3-5-2 formation this season for United?

The United

Correct.

In truth there was relatively little need to play 3-5-2 yesterday. We could have played 4-2-3-1 and got the same result.

People are acting like playing 4-2-3-1 is an 'open' formation. The fact its Jose Mourinho's default setting should be a sign its not.

We went to City in March, this year, playing 4-2-3-1 and won. That was possible because, as you point out, we were compact, sat relatively deep and used counter attacks.

There was no reason for Ole to instruct the team to try and press and play on the front foot. That is what created our issues, not the formation.

We played Liverpool 4-2-3-1 when we drew with them at Anfield and beat them in the FA Cup in January. Neither time did we look like getting pulverised. That's because, in those games, Ole was smart enough not to try and go toe-to-toe with them and to play on the break. Maybe he got giddy when we signed Ronaldo but, until yesterday, it felt like he'd forgotten that he's a counterattacking manager with a counterattacking squad.

Whether we stick with 3-5-2 or go back to 4-2-3-1, or 4-4-2 diamond or any of the other formations Ole's used, as long as we're compact when we lose the ball we should be fine most weeks.
He played 3 5 2 to give the defenders a moral boost and to send a message to his wide forwards to work better for the defensive duties which has been a real issue for us lately.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why do people put Shaw as an option for one of the outside centre backs but not Wan Bissaka?
Surely WB would be ideal in that position instead of as a wing back?
Or is it the sheer lack of right wing back options if not him?
Wan Bissaka's positioning and anticipation are bad, he has the ability to tackle and sometimes recover but his defensive qualities aren't ideal for a CB.

The United

Why do people put Shaw as an option for one of the outside centre backs but not Wan Bissaka?
AWB's positioning/tracking needs (or used to) some works even as a RB. Outside CB might not suit him much at the moment. Imagine if he goes to ground as one and fails? Plus those needs to be really good with ball playing.

Marwood

Not making effective use of Greenwood, Rashford and Sancho is a sackable offence in itself yet some are actually pleased with this plan going forward.
Depends on the context. Like who those three are competing with.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You are seriously not comparing AWB and Shaw, are you? Shaw is positionally decent and good in air . AWB is quite bad in air and horrible positionally.

sp_107

I think 3-4-3 suits us better. Don't then have to leave out all of Sancho/Rashford/Greenwood. Bruno would have to play as one of the two midfielders but with the protection of the 3 cb's and in majority of games, teams sitting back against us, should be fine...

De Gea

Maguire Varane Shaw

AWB Bruno Mctominay/Fred Telles

Sancho Cavani/Ronaldo Rashford

Then can rotate the two in midfield with Pogba, Matic or VdB and Greenwood for Sancho/Rashford.
I like this

NZT-One

He played 3 5 2 to give the defenders a moral boost and to send a message to his wide forwards to work better for the defensive duties which has been a real issue for us lately.
Is that you having talked to him in today or yesterday or is it something that just sounded plausible to you?

AussieRedDevil84

Hey guys, I’m a football noob so please don’t jump on me too much if I say something that sounds stupid. I was thinking about the formation against Spurs though, and Ole seemed to like the three-man defense and having the two strikers, but the big question mark was over how we would fit wingers like Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, etc into the lineup. That got me wondering about how a 3-2-3-2 formation would work with this team? You keep the three backs, have two more defensive mids in front of them, then Bruno flanked by two wide mids/wings and you keep the twin strikers thing. What do you guys think? Also, if it’s a stupid idea, please explain it to me rather than jumping on me about it.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Hey guys, I’m a football noob so please don’t jump on me too much if I say something that sounds stupid. I was thinking about the formation against Spurs though, and Ole seemed to like the three-man defense and having the two strikers, but the big question mark was over how we would fit wingers like Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, etc into the lineup. That got me wondering about how a 3-2-3-2 formation would work with this team? You keep the three backs, have two more defensive mids in front of them, then Bruno flanked by two wide mids/wings and you keep the twin strikers thing. What do you guys think? Also, if it’s a stupid idea, please explain it to me rather than jumping on me about it.
If my understanding of your suggestion is correct basically what you're suggesting replacing wingbacks (Shaw, Wan Bissaka) with Greenwood, Rashford or Sancho.

It's only possible if we're losing and chasing a game.

Last edited:

NZT-One

Against the ball, your formation would maybe struggle for width due to not having wingbacks (which often are part of 3-at-the-back systems) nor fullbacks (part of 5-at-the-back systems). That would mean, either the centerbacks would have to go further out or the defensive mids. So the defensive stability you are using the 3 cb's plus 2 dm's for, would just vanish.
Attacking that might be a working solution, very attacking though. As our "wing"players are mostly strikers the natural wingplay (tracking back, helping out) isn't ingrained in them (why we struggled quite a bit this season).

Additionally it would create pretty deep distinction between attack and defense, 5 players there, 5 players there. Modern football doesn't work with that sort of fixed roles but is dynamic. Bringing as many attackers in as possible in a certain situation while staying defensively robust.

Edit: Welcome to the redcafe!

Last edited:

Ixion

Depends on the context. Like who those three are competing with.
If Jose benched those players for a 32 and 36 year old who might only be around 1 season I doubt you'd be OK with it

Marwood

If Jose benched those players for a 32 and 36 year old who might only be around 1 season I doubt you'd be OK with it
I've seen this a lot, somehow Jose being dragged into it. I don't get it.

It depends who the 32 and 36 year olds are and how they're playing.

Is there really a compelling argument to drop Ronaldo for any of Greenwood, Sancho or Rashford? I don't think so.

Ixion

I've seen this a lot, somehow Jose being dragged into it. I don't get it.

It depends who the 32 and 36 year olds are and how they're playing.

Is there really a compelling argument to drop Ronaldo for any of Greenwood, Sancho or Rashford? I don't think so.
Did you see his performances from the West Ham game to the Spurs one?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Hmm. Let me see.

Option 1) Keep a 4231, play the prospects, lose games and see Ole sacked.

Option 2) Play a 532, get results, play two world class forwards and Ole mabye keep his job for a little while longer.

I chose option 2. The prospects will still get game time but Ole needs to play his best players and, as good as they are, the prospects are not as good as Ronaldo and Cavani.
I want us to win but win in style. If Ole can’t deliver that we would at least be getting a boring bastard that can actually win things like Conte in (who I don’t want). If Ole was a better manager he wouldn’t find it that hard to find a place for a Greenwood or Sancho.
This is not a serious comment.

What was not "style" about the win yesterday? Three world class goals, clean sheet. Doesn't matter how many times somebody says "Spurs are shit", we have lost to shittier teams and Spurs being shit or not didn't make the three goals scored any less world class. First goal, second goal especially - they will penetrate any team from City, to Pools, to Bayern to whomever. Those were not goals you only score against shit teams. So enough of this nonsense, please

NewGlory

3-5-2 can be a 3-4-1 2 , 3-4-2-1 and 3-4-3. We have enough variations to use our many attackers as we see fit
100%

It is clear that with the current squad, back 3 is our game, we can vary things in front of them, but we cannot play 2CBs until we have different players or a different manager. Just a fact

NewGlory

So you'd drop Ronaldo for Rashford?
When game or form of either of them requires it - yes we should.

There should never be anybody who cannot be dropped, especially a 36-year old player, even the GOAT like Ronaldo. Club and winning comes first. End of story. Our manager needs to grow some balls and stop being afraid to drop certain players

Ixion

So you'd drop Ronaldo for Rashford?
Well Cavani has 1 goal in 7, Ronaldo has 3 in his past 7, Rashford has 3 in 4....

Your argument that none of the young players deserve to start, haven't done enough, is blatantly wrong. Rashford has done amazingly since his return and normally Manchester United fans wouldn't be happy to see a young player doing well benched for a couple of older players. Jose would have been hung for it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

There should never be anybody who cannot be dropped, especially a 36-year old player, even the GOAT like Ronaldo. Club and winning comes first. End of story. Our manager needs to grow some balls and stop being afraid to drop certain players
As long as we won't play current state Martial much, we have a pleasant problem to deal with.

Overplaying Rashford was also negative factor in his development, so rotation is good, in fact it will help everyone during multiple competitions.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I wouldn't read too much into yesterday's formation. It was against a very poor Spurs team who did not have decent wide players or full-backs to take advantage of our system.

For the system to work on a permanent basis the squad needs to be overhauled to play the system at a high level. We'd need quality attacking wing-backs and plenty of pace on the counter. The 2 sitting midfielders also need to be very aware and disciplined to cover any space vacated by the wing-backs which we don't have at the moment.

NewGlory

As long as we won't play current state Martial much, we have a pleasant problem to deal with.

Overplaying Rashford was also negative factor in his development, so rotation is good, in fact it will help everyone during multiple competitions.
Totally agree. On top of rotation, some healthy competition for starting positions is an important part of modern game. The whole notion of "best starting 11 and play them every game" that some pundits are pedaling is totally archaic approach of dinosaur tacticians. I love Bruno with all my heart, but he shouldn't be starting every single game, either. It is obvious that he is not always top of his game, and in some formations (e.g. 3-4-3) we should rest him and put more emphasis on Sancho, DvB (I know he is done, but just saying) etc.

Also we need to stop playing Greenwood on the right. He is not a natural wide forward and always wanders into the center. Also, he has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be an understudy of Ronaldo and Cavani for a world-class #9. They will only be here for very short time. Have him study under them, bring Mason on as #9 as sub or in some games, and then he has the rest of his career to excel.

Last edited:

The United

Depends. Are you going to give me a trick answer?

Your statement sounded so sincere and I was wondering where you took that from? (I am still learning the craft around here :) )
It is of course plausible statement.

I mean I hate to put words like IMO, I think, I believe, I reckon etc. Since, everything we write here is all those.

I made those statements for a few reasons.

1). The defense is leaking and the coaching team couldn't figure out so they went back to very basic stuff.
2). The squad have tons of attacking players to use this as a long term default formation.
3). As many observed and Ole said, that our forwards work rates are shocking so it is a warning to them that they have to work harder to get in the team.
4). And no manager would drop Ronaldo.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well Cavani has 1 goal in 7, Ronaldo has 3 in his past 7, Rashford has 3 in 4....

Your argument that none of the young players deserve to start, haven't done enough, is blatantly wrong. Rashford has done amazingly since his return and normally Manchester United fans wouldn't be happy to see a young player doing well benched for a couple of older players. Jose would have been hung for it.
Ronaldo has 7 in his past 10 this season. Why count those out?

Marwood

Yeah agree in theory, nobody should be guaranteed a starting spot.

But right now Ole is gettinh criticised for dropping the younger lads for the older lads.

So the question is right now, would you drop Ronaldo?

Why can't you answer the question about dropping Ronaldo? Let's try again. Would you drop Ronaldo for Rashford, Greenwood or Sancho right now?

This is the thing. You can't be criticising Ole for playing the older guys if you yourself can't explain which of Ronaldo or Cavani should be dropped for the younger lads. If you won't commit to answer on an Internet forum I think it's a bit rich to criticise Ole.

bonothom

Sancho at right wing back. Wan Bissaka as right centre back instead of Lindelof. Shaw left wing back. VDB alongside Mctominay or Fred.

NoLogo

I personally quite like the 3 defender formations. We need to be tactically flexible though and be able to not just play 3-4-1-2 but also 3-4-2-1 and 343.

I already described why I feel that essentially the 3 defenders is more suited to the modern game than the 4 defender formations because you have someone specifically guarding the half spaces while not exposing the wide areas too much and crossing should in theory be way less effective against 3 tall players at the back than just two. In an attacking manner, it also gives you between 5-6 players in midfield, thus never being outnumbered by a 4 at the back formation in that regard.

Another point needs to be made about us being able to not just play these formations on the counter-attack like we did against spurs, we also need to be able to dominate possession and have players who can make the runs from deep into dangerous areas. If we just end up passing the ball around between our 3 defenders, we'll look just as blunt against deeper opponents as we do with other formations.

OrcaFat

100%

It is clear that with the current squad, back 3 is our game, we can vary things in front of them, but we cannot play 2CBs until we have different players or a different manager. Just a fact
I don’t think so. We had a very good defensive record for a very long time playing 4231.

Provided Varane and Maguire are both properly fit, they are fine as a two. The midfield is an issue, yes, and if we don’t have our best two CBs in good form, 4231 leaves us a bit exposed at times. The defensive solidity we’re looking for is more about getting the discipline and shape right - both badly lacking v Liv which was a real tactical blunder but not necessarily the formation.

I am pretty sure that 352 was designed to focus the team on not conceding any goals. Away to Spurs, 1-0 win or even 0-0 would probably have been acceptable to the coaches. This was a crisis measure to stop the rot. We’ll play 352 a few more times but then it will be put on the back burner.

Ixion

Ronaldo has 7 in his past 10 this season. Why count those out?
I'm talking about current form. Rashford has more in the past 4 than Ronaldo or Cavani.
Why can't you answer the question about dropping Ronaldo? Let's try again. Would you drop Ronaldo for Rashford, Greenwood or Sancho right now?

This is the thing. You can't be criticising Ole for playing the older guys if you yourself can't explain which of Ronaldo or Cavani should be dropped for the younger lads. If you won't commit to answer on an Internet forum I think it's a bit rich to criticise Ole.
I said multiple times before yesterday's game Ronaldo, Fernandes, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, and Greenwood should all be dropped. Players should be picked on form and they had been dreadful.

NoLogo

Sancho at right wing back. Wan Bissaka as right centre back instead of Lindelof. Shaw left wing back. VDB alongside Mctominay or Fred.
I agree with Sancho but not with AWB, his passing is simply too bad and with 3 CBs you need to have players who can actually pass a ball. I think I would even prefer McT in the right CB spot instead of AWB.

NZT-One

It is of course plausible statement.

I mean I hate to put words like IMO, I think, I believe, I reckon etc. Since, everything we write here is all those.

I made those statements for a few reasons.

1). The defense is leaking and the coaching team couldn't figure out so they went back to very basic stuff.
2). The squad have tons of attacking players to use this as a long term default formation.
3). As many observed and Ole said, that our forwards work rates are shocking so it is a warning to them that they have to work harder to get in the team.
4). And no manager would drop Ronaldo.
Thanks for answering. Got it. I'd prefer using these words into it because I often don't know, if I missed an interview or something or if am just reading the opinions of a confident person ^^ But in these cases I will continue to ask.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm talking about current form. Rashford has more in the past 4 than Ronaldo or Cavani.

I said multiple times before yesterday's game Ronaldo, Fernandes, Maguire, Shaw, Fred, and Greenwood should all be dropped. Players should be picked on form and they had been dreadful.
But those are his current form too, just 1 month ago. You can't have comparison based on few weeks (few games) interval, it leads to nowhere.

Marwood

Ronaldo scored and assisted yesterday. Bruno assisted, played a big role in the second. So I'm really glad Ole picked them and Cavani.

I really don't get watching the Spurs game and complaining Ronaldo, Cavani and Bruno played. Makes zero sense to me.