50 plus 1 is it possible?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You front the billion and I'll see what I have to put to the rest
Pretty sure if the government wants to they can just force it through without that, and the owners lose hundreds of millions. That's what the threat was, so I just hope they follow through. Nationalization or something.

Zlatans Knee

That horse has already bolted. You can't suddenly force all these foreign investors to relinquish control of their clubs.

bosnian_red

Why would the owners suddenly decide to give up control of the club?
Government can force it onto them if the threat of losing something important to the country, which is pretty much what the threat was. The whole "fan led review" was pretty much that. The hope is now it gets pushed through.

RUCK4444

Have a look at the state of the threads on this forum and ask yourself if you really want us to be owned by fans.

We can’t agree on anything, not a thing.

Sweet Square

Pretty sure if the government wants to they can just force it through without that, and the owners lose hundreds of millions. That's what the threat was, so I just hope they follow through. Nationalization or something.
Had Labour won in 2019 with a massive majority in parliament then maybe but with the current government there's no chance.

bosnian_red

Have a look at the state of the threads on this forum and ask yourself if you really want us to be owned by fans.

We can’t agree on anything, not a thing.
The fans end up pretty much just having veto rights, but the decision makers end up being selection of individuals that represent the fans and the rest of whoever provides the funding.

redpatron

Awesome let me know when you guys plan on doing this. I'm going to hit up wsb so we can rinse you fools dry when you drive up the share price.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Nationalization is a purchase at market value. Otherwise you end up in court and government will lose because no judge will create a precedent like that.

bosnian_red

Had Labour won in 2019 with a massive majority in parliament then maybe but with the current government there's no chance.

These just empty threats then? Not that I know much about the UK government, but it's definitely possible and it definitely had an impact. Hope it just gets pushed through.

bosnian_red

Nationalization is a purchase at market value. Otherwise you end up in court and government will lose because no judge will create a precedent like that.
Look at the 2 tweets I posted. Doubt they are empty threats.

cyberman

Can you inagine the Caf has majority stakeholders in United? Ole will be sacked and rehired 3 times a week

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Can the supporters buy the majority of the club?
They can if there are legislative changes brought to protect the game and change the structure of ownership. We've yet to see what the aftermath of this will be, which may impact the club's finances and ability to compete further, potentially decreasing the value some more. I made a very similar thread a little before. Albeit, not asking that question specifically, more riding the wave of legislative changes.

Boavista

These just empty threats then? Not that I know much about the UK government, but it's definitely possible and it definitely had an impact. Hope it just gets pushed through.
I don't think they were intended as empty threats, but not sure much would have come of it. Now that the threat is averted anyway, the government isn't going to do anything. Maybe they'll write a report or something with recommendations that won't be implemented.

Dante

Average bang
We're worth £3bn.

To get 50+1, the fans need to invest £1.5bn.

If it's true that we have 300 million fans worldwide, every single one would need to pay a fiver. But realistically, we don't have that many supporters nor that many who'd be willing to put their money where their mouths are.

RUCK4444

The fans end up pretty much just having veto rights, but the decision makers end up being selection of individuals that represent the fans and the rest of whoever provides the funding.
Surely we would end up in the same situation we are now disliking the people in charge?

bosnian_red

I don't think they were intended as empty threats, but not sure much would have come of it. Now that the threat is averted anyway, the government isn't going to do anything. Maybe they'll write a report or something with recommendations that won't be implemented.
Only way it happens is to bring it in that way though, and a threat like what just happened might be enough to push it through. One can dream. The one guy said the plans that they were waiting for a post-covid world to bring through had to be brought forward, so I hope they just push through.

redpatron

We're worth £3bn.

If it's true that we have 300 million fans worldwide, every single one would need to pay a fiver. But realistically, we don't have that many supporters nor that many who'd be willing to put their money where their mouths are.
we have bums asking for illegal rivers in every match day thread, you think they going to cough up a fiver for a piece ownership?

Sweet Square

Pretty much.

Labour got destroy in 2019(They ran on a manifesto which included better rights for football supporters)so they don't have the numbers in parliament to really do anything and the current tory government is trying it's best to privatise the national health service.

We aren't going to get fan ownership from the kindness of Boris Johnson and the tory party.

bosnian_red

Surely we would end up in the same situation we are now disliking the people in charge?
Not really. There is an elected board member isn't there? I don't know much about it but I think that apparently they get veto rights over truly big things. Obviously fans will never decide on transfers/hirings/sackings but existential decisions like this are very different and the reason that model works.

Edit: Here's a thread on it:

gajender

Do you realise we are talking about assets worth billions here and if it's done it can't be arbitrary it has to done for whole of the football pyramid structure good luck handling that.
British Government would be ill advised to jump into something like that just to pander to popular current discourse.

It has to be well thought out process otherwise it might face similar outcome like short-lived super league which seem to have prompted it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's absolutely an empty threat, property laws are serious thing and no one would invest in a country where government can just seize your property, particularly when it's in the context of entrepeneurial freedom which are the backbone of our economy. Now they can create laws that allow government to purchase a club on the principal of public interest but that purchase can only be at market value, no court will allow something else.

RUCK4444

Not really. There is an elected board member isn't there? I don't know much about it but I think that apparently they get veto rights over truly big things. Obviously fans will never decide on transfers/hirings/sackings but existential decisions like this are very different and the reason that model works.

Edit: Here's a thread on it:
Ah cheers bud, I'll give that a read.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I posted this in another thread, but just as applicable here:

I was a civil servant working on legislation for a couple of years, and here is why I treat the legislative route as something which needs to be taken with a pinch of salt...

It is the State Opening of Parliament on 11 May. No time to legislate before then, and a normal Parliamentary process for a Bill can take anything from six to twelve months, in addition to a pre-legislative timescale, including consultation and drafting which can take anything from 12-24 months.

Now it may be the case that a Bill is already drafted - Government departments have literally hundreds of legislative proposals 'ready to go', but usually there isn't parliamentary time to bring them into effect.

Even in this case the Government only controls the timetable of the Commons, not the Lords, meaning that if individual Lords wish to filibuster, delay or amend legislation, there is little Government can do (as this isn't a Bill relating to taxation). So immediately I think whether there are any Peers who could be influenced by the six clubs to delay or amend legislation? It isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

All in all, the ESL could be in place before legislation is passed, especially if the Government lose focus on this issue, or if the protests wane.

The best things to do would be for posters to absolutely deluge Parliamentarians, especially Select Committees, and keep up the pressure.

Please write to the Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee here: cmscom@parliament.uk

There is an equivalent Lords Committee, the Communications Committtee, which can be contacted here: holcommunications@parliament.uk

I do know from experience that emails can make a difference. The average number of public responses to a Government consultation is only TWENTY SEVEN. Even hundreds of emails can influence policy. I've written. Please consider doing so too.

Reactions: Invictus

Boavista

We're worth £3bn.

Imagine if United supporters managed to collect that much money. It would be equally impressive as it would be grotesque, if you think about how much good could be done with that much money