2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Viking

If the law says he should be seated in after he won the election and they refuse to do so that is a serious breach of the law and they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law as a result. This is more or less an lawless attack on the American democracy here under right for all voters to decide who gets elected or not. The Republicans are out right trying to seize power and influence by refusing to follow the legal procedures here if what is being reported is true. What is gonna be tested is if the judicial system can handle the situation accordingly, or Republicans and trump cultists have infiltrated the judicial to such a degree that the law won´t be followed intentionally under the guise of claiming the other side have stolen an election as the excuse for doing do.

I fear the American constitution have not separated political influence from the judicial system enough to prevent 1 rogue party from seizing political control. The powers of the judicial system, executive branch and legislative are too close in the American political system and ultimately this can enable one political party to simply have too much power and influence without enough political oversight to counter it if it goes rogue. Politicians selecting the judges in the American senate is a dangerous thing as its a direct path to take over the judicial branch. I fear this is a becoming a possibility as the republican politicians are unwilling to against the trump fanatics. These fanatics are becoming seriously dangerous to the idea that a country is ruled and governed on the rule of the law here under the constitution as the foundation. Over the last 4 years its becoming clear that this country is heading into a dangerous territory where the law doesn't matter nor providing proof of your claims of illegal activity as a base of the judicial system. You can´t convince zealots with reason or logic so what can you do ?

I think the something like the fairness doctrine needs to be reinstated very fast as a the first measurement to stop mass media from broadcasting conspiracy theories or out right false accusations without severe consequences from an legal perspective. Mass Media such as Fox News and individuals such as Alex Jones should never have been given such leeway to spread nonsense with impunity. People like them are dangerous to a society as they will cause untold damage to civil society as can be seen today in the U.S.A. The U.S.A need to construct a legal system that hold corporations and individuals accountable for spreading serious lies and deceit on mass media platforms. Freedom of speech without legal accountability have proven to be at best a dangerous flawed concept that are tearing the American society apart. I´m all for allowing people to say what they want but not without accountability for what they say or do.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There’s a special kind of mental deficiency in the south.
As someone who lived in AL and now in WI I can confirm that the mental deficiency is not localized to the South. There are racist insane white people everywhere, ESPECIALLY in rural lily white WI.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
As someone who lived in AL and now in WI I can confirm that the mental deficiency is not localized to the South. There are racist insane white people everywhere, ESPECIALLY in rural lily white WI.
That is true, necks gonna neck no matter where they live.

GiddyUp

There is no doubt now that the Republican party and their supporters are fascist.

sport2793

Yep, same in OR, which is a solid dark blue state. The reason it is this way politically is because of a narrow stretch of Interstate 5 in the northwestern part of the state where the majority of the population resides. Even in this narrow stretch there is a long history of racial exclusion + subtle racism. Politics does not ever tell the entire story.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
This has nothing to do with Russia. This is the American Right continuing its authoritarian turn.
But why now?

And why so brazenly?

They've always been authoritanian cnuts, why now are they so much worse?

I swear they're doing it like their lives depend on it and that makes me think back to the RNC hack.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Who do the nerds think will win the senate races?

nimic

something nice
Scout
But why now?

And why so brazenly?

They've always been authoritanian cnuts, why now are they so much worse?

I swear they're doing it like their lives depend on it and that makes me think back to the RNC hack.
It's basically the rise of Trumpism, mirrored by similar hard right turns in the rest of the world (Brazil, Hungary, Poland, Russia (a long time ago), etc. Even Britain is a good example of this, with Boris & Brexit. There's no way the entirety of the RNC is being blackmailed by the Russians on this scale without someone talking about it. It runs into the classic problem with conspiracy theories: the secrecy part is impossible.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It's basically the rise of Trumpism, mirrored by similar hard right turns in the rest of the world (Brazil, Hungary, Poland, Russia (a long time ago), etc. Even Britain is a good example of this, with Boris & Brexit. There's no way the entirety of the RNC is being blackmailed by the Russians on this scale without someone talking about it. It runs into the classic problem with conspiracy theories: the secrecy part is impossible.
I guess I'm still giving them too much credit that they'll say enough is enough at some point but this seems like an absolute hail Mary of a powergrab like they'll never get the chance again.

Trumpism has well and truly splintered and broken them. They either stick with the populist or they die out and form a new party I guess?

Odin

I agree, it is too big to be a conspiracy. I think opportunists everywhere feed on the situation, creating a 'movement' which is not coordinated, but still subject to certain arrangements and power relations affecting the direction and strength of the 'movement'. It is certainly more likely that Russia influence American politics to the best of their ability, than Russian covert politics not playing a part in Trump's absolvence of Russia and incessant focus shifting to China.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
From NY Times:

All that advertising seems to have worked for Republicans in at least one way: According to A.P. surveys, more voters see Ossoff and Warnock as “extreme” than Perdue or Loeffler.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
what happens to the people waiting in line when polls close?
They get to vote. If you are in line when the polls close you get to vote. If you walk up after they close you should turned away.

Source: my dad who was a California poll worker.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Looks like the Atlanta counties are posting their early vote numbers much earlier in the evening than during the general.

Part of me wishes they held that back to around 200A & post all those votes.

That would feel a bit like a soft late penalty winner at Anfield.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
The vacant seat is the one Harris held, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.