3rd Season Curse: What are your expectations for next season?

BaneIsPain

breaking the curse.I doubt Liverpool and City can replicate their form and doubt Mourinho will not win big trophy next season.

wolvored

With Chelsea spending big and maybe a new manager, with Arsenal probably backing their new manager with big money, along with Liverpool (could be euro champions and a great attraction), City spending as well as being Champions (another attraction), and Spurs being Spurs, I dont think we will do as well as this season under Mourinho. We have made top 4 fairly easily due to Chelsea falling off a cliff after winning it last year and Arsenal disintergrating in Wengers last year. I think unless Mourinho spends big and brings in at least 4 top quality players, we could be struggling for top 4. I would expect him to get us to last 16 again in Ch league. When he states hes only bringing in 2 and wants no one to leave, you have to worry.

wolvored

I can't think of any top club in Europe looking at the shite Mourinho's serving up and thinking, "yeah, we need some of that"

so, when we do sack him, I don't know where he'll go. Probably to manage the Portugal national team
Yes I would agree with that or even something a bit more controversial; to manage the England team.

wolvored

breaking the curse.I doubt Liverpool and City can replicate their form and doubt Mourinho will not win big trophy next season.
Why do you think that? City have very good players all over the pitch, and Liverpool have one of the best attacking plays around.

Andersons Dietician

Expectation has to be win the league or CL.

I think he’ll get more workmen in this summer, so expecting an even more functional team next year. Not sure we’ll see the meltdown even tho it looks like it’s building. Woodward is too much of a Yes man and unless the fans turn he will be here till he wants to leave.

As for trophies, positions i’ll Say 2nd, no trophies.

Laurentiu amt

Expectation, 2nd place and cl semis, build for the year after. City will easily be too strong again in the epl.

Reality: with 2 new players - fa cup + top4/6

With 3-4 new quality players- 2nd -3rd and cl quarters/semis.

No chance for PL trophy, team needs too many additions and the style of play needs too much tinkering.

Liverpool and City are favs for the next title tho, even if it hurts saying it.

Cloud7

So, as it'll be his 3rd season, even his PR/cult can agree a PL title isn't an unreasonable expectation at this point? Or am I a spoilt, gloryhunter that shouldn't ask for too much and should run off to support City?
You would be surprised. Never underestimate the ability of his fans to say “the players are crap and let José down” even when it’s the same players he would have spent all transfer window chasing, and that he needs more time to get better players in.

Oneunited26

I don’t think Jose will change, he wants to still keep players not good enough, backroom staff he’s never changed, same methods and I don’t see much difference what we done this year to next year. Trophy wise I just think this teams level under him is the cup competitions like
League cup and fa cup, with a top 4 next year

RedFish

Expectations?.......That the moaning on here will continue regardless of how well we're doing.

I'd expect us to do better than this season providing he can get in a few players that actually give a shit.

steffyr2

Seems your a bit butt hurt at the non-love in for Jose from a significant portion of the caf.

I think you will find it is because of the dross football not any other reason people are upset.

As for who follows him, when he eventually leaves, anyone's guess. Why not someone who has been in the back room during Fergie's reign. They would certainly have experienced the United Culture.
You said
Would not surprise me if we have an ex-player who has been managing for a number of years.
Who do you have in mind, rather specific statement?

buckooo1978

think we will address some issues in the squad with reinforcements at Fullback and Midfield

hoping we get a Right Attacker

don't think we will win the league though - not enough creativity in the team, too reliant on Lukaku, issue of Martial and Rashford not being used enough so when they are thrown in they look rusty and playing under pressure, im expecting thr same disjointed football at times

we will fight Liverpool for 2nd

C'est Moi Cantona

Expectations?.......That the moaning on here will continue regardless of how well we're doing.

I'd expect us to do better than this season providing he can get in a few players that actually give a shit.
I'd expect to see the moaning about people moaning continuing aswell.

SalfordRed1960

You said
Who do you have in mind, rather specific statement?
I don't have anyone in mind. I wouldn't want class of 92 or Cantona, not sure about the likes of Ollie, Ince, definitely not hughes, Phelan or kidd, probably not bruce or robson. But i would not be too concerned if choccy was considered or if we went for ex-Fergie No. 2.

When Moyes got rid of the back office we certainly lost a lot of United culture and it shows.

AgentP

I'm hoping Jose will be able to overcome his self-destructive implosion this time. I can see some symptoms of it in his post-match interviews already especially the Sevilla one. He needs to reign it in and stop throwing his players under the bus everytime our team loses.

Marcky411

Dressing room bust-up by December. Mourinho out on his ear, or drags us to another extremely bland top 4 finish with a trophy nobody really cares about but hey, Mourinho wins more silverware!
:lol: Well put.
Besides the fact that the fans are more divided than ever, one thing is for certain we all agree we won't be winning the league, even the pro Jose group have lowered their expectations (got to give it to Jose for pulling that one off) for the coming season and that before the summer transfer has even started.
I myself aren't even that confident of a 4th place finish next season. Chelsea were champions last year and look what happened to them, so a top 4 is no given.
I personally think it doesn't matter who we get in this summer, the football isn't going to change it might even get worse as certain starters like a Sanchez, Matic, Valencia are on their last legs career wise and if our first signing of the summer is Fellaini the future will look even grimmer.
The only real concerns I have is that our young talent like a Martial, Rashford, TFM, Perreira etc will move on or be moved on and by the time Jose leaves or gets sacked we will be sitting with an team full of old/er player who will need to replaced by the next manager and won't be any better off than the day Fergie left.

Marcky411

4 players might not fix it, but it would certainly help if they were the right players.

I think we need to make the Team and Squad better, and I hope he adds youth to both. We need mobility and leadership combined. Our midfield certainly needs addressing, with a playmaker who can carry the ball and score and assist in goals.

Both full back positions need to be addressed and a CB who can command that area. We also need a RW who can run to the byline and cross a ball properly.

Maybe we have one or two who can move up like Pereira/Gomes and Fosu/Reilly. I also think that a couple of Youths should be moved up to the squad, at least. Chang for wide position, and a Midfielder. We are far too slow in our build up play and getting caught out with so called wingers/full backs pulling the ball back, and not able to cross.

And for plan B, Noooh, this is not the United way, hoofing the ball for big Fellaini (get Rid), Sunday league football.

Players I would like to see coming in are Savic and Fred for Midfield. Sandro for LB and maybe use Fosu as RB. The CB I like is Maguire as he has Premiership experience and is a big strong lad with leadership qualities. This is just my Opinion.
Firstly I would like to say I agree with a lot you saying even the players you say we should try and get in but the part I highlighted, didn't we pay a world record fee for a Pogba to do exactly that?

Van Gaalacticos

My expectations would be that we secure enough points to win the title and only lose the title to someone having an amazing season like City did this season then it is hard to compete with that. 80 points plus I would say is my expectation.

Doing as well as we can in the CL and if and when we are knocked out it is to a big team like Bayern/Barca/Real (providing we didn't get trounced) - anything less is bullshit.

Strong cup runs in both domestic cups would be good but not the priority. Always a massive achievement to win one though.

No more parking the bus in an ideal world but I think thems just pipe dreams

Ventura

We will go for the title.

City will be deflated. Arsenal/spurs are going nowhere. Liverpool may be the toughest competitor, perhaps joined by Chelsea.

Heista

Supports
Ajax
Mourinho will stay till the end. Ending #2 in the PL.
CL will either not move past group stages or go one stage further than this year.

Marcky411

My point is that even though he is too naturally talented to really fail any team he leaves us to play for, I can’t see him being the consistent difference maker in an elite team at the pointy end of the competitions. And yet, there’ll probably be cafe threads popping up left, right and centre about his post-United performances even if he is adequately replaced, we improve the right-hand side, but we don’t win everything in sight. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe he goes to Italy and then back to conquer England full circle like Salah did. I’d be surprised and gutted at the same time.
If Martial leaves, he will be snapped up by a team as one for the future, he will not be expected to constantly be the difference maker, he will be given time to develop into the player we all know he could be with the correct training and support. Here under Jose he is left to his whims,(last year he and Rashford had Zlatan for guidance) and support from the manager went right out the window since his new toy Sanchez arrived.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
:lol: Well put.
Besides the fact that the fans are more divided than ever, one thing is for certain we all agree we won't be winning the league, even the pro Jose group have lowered their expectations (got to give it to Jose for pulling that one off) for the coming season and that before the summer transfer has even started.
I myself aren't even that confident of a 4th place finish next season. Chelsea were champions last year and look what happened to them, so a top 4 is no given.
I personally think it doesn't matter who we get in this summer, the football isn't going to change it might even get worse as certain starters like a Sanchez, Matic, Valencia are on their last legs career wise and if our first signing of the summer is Fellaini the future will look even grimmer.
The only real concerns I have is that our young talent like a Martial, Rashford, TFM, Perreira etc will move on or be moved on and by the time Jose leaves or gets sacked we will be sitting with an team full of old/er player who will need to replaced by the next manager and won't be any better off than the day Fergie left.
One long term injury to DDG is all it takes to drop out of top four.

Marcky411

I fully agree, but first the manager has to give a shit. His body language and his press conferences say otherwise.

CA1

He's close to meeting my expectations for this season so hopefully he does for next season.

At the start of the season I wanted a solid top 4 place, CL knockouts and a cup. That was a realistic expectation for the squad we have. We have a lot of over rated players and I think Mourinho has done well with them.

Next season I'd like 2nd but with a decent challenge for City in the 2nd half of the season, go further in CL and another cup.

These expectations can be altered depending on who the club bring in and out.

jackofalltrades

You can't usually win the PL playing as badly as we have so often. Sure we've got the points but those points could easily be dropped next season. I don't feel at all confident about a better finish or even the same position, next season. I excused last season's dour games thinking that it would be better this one, that Bourinho would pull out the all stops whenever possible or necessary.

I remember the following sequence against Swansea at 2 - 0. Pogba is just outside the center circle, he passes the ball to someone about 10 yards to his left, who passes it forward 10 yards, who passes it back to the same guy, who passes it further back then receives the ball again and passes it back to Pogba who is in the same place where all this started. He then loses the ball. FFS

I'd feel more confident if I thought things were clearly being sorted out, but if all the changes needed go ahead we'll still be a mix of many new, the young and some ageing players who maybe are just about to be past their peak.Getting that right is essential.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Next season without the title would make it 6 years and at least 7 before our next chance. We would be slowly creeping towards a decade without domestic success.
He simply has to put up a genuine title challenge.

Todd

Unless the manager stops forcing the players to play scared, I don't see anything changing. My expectation will simply be to tread water for another season. Just make sure of a top 4 finish and at least get to the knockout round in CL.

Luke1995

It all comes down to Pogba and Alexis, really. If they're in world class form, the entire squad will receive a boost in confidence and perform above their normal level. Wes Brown, Evans and Oshea were never even close to great players but due to the leadership and quality of certain players, they felt they were in a team well set-up for them and managed to make a huge contribution.

I feel although there has been some sort of improvement post Moyes and Van Gaal, the one area where Mourinho hasn't improved the team is getting the best out of his stars, as man-management is not one of his main skills. De Gea has been absolutely superb but we need way more from Pogba and Alexis and it is possible their confidence is low due to Mourinho's ''tough love'' approach. Anything less than reaching CL semifinals and winning the PL title should be considered a failure, time for Mourinho to show why he has been considered a world class manager, last chance.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Expectations

Alexis to get 15 goals plus and a load of assists having a good pre season.

Id want to see us play better football and being solid and dangerous.

A title challenge and a long run in the CL.

Weve another window to bring in more players. No excuses next year

red_john

I think we will improve again next season and will be closer to city than this year, however if we don't win anything next season I think that would be Jose's last season with us

ghagua

Hopefully members of the board see some sense and sack Mourinho, sooner the better. I am willing to go through a rebuild if we can get a proper football playing manager.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
5/6th place finish probably.
Depends a lot on squad turnover, if he gets 4 or 5 1st teamers who will fight for him you can see him doing okay, top 4.

simplyared

TBH don't know what to expect. Feel concerned about the direction our great club is heading. I think the club is coming close to having to make a massive decision which will have a big impact on what happens next season. Maybe that decision has already been made and of course it concerns our manager. However a major issue that must be addressed asap. So for my part where we finish in the league, how we fare in the CL or who we will bring to the club isn't something I have an opinion on. Not at present anyway.