2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
They still have to work with local city council. Especially due to covid, they can enforce restrictions that are necessary for voters safety.
Ok, then let's take a different state: Georgia.

Atlanta: African American Democrat Mayor
Fulton County: 45% African American
Fulton County: Democrat majority for council seats

State: Republican SOS and Gov.

In the last primary I think on 3 or 4 counties had issues with broken/not enough machines and insufficient polling place density. You know what those counties had in common? They were the top 3-4 counties in minority population (including the shitshow that was Atlanta/Fulton County). So yeah, if you think this is some sort of democrat endorsed suppression of progressives then I do not know what to say. This is a concerted effort by the GOP to make voting as hard as possible as that is the only way they can win. Trump actually said it best: "If you make it easy to vote no republican will ever win again".

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Last guy is trailing by ~7%, and the second one isn't doing well, but the rest are all leading, some of them comfortably. Not bad. Makes a difference to the stats when the people you endorse include incumbents, which is a change from 2018.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Congrats to Jamal Bowman . Big blow for Establishment and their lobbyist ,especially the Pro-Israel America PAC, and so much for the powerful endorsement of Congressional Black Caucus.

Great that he appears to have won, but i doubt it would be a big blow to the establishment since a vast majority of Dems continue to support traditional Dem policies.

Drifter

American
Great that he appears to have won, but i doubt it would be a big blow to the establishment since a vast majority of Dems continue to support traditional Dem policies.
Yeah it was great. And more to come.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Every little bit helps at this point. They don't need that many congressmen to meaningfully affect policy, they just need enough to threaten to block legislation. They don't have it, but that's why all of these are so important.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Every little bit helps at this point. They don't need that many congressmen to meaningfully affect policy, they just need enough to threaten to block legislation. They don't have it, but that's why all of these are so important.
There will likely be more moderate Dem seats gained this cycle by way of defeating Republicans than progressive seats gained by defeating establishment Dems, so at the end of the day it won't move the needle for progressives in any meaningful way - other than of course giving them the confidence that they can occasionally win one off races as AOC did. The movement as a whole, still has a very long way to go before any of its core policy positions get adopted by the Dem party (much less Congress as a whole).

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
There will likely be more moderate Dem seats gained this cycle by way of defeating Republicans than progressive seats gained by defeating establishment Dems, so at the end of the day it won't move the needle for progressives in any meaningful way - other than of course giving them the confidence that they can occasionally win one off races as AOC did. The movement as a whole, still has a very long way to go before any of its core policy positions get adopted by the Dem party (much less Congress as a whole).
While this is the case, at least now there is some traction being gained by progressives. It feels like there is a shift to the left underway within America's young (in general) liberals. It will probably take a long time for this shift to realize in real power for change, if it ever does. If there is one "good" thing to come from this abomination of an administration it will be the invigoration of the progressive in this country.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
While this is the case, at least now there is some traction being gained by progressives. It feels like there is a shift to the left underway within America's young (in general) liberals. It will probably take a long time for this shift to realize in real power for change, if it ever does. If there is one "good" thing to come from this abomination of an administration it will be the invigoration of the progressive in this country.
100%. Its just going to take time for all of that to get realized into policy. The more young people that vote, the quicker progressive policies will get implemented.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I read something on 538 about Donny slightly losing strength among older voters in Florida, don’t know exactly why. And he’s losing suburban women everywhere which helps explain some of those numbers.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Clip of Bush Jr saying "the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon", as example of the kind of leadership the US needs. Yay, foreign wars leading to hundreds of thousands of dead civilians and the rise of ISIS.

I read something on 538 about Donny slightly losing strength among older voters in Florida
Old people like Biden.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Clip of Bush Jr saying "the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon", as example of the kind of leadership the US needs. Yay, foreign wars leading to hundreds of thousands of dead civilians and the rise of ISIS.
Bush speaking at the rubble was received very favorably at the time - as were the other reactions after tragedies from Reagan to Obama - which is why the ad will be effective against Trump.

Drifter

American

Would love this to happen . McGrath calls herself a Trump Democrat.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's too early for all this. This momentum needed to happen in October.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's too early for all this. This momentum needed to happen in October.
There's really no momentum. Trump is simply self-destructing during multiple crises. Biden hasn't actually done anything since campaigning has been largely paused.

Revan

Assumptionman
Where is the ONN poll?

With the pandemic mismanagement, I wouldn't be extremely surprised if Texas flips. Could also be the reality check for GOP to become less of a death cult party they have become.

Revan

Assumptionman

Would love this to happen . McGrath calls herself a Trump Democrat.
Not impressed. McGrath was tying McConnell in most polls. A more left-winged candidate would struggle with the independents.

I'll take a Trump Democrat (as ridiculous as it looks) if it means that McTurtle finally fecks off from the Senate. He is the most dangerous man in the US.

sport2793

Not impressed. McGrath was tying McConnell in most polls. A more left-winged candidate would struggle with the independents.

I'll take a Trump Democrat (as ridiculous as it looks) if it means that McTurtle finally fecks off from the Senate. He is the most dangerous man in the US.
Idk, I think a Trump Democrat is a bit too far for me so it's probably for the best if McGrath loses regardless of her ability to beat Moscow Mitch. Would cause a new set of problems down the line.

WPMUFC

Then she should have appealed to democrats better? Why on earth, in a democratic primary, should someone get away with absolutely no substance and basically saying she is a republican and that makes her the best democratic candidate?

Her Senate run is riddled with embarrassments. She said she would have voted to confirm Brett Kavanaugh — a no-go area even for many conservative Democrats — before reversing herself in response to outrage. She blurred out the images of two eastern Kentucky coal miners after they threatened to sue her for using them in an ad without their permission. She characterized McConnell as an impediment “in the way of what Donald Trump promised,” a statement understood by many as a way to dodge public criticism of the president.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/amy-mcgraths-senate-campaign-is-in-real-trouble.html

You're "not impressed" that this utter loser didn't win? Christ, she's one step away from asking Trump for an endorsement and threatening to veto Biden's policy agenda if she was elected. Makes me want to vomit.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Does Trump actually want to win reelection?

i think the last few months have shown that his strategy is 2 part:

1. Do everything possible to rile up his base.
2. Suppress the vote whenever possible, or else make it as difficult as possible, in battleground states.

This filing goes to point one, because if the last 3 years have taught us anything it is that the white "Christians" who make up his base don't give a damn about what actually is in their own best interest. Instead what matters is to see others punished or hurt. They don't care that the loss of the ACA will disproportionately hurt the poor (which many of them are), they only care that was put in place by that "Muslim" Obama and Trump is going to save them all by destroying everything Obama did.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Does Trump actually want to win reelection?

Seems like he's trying to burn the house down as he departs.

Also, this is a pure gift to Biden and the Dems. They can now run on this and use it to hammer him for the next four months.

Fosu-Mens

Biden should just stay silent or as anonymous as possible. Don't give the Trump campaign any more ammunition and the job will be done.

Question is when the Trump Admin will start trying to delay the election... COVID and mail voting fraud as excuses maybe?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Biden should just stay silent or as anonymous as possible. Don't give the Trump campaign any more ammunition and the job will be done.

Question is when the Trump Admin will start trying to delay the election... COVID and mail voting fraud as excuses maybe?
They can’t without cooperation from the Dem controlled House.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

They can't and won't since it would infuriate the public. What they can and will do however, is play a nasty voter suppression game by attempting to block voting by mail and in the process delegitimize the final result among his base (unless of course he wins, at which point he will boast how well he did in the face of all the adversity).

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
But they can impact who can vote, state reps/people can put people from certain districts or areas in a forced house lockdown due to COVID and "fear of riots"? Democratic-leaning areas will be under lockdown while republicans can roam free.
Forced house lockdown? No, that isn’t possible. They are attempting to restrict voting as per the post above, and they have been working on it for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.