Television 3 Body Problem

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yea i thought it was good. Casting is poor as is the cinematography. Plus the fact that the best scientists in the planet all seem to be friends - too much of a coincidence for me.

Id watch season 2 but i doubt netflix will renew.

Fridge chutney

I thought that Da Shi and Ye Wenjie were well cast. Auggie is dreadful on all levels, but she doesn't exist in the book.

Much of the storyline remains true to the book. But i feel like the show is rushed and lazy in explaining the sci-fi concepts the books put so much emphasis on.

My reco: read the books. They are superior.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
They shouldnt have split the one character into the five oxford "geniuses."

Wing Attack Plan R

Yea i thought it was good. Casting is poor as is the cinematography. Plus the fact that the best scientists in the planet all seem to be friends - too much of a coincidence for me.

Id watch season 2 but i doubt netflix will renew.
Netflix are in a real pickle over this. They released this to huge fanfare, and it was supposed to be the prestige show that kept subscribers and earned them new ones. It's at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, so most of the "critics" like it. Season 2 and later production costs will snowball. Is it worth $200 million to continue this? 8 episodes at roughly $25 million apiece is astounding price tag. will they see it through to the end or cut their losses, or farm it out to someone else and finish it on the cheap?

I felt like I was doing homework getting to the end of Season 1, and I won't be watching Season 2 unless people are saying it's blowing the roof off the joint. I think this could have been a great series, if the Fallout team had done it. It just looks and sounds so stupid. It's not a total disaster, but it is about what you get on the SyFy Channel.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Netflix are in a real pickle over this. They released this to huge fanfare, and it was supposed to be the prestige show that kept subscribers and earned them new ones. It's at 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, so most of the "critics" like it. I felt like I was doing homework getting to the end of Season 1, and I won't be watching Season 2 unless people are saying it's blowing the roof off the joint. I think this could have been a great series, if the Fallout team had done it. It just looks and sounds so stupid. It's not a total disaster, but it is about what you get on the SyFy Channel.
Yea i concur. It is not HBO standard.

Wing Attack Plan R

Yea i concur. It is not HBO standard.
If you read the RT reviews, there seems to be a conscious effort to rehabilitate Weiss & Benioff and absolve them of taking a huge, steaming shit on Game Of Thrones. I'm not buying the redemption arc.

The negative reviews always feel more honest, and are more entertaining to read:

"Most of 3 Body Problem’s adaptation choices just feel like failed attempts to spice things up."
"A misfire in every way, 3 Body Problem has some talented actors delivering some memorable moments, but none of it adds up to an experience that is satisfying, fulfilling, or even all that enjoyable."
"Based on the way this season all but runs out of momentum at the finale, its ticking countdown may come to an end sooner than later."
"Netflix's 3 Body Problem plays things too safe, edgy and drab despite the book's wild vision."
"The show should be a celebration, a statement, a home run swing. Instead its style is anonymous, the work of a corporate author rather than an artistic intelligence."
"In the boldest though not best departure from the source material, we’re introduced to a group of young and deeply uninteresting brainiacs known as the “Oxford Five,” who are similarly rocked by anomalies that cast everything they know about physics into question."
"Whatever captivated American readers when the novel was first translated into English in 2014 is barely evident in this ungainly, forgettable TV series."
"This is a story about sacrifice and the ability to be concerned about more than the moment you’re in, and when faced with these kinds of large, ruminative dilemmas... yet somehow 3 Body Problem does not, in any way, feel urgent."
"When a book is deemed “unadaptable”, it is almost interpreted as a challenge. Of course, no book is really unadaptable; the problem is that rendering it on screen will simply be too dull, or confusing. 3 Body Problem is somehow both."
"It’s the equivalent of a cheap house flip, gutting a beautiful midcentury structure and redoing every room in shades of millennial gray."
"A collection of mysteries that, while rarely boring, is too untidy to consistently grip the imagination."
"Most of 3 Body Problem’s adaptation choices just feel like failed attempts to spice things up."
"... A tired, heavy, slow and drawn-out resolution that is finally expressed in three long yawns."
"The background material is weak, and the new ideas are virtually all depressingly familiar."

Bobski

It is like they really wanted some spicy character drama out of their Oxford 5 so decided to give them the maturity level of your average fresher while trying to present them as world leading scientific minds. A really poor fit for the feel of the source material.

Tarrou

I was really stoned when I watched so likely missed something but.....

why did the aliens tip them off about the ships coming and how much time they had? and also admit they expected human tech to surpass it by the time they arrived?

Chumpsbechumps

why did the aliens tip them off about the ships coming and how much time they had? and also admit they expected human tech to surpass it by the time they arrived?
What I find weirder is

Why does everybody trust that the aliens are telling the truth just because they said they can’t lie

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It felt like they jumped the shark a bit with that Panama episode.

Sylar

Because...

The whole concept about them not being able to lie is one thing but they just blurted out the info on their own accord, they weren't asked to the point they couldn't lie. It was bizarre.

I don't think there is any mystery to the show left. The hook for me was the mystery and it was enjoyable the first half but it seems like most of the Q's have been answered. I guess it's the same In the books (maybe not dunno) but there's not much in terms of mystery left.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
It's taken pretty much directly from the books, but they miss out all the explanation (for why they particularly use this method) and there's more build up in the books (naturally) so I'd agree it just all feels a little off.
That's kinda what I thought. It seemed like they ran an incredibly high risk of destroying what they were after, but luckily plot armour saved them.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Because...

The whole concept about them not being able to lie is one thing but they just blurted out the info on their own accord, they weren't asked to the point they couldn't lie. It was bizarre.

I don't think there is any mystery to the show left. The hook for me was the mystery and it was enjoyable the first half but it seems like most of the Q's have been answered. I guess it's the same In the books (maybe not dunno) but there's not much in terms of mystery left.
You have no idea..The first book is just a warmup, things gets really crazy in the next books..

Sylar

You have no idea..The first book is just a warmup, things gets really crazy in the next books..
That's good and promising. Hopefully translates well onto tv and they do a good job adapting it then based on your comment.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I thought it started really well, the middle episodes were intriguing. I even liked the music score.

But after that ship episode it went to shit. I was so bored I almost felt like giving up. I didn't mind Auggie, she's annoying yes but at least she's a looker.

That cancer guy however, feck me what a dullard of a character.

Revan

Assumptionman
I thought the TV show started quite nice, with mystery etc. But the last few episodes were a bit shit. The sixth episode pretty much nothing happened, with just characters having some dialogues written by George Lucas with each other, and then in the seventh and eighth episode they made the plan, which in the end did not work.

I found pretty much all the characters a bit shit. The cancer guy, not sure I understand what was his point, the Asian scientist arc was ok but the actress was bad, Eiza Gonzales' talent is on the looks, but not on acting (and also her arc was shit), and her feckboy did pretty much nothing in the entire show. Samwell Tarly was ok but got chopped too early. I think the only character I liked was the Asian detective from Manchester. But he was more like a Hound/Bronn character that makes funny jokes, which is fine, but still a tertiary character. Oh and I forgot the wooden boyfriend.

Considering that the best part of the story is already been told, I assume it is gonna get worse in the future.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Convinced now game of thrones was a fluke and these 2 are absolute frauds
I suspect the HBO template played a role in its success. HBO have very specific way of filming shows. You could almost watch a series without knowing it was HBO backed and be able to guess it was HBO through the cinematography, casting, story etc.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Because...

I just don't quite buy the idea a super advanced race of beings wouldn't be able to comprehend the idea of lies/deceit. Especially when their own invasion tactics include things like optical illusions and creating false scientific results.

As for the books. The story and vastness of it hasn't gotten started really. The second and third books would be very difficult to adapt and do justice on a netflix budget. They also definitely wouldn't be able to carry on padding it out with teen angsty style drama without straying horribly off path.