2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
Belgian (extremist) right-wing politicians are tweeting non-stop about that kinda stuff right now, it's embarrassing. "Lying in front of our eyes", "cheating and they don't even hide it", "this whole thing stinks", ... The replies to those tweets aren't pretty either, I fear for our own elections next time.
Dangerous times.

Siorac

It snuck under the radar a bit but Biden has basically crushed Michigan. He's got 500k more votes there than Hillary and is now 2.7% ahead of Trump. Considering Trump won the state by 10k votes four years ago, that's basically a landslide. Did not expect to see that when Trump was still 10+% up yesterday.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Man these ads. I'm switching between MSNBC, CNN and FOX whenever one goes to them, but now they all three have them on at the same time. That 2 minute add for $20 sunglasses on FOX feels like satire. :D

Siorac

Belgian (extremist) right-wing politicians are tweeting non-stop about that kinda stuff right now, it's embarrassing. "Lying in front of our eyes", "cheating and they don't even hide it", "this whole thing stinks", ... The replies to those tweets aren't pretty either, I fear for our own elections next time.
And yet Americans keep asking while we Europeans are so invested in US politics and the US elections. This is why.

alsabi

It snuck under the radar a bit but Biden has basically crushed Michigan. He's got 500k more votes there than Hillary and is now 2.7% ahead of Trump. Considering Trump won the state by 10k votes four years ago, that's basically a landslide. Did not expect to see that when Trump was still 10+% up yesterday.
He crushed it there in the primary as well, in 2016 it was a surprise win for Sanders over Clinton

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm not saying it's anything nefarious, it just seems a bit ridiculous that it's the most powerful nation in the world and we're sat here, three days later, still not knowing who won the election. Obviously it may be by design or something more, but there isn't any way around it being a bit ridiculous IMO.
It's amazing how, with all the advancements in science and technology, election processes are still done on paper and manually counted by humans. I can't see that changing soon either, but it's hard to believe there hasn't been a way to computerize the process in a secure way.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just read about “sharpiegate” :lol:

Reminds me of dickheads banging on about pencils during the Brexit vote.

Cloud7

It's amazing how, with all the advancements in science and technology, election processes are still done on paper and manually counted by humans. I can't see that changing soon either, but it's hard to believe there hasn't been a way to computerize the process in a secure way.
You're not wrong, but I suppose unless you get the sort of encryption technology like say Apple has, that even the FBI can't crack, then there's no way to really feel properly secure that they're not being tampered with.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think the issue is more about psychology than technology. It’s partly about allowing people (usually elderly) who don’t understand/trust electronic interactions to have a “real life” option. Hence bank branches remaining open etc. Changing demographics will bring about the change, rather than any encryption breakthrough.

diarm

Why does the BBC tracker say "after 43 of 50 States"?

Am I missing a state?

SirAF

Ageist
You're not wrong, but I suppose unless you get the sort of encryption technology like say Apple has, that even the FBI can't crack, then there's no way to really feel properly secure that they're not being tampered with.
"2028 Election brought to you by Apple" :drool:

Anybody get the feeling these remaining states are dragging this out so they can all try to be the one with the casting vote

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Blockchain is absolutely prime for Election use, it’s a matter of when not if.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I had Alaska but I thought Wisconsin had been confirmed already.Thanks though!

This is how to label a model of swimming goggles. Not how you tell the time.
Not getting the goggles reference. It was discussed as 700P Pacific Standard Time.

This isn’t a metric system thing, is it?

Kaos

I think the issue is more about psychology than technology. It’s partly about allowing people (usually elderly) who don’t understand/trust electronic interactions to have a “real life” option. Hence bank branches remaining open etc. Changing demographics will bring about the change, rather than any encryption breakthrough.
Along with that, there's also a tangible security concern too with a fully digitalised process. Without trying to indulge in too many Hollywood tropes, the threat of being compromised by say Chinese or Russian hackers is too serious of a concern to dismiss in this day and age.

But eventually something will have to give, it is ridiculous that in 2020 we have folks sitting in community centres 'one Mississippi`-ing millions of vote ballots in the worlds' most developed democracies.

Lj82

I had Alaska but I thought Wisconsin had been confirmed already.Thanks though!

This is how to label a model of swimming goggles. Not how you tell the time.
:lol:
Glad to see I'm not the only one having problems with this way of telling time

Smores

Crazy how much of the world is waiting on like 100 vote counters working away

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah, but what is the "700P"?

For me it would have been logical to write 07:00 AM PST :p
That’s why I brought it up. She specifically said ‘700PM PST’ and made a reference to how late that would be for a release. It just sounded odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.