but ultimately it was the same story. Sevilla won because they scored theirs and their opponents didn't, despite creating significantly more
I didn't say it wasn't, nor do I disagree with that. But I think you did misrepresent our peformance Vs Inters.

Shots count isn't a perfect indicator but it's generally a pretty good one. Good attacking teams tend to rack up 15 plus shots pretty regularly. Of course like all stats it can mislead too (see Moyes legendary crossing fiesta)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Inter under Conte are more or less the same. Hes a carbon copy of Jose style of play and has his players doing whatever it takes to win games.
I've watched hundreds of games featuring Jose and Conte teams and I've never seen anything like what Sevilla served up against us and against Inter. They are a team of cnuts.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

I don’t really understand why people are so uncomfortable with United being compared unfavourably in Europe with Sevilla. United’s history in Europe is pretty average compared to their domestic success, yet Sevilla’s is exceptional. The argument that because United won the EC in ‘68 that they can just write off their future performance is the CWC and UC/EL is silly. United’s level currently is more EL than CL. How many times in the next 10 years do you think United will qualify for each level? I’d guess 5 and 5.

If you want to compare performance in the second tier European comps. Sevilla have played in the CWC and UC/EL 16 times and won 6 times. United have also entered the CWC and UC/EL 16 times and only won twice. United have only even reached the two finals.

I don’t really get your point about the LC and FAC. At least now they are seen as pretty much equal. In fact for a lot of the more recent successful club sides, the LC is actually given greater priority and is welcomed as a chance to win silverware early on in the season and not interfere with European football and the league run in. As a season ticket holder too, I prefer the double-legged semi (which may now not come back) over a trip to Wembley.

SportingCP96

Supports
The Championship is very competitive and not easy to win.. winning 5 Championship titles isnt better than winning 1 Premier League title.

Europa League is the second tier.
I never said it was not?

Guys no one here is comparing the Europa League to the CL. As someone said Sevilla would trade all 6 of them for one CL.

Nonetheless the point I am making is it is the second or third biggest trophy in club football depending on which league you are in.

People try to down play it like it’s the league cup. It’s worth much more then a FA Cup, copa del Rey or whatever sister trophy any league in the world has.

Only Chelsea and United (from the EPL) have managed to win it since it’s inception so it’s not as an easy a comp to win as people try to make it seem.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I never said it was not?

Guys no one here is comparing the Europa League to the CL. As someone said Sevilla would trade all 6 of them for one CL.

Nonetheless the point I am making is it is the second or third biggest trophy in club football depending on which league you are in.

People try to down play it like it’s the league cup. It’s worth much more then a FA Cup, copa del Rey or whatever sister trophy any league in the world has.

Only Chelsea and United (from the EPL) have managed to win it since it’s inception so it’s not as an easy a comp to win as people try to make it seem.
It is really an English thing, not caring about it that much.

There is not a single other major league in Europe where the Europa League is approached the way it is by English teams.

DarkLord

Yes but a bit of perspective, the Europa League is in no way comparable to the Champions League. Its basically a competition for CL rejects and those who couldn't make it. I'm sure Sevilla would trade all their 6 Europa League titles for just 1 Champions League title.