2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang

Hasan Minhaj has been better than John Oliver for over a year now.

Really good episode released today.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Hasan Minhaj has been better than John Oliver for over a year now.

Really good episode released today.
That's very good, but he doesn't go far enough. One district = one representative needs to go too, for smaller parties (that aren't just regional or single-issue parties) to grow. Ideally the US would go to a parliamentary system as well, but that's probably never happening.

Fergies Gum

Bottoms & Duckworth were being vetted for the VP slot, but looks like they are out of the running now that they have been put on the platform committee.

Reckon Biden will pick Harris, Demings or Warren.

WPMUFC

That's very good, but he doesn't go far enough. One district = one representative needs to go too, for smaller parties (that aren't just regional or single-issue parties) to grow. Ideally the US would go to a parliamentary system as well, but that's probably never happening.
Australia took lessons from UK and US systems so we have a house of representatives and a senate, both of which are voted for in general elections. But add into that compulsory voting and preferential voting, also we make sure everyone can vote so it's never done during work days. Maybe it's time for the US to start looking at how others took their model and made it better, and then adapt those models.

Fergies Gum

Big day ahead for the progressive wing of the Dem party. Jamaal Bowman, Mondaire Jones & Charles Booker seem to be in good shape for their primaries. Qasim Rashid also has a chance in Virginia.

Will be a huge disappointment if they all end up losing today.

neverdie

An actually thoughtful article from NYT opinion: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/...-democrats.html#click=https://t.co/9LLGP6Jltc

"The second defeat of Sanders"
The writer underestimates the marxist train of thought which underpins much of the BLM movement. Though I said that people in congress taking knees, the PL doing the same, and talk about statues was a bad idea from the beginning as it clearly fit too well within an already antithetical establishment while achieving little to nothing at the same time. The gestural equivalent of Obama's empty liberalist rhetoric.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The writer underestimates the marxist train of thought which underpins much of the BLM movement. Though I said that people in congress taking knees, the PL doing the same, and talk about statues was a bad idea from the beginning as it clearly fit too well within an already antithetical establishment while achieving little to nothing at the same time. The gestural equivalent of Obama's empty liberalist rhetoric.
I think this part of the article gets to it:
The demand for police reform at the heart of the current protests doesn’t fit this caricature. But much of the action around it, the anti-racist reckoning unfolding in colleges, media organizations, corporations and public statuary, may seem more unifying than the Sanders revolution precisely because it isn’t as threatening to power.
Even within the protests, there seems to be a gap between the defund police group (some of whom are Marxists) and the Deray/8cantwait people (who are mostly neoliberal). It'll be interesting to see who wins out.

Also, a lot of criticism of Bernie from the centre and right and even some from the left has been boring and not well-argued. This writer (Ross Douthat) is a cultural conservative but he's not used a lazy narrative or half-read stats, this is a sharp postmortem.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
County clerk is Republican.
As is the States Sec of State Michael Adams.

1 polling place for 600K people. I have driven past the convention center/fairgrounds area countless times. There is no way any sane person would not know parking and traffic would not be a nightmare. So yah, this was so not an accident. Don't let the "empty" convention center pics fool you. People have to be able to get there and then park to get in.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Still in a blue city. The mayor is a democrat ffs.
But, who ultimately has control in this scenario? The governor is also a Democrat. But, do they have supervisory powers vis à vis elections? I honestly don’t know, but it would seem to me that the Sec State & the County Clerk might have a little fiefdom when it comes to elections. Thus is why all ballots matter, especially deep down on the page.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
As is the States Sec of State Michael Adams.

1 polling place for 600K people. I have driven past the convention center/fairgrounds area countless times. There is no way any sane person would not know parking and traffic would not be a nightmare. So yah, this was so not an accident. Don't let the "empty" convention center pics fool you. People have to be able to get there and then park to get in.
I’m going to literally quote myself. The SoS of KY is a republican and the shitshow in progress is quite literally the responsibility of the SOS of Kentucky who oversees state elections.

Drifter

American
Two Republicans opposed by Trump win in Kentucky and N Carolina . He's losing his mojo.

entropy

But, who ultimately has control in this scenario? The governor is also a Democrat. But, do they have supervisory powers vis à vis elections? I honestly don’t know, but it would seem to me that the Sec State & the County Clerk might have a little fiefdom when it comes to elections. Thus is why all ballots matter, especially deep down on the page.
I don’t think it is that straight forward tbh. Voter suppression has long been a bipartisan effort. I am also under no illusion about establishment dems playing fair. Especially when their candidate goes up against progressives.

Last edited:

Drifter

American
Congrats to Jamal Bowman . Big blow for Establishment and their lobbyist ,especially the Pro-Israel America PAC, and so much for the powerful endorsement of Congressional Black Caucus.

Last edited:

Fergies Gum

Still in a blue city. The mayor is a democrat ffs
Some useful info on these Twitter threads about the Louisville voting. Those from outside Kentucky were spreading misleading information on what was going on and that's how we ended up with sensationalist headlines like "600k voters can only vote at one polling station".

Status
Not open for further replies.