2021 Summer Olympics (Tokyo)

Ainu

Has a legitimate claim for GOAT street skater imo, alongside Koston and Burnquist perhaps. His current X Games medal streak is unmatched as well.
Meh, I really don't believe a debate about the greatest skateboarders can be resolved by looking at competitive results. Doesn't work for me. Maybe you could give him the "greatest competition skater" tag or something.

Agent Red

The showjumping is always a great watch, I don't know why people are sniffy about it. Great stuff from Maher with the added bonus of GB overtaking Australia in the medal table (for now).

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Has a legitimate claim for GOAT street skater imo, alongside Koston and Burnquist perhaps. His current X Games medal streak is unmatched as well.
I wouldn’t argue against him being the GOAT competition skater for sure but I’m just an old man now who likes other stuff

Mark Appleyard is my man, his style is something else

Dan_F

Gutted for KJT. It must be crazy going into it basically knowing you’re going to feck your body up, but doing it anyway.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Thought that GB beat Netherlands in the women's final 2016?

Is hockey popular in Holland or other European countries?
Yes, but I think that was considered an upset. The women won 3 Olympic gold medals and a bunch of other trophies.

The Netherlands is a massive field hockey nation even if the men have been disappointing for years. As for it's popularity, I think it's quite popular, but only posh people play it. I personally don't give a toss about it. Though the ladies are nice to look at.

Classical Mechanic

Yes, but I think that was considered an upset. The women won 3 Olympic gold medals and a bunch of other trophies.

The Netherlands is a massive field hockey nation even if the men have been disappointing for years. As for it's popularity, I think it's quite popular, but only posh people play it. I personally don't give a toss about it. Though the ladies are nice to look at.
I know team GB winning was a surprise because we're rubish at hockey but it seemed you were surprised that the Netherlands had won?

It's a very niche sport over here, also played by the upper middle class generally. I was curious if there's actually a real hockey scene on mainland Europe.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I loved seeing Biles teammates in tears watching her complete her beam routine.

Teammates don’t do that when they think you quit on em. feck the haters. Simone is the GOAT
I found the coverage so tiresome. Seemed like a nice human interest story squeezed for every ounce of sentiment. Sad for her of course. But the people worthy of attention were the girls who put their all into silver and gold. Amazing performances

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Meh, I really don't believe a debate about the greatest skateboarders can be resolved by looking at competitive results. Doesn't work for me. Maybe you could give him the "greatest competition skater" tag or something.
Yeah agreed, although it's the "best" (or only) measuring stick we have if you really wanna compare skaters, otherwise it just comes down to preferences probably. Would've been fun if they had included a game of SKATE in the Olympics as well :D

I still think back fondly of the times when going to the Lockwood in Antwerp was the highlight of my weekends. Those were the days :cool:

I wouldn’t argue against him being the GOAT competition skater for sure but I’m just an old man now who likes other stuff

Mark Appleyard is my man, his style is something else
Style wise Nyjah doesn't come close true, he's too much of a robot for that imo. Give me Dylan Rieder in that case, second to none :drool:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Btw, have the 'murican men won anything in the sprints?

Ainu

Yeah agreed, although it's the "best" (or only) measuring stick we have if you really wanna compare skaters, otherwise it just comes down to preferences probably. Would've been fun if they had included a game of SKATE in the Olympics as well :D

I still think back fondly of the times when going to the Lockwood in Antwerp was the highlight of my weekends. Those were the days :cool:

Style wise Nyjah doesn't come close true, he's too much of a robot for that imo. Give me Dylan Rieder in that case, second to none :drool:
I still have my last board I bought there, a beautiful Element deck (always loved their designs). My skateboarding days are long gone at 34 now though, I probably haven't touched it in about 15 years.

I'll always be a Rodney Mullen guy. Sure, it's an easy pick, but he makes skateboarding look like art. In terms of current-era skaters I do appreciate the style of Luan Oliveira. There's just no one who pops his tricks like him. It's like he's skating at 200% literally all the time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know team GB winning was a surprise because we're rubish at hockey but it seemed you were surprised that the Netherlands had won?

It's a very niche sport over here, also played by the upper middle class generally. I was curious if there's actually a real hockey scene on mainland Europe.
Ah no, was being sarcastic, we always win :)

Droid_Repairs

Why do Olympic weight lifters and competitive strongmen in general carry a lot of fat? Is there any benefit to it?

OleBoiii

Why do Olympic weight lifters and competitive strongmen in general carry a lot of fat? Is there any benefit to it?
I don't think there are any advantages to being ripped when the only goal is to lift heavy objects. In "bro science terms": if you want to lift as heavy as possible, then the amount of muscle(not body fat percentage) is the only thing that matters.

I've seen many fat bastards who's hardly ever worked out lift way more than some really athletic guys.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Low body fat isn’t really conducive to building maximum muscle and retaining strength, so yeah they prioritise that over anything else

Mike Smalling

It must be virtually impossible to build that much muscle without gaining a lot of fat as well, and it would probably be detrimental for their training if they tried to shed it.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Weight lifters usually consume a hefty amount of calories, often whilst they are in the middle of training, couple that with a minimum of cardio training, then you will gain mass.

Not all mass gained is 'fat', but having more mass usually means moving more mass, hence the bigger you are generally the more weight you can lift, not always the case but is a general rule of thumb.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
There is no real benefit to it but also no drawback. They naturally build that fat with their diet, and then simply don't need to shed it

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

How can they not carry some fat with a diet like that. Dude is eating 8 eggs and a bowl of cereal and is hungry an hour later :lol:

United Hobbit

Will properly watch the skateboarding later but they showed some clips of Sky earlier, it was impressive to see someone so young keep her composure and nail the trick she kept going splat at on her final run. The lack of helmets in the street made me cringe a little so it was good to see her looking "cool" in her knee pads and helmet as presumably she has quite a young, impressionable following?

Didn't they say when doing an article about her pre games that her brother is a skateboarder too? Is he similarly good?

I'd like to see half pipe at the Olympics bet some of the tricks would be mind boggling (obviously these were too but the extra height just gives even more wow factor)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Having a fatter belly actually helps lift the heavy weights onto it like a cushion. They call it a power belly.

It's also as simple as more mass moves more weight. The heavier you are, the heavier you can lift.

Skills

Snitch
More muscle basically. Cutting weight to get shredded means you lose muscle too.

The weight capped competitions are different, where the guys are more shredded. But it all comes down to leverages there

Carolina Red

Staff
Worth noting too that the large core those super heavyweight lifters has is hiding a massive amount of core muscle.

Eddie Hall when he set his world record…

What Eddie was hiding…

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Those wall climbing speed events are actually quite a decent watch.