5 stabbed in Dublin | 3 of them children

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

"I don't think he fully understands the impact of what he done. Yesterday evening, about six o'clock in the restaurant, we had a couple of ladies come in with their kids,” Mr Maxwell said.

“And they said, ‘could we speak to the guy who helped with the kids at Parnell square?’, so I brought them down speak to him and all the kids get him cards with messages on them saying ‘you’re my hero’.”
Nice.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

Irony.
Was thinking that might be the case, the inner-city schools are all packed with children from migrant backgrounds. Does it say where her parents are from?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was thinking that might be the case, the inner-city schools are all packed with children from migrant backgrounds. Does it say where her parents are from?
Father from Eastern Europe, mother from South America.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also from the article:

In June the Algerian man appeared before the District Court in Dublin charged with possessing a knife and criminal damage to a car after an incident in May. It is understood that the evidence was heard but the judge made no order. A no-order decision is usually made when a case involves serious mental health problems.

The suspect was placed under armed guard in a Dublin hospital. Detectives investigating the stabbings were waiting to interview him when doctors decided he was mentally fit. One source said: “This individual does seem to have serious mental health issues. It looks like he may have suffered some sort of psychotic episode when he attacked the children and the crèche worker.”

Sweet Square

That may be so, I don’t know, but they don’t feel tiny here. I’m living between Finglas and Ballymun and a lot of the local residents are quite shook by what’s been happening the last year around here. It’s certainly something new, I’ve lived on the northside my whole life (bar a few years abroad) and never thought I’d see this.
It did give off London riots vibe from the early 2010’s. Although still on a very smaller scale.

Don't you live in London? Maybe you're not being exposed to young Irish people enough to get this feeling, but I have certainly noticed it. It doesn't show up in voting patterns because a lot of them don't vote, I know heaps of people that don't vote, and as I said earlier in the thread, I think it's a situation that is just waiting for a Trump-like figure to appear in Irish politics for you to start seeing those trends in voting.
Yeah tbf I’ve don’t live in Dublin anymore but I’ve got family back there and used to visit. I guess I just struggle to see pass the low numbers of the far right compared to the more progressive elements.

The country has voted for a Taoiseach who is gay and the son of migrants, abortions law and gay marriage in the millions in referendum. The Palestine march recently had thousands across the country. Plus I’m not a massive fan of Sinn Féin(I’m a commie not a nationalist)but they are atm a left wing party.

Although it’s far to say I’m viewing all of this as a outsider.

You don't need a mass right wing movement. The protests are small and very aggressive. These are not the first flames. A left wing politician had a car set ablaze in his driveway and more than one property rumoured to house asylum seekers has been set on fire.

We have a well funded, extremely activist vanguard. That's all you need when you have the socially disillusioned, or kids looking for free tvs as you call it.

That is the most frequently successful formula. It's not a new formula either. Trotsky said it, "Despair has raised them to their feet, and fascism has given them a banner."

A study of Le Pen voters showed less than 15 were ideologically racist and less than 30 ideologically right wing. I'm going to get that book back and get exact stats. It was a study by post grads in Bruges.
Cheers. Would be interesting to see those stats.

Tbh I’m not even sure the fascism Trotsky talks about is even possibly currently as it came out of the conditions of industrialisation, world war 1, European colonialism and the threat of Soviet Union. What happened in Dublin imo was mostly consumerist rage. Unorganised people who saw a opportunity to get some trainers and have a fight with the Garda. Some will get arrested while the rest will continue as before. Happens all the time in other countries.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
if this whole debacle doesnt show how inept the justice system is then we are doomed to repeats of this shit again and again.

the Police need to be able to police and be happy thinking the scum are in jail