3 games spare and CL secured. Well done Mourinho

Canagel

We are Man Utd. Top 4 is the bare minimum. There's nothing to shout about here. Let's finish on a high, win the FA Cup and build towards next season.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
No need for personal insults.

I agree that there’s been progress, but I’d say top 4 is the minimum expectation. We shouldn’t be celebrating that.

:lol:
It's not really personal! I wouldn't be fit to accept him shitting on me either!

The point is, we are mere fans in the football world. We don't know what it is to manage spoilt youngsters who have more money than most can dream of. We don't know how hard it is to get talented individual's to up their game a notch or two or to learn a set of tactics.

Damn we don't even know what it is to try tactics and see them fail, or indeed consider other tactics and see them fail too.

As fans we don't have a clue. But what we can do is either be appreciative for anything positive or expect everything and then spend our lives disappointed.

Jose needs our backing, no one else is jumping out as a candidate that can do what he does.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Especially considering we're only about £150-200m (if that) behind City in terms of net spending since Ferguson retired.

We're back to where we should be. It's par.
"Only".

They also had to replace Rio, Vidic, Rooney Carrick right? No, they spent all that money and the only thing they replaced were full backs and goalkeepers. They added to their already steady core of players with their massive spending. United needed a new one.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Are we still Manchester United? With the backing and resources given, this isn’t anything to be celebrated. No I’m not a spoilt fan, I stick with the club through thick and thin but if we want to get back to the very top we have to have standards that run throughout the the club from the very top down to the bottom. Celebrating a CL spot doesn’t cut it for this club

Ish

Lights on for Luke
It's not really personal! I wouldn't be fit to accept him shitting on me either!

The point is, we are mere fans in the football world. We don't know what it is to manage spoilt youngsters who have more money than most can dream of. We don't know how hard it is to get talented individual's to up their game a notch or two or to learn a set of tactics.

Damn we don't even know what it is to try tactics and see them fail, or indeed consider other tactics and see them fail too.

As fans we don't have a clue. But what we can do is either be appreciative for anything positive or expect everything and then spend our lives disappointed.

Jose needs our backing, no one else is jumping out as a candidate that can do what he does.
Aargh fair enough.

I’m just wary though. This board goes either way - the criticism is either way ott and to refute it, the other half tends to praise Jose for things which should be “expected” imo. The answer or truth always lie somewhere in the middle I suppose.

But yeah, let’s get behind the manager. Especially if he delivers an fa cup as well.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Because we've been incredibly efficient this season and there is a large middle ground between Mourinho not having a clue and being the perfect manager for United... hes done alright, but nothing special. We're 2nd because we have good players and Mourinho has them playing a style whereby having better players will get us the results most of the time. It's a very pragmatic and safe approach, but its Mou. So we are 2nd. But if you want more, if you want to watch entertaining football and see the players play as a team, then I'm not sure we'll get that with Mourinho. Or at least, he has to prove it next season.

Everything we do, we do it by grinding it out. That isnt sustainable imo. We're resilient, yes, and are developing a winning mentality which is critical, but you also need the performances eventually otherwise they'll catch up with you (as they did in the champions league for us).
So who do you think would do a better job? More stylish football while winning trophies, because the former is no good to Manchester United without the latter.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So who do you think would do a better job? More stylish football while winning trophies, because the former is no good to Manchester United without the latter.
See my issue with this argument is that we aren't really winning important trophies now anyway, but playing shit football. So I'd rather play entertaining football consistently then pragmatic football consistently. Plus, it's hardly like the 2 are mutually exclusive? All the best sides play good football too. Liverpool are going to be in a CL final, City made records this season in the prem. Both played brilliant football. So the whole "great football without trophies is pointless" argument doesn't hold. Shit football with no trophies is even worse. At least with good football you have hope that small fixes and a bit of luck can bridge the gap and get that success, rather then needing massive changes to improve.

Mourinho hasnt been shit, I just dont think hes the right manager to have though. Itll always be this. Grinding out results, inconsistent performances, and I'm not sure he can bridge the gap to win the title anymore with us not having that dominance in spending power over everyone else, plus with Pep being in the league too.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
See my issue with this argument is that we aren't really winning important trophies now anyway, but playing shit football. So I'd rather play entertaining football consistently then pragmatic football consistently. Plus, it's hardly like the 2 are mutually exclusive? All the best sides play good football too. Liverpool are going to be in a CL final, City made records this season in the prem. Both played brilliant football. So the whole "great football without trophies is pointless" argument doesn't hold. Shit football with no trophies is even worse. At least with good football you have hope that small fixes and a bit of luck can bridge the gap and get that success, rather then needing massive changes to improve.

Mourinho hasnt been shit, I just dont think hes the right manager to have though. Itll always be this. Grinding out results, inconsistent performances, and I'm not sure he can bridge the gap to win the title anymore with us not having that dominance in spending power over everyone else, plus with Pep being in the league too.
I just don't see who is out there. To be honest Jose is the safe option. The likes of the Monaco/Napoli manager might change our style, but would they cope with the PL. If not we could fall back again. The best options were probably Klopp and Pep and we let them pass us by.

Stretford kev

Second and a FA cup win and its been a good season.Hopefully next season we can kick on and win the premiership.

However I really would like to see a change in style and be a little more adventurous.

Plus a few additions,I still think a decent winger would make a massive difference especially too Lakuku.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I just don't see who is out there. To be honest Jose is the safe option. The likes of the Monaco/Napoli manager might change our style, but would they cope with the PL. If not we could fall back again. The best options were probably Klopp and Pep and we let them pass us by.
Also this mentality is one that is never going to go very far IMO. You can't just constantly keep thinking "who is out there". Barca gave Pep the job when all he had was being in charge of the B team. Madrid gave Zidane the job off of again, just reserve team experience. Mourinho won the champions league with Porto, who was he before that? What did Pochettino do at Southampton beyond be relatively stable and play decent stuff (something loads of managers have done at various clubs)? Klopp before he turned Dortmund into what they have been for the past 7-8 years or so. There's loads of examples. Bayern just gave the job to Niko Kovac.

I'm not saying give it to some random, but the manager after Mourinho doesn't have to be some guy who has won everything there is to win somewhere else. There's never going to be "the perfect choice". You take risks now and then, but there has to be valid reasons for those risks, and a proper vetting process. Not a risk like David Moyes, who played shit football at Everton for 10 years, was the furthest thing from being an inspiring individual, and was a classic outdated British manager. That was always going to fail, and so many fans saw it happening. I remember saying that he'll be sacked within a season, because there's simply no way someone like Moyes would ever last at a club like United. But sometimes you have to give the job to someone who has the right ideologies, the right mentality, charisma, and in general having many things fall in line with what United as a club has always been about. Attacking football, combined with a never give up attitude and determination to get the win. Giving youth a chance when they earn it. Things like that. It's not simple for us fans to just say "appoint him or this other guy", when there is so much more that goes into it. But there should be a better system in place to ensure smoother transitions, but also to ensure no matter who takes charge, we still have the same priorities and don't turn absolute trash like what happened with Moyes.

Mourinho was a necessity at the time, and him being here was definitely the right choice at the time (since Pep was already going to City). We needed a sharp change back to being respectable again. But going forward, we need to change too.

lostqq

We are Man Utd. Top 4 is the bare minimum. There's nothing to shout about here. Let's finish on a high, win the FA Cup and build towards next season.
In all fairness we produced title challenging points but for City having a blinder of a season... We win the next 3 games, how is 86 points nothing to shout about?

Jojo <3 Mou

Well done team!

It doesn't matter who you are, how much your team cost, who the coach is or even what your history is, the team has to go out and for 38 games earn their place. This team has done relatively well. Let's improve even more across the board.

Onwards and upwards!

Eddy_JukeZ

Bare minimum done.

This club doesn't fight to get in the top 4.

It fights for trophies.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
I think you lot have had a good season, barring a freak City side any other season and you would have won the title. Sevilla stuff was very poor but next season should be interesting. I am hoping we are not as gutless.

Sterling Archer

I think you lot have had a good season, barring a freak City side any other season and you would have won the title. Sevilla stuff was very poor but next season should be interesting. I am hoping we are not as gutless.
Pretty much the glass half full view I have. To win the title this year we would had to have beaten the PL record for wins. None of SAFs teams made it to 30 wins. Even the invincibles arsenal team only had 26.

Wengerscoat

Supports
Arsenal
Pretty much the glass half full view I have. To win the title this year we would had to have beaten the PL record for wins. None of SAFs teams made it to 30 wins. Even the invincibles arsenal team only had 26.
City will end up with over a 100 points so you're right it was impossible for any team to beat that. You have a good team, settled manager I think next year is a big year with regards to where the team goes under Jose. Chelsea will improve next year, so will Liverpool. I am hoping we will as well and Spurs will be there and there abouts and there is no way City are repeating this high again. Should be a great season next year.

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
What next, congrats for getting in the top ten?

We set out to win the title and we failed miserably
Have to disagree here tbh. We didn't fail miserably at all considering we're on track for 86 points which is a more than respectable title challenge, City were just a different class.

Openshaw53

Losing to Newcastle, Huddersfield and WBA is unacceptable. But even with the extra 9 points we are not close enough, let's be fair the season was over when the bitters dicked us at OT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miscemayl

Have we all forgotten how we missed or worried about missing the CL in the last few seasons?

No one is celebrating top 4, we are celebrating the progress of qualifying with games to spare, of potentially 2nd with 86 points.

Yes, we've failed to win the league but City had a freak season. Pretty much every championship winning team would've came 2nd to this City team. Pretty harsh to use that as a stick to bash Mourinho

Green_Red

What next, congrats for getting in the top ten?

We set out to win the title and we failed miserably
We set out to win the title? Are you deluded? From 5th to the title. Dream on man. Top 4 and QF in CL would have been progress. Here we are 2nd, in the FA cup final. Decent season.

Mike Schatner

Devil's advocnut
Jose has done a decent job, Two trophies last year and CL football this years. Hopefully add the FA Cup this year and 2nd in the league is a decent season. United's points total would be very close to winning the league in many seasons.

Just need to improve the tempo and entertainment level and hope City have a dip next year.

mu4c_20le

We set out to win the title? Are you deluded? From 5th to the title. Dream on man. Top 4 and QF in CL would have been progress. Here we are 2nd, in the FA cup final. Decent season.
You realize Chelsea finished 10th the year before they won the league last year?

Water Melon

Jose has done a decent job, Two trophies last year and CL football this years. Hopefully add the FA Cup this year and 2nd in the league is a decent season. United's points total would be very close to winning the league in many seasons.

Just need to improve the tempo and entertainment level and hope City have a dip next year.
What if City improve further or at least do not have a dip? Would coming second again mean a decent job done by Jose? And how about CL? As Pool have shown that they can reach final with paper-thin squad, is it reasonable to expect Utd to reach semis?

Lj82

There seems to be no place for middle ground here.
While I generally agree that many posters are too dismissive and pessimistic about the progress we made under Jose, OP is over-compensating with this thread. Securing a CL place while important is more of a minimum requirement than an achievement.

T A

Yeah, second or fourth makes no difference. One (possible) domestic cup a season is still an underachievement given United/SAF/Mourinho himself standard

MDFC Manager

This is why comparing league winners across years is pointless. Fergie and his teams always adapted and beat the opposition they faced.

SER19

Every single thread that comments on progress or improvement or simply saying well done, without any indication of celebration or over reaction, gets the same reaction from so many here. It must genuinely be depressing living a life where you feel actually entitled to winning the league, regardless of where the club has been lately, and the bizarre ridiculous attitude that we should have just somehow adapted to beat a city team likely to finish on an all time points total high pretty much confirms the entitlement.

Nobody nobody nobody is “shouting about”or “celebrating”a damn thing as far as I can see.

SER19

You realize Chelsea finished 10th the year before they won the league last year?
And won the league the year before that. Don’t pretend the years 2013-2017 haven’t damaged united and set us back.

meamth

I hope we can get 83 points maximum. Other than that I'm pretty much disappointed.

But whatever it is, I enjoyed this season. Well done Jose.

Green_Red

With pretty much the same squad that won the league the year before they finished 10th. What does that tell you?

We're assembling a squad after years of bad investment. 5 of the players that started against Arsenal were signed this season...

Ashley R1+O

Some genuinely bizarre posts in this thread. People spending way to much time whiffing their own negativity farts and jaring them up for others to share the wealth. Proper weird.

City's freak season can be marked as an abherration. Unless we somehow go from around 80 points to near 100 points next season I don't see us competing with a similar season from City than they have just had. Their project is about 7 or 8 years futher along and over a billion dollars in the making.

We've still got 6 or 7 major core problems to settle and we're several players away from balancing some key areas on the pitch. This is genuine progress, why people are discounting it is beyond me. Even for some whiffy echo chamber comedy.

cantonaldo

Some genuinely bizarre posts in this thread. People spending way to much time whiffing their own negativity farts and jaring them up for others to share the wealth. Proper weird.

City's freak season can be marked as an abherration. Unless we somehow go from around 80 points to near 100 points next season I don't see us competing with a similar season from City than they have just had. Their project is about 7 or 8 years futher along and over a billion dollars in the making.

We've still got 6 or 7 major core problems to settle and we're several players away from balancing some key areas on the pitch. This is genuine progress, why people are discounting it is beyond me. Even for some whiffy echo chamber comedy.
They feel entitled to success. They won't celebrate 1-0, or 2-1 victories. They want to pound opponents left, right and centre. They think every other teams are shit and not winning makes us even shittier. Moaners.

Mourinho inherited a rather broken team with lots of ageing and jaded star players, Carrick, Rooney, Valencia, Young, etc. It is unlikely that the Board will sanction full changes to the team, so he had to work around blending new with the old. He had to work around a ridiculous transfer market that saw players like Neymar, Coutinho and etc, going for exorbitant prices. He had to challenge a team that has been assembled at great cost using oil money instead of using sustainable income. He was still able to get us a two trophies, improved our position in the league by amassing an impressive amount of points and in the process beat Man City and Liverpool, our two hated rivals, and got us to an FA cup final. But hey, lets all ignore that and argue that because we are Man Utd, we must be at the top always and playing sexciting football at the same time.

You lot are even grumpier that the man himself.

Reactions: Penna

Water Melon

Come on now. City's project is 7-8 years older? Then you can say that United's is 20years older. Since Pep took over, our wage bill is higher and we are likely to catch them on net spend this summer. Expecting a proper title challenge is not unrealistic it is a must. Conte walked it, Pep did too, we fecked up before new year and are now dreading to see scousers win CL while being totally useless against Sevilla ourselves.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
First time we've actually got CL comfortably since SAF retired, it's not a huge achievement but it's better than under Moyes and LvG. CL in back to back seasons is a start but have to build on it next season.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Top 4 is not a success. 2nd and Fa Cup winners will be a success. Especially that no team in PL history could have won the league this season against City.