2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fosu-Mens

Trump, Graham, and Gingrich have said that they hope it is Bernie.

I don't get where does this idea that Bernie is the best candidate to defeat Trump. If he cannot win in a party that represents center and center-left, how is he gonna win over the entire population? He inspires turnout proved to be totally wrong, with the states that increased turnout going heavily in favor of Biden.

Bernie is easily the most popular in internet forums, but when it comes to the people who vote, he isn't standing that well. Even with massive financial advantage, he just got destroyed on Super Tuesday.
What @Siorac said.

And Trump ran and won a number of votes on "anti-establishment" and taking advantage of the distrust towards politicians and corporations. By coincident how Clinton was and is perceived by a number of voters. Biden is similar. The polls predicted that Bernie would win over Trump in 2016, Hillary was not a safe bet. Same indications now.

If the goal is to beat Trump, then Bernie is still the best bet.
If the voters want better healthcare over time. Bernie is the best candidate.
If the voters want a living wage without having to work 2 jobs, Bernie is the best candidate.
If the voters care about the climate or the environment, Bernie is the best bet.
Biden is status quo in regards to a system that have made the US citizens (not the rich) gradually into peasants striving to stay alive, not dissimilar to how the feudal system f*cked the serfs for several hundred years.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What @Siorac said.

And Trump ran and won a number of votes on "anti-establishment" and taking advantage of the distrust towards politicians and corporations. By coincident how Clinton was and is perceived by a number of voters. Biden is similar. The polls predicted that Bernie would win over Trump in 2016, Hillary was not a safe bet. Same indications now.

If the goal is to beat Trump, then Bernie is still the best bet.
If the voters want better healthcare over time. Bernie is the best candidate.
If the voters want a living wage without having to work 2 jobs, Bernie is the best candidate.
If the voters care about the climate or the environment, Bernie is the best bet.
Biden is status quo in regards to a system that have made the US citizens (not the rich) gradually into peasants striving to stay alive, not dissimilar to how the feudal system f*cked the serfs for several hundred years.
If that were true then Bernie would also be beating Biden right now, which clearly isn't happening. Nor is Bernie's core argument that he can build a mass movement that will "activate" the 65m people who currently don't vote, materializing. He has also somehow managed to not build on what he accomplished in 2016 by expanding his voter base to appeal to black voters in the Democratic party (no Dem in modern history has won the Presidency without strong support from the black community). So collectively, and despite the appeal of his policy positions, these factors don't paint a collectively flattering picture of his chances against Trump.

MTF

If that were true then Bernie would also be beating Biden right now, which clearly isn't happening. Nor is Bernie's core argument that he can build a mass movement that will "activate" the 65m people who currently don't vote, materializing. He has also somehow managed to not build on what he accomplished in 2016 by expanding his voter base to appeal to black voters in the Democratic party (no Dem in modern history has won the Presidency without strong support from the black community). So collectively, and despite the appeal of his policy positions, these factors don't paint a collectively flattering picture of his chances against Trump.
This. If Sanders wins the primaries then I want Sanders running. If Biden wins the primaries I want Biden running. Because of fairness and democracy? Not so much, but because the primaries are the best test (better than polls) of what is needed to win the general election: turning out people to vote for you.

When did we learn that Barrack Obama was actually a strong candidate for the general election? When he started to trounce Hillary in the primaries.

(Fwiw, polls sitting here in March show Sanders and Biden are fairly even candidates in swing states vs Trump, excluding Florida).

Fosu-Mens

There is a difference between being the prefered alternative to Trump and beating Biden. Two different scenarios. What you want is to take the most amount of voters that are not blindly voting for each party. They will vote for the DNC or GOP candidate regardless.
Biden wins a clear majority of the older afro-american voters, while Sanders wins among the younger black voters (not 100% sure). The reason as for why Biden wins a majority of the total of black voters can be explained by the reason that the % of younger afro-American people that vote are significantly less than in the older generation(s).
Swing voters, independents, people that voted for Trump purely based on their distrust in the DNC or dislike of Hillary (It was a reason the GOP and Trump ran on these stories) are what will make the difference against Trump. And polls, especially in 2016 showed that Sanders would be the prefered alternative among these groups.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Seems the originator of the tweet decided to double down:

A bit unfair to cherry pick that retweet, but the sentiment that stands behind the original statement explains so much. Focusing on super rich seems to be the most important thing to do during the democratic primaries, which makes total sense if you believe any version of this tweet...

Boycott

There is a difference between being the prefered alternative to Trump and beating Biden. Two different scenarios. What you want is to take the most amount of voters that are not blindly voting for each party. They will vote for the DNC or GOP candidate regardless.
Biden wins a clear majority of the older afro-american voters, while Sanders wins among the younger black voters (not 100% sure). The reason as for why Biden wins a majority of the total of black voters can be explained by the reason that the % of younger afro-American people that vote are significantly less than in the older generation(s).
Swing voters, independents, people that voted for Trump purely based on their distrust in the DNC or dislike of Hillary (It was a reason the GOP and Trump ran on these stories) are what will make the difference against Trump. And polls, especially in 2016 showed that Sanders would be the prefered alternative among these groups.
52% of white women voted for Trump despite all his rape accusers, video of bragging about sexual assault, bragging about walking in on underage dressing rooms, insulting women by looks, being total opposite to "family values". Maybe because of internalised misogyny. Because in 2018 that demographic was one of the reasons democrats won the house and it appears they are happy to vote for a male alternative to Trump.

Boycott

Also white males under 35 who voted for a guy who proclaimed climate change as a Chinese hoax so how about look at your own people first.

Fergies Gum

Still no endorsement from Warren for Bernie? :rolleyes: what is she waiting for.
Warren will end up endorsing Biden in the next 48 hours. No doubt she will use the excuse that some anonymous Bernie supporters have been nasty to her online and that she is endorsing Biden to help bring the country together.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Warren will end up endorsing Biden in the next 48 hours. No doubt she will use the excuse that some anonymous Bernie supporters have been nasty to her online and that she is endorsing Biden to help bring the country together.
I really think no endorsement before Tuesday is the favourite. Unless Bernie really is willing to make her his running mate. I think she'd bite his hand off for that.

Boycott

I think she's not going to endorse because neither of them deserve it.

She campaigned much better than Biden, debated better and is smarter than him.

She was taken to task about her plans costs in five months than Sanders has in five years.

Fergies Gum

Its so obvious that Biden is not up for this and its just pathetic that his campaign has had him hidden away from the campaign trail. Since Super Tuesday, i don't think he has done any rallies, events or public engagements.

Even the private fundraisers that have taken place in the past few days, he has sent his wife to go to those events on his behalf.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Its so obvious that Biden is not up for this and its just pathetic that his campaign has had him hidden away from the campaign trail. Since Super Tuesday, i don't think he has done any rallies, events or public engagements.

Even the private fundraisers that have taken place in the past few days, he has sent his wife to go to those events on his behalf.
He’s in that position where no good can come of him doing any public events. He’s got the media cheerleading him and trashing Bernie, the last thing they need is him going on stage and licking a girls face or telling the audience about the time he talked about the dangers of social media with Harry Truman.

entropy

Except for white men, you mean?
White men 62% Trump!

Edit, in fairness white women gave birth to the white men so still to blame.
I mean we really are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. the white men % doesn't swing an election the way women % of voters do. So it is a useless argument to make that white man voted for trump. Like duh of course they did. But it is the % of turn out amongst white women for trump which is largest amongst any other demographic that helped him secure the win.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
I mean we really are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. the white men % doesn't swing an election the way women % of voters do. So it is a useless argument to make that white man voted for trump. Like duh of course they did. But it is the % of turn out amongst white women for trump which is largest amongst any other demographic that helped him secure the win.
Do you have some numbers?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Serious question.

Is Trump going to get 4 more years by a mile or can anyone actually beat him?

nimic

something nice
Scout
This really doesn't make any sense to me. Either it's worth talking about both white women and white men as voting demographics, or it's not worth talking about either of them. Besides, if the 2012 Exit Poll numbers aren't completely wrong, then white women actually voted significantly more Democratic in 2016 than 2012. How then can the takeaway be that white women won it for Trump?

entropy

This really doesn't make any sense to me. Either it's worth talking about both white women and white men as voting demographics, or it's not worth talking about either of them. Besides, if the 2012 Exit Poll numbers aren't completely wrong, then white women actually voted significantly more Democratic in 2016 than 2012. How then can the takeaway be that white women won it for Trump?
Trust me I don't want to be talking about this either. But white women have more representation than any other demographic amongst women. You could have had a huge voter turn out amongst other black, brown or any other women demographic in 2016 but it still won't make a dent.

Blodssvik

Bernie should attack Biden for his disastrous role in the central american northern triangle and his mass privatisation, extractivism, social cuts and increased militarism schemes.

Fener1907

This is a good question.

Having only taken a quick glance at the numbers, Hillary did (43%) marginally better than Obama (42%) among white women, literally the only demographic the Democrats did better with compared to 2012.

At a guess, instead of looking at it from such a general perspective, I'd be more inclined to say that the greater issue was with how she performed among white voters (blue-collar workers in this case) away from her metropolitan strongholds, not just white people as a whole.

entropy

This is a good question.

Having only taken a quick glance at the numbers, Hillary did (43%) marginally better than Obama (42%) among white women, literally the only demographic the Democrats did better with compared to 2012.

At a guess, instead of looking at it from such a general perspective, I'd be more inclined to say that the greater issue was with how she performed among white voters (blue-collar workers in this case) away from her metropolitan strongholds, not just white people as a whole.
How can race or gender just be a "general perspective"?

Status
Not open for further replies.