2020 US Elections | Biden certified as President | Dems control Congress

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirAF

Ageist
Why isn't it on a weekend? It was one of the shocks of adult life to find out that not every country holds elections on a Sunday. It seems so natural.
Good question. The only thing I can think of is plain old voter suppression. Even Trump has said something like «if we make voting easier no republican will ever win again».

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
How do you stop them from cutting costs in their businesses or putting pressure on companies as shareholders to do so? You can't because that would be a dictatorship.

Taxing them heavily will only result in damaging those at the bottom of the pyramid; you need to realise this.
https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/140859/economics/the-laffer-curve/

Almost all reputable economists believe that having a top rate of tax of say 50% will have absolutely bugger all effect on economic growth compared to having 30% or 40%, yet it has a large effect on budget deficits. And in fact many economists believe that up to 60-70% top rate of income tax is actually the correct level for most economies.

So yeah, you guys have low taxes and shit loads of debt - you're doing it wrong, it's unsustainable and it's bad economics.

InfiniteBoredom

Why isn't it on a weekend? It was one of the shocks of adult life to find out that not every country holds elections on a Sunday. It seems so natural.
By 1792, federal law permitted each state to choose Presidential electors any time within a 34-day period[3] before the first Wednesday in December.[4] A November election was convenient because the harvest would have been completed but the most severe winter weather, impeding transportation, would not yet have arrived, while the new election results also would roughly conform to a new year. Tuesday was chosen as Election Day so that voters could attend church on Sunday, travel to the polling location (usually in the county seat) on Monday, and vote before Wednesday, which was usually when farmers would sell their produce at the market.
Something something tradition.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Good question. The only thing I can think of is plain old voter suppression. Even Trump has said something like «if we make voting easier no republican will ever win again».
I just checked and apparently it's always on the first Tuesday after the first Monday of November. Sundays were out of the question (historically speaking) because of Church service.

It's a civil holiday in Delaware, Hawaii, Kentucky, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Ohio and West Virgina, and 30 other states have statutes which force companies to provide their employees with enough time to vote. Colorado, Oregon and Washington conduct all elections through mail-in voting, and 37 states alongside Washington DC allow for early voting practices. So I guess it's better than it's ever been right now (and I think we're on course for an historically high voter turnout too?).

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
How do you stop them from cutting costs in their businesses or putting pressure on companies as shareholders to do so? You can't because that would be a dictatorship.

Taxing them heavily will only result in damaging those at the bottom of the pyramid; you need to realise this.
This is just a myth. A pervasive myth because the super-wealthy and the market fundamentalists try to keep spreading this myth but its neither true in theory nor is it true in reality when we examine what has actually happened when taxes on the rich and corporations are cut. The reality is taxing the super-wealthy and biggest corporations is the only thing that can save an eventual market collapse. Continuing with this level of laissez-faire will eventually lead to a collapse or ridiculous inequality.

You can only "just raise prices" to whatever you want if you have a monopoly on a necessity.
If you don't have a monopoly on a necessity, any corporate tax increase will be split between an increase in your prices and a drop in your profits.
The balance between the two depends on the elasticity of demand for your product (see long version, below).

https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ref/econ101e.html

Revan

Assumptionman
Because of Founders. Sunday was for worshipping. Monday was not possible cause for many back then it took a very long time of travelling to reach the poll station. So the founders decided to make it on Tuesday (enough time for people who leave their home on Monday to reach the polls on Tuesday and then to be able to go to market on Wednesday, when the market happened traditionally).

250 years later make no sense, but well, nothing in American politics make any sense.

NB: oh well, explained in some posts above.

Charlie Foley

I read that they couldn’t do it on Sundays (church) And Wednesday was market day. They needed a day before voting to travel to the polling place, which ruled out Monday and Thursday. So they chose Tuesday (though I don’t know why Friday/Saturday weren’t considered to be honest). The time of year was convenient regarding harvest being over and winter not hitting quite yet. (I haven’t fact checked any of this recently)

interestingly States initially could choose different days within a certain window, until 1845 when Congress chose a uniform date “the first Tuesday after the first Monday” (to avoid Nov 1st I believe).
In some states I believe it is now a public holiday, and other states have various other provisions. In California I believe you are supposed to get 2 paid hours off if you can’t otherwise get the time off to vote.
As for why it’s not changed since, one could point to “tradition,” intentionally leaving another obstacle to people voting, or I’m sure people have other reasons

Cloud7

Not going to lie, Weezy, 50 etc coming out in support of Trump is really, really weird. I'm almost sure they all condemned the outright racist actions of the American police force, and yet they support the man who has refused to condemn these actions, offers support to these same racist police and indeed has showed support for other outright racist groups. It's so strange.

Is it really because he's more likely to help them with respect to paying less taxes?

Ivor Ballokov

Not going to lie, Weezy, 50 etc coming out in support of Trump is really, really weird. I'm almost sure they all condemned the outright racist actions of the American police force, and yet they support the man who has refused to condemn these actions, offers support to these same racist police and indeed has showed support for other outright racist groups. It's so strange.

Is it really because he's more likely to help them with respect to paying less taxes?
Yes

Classical Mechanic

Who the feck is Lil Pump?
Someone's not in the Gucci Gang.

To be fair Lil Wayne said he didn't care a jot about BLM.

Cloud7

To be fair Lil Wayne said he didn't care a jot about BLM.
Did he really say that? Fecking hell.

Granted he grew up with Birdman so I assume he was privileged since he was young, but still, to view the world through a lens like that is tragic.

Dr. StrangeHate

Can we make a separate thread for election day with links inside to guide people on the best news streams and entertainment shows.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

50 has done a 180 and been critical of Trump now hasn’t he? He should likely have just stfu in the first place if he doesn’t understand what he’s talking about.

Charlie Foley

All the codeine messed up Lil Wayne’s brain so I’m not surprised he gets on well with Sudafed Don.

Ice Cube recently was critical of people suggesting the support was just about greed so I’m hesitant to suggest something like that. I do think “nothing can stop me” -minded wealthy men are drawn to a character’s such as Trump. Some people see his behaviour as ultra masculine.

Also...Important to remember being a talented/successful musician is like being a great sports star, no guarantee it means you’re intelligent in any other areas. Not everyone is Tupac, who was calling out people for wanting to be like Trump back in the early 90s

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
I'm working tomorrow so going to get some sleep at some point, but I can't decide if I'm going to stay up til 2ish (Irish time) or go to bed early and get up at 4ish to see how things are panning out.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Saw a good article about that recently on why some young rich black folks support Trump and it basically came down to the same phenomenon Trump exhibits - being so out of touch and infatuated with their own "success" that they see themselves in the guy.

It really is an odd mental leap to make but in a way it also shows how damaging that train of thought is to the black community imho- they are are being told by Rs that if you just work hard you ll be successful. Problem is of course that you cant look at what's literally less than a handful who got also lucky to get the fame and money they got. It conveys the message that somehow that that's a viable path for everyone. As we all know its not. My wife sees it a lot in her line of work where particularly in that community they think becoming a famous rapper or ball player or simply "entrepreneur" are the only way out of poverty etc. You can do well in life without being a millionaire or famous - that's what the focus should be on - but instead guys like 50 or Pump reinforce the belief that somehow they simply earned it all and just got there by working hard. Its extremely disingenuous and counter-productive imho... I know Im going off topic here so Ill leave it at that. Hope I didnt insult anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.