2022 World Cup Qatar thread

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Surely you'd think the ref would cotton on after Alves's 5th injury of the game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Alisson's been sent off before the penalty for what I presume is dissent :lol:

Overturned again, has any player ever survived 2 red cards? :lol:

joedirt87

Conmebol qualifying and Copa America are always a reminder that refereeing can be far worse than the Prem and UEFA.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
The diving and shithousing in 20 minutes of Paraguay/Uruguay has already been top, top notch. :drool:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Despite his age, I'm glad Godin is no longer at Atletico give our tie.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I applied for tickets and then I realised that I’ll get my cock chopped off for being drunk in public - which is an absolute fecking certainty.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Mental game, Brazil have more lives than a cat, Allison especially.

No idea if a one off, but Plata looks a prospect.
Plata has been a prospect far too long actually. I don't follow the ins and outs but must have attitude/discipline issues or else I don't get it because the raw talent has been evident for 3-4 years now.

LDUred

Plata's performance was really exciting.

What is it about South Americans and their ability to dribble around an entire team. Just magical ball control.

Pintu

Chile climbing back to top 5 and a potential WC qualification thanks to A Sanchez.

antohan

Pellistri just waltzed past the entire Venezuelan defence and cut back for a tap in.

2-0

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't realise Venezuela have Pekerman as coach now.

This qualification campaign has been a bit of a mess for them with key players injured and their defensive options are pretty poor as seen tonight but so much potential in attack with likes of Marchis and Soteldo.

Hopefully can regroup and have a decent go at getting perhaps play off spot for 2026 as assume SA will get extra place and it will go down to 6th.

Going to be tight between Peru and Uruguay for last automatic spot....haven't had an Australia-Uruguay play off for a while have we..... :D

antohan

Going to be tight between Peru and Uruguay for last automatic spot....haven't had an Australia-Uruguay play off for a while have we..... :D
Aww feck off, is it with Australia?

We have a six-pointer vs Peru, fingers-crossed that gets us over the line. Will likely go to the wire though.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Aww feck off, is it with Australia?

We have a six-pointer vs Peru, fingers-crossed that gets us over the line. Will likely go to the wire though.
Yeah Commebol has Asia in play off.

Australia 3 points off Japan who are 2nd in their group and they play them at home and then Saudi Arabia away while Japan finish with Vietnam at home so think they're going in play offs v UAE.

Australia team is nowhere near what it was in the 2000s so I think you'd win comfortably at the Centenario in any case but just needs Recoba to pop up in the media again and that should be one goal to Australia at least. :lol:

antohan

Yeah Commebol has Asia in play off.

Australia 3 points off Japan who are 2nd in their group and they play them at home and then Saudi Arabia away while Japan finish with Vietnam at home so think they're going in play offs v UAE.

Australia team is nowhere near what it was in the 2000s so I think you'd win comfortably at the Centenario in any case but just needs Recoba to pop up in the media again and that should be one goal to Australia at least. :lol:
Let's hope we avoid that altogether. Certainly prefer Australia to Japan... but we need to make sure we are not out before that :lol:

We got screwed when the first round vs Paraguay and Venezuela was brought forward to June (exhausted key players, cue two goalless draws).

Had they kept the original fixture order (Arg and Bra, lost either way) we would be laughing on 26 points or so.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Sad to see both Colombia and Chile will potentially be absent in Qatar. Even if they got their on merit, Ecuador and Peru just don't give off the same vibe.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Sad to see both Colombia and Chile will potentially be absent in Qatar. Even if they got their on merit, Ecuador and Peru just don't give off the same vibe.
Colombia is washed up, Falcao is old and James is playing in Saudi Arabia, their only reliable player is 33 years old Cuadrado, the Liverpool dude is still too young to lead this team.
Yes, Colombia is mostly out, they need to win their two remaining games and wait for other results, seems pretty much over.

Alexis and Vidal are old as well, and the new players that Chile has incorpored seems very meh.

Chile still have chances, but they are minimal, they need to fluke a draw in Brazil and beat Uruguay away...not impossible, but very hard.

Neither Ecuador or Peru have any outstanding player, but they do look better as a team.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
My Mexican friends and I agree that this is the worst Mexican NT that we have seen in our lifetimes. They are absolutely garbage, need huge slices of luck to win these qualifying games in a poor confederation, and never thought that Martino was a good choice as head coach at all. And players like Guardado and Herrera have stopped delivering for the team.

I know that when it comes to the World Cup draw, the top seeds still wouldn't want Mexico in their group, given their track-record of notable group stage wins and reaching the last 16. Germany not having a clue how to deal with Mexico and Osorio's 'mad scientist' tactics in 2018 was a lot of fun. But they have gone into previous World Cups with better squads, and they need to drastically improve to be competitive this time.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
So FIFA has announced that Russia will be allowed to play the playoffs on neutral ground, using the term "Football Union Of Russia".

Poland, Sweden and the Czech Republic have already announced that they will boycott any matches against Russia. That would mean that Russia makes it to the World Cup by default.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone at the World Cup did the same and the entire tournament ended up as a joke? The Winter World Cup in Qatar, won by Russia because everybody refused to play against them, that would send quite a message.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
So FIFA has announced that Russia will be allowed to play the playoffs on neutral ground, using the term "Football Union Of Russia".

Poland, Sweden and the Czech Republic have already announced that they will boycott any matches against Russia. That would mean that Russia makes it to the World Cup by default.

Wouldn't it be great if everyone at the World Cup did the same and the entire tournament ended up as a joke? The Winter World Cup in Qatar, won by Russia because everybody refused to play against them, that would send quite a message.
Why athletes should be punished for politicians actions?

Did british and american athletes get banned from international sport competitions when UK and Unite States were bombing kids the Iraq, Lybia, Afghanistan, etc?

Why are israeli athletes allowed at Olympic games while Israel government destroy palestinian homes?

norm87cro

Why athletes should be punished for politicians actions?

Did british and american athletes get banned from international sport competitions when UK and Unite States were bombing kids the Iraq, Lybia, Afghanistan, etc?

Why are israeli athletes allowed at Olympic games while Israel government destroy palestinian homes?
You are spot on. Hipocrisy can be never ending. Making financial sanctions twowards Russia is one thing but punishing a group of athletes from competing ( for their country with no or little profit) is another

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
I really don't expect much people attending WC2022.

Set in November - December interfering with world football leagues, located in a desert, commodities being too expensive, too far, not in a Western location, highly unpopular due to Human Rights/LGTB/Women rights, Arab speaking and culture...

Aside from that, I see too many prejudices and xenophobia against Arab culture. Combining all these factors - at least in the organization perspective - I don't expect it to be a good WC and just another sportswashing from Qatar.