2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The mixed relay is fun. Crazy to see the man running with the women and the difference.
Did not expect that much of a difference honestly. Nigerian woman had like a 50 meter lead over the closest man at the start and she finished last

Classical Mechanic

Distance running is actually the one pure athletic talent humans have among mammals. Many other mammals are quicker, way more powerful (without even having to train for it) but over distance humans have a real biological advantage.
Wolves are range predators and can cover about 50 km a day. The average domestic dog can cover about 40 km everyday. Huskies can pull a sled for 100 km a day for 7 days on the run. A husky has a VO2 max of about 250, the highest recorded in a human is 90. Although Huskies have been artificially genetically selected to reach that incredible level of stamina it’s safe to say that the Canis genus is ahead of humans when it comes to stamina.

Last edited:

Carolina Red

Staff
Wolves are range predators and cover about 50 Miles a day. The average domestic dog can cover about 40 miles everyday. Huskies can pull a sled for 100 miles a day for 7 days on the run. A husky has a VO2 max of about 250, the highest recorded in a human is 90. Although Huskies have been genetically selected to reach that incredible level of stamina it’s safe to say that the Canis genus is ahead of humans when it comes to stamina.
Yes, but… Sweating beats panting.
Our main rivals for the endurance-running crown fall into two groups: migratory ungulates, such as horses and wildebeest, and social carnivores, such as dogs and hyenas. They can easily out-sprint us by galloping. But none can gallop very far without overheating—they largely rely on panting to keep cool, and they can’t pant when galloping, for panting involves taking very rapid, shallow breaths that would interfere with respiration when running. Dogs can gallop for only about 10 to 15 minutes before reverting to a trot, and so their distance-running speed tops out at about 3.8 meters per second. Horses’ average distance-running speed is 5.8 meters per second—a canter. Wildebeests’ is 5.1 meters per second.

Elite human runners, however, can sustain speeds up to 6.5 meters per second. Even run-of-the-mill joggers typically do between 3.2 and 4.2 meters per second, which means they can outrun dogs at distances greater than two kilometers.

Our “sustainable distance” is also hard to beat. African hunting dogs typically travel an average of 10 kilometers a day. Wolves and hyenas tend to go about 14 and 19 kilometers, respectively. In repeated distance runs, horses can cover about 20 kilometers a day. Vast throngs of human runners, by comparison, routinely run 42.2-kilometer marathons in just a few hours, and each year tens of thousands of people complete ultra-marathons of 100 kilometers and longer. (A few animals can match that under special circumstances. Huskies can trot up to 100 kilometers in Arctic conditions when forced to by people. But in warmer climes—no way.)
https://slate.com/culture/2012/06/l...un-horses-but-cant-jump-higher-than-cats.html

Last edited:

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Would be sad if Miedema will go out of this tournament.

She looks a level above everyone else.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dutch formula in action here. Be by far the better team. Miss a penalty to win. Lose on penalties

Toldo calling american keeper to tell her what to do :lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
She's the Stam

EDIT: nope. Great peno!

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Our pens :lol: Three of the worst penalties I ever saw in my lifetime.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Does anyone else feel like there are far too many players on each team in volleyball?

Its so crowded in there

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dutch formula in action here. Be by far the better team. Miss a penalty to win. Lose on penalties

Toldo calling american keeper to tell her what to do :lol:
Should've missed another 1 in regular time to finish the picture

youngrell

Did not expect that much of a difference honestly. Nigerian woman had like a 50 meter lead over the closest man at the start and she finished last
It was a shock, the Nigerian man looked like he was running with a bunch of kids.

Carolina Red

Staff

“For anyone saying I quit. I didn’t quit, my mind and body are simply not in sync. As you can see. I don’t think you realize how hard this is on hard/competition surface. Nor do I have to explain why I put health first. Physical health is mental health. I’m supposed to do 1 ½ more twists.”

"No, this was not happening before I left the USA. It randomly started happening after prelims competition the VERY next morning. By that time NO an alternate was not allowed to be placed in my position for you ‘know it alls.’”

“We have 4 on a team for a reason,” she continued. “I chose to not continue competition in jeopardizing losing a medal (of any color) for the girls/US. Also for my own safety and health.”

United Hobbit

Watching the trampolining, the height they get :nervous: and constant somersaults :nervous:

I did trampolining at school and liked seat drops and front drops (obviously far too basic for this!) I never attempted a Somerset too scared of landing on my neck, I also didn't do height!!

Kopral Jono

Incredible match in the badminton mixed doubles final. Number 2 seed Chinese team beating the number one seed Chinese team in a three set classic.
A bit out of topic but while badminton still produces classics such as today's final, in my opinion it lacks the drama of gruelling, grinding hour-plus matches as often seen during the days of the old scoring system. In balance the old system was better for everyone involved apart from marketing and TV execs. As a matter of fact I lost my keen interest in the sport right after they adopted the new one, only to have caught the bug again in the past few years (though nowhere near as keen as before).

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
A bit out of topic but while badminton still produces classics such as today's final, in my opinion it lacks the drama of gruelling, grinding hour-plus matches as often seen during the days of the old scoring system. In balance the old system was better for everyone involved apart from marketing and TV execs. As a matter of fact I lost my keen interest in the sport right after they adopted the new one, only to have caught the bug again in the past few years (though nowhere near as keen as before).
I am a bit undecided on it tbh. While the serve is definitely disadvantageous and i can see the argument for having only points won on your serve to count( more grinding, tough matches), i'm also a filthy casual and prefer shorter matches for my viewing experience. We might never get the epics between Lee Chong wei and Lin Dan again but having every exchange count for a point brings it's own tension and drama. I'd be okay with whatever the players feel is most fair honestly.

Kopral Jono

I am a bit undecided on it tbh. While the serve is definitely disadvantageous and i can see the argument for having only points won on your serve to count( more grinding, tough matches), i'm also a filthy casual and prefer shorter matches for my viewing experience. We might never get the epics between Lee Chong wei and Lin Dan again but having every exchange count for a point brings it's own tension and drama. I'd be okay with whatever the players feel is most fair honestly.
In my opinion the current scoring system is way too punishing, so to speak, for certain types of players, and watching one of today's men's doubles semifinals has reinforced my conviction on this. It's made the sport rather one-dimensional in terms of playing style where explosiveness is valued more than anything else. I also happen to think that endurance and stamina are key components of badminton as a sport (or at least the badminton I grew up with being around badminton fanatics).

It's been fifteen odd years since they adopted the current system and I still haven't warmed to it. There have been occasions indeed where it felt so foreign to me it's like watching a different sport.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just realised Caroline Dubois is sister of Daniel.

That's 1 family you wouldn't want to mess with :lol:

Agent Red

The triathlon mixed relay is an incredible event
It’s brilliant. I only realised last week that these mixed relays were being introduced this Games and they’re a really fantastic addition. Massively adds to the sense of team cohesion and heightens the drama.

Deery

Dreary
I’d so much love to be able to do what these guys do incredible!