6 realistic signings to improve us?

neilv93

If we're sticking with the 4-2-3-1 then Sancho and Eriksen are the immediately "jump-outs" as the first two. Final position is up for debate IMO - I wouldn't consider either Shaw or McT massive weak links (certainly not above DJ/JLingz/Pereira in the current system) but they'd be the obvious choices to upgrade the further down the list you get. Someone like Chilwell or Alex Telles (Porto) to replace Shaw or Rice/Ndidi to replace McT.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We really must be looking very seriously at Maddison, he seems to be an outstanding young talent, and I think Neves is just terrific, but is he attainable? I don't know...

ricky-romeo

3 out of this 4
Longstaff for 40m
Maddison for 60m
McGinn for 40m
Brooks for 40m

I can see this happening. improve us yes but not good enough to actually competing with Citeh or Liverpool anytime soon.

Craig Ward

3 out of this 4
Longstaff for 40m
Maddison for 60m
McGinn for 40m
Brooks for 40m

I can see this happening. improve us yes but not good enough to actually competing with Citeh or Liverpool anytime soon.
2x AM and 2x CM?

You realistically think that's realistic?

We would then have:
Matic, Periera, McTom, Fred, Garner, Pogba, Lingard, Gomes, Chong, Mata, Longstaff, Maddison, Brooks & McGinn.

Appreciate some named on that list need never put a shirt on for us again, but we couldn't even sign 1 midfielder this window, despite the heavy links to Fernandes so signing 4 in one window seems like a big ask, considering we are lightweight with attackers, even more so if Sanchez goes

If we talk about midfield, in this system Ole is preferring we 100% need a creative #10. Eriksen or Maddison clearly stand out for me. Lingard is simply not good enough and Mata is probably not going to feature more than bit part with Gomes/Chong being untested.

For the title of the thread, i'll answer.

Summer window, essential purchases.
1) Jadon Sancho
2) James Maddison
3) Moussa Dembele

Gone for 3x attacking options.
We need a striker for depth if nothing else. Bringing 1 more in will add 4, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood +1other.
RW - Sancho looks a player and would send us to another level. He could also interchange with others in our front line. 100% what we need
AM - Gone for Maddison above others such as Eriksen. Would fit in, plays with flair, hardworking and great at set pieces. Instantly makes us better.

To sell:
Jones/Smalling/Lingard/Matic

If Fred has a poor season, he needs to go also.

arthurka

Shaw definitely has attacking instincts in him, he can score and cross, just needs to get the balance right between both. If he can improve, he still is young enough to become an awesome player.
He is 24 and only Jesse Lingard counts as extremely talented youngster at 24 but his flaws are there for all to see and sadly he seems to have gotten stale for the last two seasons. He hasn´t improved one bit and sadly looks to be in worse shape than he was two years ago. Jose got called out after we played Chelsea because he pointed out that Maguire would have to get used to covering for him sadly v Wolves that trend continued and he was left stranded time and time again in the second half with other players trying to fill that gap.

If you compare AWB and Shaw when it comes to defense work there isn´t any contest there one challenges all crosses and runs the other one is never even close to his player to do so. The sad truth here is that we have a player that came here with a reputation of being the most promising LB in years and we end up with a fairly mediocre player who struggles with fitness. If Dalot or someone from our academy isn´t going to challenge him for this position this season we will need to replace him next summer it´s that simple, we could give him more time to come good but I think we will have another Lingard on our hands in coming years if we don´t

ricky-romeo

2x AM and 2x CM?

You realistically think that's realistic?
might be realistic enough for Ole , and for Ed as well.

we signed 3 British players this summer, and apparently rejected the chance to get Bruno Fernandes maybe because he is not British and Premier League proven plus he gave the ball away a lot according to reports.

if we continue with this trend of getting young and hungry British players who needs a big move then it is not impossible for Ole to go for 3 of the 4 that I've mentioned.

Brooks is an AM/RW, obviously our first choice is Sancho but he is a 100m signing. would not surprise me if Ed will just sanction a move for Brooks who is going to be less half the price of Sancho.

Maddison could be a potential replacement for Pogba, if Pogba does get his move this summer.

we all know Sean Longstaff is well coveted by Ole and his staff.

McGinn is an outsider but Sir Alex is a big fan and might put in his word into Ole. plus he will have a season of PL football this year, if he impress then Ole could be interested.

these 3 or 4 are not my preferred choice obviously, but I just can see this happening.

Flanders Devil

Sancho
Neves

Plus one of:
Erikson/Son
Kane (is this realistic?) / Auba
Asciaba (sp?)/Kante

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think any of Rice, Sancho, madison and their like are particularly realistic. Not impossible, but you will need to be in the champions league to do it and they will cost an absolute bomb. You can afford maybe one such player.

I think what is more realistic is that you will be looking for cheaper options in the British market (even Longstaff is too overpriced) for squad fillers and look in different categories for your star players.

Players like Havertz, van de beek, savic.

Basically shopping from the shelves that spurs are shopping from when they go big and Madrid shop from when they aren't going big. Examples from this summer would have been lo celso, n'dombele, Jovic, mendy and militao.

wolvored

Lorenzo Pellegrini and/or Bryan Cristante look decent at a young age 22/23. Maybe fairly cheap (<£50m) as well. Carlos Soler looks to have everything in his locker as well. Alternative to Sancho for RW, but can play CM as well.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He is 24 and only Jesse Lingard counts as extremely talented youngster at 24 but his flaws are there for all to see and sadly he seems to have gotten stale for the last two seasons. He hasn´t improved one bit and sadly looks to be in worse shape than he was two years ago. Jose got called out after we played Chelsea because he pointed out that Maguire would have to get used to covering for him sadly v Wolves that trend continued and he was left stranded time and time again in the second half with other players trying to fill that gap.

If you compare AWB and Shaw when it comes to defense work there isn´t any contest there one challenges all crosses and runs the other one is never even close to his player to do so. The sad truth here is that we have a player that came here with a reputation of being the most promising LB in years and we end up with a fairly mediocre player who struggles with fitness. If Dalot or someone from our academy isn´t going to challenge him for this position this season we will need to replace him next summer it´s that simple, we could give him more time to come good but I think we will have another Lingard on our hands in coming years if we don´t
So 24 is too old to improve? I don’t agree with much of your post actually dude, sorry.

He was never going to improve under Jose. His head clearly wasn’t right after that injury and Jose doesn’t account for that rubbish.

I think Shaw will feel good about his football under Ole and I do think he’ll have a good solid season. I’m not saying he’s going to be world class but LB is not an area of concern for me while we have Shaw. He’s a good player.

Jacob

Impossible to tell what is realistic and not. Realistically, we can afford to buy anyone. Our biggest hurdle is convincing saught-after players to come here.

Don't think Havertz would come here, maybe Sancho if we qualify for CL this year and strengthen even further in January.

arthurka

So 24 is too old to improve? I don’t agree with much of your post actually dude, sorry.

He was never going to improve under Jose. His head clearly wasn’t right after that injury and Jose doesn’t account for that rubbish.

I think Shaw will feel good about his football under Ole and I do think he’ll have a good solid season. I’m not saying he’s going to be world class but LB is not an area of concern for me while we have Shaw. He’s a good player.
Never said that, I just said that he isn´t a youngster anymore he will turn 25 next season so he is getting into the middle of a players career and that he has been playing regular football now for almost 3 seasons at Utd and he hasn´t improved over that time. I personally don´t think he is a good player and am struggling to feel your optimism towards his improvement but I am fully OK with you having another opinion as I really want him to come good he kind of deserves it, a bit of the head says no but the heart says yes.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
3 out of this 4
Longstaff for 40m
Maddison for 60m
McGinn for 40m
Brooks for 40m

100% agree. Will be interesting to see how McGinn and Longstaff fare this season.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think Pogba will go next season and we will need two MFs. A ten if Gomes does not make it and possibly sancho.

We really have to see how the young players do this season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
3 out of this 4
Longstaff for 40m
Maddison for 60m
McGinn for 40m
Brooks for 40m

Keep dreaming if you think we will get Maddison for 60m

IrishMcD

The absolute dream would be Kante, Sancho and Havertz but I think it's more likely I'll win the Euromillions than us getting all three of those players, or even two of them!
So sticking with the "realistic" part of the thread, hopefully go all out for Sancho and then maybe Rice and Maddison. Anything would be better than Lingard and Mata and Matic getting game time.

Volumiza

Let’s hope I’m right then :)

Maybe it is optimism, just not ready to write him off. He was a cracking little player at Southampton and with us until his injury. All he needs to do is get that back ... and keep off the doughnuts!

Volumiza

Never said that, I just said that he isn´t a youngster anymore he will turn 25 next season so he is getting into the middle of a players career and that he has been playing regular football now for almost 3 seasons at Utd and he hasn´t improved over that time. I personally don´t think he is a good player and am struggling to feel your optimism towards his improvement but I am fully OK with you having another opinion as I really want him to come good he kind of deserves it, a bit of the head says no but the heart says yes.
Sorry, see above post, forgot to add reply

RooneyLegend

Let’s hope I’m right then :)

Maybe it is optimism, just not ready to write him off. He was a cracking little player at Southampton and with us until his injury. All he needs to do is get that back ... and keep off the doughnuts!
Like you ive always been enthusiastic about what he can do given how good he was at Southampton but its gotten to a point we might just have to throw in the towel.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Havertz
Sancho
Alaba (if possible), if not then Chilwell or if we ignore LB then id like a DM, Kante is most peopls dream but i dont want that style, id like a Carrick, a passer and reader but from deep, dont think i know too many of that style though available

Volumiza

Like you ive always been enthusiastic about what he can do given how good he was at Southampton but its gotten to a point we might just have to throw in the towel.
Really? We’re at that point? Like I said earlier, CM, RW, AM are positions id be looking at way, way, way before replacing Shaw.

Maybe get some competition in for that position but I’d give him the rest of this season at least to prove he can be as good as we’d like.

Volumiza

We really must be looking very seriously at Maddison, he seems to be an outstanding young talent, and I think Neves is just terrific, but is he attainable? I don't know...
Both of these would be great signings and I genuinely believe we made an enquires over Maddison in the summer, no way Leicester would let him and Magure leave the same window.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I just have to say I’m curious. Why does everyone think Sancho is a realistic and viable target?

Where do you United fans think you’ll have to finish/what kind of season do you think you need to have to properly attract him.

Not to be rude but I can’t see him being interested when you’re in this current state.

RooneyLegend

I just have to say I’m curious. Why does everyone think Sancho is a realistic and viable target?

Where do you United fans think you’ll have to finish/what kind of season do you think you need to have to properly attract him.

Not to be rude but I can’t see him being interested when you’re in this current state.
We're Man United and have very deep pockets. Dont think the other European giants are going to go around and spend the sort of money on a player they arent all that sure of.

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
We're Man United and have very deep pockets. Dont think the other European giants are going to go around and spend the sort of money on a player they arent all that sure of.
See this is sort of the problem I've seen. You go into the window with this "we're Man United" attitude and then the transfer window ends like a lot of the previous ones have and the season ends the way the previous ones have as well. By that I mean incredibly underwhelming.

RooneyLegend

See this is sort of the problem I've seen. You go into the window with this "we're Man United" attitude and then the transfer window ends like a lot of the previous ones have and the season ends the way the previous ones have as well. By that I mean incredibly underwhelming.
Mostly because we dont try most of the time. We arent turned down all that many times. Sometimes we dont want to spend the money. We have spent alot of money though in recent years.

Coxy

Personally I don't think he'd join us - not until we're competing again.