• Germany vs Brazil
  • France vs England
  • Spain vs Portugal
Semi Finals:
  • Netherlands vs Germany
  • France vs Spain
Finals:
  • Germany vs Spain
Wow, i know that people underestimate us on every tournament but this is new. You give more chance to Canada over world vice champions?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Wow, i know that people underestimate us on every tournament but this is new. You give more chance to Canada over world vice champions?
The Canadian lobby mafia is omnipresent on here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hey I'm saying there's a chance! Normally I rate you guys really highly but the last euros gave me the impressing of an old/tired team that needs a refresh. Canada has a lot of danger men with pace and that could hurt Croatia (which again, at the euros looked painfully slow and one dimensional). I haven't heard of any big change since then so I can see them underperforming is pretty much it!

Luke1995

Ghana’s not in their group. Canada are. But I agree, it’s definitely the group that isn’t very easy to call.
Are you sure about that ? Or I am missing something ? Because when I watched the live drawn, Ghana was there. Sorry if i'm wrong.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
How on earth has that hack Jenas managed to land this gig.
He's perfect for this kind of a gig where he doesn't have to use his brain at all or give his personal inputs.

He just has to conduct the draw. Just a friendly face calling out names and shit.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Surprised most people think Poland will go through instead of Mexico. This is the easiest group Mexico has had since 2006 and Mexico has always gone through.

In 2010 it was with France, Uruguay and South Africa, in 2014 with Brazil, Croatia and Cameroon, in 2018 with Germany, South Korea and Sweden.

And yes Mexico has been playing horribly but that has been the case for a long time in the qualifiers. I don't know the reason, probably mental, Mexico plays with such arrogance against CONCACAF sides. But still playing awful Mexico managed to finish with the same points as Canada and above the USA in the qualifiers.

darko

Surprised most people think Poland will go through instead of Mexico. This is the easiest group Mexico has had since 2006 and Mexico has always gone through.

In 2010 it was with France, Uruguay and South Africa, in 2014 with Brazil, Croatia and Cameroon, in 2018 with Germany, South Korea and Sweden.

And yes Mexico has been playing horribly but that has been the case for a long time in the qualifiers. I don't know the reason, probably mental, Mexico plays with such arrogance against CONCACAF sides. But still playing awful Mexico managed to finish with the same points as Canada and above the USA in the qualifiers.
Canada needed just three points in there last three matches to clinch first. But Mexico getting nine in their last three was a big improvement in their form.

rojo81

Supports
Juventus
Canada needed just three points in there last three matches to clinch first. But Mexico getting nine in their last three was a big improvement in their form.
I agree Canada did a much better qualifier than Mexico and is playing very well. Last game (i think it was in Edmonton?) Canada outplayed Mexico easily.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara

Is asking Tata Martino to pull a "Paraguay 2010" with Mexico too much?

I guess he could. But to do that he would need to end up as group leaders to avoid France and try to get Denmark/Peru, and Mexico generally screws up most of their chances by finishing 2nd place of its group.

So, it's crucial for Mexico to beat Poland and to win/draw vs Argentina - one of our worst nightmares in World Cups/Internationals - and to obviously win vs the 'weakest' Saudi Arabia.

So well, I don't know much about Poland save Lewandowski and Zielinski, but should be a leveled match.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
US a real unknown going in, the issue is that they are too young with a stupid manager so other more experienced sides will take advantage of their naive approach. A shame really as the first XI is a lot stronger than people realize. Maybe 1 point but wouldn't be surprised to see US lose all 3 matches.
You're kidding right? England is horrendously overrated and generally, performs very bad against the US. Iran is one of the weakest teams of this WC and if the winner of the remaining UEFA spot is either Ukraine/Scotland I don't see these ones beating the US. Wales IMO is stronger and if manages to take that spot, might be a surprise in the competition.

sport2793

You're kidding right? England is horrendously overrated and generally, performs very bad against the US. Iran is one of the weakest teams of this WC and if the winner of the remaining UEFA spot is either Ukraine/Scotland I don't see these ones beating the US. Wales IMO is stronger and if manages to take that spot, might be a surprise in the competition.
I'm basing it off of what I've seen in WC quality, just seems like these players aren't quite ready for the tricks that more experienced teams will throw against them and just as importantly, the manager is incapable of preparing the team for difficult situations.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
These are my round of 16 predictions:

Netherlands
Senegal

England
USA

Argentina
Mexico

France
Peru

Germany
Spain

Belgium
Canada

Brazil
Cameroon

Uruguay
South Korea

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
The US has numerous issues that could derail their World Cup, although anything can (and does) happen in these one-off matches therefore the US could win the group just as well as finish last or fall somewhere in between. They have a disastrous keeper issue to iron out, an inept manager, and a defensive deficiency to address. They also have key players apparently as fragile as an egg. The midfield, be it a two-man or three-man, has the ability to control tempo but they need their best players fit as the drop-off in quality from say Adams/McKennie to Acosta/Berhalter fav-of-the-day is massive.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The US has numerous issues that could derail their World Cup, although anything can (and does) happen in these one-off matches therefore the US could win the group just as well as finish last or fall somewhere in between. They have a disastrous keeper issue to iron out, an inept manager, and a defensive deficiency to address. They also have key players apparently as fragile as an egg. The midfield, be it a two-man or three-man, has the ability to control tempo but they need their best players fit as the drop-off in quality from say Adams/McKennie to Acosta/Berhalter fav-of-the-day is massive.
What's this?

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
What's this?
Their keeper situation is a mess IMO. None of them fill me with a single bit of confidence and none of them show me any sign of being a match-winner type when the rest of the side is struggling, like say a Friedel, Howard, Keller type performance on any given day. Heck, I'd take a Guzan, Hahnemann, or Sommer type today.

@WI_Red has had his take on the keeper mess as well. Not sure how other Nats feel about it.

Last edited:

Djemba-Djemba

If Wales or Ukraine qualify they'll make it out the group with England.

If Scotland qualify USA will get out the group with England.

Luke1995

My apologies mate, completely looking at the wrong group!
Sure, no problem!

Anyway, although some groups look boring on paper, I think the fact that players will be in the middle of the season will help the games. They should be in peak form.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Their keeper situation is a mess IMO. None of them fill me with a single bit of confidence and none of them show me any sign of being a match-winner type when the rest of the side is struggling, like say a Friedel, Howard, Keller type performance on any given day. Heck, I'd take a Guzan, Hahnemann, or Sommer type today.

@WI_Red has had his take on the keeper mess as well. Not sure how other Nats feel about it.
yeah, it’s a real mess. Berhalter loves Steffen because he coached him at club level and is convinced his “super amazing tactics” require a ball playing goal keeper. On the other hand you have Matt Turner who is (according to every advanced metric and the eye test) a world class shot stopper. Unfortunately he makes De Gea look like Xavi. Both of those guys are backups for their club now. The US does not need a ball playing keeper, it needs a shot stopper and a player who controls his box. Turner was fantastic when Steffen was injured but was immediately replaced when Steffen returned. I could go on but wrong thread.

FerociousCorgis

yeah, it’s a real mess. Berhalter loves Steffen because he coached him at club level and is convinced his “super amazing tactics” require a ball playing goal keeper. On the other hand you have Matt Turner who is (according to every advanced metric and the eye test) a world class shot stopper. Unfortunately he makes De Gea look like Xavi. Both of those guys are backups for their club now. The US does not need a ball playing keeper, it needs a shot stopper and a player who controls his box. Turner was fantastic when Steffen was injured but was immediately replaced when Steffen returned. I could go on but wrong thread.
Yeah it is kinda funny- undoubtedly the most talent in the usmnt pool except in the one position historically we have excelled at, which is now the weakness

ROFLUTION

Just hope England go out fast.

Sorry guys, you've been the biggest dicks of the decade last time around.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Just hope England go out fast.

Sorry guys, you've been the biggest dicks of the decade last time around.
Think England’s ceilings is probably the quarters. However I don’t think their is a clear favorite in the WC this year.

- France are the most talented but they tend to get complacent.

- England are the Spurs of international teams, career bottlers

- Brazil. Just don’t have enough

- Argentina I actually like, if Messi was a bit younger they would have a real shot

- Portugal is too old but they also just like France are way too complacent. Portugal is either really tough to beat or they are bad.

- Spain young and up and coming but seems like something is missing

- Netherlands are kind of like Portugal

- Germany has talent to grind out wins but lack a real goal scorer.

avgp_1

The Asian teams will spring a surprise. I can see Japan and esp Iran being massive party spoilers for the bigger nations. I can see Iran beat the younger inexperienced USA in Qatar.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I don't trust Portugal at all. They are very good in patches, but not consistent when it matters the most (In world cups)

Uruguay should top that group and I think South Korea could put up a good fight for the 2nd spot. Not sure about Ghana, but IMO that's the most interesting group.
You are not wrong. Other than Qatar, Portugal is our ideal seed.

The rest is a nightmare. We always get battered by African teams and end up with half the side injured after. We also always struggle against Japan and Korea running around like Duracell bunnies. It's kryptonite, more so as an opening game.

I would happily play Portugal three times instead of that, not as a spectacle but the confidence of coming through with a result.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

The rest is a nightmare. We always get battered by African teams and end up with half the side injured after. We also always struggle against Japan and Korea running around like Duracell bunnies. It's kryptonite, more so as an opening game.

I would happily play Portugal three times instead of that, not as a spectacle but the confidence of coming through with a result.
I think people are sleeping on Portugal tbh.

Ronaldo, Bruno, Dias, Bernardo, Cancelo, Jota, Felix et al. They have an incredibly strong team going into this tournament.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think people are sleeping on Portugal tbh.

Ronaldo, Bruno, Dias, Bernardo, Cancelo, Jota, Felix et al. They have an incredibly strong team going into this tournament.
They had the same in the Euros. If they had a good manager, they could be the favourites. They don't, so it'll hold them back, just like with France and England. Germany, Spain and Netherlands will be the 3 most impressive teams due to their coaches.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They had the same in the Euros. If they had a good manager, they could be the favourites. They don't, so it'll hold them back, just like with France and England. Germany, Spain and Netherlands will be the 3 most impressive teams due to their coaches.
Wot? No we won't, only our defense and Frenkie de Jong are really good. The rest of our midfield and attack are average at best. Ok, maybe not average if you see how many semi pro countries are in the world cup now, but Bergwijn, Berghuis and Memphis Depay are not scaring any of the big countries. Portugal, France, England and Brazil are all clearly better than us.
Though actually, Im not sure about Brazil at the moment.

Darkhorsez

Ok - not sure why people keep saying that England have the easiest group! Group B will likely have the highest average world ranking! Teams have fought hard to get there and no game will be easy And no team will be a walkover. Iran will draw with England and beat USA - not sure on the other game though :D Hope England and Iran progress to the next phase!

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Granted but I think a few of their players are playing at a higher level than they were last season. Jota, Bernardo and Cancelo in particular have been outstanding this year.

RedDevilMachine

It's strange how Uruguay always seem to struggle against Japan and Korea considering you've beaten far strong teams like Portugal. Japan and Korea tend to do well against South American teams.

flontiestacks

Supports
Ajax
Apparently Netherlands-Senegal will be the opening game? Very weird.