"4-5-1/4-3-3 never works"

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
tbh i'm quite sick and tired of this argument.

quite apart from the fact that players win you games, not formations,it is obvious that in European competition you come up against different styles, requiring different solutions; you simply must have that quality within your squad to vary your playing style.

these are professional players we are talking about. the way the game is micromanaged these days, it is also obvious that they must have the wherewithal to cope with the roles assigned them.

today's performance was average at best in the second half. we lacked composure, failed to keep possession and played too hurriedly. a better side might have punished us, and we need to address that. admittedly this was mitigated by two or three of our most important players having rather poor nights.

well done the back four. i was really proud of them. quick in the tackle, closing the space. Benzema hardly had a sniff. a great performance from them.

i was surprised Scholesy wasn't introduced to calm things down centrally. but we squeaked it.
I was amazed he didnt come on either!

BTW Did Benzema even have a sniff all game?

acnumber9

:lol: Possibly the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. When Everton last got a CL berth they didn't even progress into the group stages. Would Everton or Villa in 2 consecutive seasons topped a group with Real Madrid? They may not be what they were 2 or 3 years ago without Malouda and Essien but definately would be clearly ahead of Villa or Everton and might even beat Liverpool in a league setting.
Everton are a far better side now than they were 3 seasons ago. In fact this is probably their best side since their last title win. Also you have already said Lyon aren't the side they once were.

I'm not saying that means Everton and Villa are better than Lyon but if Villa can get a point at Arsenal and be unbeaten against Chelsea since O'Neill took over their's absolutely no reason why over a two legged game they couldn't beat Lyon.

Bearded but no genius

Everton are a far better side now than they were 3 seasons ago. In fact this is probably their best side since their last title win. Also you have already said Lyon aren't the side they once were.

I'm not saying that means Everton and Villa are better than Lyon but if Villa can get a point at Arsenal and be unbeaten against Chelsea since O'Neill took over their's absolutely no reason why over a two legged game they couldn't beat Lyon.
This whole "x beat y, and y beat z, therefore x is better than z" fallacy really gets on my nerves.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Agreed. No chance Fergie instructed them to sit back. That would have been suicidal.

We were forced back for a number of reasons. In no particular order;

-Everyone (but especially Ron/Nani) getting increasingly careless in possession.
-Anderson doing his usual second-half Liam Miller impression
-Lyon upping their game
-Evra and Brown being forced deep when their opposite numbers started getting a bit more adventurous
Correct

The reason is they are not in Lyon's league. So dreaming of them beating Lyon is a fallacy. Lyon are way better than they

sonymobby

Chief, what's your opinion on the system we played last night? Does it work with that team? Also is the midfield of Fletcher-Carrick-Anderson the best form this 4-3-3 we want to play?

Chief, what's your opinion on the system we played last night?
Favorable. I prefer 4-2-3-1 though. It restricts Anderson less

Does it work with that team?
Yes. Mainly when Anderson si on hsi game and Ronaldo is not in selfish mode.

Also is the midfield of Fletcher-Carrick-Anderson the best form this 4-3-3 we want to play?
I don't think so. For a pure 4-3-3, the best form would include Hargreaves and Scholes alongside Carrick, with Tevez and Ronaldo flanking Rooney. Because it relies a lot on the two central play makers, who keep possession, while sitting back, releasing the ball, for the three forwards to run on to, in their free roles, up top. Yet you also need someone who can win the ball and stop the opponents from playing completely, while providing energy in midfield, who instead of going forward with it himself, will always look to give the two playmakers the ball. Which Hargreaves does best

In addition, IMO Rooney & Ronaldo work based in a 3 man attack when partnered with Tevez or Saha, not with another winger.

acnumber9

This whole "x beat y, and y beat z, therefore x is better than z" fallacy really gets on my nerves.
I agree, it doesn't prove that they would be able to beat them which is what I stated in my post. I never said getting results against Arsenal and Chelsea proved they were better, it doesn't. It does show however that they are capable of getting results against teams who are better than Lyon so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that Villa or Everton would be able to beat them over two legs.