21million for Benzema - United rumoured to offer

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article3383049.ece

From The Sunday TimesFebruary 17, 2008

Ferguson savours current vintage as he looks to future:

The Man Utd boss has expressed a keen interest in two of the Lyons players his side will face at the Stade Gerland on WednesdayJonathan Northcroft

THE COMPANY was good and food “terrific” but the vintage is what was most savoured by Sir Alex Ferguson. Not wine � though that, too, was special � but the intoxicant Ferguson enjoys above others. Young football talent. It always makes him giddy. Now Ferguson has seen for himself the latest prodigies to emerge from Lyons, he is both cautious and covetous. Manchester United must beware Karim Benzema and Hatem Ben Arfa on Wednesday. Longer term, they may buy at least one.

It is rare Ferguson admits anything regarding his transfer objectives, but he cannot help conceding Benzema interests him. The 20-year-old, either “the new Zidane”, “new Platini” or “new Henry”, depending on who is cooing about him, is seen as the striker United need to complete their attack. Ferguson was in the Stade Gerland last Saturday to see Benzema score his 25th goal of the season and play with the strength, speed and two-footed versatility that has every major club in Europe making inquiries. The man fielding them is Lyons’s savvy president, Jean-Michel Aulas, who never gets less than top euro when he sells a player and though United are already rumoured to have offered £21m, Aulas prices Benzema close to £30m.

Ferguson was Aulas’s guest, at a game won 4-1 by Lyons, top of the league and chasing their seventh consecutive French championship. “The president’s hospitality was wonderful, the food was terrific, the wine even better,” said Ferguson. “We never discussed any footballers.” He owned up, though, to the fact that Benzema is “a possibility” � short of an actual bid, as strong a declaration he wants a player that Ferguson will ever make. “It [striker] is an area we tried to strengthen last summer and I don’t think that’s left us. I have big hopes for [Danny] Welbeck and he’s progressing well but he’s young. And we have [Frazier] Campbell coming back who has done well at Hull, but he’s young as well,” said Ferguson. “Benzema is only 20 and Ben Arfa is also 20. Lyons produce young players and Benzema is a local boy, which I’m sure gives them pride.”

Ben Arfa, a subtle left-winger of French-Tunisian extraction, is also linked with United but Benzema is more a priority. He is another of north African descent, one of nine children born to Algerian immigrants who settled in the tough Lyons neighbourhood of Bron. In October, Benzema scored at the Gerland in front of another admirer, Arsène Wenger, and Arsenal are also thought to want him, but so are Real Madrid, Milan, Barcelona and Chelsea. Benzema has said “Milan are my dream club” but he is polite and he was speaking to Gazetta Dello Sport. He added: “I also like the big squads such as Juventus, Inter Milan and Manchester United.”

Benzema has promised not to leave Lyons until they are European champions. “I believe we are going to win the Champions League this year. Against Manchester United we have to be able to handle the pressure and keep a clean sheet. It’s doable,” he said. His self-belief is natural, for excellence comes so easily to him. On his Lyons debut, aged 17, he created a goal with his first touch and on his France debut required eight minutes to score his first international goal. He is contracted until 2012 but Aulas is king of an auction. He said last week he would sell Benzema or Ben Arfa to United, but only one of them, and only for Cristiano Ronaldo plus cash.

“The president is a very clever man. He’s so clever he can sell midfield players for £20m. That’s amazing,” Ferguson said, referring to the hard bargain Aulas drove when Real Madrid bought Mahamadou Diarra in 2006. “That [Jeremy] Toulalan he bought from Nantes just sits and does the same job Diarra did. When they sold Michael Essien [to Chelsea, for £24.4m], they took Tiago then sold Tiago to Juventus for £6m. Eric Abidal, £10m for a left back [when he moved to Barcelona]. They’re a well-run club.

“It won’t be an easy game but the tie will be decided at Old Trafford in the second leg,” said Ferguson, likely to give Ryan Giggs his 100th Champions League outing.

One reason for wanting Benzema is United’s reliance on Rooney. All five of this season’s defeats came when Rooney was not playing. “He’s an important player. He’s different from everybody else. I remember coming here and they said United couldn’t win without Bryan Robson and it became a sort of paranoia around the team. It’s the same today. You can win without Wayne, given our squad, but if he’d played in those games we lost I don’t think we’d have lost,” said Ferguson. “It’s not coincidental but you can’t allow that to be cast in stone.”

REd FUn DevIl

Lets evaluate him on the two legs. He looks class but i still wanna see him against us.

20 millions is too much anyway.

Bape

Lets evaluate him on the two legs. He looks class but i still wanna see him against us.

I don't think 20 millions is too much for such a young, talented player with so much potential. Theres every reason to believe he'll be a world class player in a few years time. We payed £27m for Rooney, we will probably have to pay around that much for Benzema if we want to sign him.

I hope we sign him, but wouldnt be the end of the world if we didnt. We do need a new striker next season Benzema or not though.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If he does well against us then there's a good chance we'll go for him in the summer. Fergie always seems to like to buy people who impressed against us.

RUnited

Gold Member
If he does well against us then there's a good chance we'll go for him in the summer. Fergie always seems to like to buy people who impressed against us.
i'd like to buy players who can impress over vidic/ferdinand too. that's the best test you can give any players who want to be world class.

Eriku

iiii!

I don't want to see United bidding for the player that threw them out of the ECL this summer ;)

Alex

Probably will be signed for around 30 million, if he plays well against United, hopefully not too well though

AttackingFlair

i'd like to buy players who can impress over vidic/ferdinand too. that's the best test you can give any players who want to be world class.
Agreed, Torres couldn't impress so it should take a huge performance unless they just have a bad day (City).

Kelvin

Benzema: I will snub United

Manchester United's hopes of signing Lyon striker Karim Benzema - a target for Arsenal and Liverpool - could be dead in the water.
The star striker helped knock Rangers out of the Champions League and is widely considered to be one of the most sought after marksmen in Europe.

Benzema has been linked with a £20m move to Old Trafford but the News of the World claims Benzema will turn down any chance to join the Premier League champions.

The news will come as a blow to Sir Alex Ferguson who needs a striker to help take the burden off Wayne Rooney.

Long-term injury victim Louis Saha continues to struggle and Carlos Tevez has little experience of European football.

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/Benzema-I-will-snub-United.3786306.jp

:yawn:

Merman

Benzema: I will snub United

Manchester United's hopes of signing Lyon striker Karim Benzema - a target for Arsenal and Liverpool - could be dead in the water.
The star striker helped knock Rangers out of the Champions League and is widely considered to be one of the most sought after marksmen in Europe.

Benzema has been linked with a £20m move to Old Trafford but the News of the World claims Benzema will turn down any chance to join the Premier League champions.

The news will come as a blow to Sir Alex Ferguson who needs a striker to help take the burden off Wayne Rooney.

Long-term injury victim Louis Saha continues to struggle and Carlos Tevez has little experience of European football.

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/Benzema-I-will-snub-United.3786306.jp

:yawn:
Thats true though. He didn't play in many champions league matches.

francobaresi

Not really. Not when you look what we paid for Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson

It's the going rate for top class young talent

Hoof the ball

How much football has anyone really seen Benzema play to justify a tag of 20 million?

I don't watch a whole lot of French Football, although, I do tune in to the occasional Olympique Lyonnais match every now and again and from what I've seen, the boy is very impressive, however, I would have to see a lot more to justify the price that is being touted.

With everyone and their pet dog going crazy about this boy at the moment I really think that we should sit and wait on this boy because I remember the exact same thing happening with Djibrel Cisse back when he was at Marseille and United fans reacted in much the same way, and look how he turned out.

There are more viable targets for United at the moment, I believe!

francobaresi

How much football has anyone really seen Benzema play to justify a tag of 20 million?

I don't watch a whole lot of French Football, although, I do tune in to the occasional Olympique Lyonnais match every now and again and from what I've seen, the boy is very impressive, however, I would have to see a lot more to justify the price that is being touted.

With everyone and their pet dog going crazy about this boy at the moment I really think that we should sit and wait on this boy because I remember the exact same thing happening with Djibrel Cisse back when he was at Marseille and United fans reacted in much the same way, and look how he turned out.

:houllier:

How much had you seen of Anderson or Nani before they came?

Exactly

That's why we have scouts

Hoof the ball

:houllier:

How much had you seen of Anderson or Nani before they came?

Exactly

That's why we have scouts

:houllier: I'm not questioning what our scouts see. I'm questioning the fact that casual football fans are willing to jump on the bandwagon of a player so quickly. It happens all the time. All I'm saying is, as football fans, we should have some degree of scepticism and constructive analysis of our own before we lunge in with opinions on a players ability. If you happen to watch a player on a very regular basis, much like a Scout would, then fair enough, but this one is out there to the people that catch the odd game and then are convinced that he's the real deal. Do you see my point, now?

As for Anderson and Nani. Actually, I did watch a lot of Nani and Anderson before they joined United, however, I didn't make any commitments on them simply because, like many players, I had no idea as to how good they would become, hence why it falls to Scouts to determine whether a player is deemed of worthy for a team and not the average fan. If it were the case of the average fan, then we'd be in a precarious position because half of the recommendations in the past 5 years from us here at Redcafe have turned out to be underachievers or one season wonders.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
From what i've seen he looks very good. He gives me the same wow factor as Torres did when I first saw him.

However, I'll let fergie decide if he's worth 20+ million. We/fans can put a value on established players, Berbatov etc...but what do we honestly know about an up and coming players true value?

IhabX7

I've watched him a lot and Im convinced he's worth 20mil in today's transfer standards.

Drifter

American
Benzema Quotes:

“A move to United wouldn’t be right for me at this time," said Benzema.

"I have said I wouldn’t leave Lyon until we’ve won the Champions League and I have no intention of trying to go too quickly.”
THE END

Skholesy

Thats why we never went for cisse!! But look at drogba and adebayor!

Think its important to see if a player is just flavour of the month, or top class permanently, ie:

Cisse v Drogba/Adebayor
Ruud v Shuyt/Kezman

Mainoldo

True he can't judge him only on his performances against us, not many come ontop against Rio and Vidz. As far as his evaluation goes.. If he cost anything less than £20m i would have said we got ourselves a bargin, but lyon and Bargin don't go together in the same sentance.

redender

Wannabe Manc
True he can't judge him only on his performances against us, not many come ontop against Rio and Vidz. As far as his evaluation goes.. If he cost anything less than £20m i would have said we got ourselves a bargin, but lyon and Bargin don't go together in the same sentance.
I don't normally buy into this transfer speculation, but Benzema is a player who excites me.

I think with add-ons etc you would be looking at the best part of £30m. For a 20 year old its alot of money, but there's the potential for him to play 12 years at the very highest level.

Bape

That's a fair point. I havent seem Benzema too much, but have seen enough of him to recognise what a talent he is. I'm not sure there are more viable targets out there though, who are you referring to?

redender

Wannabe Manc

Did Anderson justify his price tag when we signed him? Even though it is looking ever more like money well spent.

Ekeke

He scores all kinds of goals and he has a lot of potential.

But he's being outscored by David Bellion in the French league at the moment, so probably best not to go overboard with £30 million bids this summer. Maybe the next.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
:houllier: I'm not questioning what our scouts see. I'm questioning the fact that casual football fans are willing to jump on the bandwagon of a player so quickly. It happens all the time. All I'm saying is, as football fans, we should have some degree of scepticism and constructive analysis of our own before we lunge in with opinions on a players ability. If you happen to watch a player on a very regular basis, much like a Scout would, then fair enough, but this one is out there to the people that catch the odd game and then are convinced that he's the real deal. Do you see my point, now?
I think in the case of Benzema, you're not being very fair on your felloow supporters.

In SAF I TRUST, and if he is taking the time to visit Lyon the day before a huge city derby match, Munich et al, and then talks about this player like he does, I'm not going to argue!!

If SAF says he's special, he normally is. Anyway, won't have long to have a good look ourselves given we'll see Benzemz play twice in the next few weeks . I guess Vicic & Rio's verdict will be as important as any!

And I would expect that he will cost over 25m which seems to be the going rate nowadays. And this guy plays for the FRENCH champions and is leading league scorer so has some degree of proven ability.

Sam

Benzema set to snub United

Karim Benzema claims he would reject a possible summer move to Manchester United because he wants to win the UEFA Champions League with Lyon.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been linked with a bid for the French international striker at the end of the season as he bids to bolster his attacking ranks.

Ferguson currently has limited attacking options with only Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez and Louis Saha recognised as experienced strikers in the United squad.

And Ferguson - who has also been linked with a move for Benzema's Lyon team-mate Hatem Ben Arfa - is understood to be on the look-out for attacking reinforcements.

However, Benzema - who is the current top scorer in Ligue 1 with 16 goals - insists he would snub any possible switch to Old Trafford.

"A move to United wouldn't be right for me at this time," Benzema told the News of the World.

"I have said I wouldn't leave Lyon until we've won the Champions League and I have no intention of trying to go too quickly."

Lyon face Untied in the last 16 of this season's Champions League as Ferguson takes his side to the Stade de Gerland for the first leg on Wednesday for a match which can be seen live on Sky Sports 1.

Ferguson was recently spotted at Lyon to watch the match with Sochaux and it was claimed that transfer discussions were held with the French champions' president Jean Aulas.

However Ferguson insists it was simply a scouting mission ahead of next week's Champions League clash.

"The hospitality at Lyon was excellent - particularly the wine," Ferguson added in the Daily Star. "But I'm sure we did not discuss any players."

Hoof the ball

Did Anderson justify his price tag when we signed him? Even though it is looking ever more like money well spent.
Read my post shortly after the one you quoted and you will find that I said that I had seen a lot of Nani and Anderson, however, I did not make any committments because I never knew how good these guys would become.
I think you're missing my point. I'm not questioning United's Scouting. I'm just pointing out there although a few people regularly watch these players, a lot of people just jump on the bandwagon after watching fecking Eurogoals on Eurosport once a week. It's the TV equivalent of Youtube!

Hoof the ball

I think in the case of Benzema, you're not being very fair on your felloow supporters.

In SAF I TRUST, and if he is taking the time to visit Lyon the day before a huge city derby match, Munich et al, and then talks about this player like he does, I'm not going to argue!!

If SAF says he's special, he normally is. Anyway, won't have long to have a good look ourselves given we'll see Benzemz play twice in the next few weeks . I guess Vicic & Rio's verdict will be as important as any!

And I would expect that he will cost over 25m which seems to be the going rate nowadays. And this guy plays for the FRENCH champions and is leading league scorer so has some degree of proven ability.
Again, No one is questioning what Fergie knows or believes about the player. If he goes in for him, I will just assume and rather blindly at that, that it is the right thing by the team, because I trust Fergie's judgement. Am I not being clear enough here, people. To put it simply, to those that have watched Benzema more than a dozen times, I'll concede that your opinion is valid on the basis of extended analysis of the player. For those whom have only seen him a handful of times and yet build up the player. These people are merely going on what others may have told them.

redender

Wannabe Manc
Read my post shortly after the one you quoted and you will find that I said that I had seen a lot of Nani and Anderson, however, I did not make any committments because I never knew how good these guys would become.
I think you're missing my point. I'm not questioning United's Scouting. I'm just pointing out there although a few people regularly watch these players, a lot of people just jump on the bandwagon after watching fecking Eurogoals on Eurosport once a week. It's the TV equivalent of Youtube!
O.k, I take your point about people jumping on the bandwagon having not seen him play.

The very fact that the best managers in the World are waxing lyrical about the boy at 20, and the fact that he's already accrued 25 goals this season is reason enough for people to be excited. I think those out there who are drawing comparisons to Djibril Cisse will be extremely disappointed in seasons to come.

Mainoldo

SO! It helps with your FM scouting. :smirk: