30 Rock

Salvation

Damnation
Any fans?

Think this the best comedy on TV right now and is up there among the best shows like Arrested Development, Curb, etc.

Plus, I keep falling more and more in love with Tina Fey by the day.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Its good for a laugh and at its best its very good but its miles off the quality of Arrested Development or Curb.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I've only ever caught odd bits and not found it funny at all, but that's possibly because I'm not aware of what's really going on. Might try and give it a proper watch as I've heard a lot of people raving about it.

GingerPrince11

first few seasons were brilliant, I am just not that into it anymore, dont know if its the quality or my preference for other comedies, ie. community and parks and recreation.

Salvation

Damnation
Its good for a laugh and at its best its very good but its miles off the quality of Arrested Development or Curb.
Dunno. I find many of its humour taking on subjects which Curb and AD would be reluctant to flirt with. And they manage to pull it off very often.

first few seasons were brilliant, I am just not that into it anymore, dont know if its the quality or my preference for other comedies, ie. community and parks and recreation.
It did have its lull but the current season marks a return to form.

Hard to Watch had me in bits:

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Great show, i thought the latter parts of Season 4 dropped in quality a bit but it seems to be right back up there now.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Explains the plot in the latest episodes. Clearly fillers like when Alyson Hannigan went missing from HIMYM.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I love it. Tracy Jordan is fecking hilarious. New episode is on tonight and Alan Alda is guest starring.

Zen

I enjoy 30 Rock. First two seasons are great, 3 has been a bit slow, which is where I kind of stopped, I'll get back on track someday though.

Brophs

The One and Only
What's with all of these shitty concept episodes?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Isn't she still pregnant or something? Shows always get worse when an actress get's pregnant and her character isn't. They barely can shoot a scene with Liz where she isn't sitting down or outside wearing a coat.

Salvation

Damnation
Bump.

Easily among the top 3 comedies ever for me. Just did a marathon and seasons 1-3 and 5 were a class apart. Never have the writers resolved conflicts with cliches. Each of the main characters is a class apart. Plus, sides like Lutz and Dr. Spaceman are howlarious. And for a show which has attracted its fair share of guests, most if not all have given stellar cameos.

Wonder Pigeon

Supports
Shelbourne
You know I never asked, what are these subjects that 30 Rock is willing to take on that Arrested Development wasn't? AD didn't exactly shirk from controversial stuff.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Meh for me. Bar Liz and Jack, none of the other character enthral me too much. It is inferior to Parks and Recreation and Office (both version), so talk of top 3 or so is very silly IMO.

Salvation

Damnation
Office isn't better. It's a very good show but is often too one dimensional with the dynamics between characters. You know Michael Scott will say something silly in every episode, Jim and Pam will pull a prank on Dwight, etc.

Haven't seen Parks and Recreation, yet.

30 Rock is probably my kinda humour though.

You know I never asked, what are these subjects that 30 Rock is willing to take on that Arrested Development wasn't? AD didn't exactly shirk from controversial stuff.
30 Rock isn't really about issues. Just different character dynamics and a unique setting with an array of characters unexplored in television. Which is more than what can be said for most shows.

Wonder Pigeon

Supports
Shelbourne
I still don't get you. What did you mean by this?

Dunno. I find many of its humour taking on subjects which Curb and AD would be reluctant to flirt with. And they manage to pull it off very often.

It did have its lull but the current season marks a return to form.

Hard to Watch had me in bits:
What character dynamics are so unique to 30 Rock?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The last couple of seasons would have been completely unwatchable without Alec Baldwin. I stopped watching it when it came to a point when even he couldn't save it. It's never really been that great but enjoyable enough with the odd really good moments.

They should try and get Will Arnett to be on it more.

Salvation

Damnation
I still don't get you. What did you mean by this?

What character dynamics are so unique to 30 Rock?
Ah! Ok, think aspects like parodying on what the state of television (thing like Queen of Jordan, Hard to Watch), the writers' constant dialogue with the audience by breaking the fourth wall, how it religiously avoids usual themes like emotional overload which most shows suffers from, and how it almost never resolves conflicts the conventional way is what I was alluding to.

It may not be a show which will remain relevant cos of its topicality bit for me its writing is easily the best ive seen. Television today in no way can pull off a right-wing protagonist which is extremely cool and likable, for example.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
So I need a new show to watch over lunch. When does this get good?

I’ve watched 10 episodes now and gone past two episodes suggested as the ‘it gets good’ point but I’m really struggling to see it. Alec Baldwin is the best part of it but the supporting characters seem very slapstick and one dimensional.

I know these shows often need time to find their groove so is it worth sticking with?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

I’ve watched 10 episodes now and gone past two episodes suggested as the ‘it gets good’ point but I’m really struggling to see it. Alec Baldwin is the best part of it but the supporting characters seem very slapstick and one dimensional.

I know these shows often need time to find their groove so is it worth sticking with?
It doesn't, sometimes it's good and sometimes it's rather dull.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.

Sometimes older shows don't hit the same and they're fresh for their time. Maybe it's that because I had the exact same experience genuinely.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Sometimes older shows don't hit the same and they're fresh for their time. Maybe it's that because I had the exact same experience genuinely.
Yeah I reminded myself a few times it was 2006 and probably would’ve found it funny at the time.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

If you’re not into it it now then it’s probably not for you.

I couldn’t point to any stand out episodes but I really did like the characters portrayed by Baldwin, Fay, Morgan and whoever played Kenneth.

That said, we got kinda bored with it and gave up at some point, I couldn’t even tell you when, and we never revisited it. There’s definitely better shows I’d say.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I also felt the same about the wire :nervous: But I've been told I'm wrong because there's people who just picked it up and still love it
Yeah sorry can’t help you on that one. The Wire stands the test of time wonderfully as a lot of it is still true to this day.

It is funny how when you watch something can change your view on it though. A lot of younger people don’t really get the Simpsons because they’ve seen that humour so many times elsewhere, not realising they were the first to do a lot of it.

I rewatched the first episode of Workaholics recently after remembering loving it during its run time and I fecking hated it :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If you’re not into it it now then it’s probably not for you.

I couldn’t point to any stand out episodes but I really did like the characters portrayed by Baldwin, Fay, Morgan and whoever played Kenneth.

That said, we got kinda bored with it and gave up at some point, I couldn’t even tell you when, and we never revisited it. There’s definitely better shows I’d say.
I thought Fey and Baldwin were very good. Yeah. Tracy just annoyed me and I’m not sure if it was bad acting or just crap writing but I just didn’t find him funny. Kenneth was decent and had potential but the rest seemed very dull.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I thought Fey and Baldwin were very good. Yeah. Tracy just annoyed me and I’m not sure if it was bad acting or just crap writing but I just didn’t find him funny. Kenneth was decent and had potential but the rest seemed very dull.
Yea I think you’ll have a better time rewatching The Office or Parks & Rec or something.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah sorry can’t help you on that one. The Wire stands the test of time wonderfully as a lot of it is still true to this day.

It is funny how when you watch something can change your view on it though. A lot of younger people don’t really get the Simpsons because they’ve seen that humour so many times elsewhere, not realising they were the first to do a lot of it.

I rewatched the first episode of Workaholics recently after remembering loving it during its run time and I fecking hated it :lol:
I liked the wire but just think it's a little dragged out and it's themes I've seen before. Not a popular opinion at all and maybe its my dopamine hooked ADD brain

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I remember thinking the same thing the first time I tried to watch it. I can’t tell you exactly when or how I changed my opinion and started to enjoy it, but I just kinda did. It’s better to see it as a live action cartoon rather than anything where you should expect any character development.

There’s also a bunch of Fey disciples writing basic carbon copy’s of its tone atm… Girls5Eva & Great News on Netflix being the prime examples, and weirdly the Saved By The Bell reboot.

Yea I think you’ll have a better time rewatching The Office or Parks & Rec or something.
I’ve had a much harder time rewatching Parks & Rec tbh….I just don’t really like anyone in it anymore, can’t put my finger on it.

Party Down with Adam Scott has aged quite well though, and the reboot is good so far.

Last edited: