2022 US Elections

InfiniteBoredom

Because the young voters voted for democrats overwhelmingly - more so than usual. There were no other unique factors apart from FL.

Also, someone from WP stated that the predictions are still decent and most of them were within the error of margins. Because most people do not understand terms such as 'toss up' and only look at numbers such as 55-45, the predictions seem totally off. His words though not mine.
One of the reasons.
The youth vote were down from 2018. It’s not uniquely high this cycle.

It’s more the case that Dobbs and election denial really fecked the GOP wherever they are an issue and D have a chance (swing states), either in the form of ballot measures or MAGA candidates running. All Stop the Steal candidates running for Secretary of State positions in battleground states were defeated, for instance. D also seemed to successfully ratfecked the GOP this time for once by pushing that sort of candidates in R primaries.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The youth vote were down from 2018. It’s not uniquely high this cycle.

It’s more the case that Dobbs and election denial really fecked the GOP wherever they are an issue and D have a chance (swing states), either in the form of ballot measures or MAGA candidates running. All Stop the Steal candidates running for Secretary of State positions in battleground states were defeated, for instance. D also seemed to successfully ratfecked the GOP this time for once by pushing that sort of candidates in R primaries.
There was more youth vote in 18 v 22? I could have sworn I read something to the contrary.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I would say we should wait till actual demographic data is released. Reaching conclusions of voting demographics based only on exit polls is a bit of a risk.

The United

There was more youth vote in 18 v 22? I could have sworn I read something to the contrary.
The CNN article I quoted earlier said it was average and in line with the past 20 years of midterms.

"A look at the data suggests there probably wasn’t a surge of youth participation relative to the rest of the electorate. But it does suggest that Democrats defied election expectations this year because of a historically large age gap that saw young voters overwhelmingly back Democratic candidates.

The lack of a youth surge becomes quickly apparent when you look at the exit polls. Voters under the age of 30 made up 12% of all voters. In every midterm in the last 20 years, this group has made up between 11% and 13% of the electorate." - CNN

According to NYTimes, 27% of youth turned out and 63% voted for Democrats in 2022 (data available for now) vs 31% of youth turned out and 67% voted for Democrats in 2018.

Last edited:

ChaddyP

Is there some rules like you can only start counting mail in ballots after a certain date or something? It's mind boggling. I used to follow the Taiwanese elections on TV and the votes are counted and updated real time.
The "problem" is that you can vote in these states the day of the election by mail, and it can come in for some states even a week after postmark date. California for instance always takes long but it never used to matter as the race was called before they finished counting

InfiniteBoredom

The "problem" is that you can vote in these states the day of the election by mail, and it can come in for some states even a week after postmark date. California for instance always takes long but it never used to matter as the race was called before they finished counting
And sometimes you actually, physically, cant count mail in ballots until after voting has closed on Election Day. The Republican legislature of PA passed a law dictating such, then their candidates went out and raised a stink about the legitimacy of those ballots. They can be received, signature verified and sorted, ready to go into the counting machine, but they aren’t allowed to be tabulated until the EDay votes come in.

Drifter

American
I hope everyone realizes this guy isn't actually some kind of genius who has finally figured out projecting election results in the US. He's done well this time, though.
He's a lot better than those overpaid so-called experts.

ChaddyP

And sometimes you actually, physically, cant count mail in ballots until after voting has closed on Election Day. The Republican legislature of PA passed a law dictating such, then their candidates went out and raised a stink about the legitimacy of those ballots. They can be received, signature verified and sorted, ready to go into the counting machine, but they aren’t allowed to be tabulated until the EDay votes come in.
Yes that's usually an issue for the day after election... The reason this is taking so long and always takes long is due to post marked ballots being given the chance to be counted even a week after the actual election.

Carolina Red

Staff
If you’re really bored, go onto Facebook and go onto the 1776 Nation group page.

It’s full of thousands folks who think the US is currently under a military occupation led by Trump and that the current admin and elections are something like the curtain in the wizard of Oz.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
To be fair, they have it at 15% in the Lite model, which only uses the polling. The fact that the "Deluxe" model has it as 2% says more about the "experts". Also seems like there were exactly two polls in that race, one Perez at +2 and one more recent Kent at +4, so yeah, predictions for some House seats seems almost futile.
They (538) ARE the experts converting lite to deluxe, otherwise they might as well be a poll aggregator.

Charlie Foley

Remember in 2020 we had that guy who worked as a pollster, would love his thoughts right now. I think he shut down his account though

Charlie Foley

If you’re really bored, go onto Facebook and go onto the 1776 Nation group page.

It’s full of thousands folks who think the US is currently under a military occupation led by Trump and that the current admin and elections are something like the curtain in the wizard of Oz.
I tried to read some of the posts on there and got a headache.

Carolina Red

Staff
In English please
A .380 ACP is also called a 9mm Short… it’s a 9mm projectile with less power than a normal 9mm. A 9mm is a pretty light cartridge already, so a .380 is very easy shooting.

A .22lr has so little recoil that you could just about hold it against your testicles and pull the trigger without hesitation.