2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Anyone need anymore evidence the GOP have completely lost it.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Trump cultists who don't see the huge damage they are doing to the GOP brand in voting to overturn the outcome of a certified election result. The Trumpite base will applaud them, but that base is not enough to win them elections, especially when non-Trumpite Republican voters abandon the party.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Trump cultists who don't see the huge damage they are doing to the GOP brand in voting to overturn the outcome of a certified election result. The Trumpite base will applaud them, but that base is not enough to win them elections, especially when non-Trumpite Republican voters abandon the party.
Nah, most are just being selfishly cynical. They see how he can flip their voters with a tweet and either want to make sure he supports them in their next election (remember, the house is every 2 years for every seat) or they have 2024 aspirations and are salivating over the 71 million votes he got.

What they all seem to have failed to learn is that he has no loyalty. He is turning what should be a relative cakewalk in Georgia into a tossup by damaging Boris and Natasha. Those 2 are basically blowing his tiny, disease ridden, non functional cock so hard it actually twitched, and he still refuses to support them.

Jericholyte2

How are these members allowed to keep their jobs and be tried for treason!?!?! The votes have been counted, verified and legally argued for and against. The electors ave confirmed the results of each state. And now they’re desperately trying to overturn an election without any sensible legal standing.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
How are these members allowed to keep their jobs and be tried for treason!?!?! The votes have been counted, verified and legally argued for and against. The electors ave confirmed the results of each state. And now they’re desperately trying to overturn an election without any sensible legal standing.
As long as the people who vote for them agree with what they are doing, then they will keep their jobs. In this case, the politicians are only following the lead of right wing public sentiment, who are in turn being informed by Trump.

Jericholyte2

As long as the people who vote for them agree with what they are doing, then they will keep their jobs. In this case, the politicians are only following the lead of right wing public sentiment, who are in turn being informed by Trump.
Would the Democrat House and (hopefully after the run-offs) Senate be able to out them?

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
Kinda wonder how the distribution of power works in the US. Isn't it normally up to the judiciary to take action against elected representatives who're going rogue like this? They've got no valid reason to stage what only can be described as a coup. What would happen if the GOP had the majority in both houses? Could they have pulled it off?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Kinda wonder how the distribution of power works in the US. Isn't it normally up to the judiciary to take action against elected representatives who're going rogue like this? They've got no valid reason to stage what only can be described as a coup. What would happen if the GOP had the majority in both houses? Could they have pulled it off?
In theory yes, but the judiciary wouldn't get involved in this since although damaging to the democratic process, they're technically not doing anything illegal. A couple of Dems did the same to Dubya's win in 2004, when they thought there was voter disenfranchisement in Ohio.

Vooon

In theory yes, but the judiciary wouldn't get involved in this since although damaging to the democratic process, they're technically not doing anything illegal. A couple of Dems did the same to Dubya's win in 2004, when they thought there was voter disenfranchisement in Ohio.
The US election system is in serious need of reform. Any chance of that happening if the Dems take the two Georgia seats?

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Nah, most are just being selfishly cynical. They see how he can flip their voters with a tweet and either want to make sure he supports them in their next election (remember, the house is every 2 years for every seat) or they have 2024 aspirations and are salivating over the 71 million votes he got.

What they all seem to have failed to learn is that he has no loyalty. He is turning what should be a relative cakewalk in Georgia into a tossup by damaging Boris and Natasha. Those 2 are basically blowing his tiny, disease ridden, non functional cock so hard it actually twitched, and he still refuses to support them.
Sure, they may be motivated by wanting avoid being primaried by angry Trumpites, but a lot of them are going to lose their seats anyway when re-election comes up .... because the charge against them will be: you are asking for the support of the electorate, but you voted to overturn the results delivered by the electorate in the presidential contest.

That charge will stick big-time IMO. Trumpites are leading the GOP down the rabbit-hole of self-destruction.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The US election system is in serious need of reform. Any chance of that happening if the Dems take the two Georgia seats?
People passing reforms like getting rid of the filibuster... introducing term limits on supreme Court judges... yeah... but... I think the changes really needed in us politics is to de-polarise and get people engaging on the substance of an issue rather than the party political narrative... and any changes like the above will probably just drive divisions and make them further entrenched... that said its difficult to know how to fix the problem when we are likley to have a soon to be ex president questioning the legitimacy of the current president and stoking those divisions at every opportunity

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not likely since that sort of thing would probably require a modification to the constitution, which requires two thirds majority approval in both houses of congress as well as two thirds of state legislatures. The US is actually moving away from the level of bipartisanship required to do that sort of thing. The best they can hope for in the near terms is a peace meal combination of congressional laws that make it easier for people to vote, alongside potentially a few executive orders by the President to strengthen democratic institutions.

Vooon

People passing reforms like getting rid of the filibuster... introducing term limits on supreme Court judges... yeah... but... I think the changes really needed in us politics is to de-polarise and get people engaging on the substance of an issue rather than the party political narrative... and any changes like the above will probably just drive divisions and make them further entrenched... that said its difficult to know how to fix the problem when we are likley to have a soon to be ex president questioning the legitimacy of the current president and stoking those divisions at every opportunity
That makes sense. Wonder how they're supposed to manage to de-polarise though.

Not likely since that sort of thing would probably require a modification to the constitution, which requires two thirds majority approval in both houses of congress as well as two thirds of state legislatures. The US is actually moving away from the level of bipartisanship required to do that sort of thing. The best they can hope for in the near terms is a peace meal combination of congressional laws that make it easier for people to vote, alongside potentially a few executive orders by the President to strengthen democratic institutions.
Seems like the easiest way yeah. Maybe, in the future, it could be possible to get enough states to bunch together and enable a system based on popular vote and not the first past the post system. As far as I understand they need at least half the states to implement this nationwide(?)

Maybe elections based on the result of the popular vote could do something about the polarisation. I'm guessing it would make the GOP more moderate since they would lose every single presidential election ever.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Seems like the easiest way yeah. Maybe, in the future, it could be possible to get enough states to bunch together and enable a system based on popular vote and not the first past the post system. As far as I understand they need at least half the states to implement this nationwide(?)

Maybe elections based on the result of the popular vote could do something about the polarisation. I'm guessing it would make the GOP more moderate since they would lose every single presidential election ever.
The fundamental problem seems to be the federalist system of government, where the states are given a lot of flexibility to "do their own thing", which ends up being completely contrary to a unified approach on a lot of things, from voting to pandemic response.

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Isn't polarization just the logical conclusion of a two party system, because smearing the other side is about as effective a tool as having actual political positions?

Revan

Assumptionman
As far as I know, the only way on removing a congressman is to impeach them in the House (requires simple majority) and then the Senate to vote to remove them (requires 2/3 of the votes). In fact, voting to not accept the votes from some particular state, is totally constitutional. So legally, they are not doing anything wrong.

It has always been a system when the congressmen/senators for most part accept the results of the elections without really playing politics. Of course, a part of GOP has become a Trump-cult, so no surprise that they are throwing the spirit of the elections away.

Revan

Assumptionman
I thought it is 3/4 of the states (and 2/3 of both chambers of congress).

Revan

Assumptionman

In theory, 3/4 of states are needed to make electoral changes (for example, the winner of popular vote to become president). In practice, if states that control 270 electoral votes decide to change their system to giving the votes to the winner of the electoral vote. If that happens (which is what some Dem states are trying to do) then that is as good as changing the system in the federal level, cause then it does not matter how the other states decide to give the votes.

Revan

Assumptionman
3/4 is correct. This makes it even less likely.
Yeah. I think the best hope is that some Democrat leaning states find 270 votes and unilaterally change the way how they delegate votes. Of course, if only of them backtracks just before the election and the number of votes goes below 270, then the others might need to backtrack quickly.

Not the best ever solution, but might be good enough and definitely more feasible. Of course, the problem is that it needs both chambers of the congress of all those states to approve that.

So far, states that combine for 196 electoral votes have passed this law, with states that have another 82 electoral votes having passed on one chamber of their congress (needs the second one and either the governor to sign it into law, or for both chambers to override the veto). It isn’t exactly near but definitely more achievable than 3/4 of states deciding so.

Last edited:

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs

"The Georgia elections are illegal because i said so"
Trump calling this election " illegal and invalid" isn't exactly going to help Republican voter turnout. The GOP must be fuming.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Trump calling this election " illegal and invalid" isn't exactly going to help Republican voter turnout. The GOP must be fuming.
The early voting numbers I've seen in GA seem to favor the Dem candidates. Who knows what will happen on Wednesday, but as of right now, I wouldn't be shocked to see both Dems win.

Fully Fledged

The early voting numbers I've seen in GA seem to favor the Dem candidates. Who knows what will happen on Wednesday, but as of right now, I wouldn't be shocked to see both Dems win.
Wasn't Mail-in-Ballots mostly in favour of Dems in the Presidential Election as well though. Republicans had a far greater percentage turn up on the day.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Wasn't Mail-in-Ballots mostly in favour of Dems in the Presidential Election as well though. Republicans had a far greater percentage turn up on the day.
Yes. I’ve read that mail in ballots among Dems for next week’s election are significantly outpacing the November election, particularly among African Americans.

Fully Fledged

Yes. I’ve read that mail in ballots among Dems for next week’s election are significantly outpacing the November election, particularly among African Americans.
That's good. If they can get a majority in both houses and control the WH they might be able to make some significant improvements over the next 2 years at least.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
I wish he would sue her.
This shows how low the GOP has sunk - pitching wild lies to pander to the worst of the Trumpite base. But their big problem is that this base isn't enough to win elections in enough places. The GOP will sink further into its own mire.

WPMUFC

On Saturday, Cruz released a joint statement with fellow Senators Ron Johnson (R-WI), James Lankford (R-K), Steve Daines (R-MT), John Kennedy (R-LA), Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), and Mike Braun (R-IN) and Senators-elect Cynthia Lummis (R-WY), Roger Marshall (R-KS), Bill Hagerty (R-N), and Tommy Tuberville (R-AL) that said the group will reject President-elect Joe Biden’s Electoral College victory over President Donald Trump if their demand for an “emergency audit” is not met
https://www.mediaite.com/news/break...ng-to-reject-electoral-college-vote-on-jan-6/

Texas Congressman Louie Gohmert reacted to the dismissal of his lawsuit against Vice President Mike Pence by telling an interviewer that the decision sends the message that people must “go to the streets” and be “violent” in order to to have their grievances about President Donald Trump’s Electoral College defeat addressed.
https://www.mediaite.com/news/watch...g-people-to-go-to-the-streets-and-be-violent/
The republican party is irredeemable

Last edited:

GiddyUp

WPMUFC

It's why I get angry at people for being high and mighty and castigating me and my family for voting for Democrats because Biden is not for MC4A and Harris was a prosecutor. Look at the fecking alternative.
Gohmert is now calling on citizens to commit terrorism. I mean, how much longer do people need to understand there is no republican party left?

GiddyUp

Gohmert is now calling on citizens to commit terrorism. I mean, how much longer do people need to understand there is no republican party left?
Also by telling them to act like Antifa or BLM when we know that the deaths during the protests were caused by right wingers (who they now campaign off) and the vast majority of violence was perpetrated by the police. Trump's defacto lawyer (Lincoln Wood) is also representing Kyle Rittenhouse. His disgraced felon of a NSA (ex) suggested that he go in to these states he lost with the military and re run the election at gunpoint.
We are looking at a fascist political party and if any of their supporters want to complain about election or voter fraud I suggest they take a closer look at Mitch McConnell's campaign

WPMUFC

Statement from VP Pence Chief of Staff Marc Short:
“Vice President Pence shares the concerns of millions of Americans about voter fraud and irregularities in the last election....”

Short statement continued: “The Vice President welcomes the efforts of members of the House and Senate to use the authority they have under the law to raise objections and bring forward evidence before the Congress and the American people on January 6th.”

Totally normal political party folks. One GOP house member calls for terrorism as a result of losing a court case. 150+ party members are going to cause utter havoc on the 6th and now Pence "welcomes their challenge".

Can you imagine where that country would be with GOP congressional majorities, yet biden winning the presidency? I seriously doubt democracy would exist in that scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.