g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Can we please not keep facing the Cubans in the final.

SirAnderson

Was in the office today and while we had it on, couldn't pay full attention so catching up now

Saw a clip of the climbing, which I'll watch properly later, on the catch up highlights show, they looked like spiderman, almost running up the wall, it was insane!

Can only tall people do the climbing? Don't think I'd be able to reach the hand holds :lol:
I missed the lead qualification round sadly, trying to find highlights of it is a pain. Nothing as yet. May just rather watch the females today.

SirAnderson

I'm interested in the criticism of the US media for listing the table in order of collective medals won, rather than by Golds won - especially following on from the huge criticism Piers Morgan (rightly) received when he talked about 'Golds being the be all and end all' and everyone, rightly in my view, disagreeing with him.

Personally, I've always thought the medals table, not just Gold medals table, should be listed by collective medals won first - with amount of Golds used as first separator if nations equal. Or, if Golds are to take on more significance, then at most say they're worth 2 points to Silver and Bronze 1 - that way, teams with slightly less medal tally but more Golds might be ahead. But in a situation where a team have way more medals than another, but say 1 or 2 less Golds, then the team with more medals would be ahead.

For instance, this time around, I don't agree that ROC, with 18 more medals than Australia, and 17 more Silver medals, are behind Australia just because they have just one extra Gold medal. If 1 Gold medal is deemed to equate more than 17 Silver medals, then that starts adding weight to Piers Morgan's earlier comments (which I strongly disagree with). It's like football tables only going off games won rather than points earned, so a team with just 1 extra win being above a team who've picked up 17 extra draws so have actually achieved plenty more points throughout the season / competition.
I agree it should be more collectively based ranking rather than just on the gold. Like you said, 1 extra goal, shouldn't be worth more than the 10 more silvers another team has over the other.

United Hobbit

I missed the lead qualification round sadly, trying to find highlights of it is a pain. Nothing as yet. May just rather watch the females today.
If you go on BBC, if I can recall there is some in the section up to 12pm, from about 11am? Can't remember if it's the red button or normal section, they were also showing a "live" red button section but as it was the 3rd event, I tried to find the first bit and in the process lost it. Why can't they arrange the coverage by event eg "gymnastics" "boxing" etc. I'd have quite liked to see the bouldering but can't find that anywhere

Bit sour of the GB boxer to remove his medal on the podium, I know its not gold but its still a medal...

OleBoiii

Waking up to see a 12 year old winning a silver medal and a 13 year old winning bronze. What the hell?! :p Is there even a limit to how young contestants are allowed to be?

Mike Smalling

Waking up to see a 12 year old winning a silver medal and a 13 year old winning bronze. What the hell?! :p Is there even a limit to how young contestants are allowed to be?
That's what so great about the Olympics - the athletes come in all shapes, sizes and ages. At the other end of the spectrum there was a 66 year old equestrian and a 57 year old skeet shooter.

SirAnderson

Skateboarding.
Ah yeah, Sky Brown is about 13 I believe. Not sure about other events but Skateboard is one of those where there's lots of very young competitors. Men's side is a it more older but still fairly young.
It is interesting that they allowed to compete at the Olympics. Guess the good old "if you good enough, you old enough" applies here.
Weren't the Chinese girls that took gold and silver with Biles getting bronze also very young?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ah yeah, Sky Brown is about 13 I believe. Not sure about other events but Skateboard is one of those where there's lots of very young competitors. Men's side is a it more older but still fairly young.
It is interesting that they allowed to compete at the Olympics. Guess the good old "if you good enough, you old enough" applies here.
Weren't the Chinese girls that took gold and silver with Biles getting bronze also very young?
Sky Brown competed in the US open aged 8!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is there an age limit in Skateboarding like there is in Football or perhaps an amateur requirement like there is/was in Boxing or is it just the natural progression in a sport where it pays to be light and agile? It makes sense if it’s the latter as having the physical attributes Sky has is far more beneficial to being a 6ft 3in McSqueeb. It seems perfectly predictable that it follows the arc of Gymnastics.

OleBoiii

That's what so great about the Olympics - the athletes come in all shapes, sizes and ages. At the other end of the spectrum there was a 66 year old equestrian and a 57 year old skeet shooter.
I read "street shooter" at first :lol:

So it would seem. I wonder what child psychologists think about this, though. It seems really intense to compete for Olympic medals in a sport famous for rough injuries when you're still in elementary school :p

Stactix

Kate March being relegated was interesting when the following race there was a touch of elbows that basically decided 2nd/third.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I get that funding is always an issue, and that population size shouldn't come into it, but how do India only have 3 medals and no golds?

Classical Mechanic

I get that funding is always an issue, and that population size shouldn't come into it, but how do India only have 3 medals and no golds?
There must be zero interest politically in the soft power of strong Olympic performances, a lack of participation in Olympic sports, no funding and terrible facilities. I'm sure the Indian government will wake up to it sooner rather than later and they'll become a force.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is there an age limit in Skateboarding like there is in Football or perhaps an amateur requirement like there is/was in Boxing or is it just the natural progression in a sport where it pays to be light and agile? It makes sense if it’s the latter as having the physical attributes Sky has is far more beneficial to being a 6ft 3in McSqueeb. It seems perfectly predictable that it follows the arc of Gymnastics.
It’s a lot more dangerous than gymnastics. Sky fractured her skull and damaged her heart and lungs in a horrific fall last year. I wonder if a child getting smashed up on live television might bring in some legislation around age?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Each federation can decide on a minimum age to compete in the Olympics. I believe it's the year you become 16 for gymnastics for example, but there is none for skateboarding.

It's simply the age you start doing it that matters, but you don't peak that early like they do in gymnastics. For example Ryan Sheckler and Nyjah Huston were both already stars as a teenager but Nyjah is still amongst the best in the world right now aged 26. You might transition more from park to street but that's basically it (street is a lot more diverse so more freedom).

OleBoiii

I don't think population size is that important. I think living standards, culture and funding are the most important metrics.

Brazil, Indonesia, Nigeria, Pakistan and Bangladesh are all in the top 10 largest countries by population size, and none of them are great Olympic nations(although Brazil seem to do 'OK' at least).

Hopefully it will be a while before that makes it on the Olympic program - the Americans would have a massive advantage!
Damn, you're right! :eek:

Last edited:

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
TBF in terms of medal count, this is our 2nd most successful Olypics ever since 2012 when we won 6 medals.

As for your question, lack of funding, interest, infrastructure and lack of decent wages for athletes along with politics is responsible for all this

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Each federation can decide on a minimum age to compete in the Olympics. I believe it's the year you become 16 for gymnastics for example, but there is none for skateboarding.

It's simply the age you start doing it that matters, but you don't peak that early like they do in gymnastics. For example Ryan Sheckler and Nyjah Huston were both already stars as a teenager but Nyjah is still amongst the best in the world right now aged 26. You might transition more from park to street but that's basically it (street is a lot more diverse so more freedom).
Nyjah is the GOAT and 26 is still relatively young, he’d be approaching retirement age as a gymnast but that’s more down to the impact stress combined with the flexibility and strength requirements of gymnastics. There’s definitely scope to evolve and improve the technical side of things but there’s a reason that the first 1080 was landed by a 12 year old. How can fully grown adults compete with kids who have more hang time to execute their tricks? I think vert is likely to be dominated by kids for the foreseeable.

SirAnderson

Yes I actually think I heard the age thing on the climbing yesterday when the USA guy Duffy was up. He is 17 and the commentator said that only when he turned 16 he was eligible for it, but has been competing in other competitions for some time.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Watching the women's speed climbing and the German commentator just explained a strange situation for tomorrow's men final. Interesting but dumb (if you ask me) situation @Pogue Mahone .
So because Mawem will be out due to his horrendous injury, the final will start with 7 instead of 8. Megos (as 9th of the qualifiers) will not move up as a replacement, apparently the rules only allow the first 8 to participate no matter what (this is the first dumb rule to me). But it gets worse: In the final, the speed ranking is decided based on a knockout system, seeding based on their times in the qualifiers. So you'd have quarter finals of:
1vs8
2vs7
3vs6
4vs5
Now that Mawem (who had the quickest time) is out, Ondra (who had the slowest) gets a bye in the quarter finals which gives him at least a top 4 finish in the section where he normally would've finished 8th. I can't believe they're not giving the quickest guy a bye if only 7 participate. I'd be happy for Ondra to get gold but if I'm a competitor who was putting his hopes on being ahead of him after speed, I'd be pretty pissed that he gets a bye. Especially in a system of multiplication where a factor x4 makes a huge difference to x8.

Given that the combined system has drawn quite a lot of criticism in itself, this is quite a clusterfeck, hopefully it won't impact tomorrow's competition too much.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Watching the women's speed climbing and the German commentator just explained a strange situation for tomorrow's men final. Interesting but dumb (if you ask me) situation @Pogue Mahone .
So because Mawem will be out due to his horrendous injury, the final will start with 7 instead of 8. Megos (as 9th of the qualifiers) will not move up as a replacement, apparently the rules only allow the first 8 to participate no matter what (this is the first dumb rule to me). But it gets worse: In the final, the speed ranking is decided based on a knockout system, seeding based on their times in the qualifiers. So you'd have quarter finals of:
1vs8
2vs7
3vs6
4vs5
Now that Mawem (who had the quickest time) is out, Ondra (who had the slowest) gets a bye in the quarter finals which gives him at least a top 4 finish in the section where he normally would've finished 8th. I can't believe they're not giving the quickest guy a bye if only 7 participate. I'd be happy for Ondra to get gold but if I'm a competitor who was putting his hopes on being ahead of him after speed, I'd be pretty pissed that he gets a bye. Especially in a system of multiplication where a factor x4 makes a huge difference to x8.

Given that the combined system has drawn quite a lot of criticism in itself, this is quite a clusterfeck, hopefully it won't impact tomorrow's competition too much.
Yeah, I heard about that yesterday. Seems completely crazy. Although I guess the edge is taken off the unfairness because it’s Ondra that it helps. We can’t really complain if the first ever olympic gold goes to the strongest climber on the planet right now.

United Hobbit

Awesome, finishing up a zoom meeting and getting on it. :lol:
Work productivity has been terrible since the Olympics started. :nervous:
Fortunately now off (school related job) though had to do last week Fortunately could do from home (usually in the office) so of course it was on in the background I'm going to miss having so much sport on for most of the day, I know there's the paralympics but they don't start yet

SirAnderson

1vs8
2vs7
3vs6
4vs5

Wow that is not cool at all. Would also be pissed. That's just messed up really.

OleBoiii

I have a few questions about speed climbing:

1. Is every wall identical(not just in terms of height)?
2. If not: are the contestants allowed to practice on the wall before the event?

It strikes me as a huge advantage to plan your course to get the most out of your reach and momentum.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I have a few questions about speed climbing:

1. Is every wall identical(not just in terms of height)?
2. If not: are the contestants allowed to practice on the wall before the event?

It strikes me as a huge advantage to plan your course to get the most out of your reach and momentum.
For speed climbing yes. The route has been established about 15 years ago and it's always identical.