50 Years of Freedom in Portugal

Raven

You cant ask for critical thinking to who voted for neo liberals being middle class or lower. But anyway, it had not been only neo liberals. The left had betrayed themselves and its voters and now they are the right of 20-30 years ago. Politically speaking we are truly fecked

Anyway, i wont derail more this topic
There hasn't been a left wing government in the west for the last 40 years don't know how they've betrayed themselves. I'm also not entirely sure why you can't ask for critical thinking but anyway you're right, we shouldn't derail the thread.

Well done Portugal for chucking out the fascists, long may it continue!

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
There hasn't been a left wing government in the west for the last 40 years don't know how they've betrayed themselves. I'm also not entirely sure why you can't ask for critical thinking but anyway you're right, we shouldn't derail the thread.

Well done Portugal for chucking out the fascists, long may it continue!
Precisely. They say is the left. Or historical left parties that they are not anymore

Trequarista10

Why the need to call them losers? At least in europe, these people are people tired of not seeing any progress, feeling left out or kicked out of the middle class train because of exacerbated capitalism for decades provoked for corporation greed lobbying with the politicians.

And now we have angry people looking for a solution outside the establishment that had failed them and looking desperate at anything. They are not losers they are desperate. And fascism capitalize on this via populism and blaming others. Sure there are nutters and stupid people among them. But the majority of those voters are fed up
100%

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Largest number of people ever in a 25th of april celebration. No doubt a reaction to the last elections, hopefully this crushes the illusion these far right proto fascists somehow represent a silent majority. They don't, they are a minority and we need to keep fighting to keep them that way.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I've heard nothing but great things, I must try and get over there in the nearish future.
It's a great city. Safe, cheap (for most foreign strandards, sadly not in rents for locals), great weather, food, lots to do, lots of history. Just don't visit any far right social media, otherwise you'll find out the city is invaded by muslims.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Largest number of people ever in a 25th of april celebration. No doubt a reaction to the last elections, hopefully this crushes the illusion these far right proto fascists somehow represent a silent majority. They don't, they are a minority and we need to keep fighting to keep them that way.
Silent Majority is one of the biggest BS that I ever heard and it is being said in every single country. They definitely have a script

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sad that the world is sliding back into fascistic nonsense.
Yup. It’s a formula that sadly works well as it plays into some of most basic (and lowest) instincts - in some places more than others of course.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Not just the west. We’re neck deep in it too.
I assume is global but I am not as familiar. I read here and there the India thread but I can only grasp a bit of it. And seems that way. Grim times. We all think that we live in an exceptional moment, that something global is going to happen. I thought so 10 and 20 years ago and fortunately nothing major global happen besides the economy. I guess is feeling special? but I truely believe that we are leaving in a pre global conflict similar of the WWIII. Hope my gut is wrong again on this as usual. But regardless of global conflict or not, we are not going into the good direction

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What a day it was! There are no official numbers but I had never seen so many people on the streets to celebrate this day, and older people seemed to agreed. I am sure the results of the last elections were a wake up call for many and hopefully this spirit translates to the next elections.

Many parents taking their kids and lots of places where old people were telling the kids the stories of how life was before the revolution. Hopefully it caused an impact and they grow up not taking the freedom they have now for granted.

Also very cool seeing lots of immigrants, I noticed many of them can't even speak portuguese very well, but they saw this as a big show of support. I know a few brazilians and angolans who were taken aback by the last elections results, but lots of signs yesterday saying everyone is welcome in Lisbon.

Celeste, the carnation lady was also there and there's now a petition to give her name to a street in Lisbon.

That's why this is my favorite day of the year. Being in that sea of people really raised my spirits, so my advice to all of you, when there's a demonstration out there for a cause you believe in, get out there amongst people who think like you, the optimism really helps.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
That looks amazing. Seems like portugal freedom day mingled with a anti fascist peaceful party