Gio: 1. PLATINI 2. SOUNESS 3. HANSEN

antohan: 1. FALCAO 2. BONIEK 3. SCHUSTER

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ

Polaroid: 1. RUMMENIGGE 2. KEMPES

Crustanoid

Agree, I was in two minds as to whether to pick him because he sure made football look easy (which allowed him to be such an unfit twat :lol:).

Superb player, great to watch, as is someone like Riquelme, but I just can't fathom having an immobile/lackadaisical type in this sort of game. With a larger squad you would want him but with a short squad as you start off here he can limit options.
If you're going with the ethos of this game being played in 1982 players didn't move about as much anyway. Especially in top-level international games. There's actual stats on miles run per game which back this up somewhere. Socrates, therefore, is as valid a pick as anyone else - in fact one could argue that he is more valid than others as he is suited to that tempo

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
If you're going with the ethos of this game being played in 1982 players didn't move about as much anyway. Especially in top-level international games. There's actual stats on miles run per game which back this up somewhere. Socrates, therefore, is as valid a pick as anyone else - in fact one could argue that he is more valid than others as he is suited to that tempo
It's really about personnel. The Dutch didn't just faff around the pitch waiting for the ball to be given to them, did they?

Again, he was a special player, but he does dictate the tempo for the rest of your team somewhat. As great a show as Brazil were, Italy not letting them have their way and play the way they wanted was a big contributor to their downfall.

antohan

:lol: To be fair to him I have Keegan and Hansen would have been my next pick...then again I do balance it out with Robbo. :devil:
You do have the makings of a cracking side indeed and one that should get a lot of votes.

It was always going to be the case of many Pool players featuring, for obvious reasons, I just wondered who would be the first to bite the bullet. If we were on RAWK all their players would be gone by now. As it is, the balance is about right and most will remember these players with respect (and the resident dippers will vote in droves). Not bad marketing.

As I said at the beginning, I'm going for a good side, but with little marketing potential. Suicidal yes, but hopefully I'll enjoy the ride and not get many purely "Who the f*** is that?"-based votes against along the way.

Crustanoid

It's really about personnel. The Dutch didn't just faff around the pitch waiting for the ball to be given to them, did they?

Again, he was a special player, but he does dictate the tempo for the rest of your team somewhat. As great a show as Brazil were, Italy not letting them have their way and play the way they wanted was a big contributor to their downfall.
Which comes down to the tactics and team personnel more than the presence and relative pace of one player.

One relatively immobile but highly intelligent and effective player with the right team-mates / tactical set-up might easily negate a team full of pace, especially the way the game was played in 1982

antohan

Which comes down to the tactics and team personnel more than the presence and relative pace of one player.

One relatively immobile but highly intelligent and effective player with the right team-mates / tactical set-up might easily negate a team full of pace, especially the way the game was played in 1982
Sure, but in a way you are planting your flag in a way which affects all your future picks. Which is fine, your call, but risky when others are likely vying for all your "perfect" players.

I have picked players who give me plenty of options so far, but my team is really going to end up being about what I can get hold of in the next 2-3 picks. It does my head in as it is, it would be even more difficult with a player of Socrates' ilk.

Not having a go at the player or how you decide to go about picking, just expressed why I found it pretty much impossible to pick Socrates in the first round, despite how much I rate him and enjoyed watching him as a player.

i.e. Brwned asked if he was alone thinking he wasn't much and I was saying he is up there with the best but a difficult pick to make early on in a game like this.

antohan

:mad::mad:

Crustanoid knows this was my next pick
:lol: I was positive you were going for either of those two and they were exactly the two I was juggling with (+another I reckon may last until the next round).

It really was a call over which I wanted most and with Boniek up there Schuster's movement and slide rule passes were irresistible.

Crustanoid

Not completely unrelated to my justification above I'm going for a skilful front player, Dalglish

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Jayvin: 1. SCIREA 2. FERNANDEZ 3. HODDLE

Duffy: 1. ROBBO 2. KEEGAN 3. BLOKHIN

TDon69: 1. ZICO 2. TIGANA 3. TRESOR

Interval Level: 1. PASSARELLA 2. ROSSI 3. BREITNER

Crustanoid: 1. SOCRATES 2. GENTILE 3. DALGLISH

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI 3. GIRESSE

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Vierchowod

On Vierchowod, Maradona eulogised: “He was an animal, he had muscles to the eyelashes. It was easy to pass by him, but then when I raised my head, he was in front of me again. I would have to pass him two or three more times and then I would pass the ball because I couldn’t stand him anymore.”
He famously said in 1999: “I used to be much quicker than everyone else – now I’m just as quick as them.”

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ 3. VIERCHOWOD

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman

Vierchowod

He was my next pick. I hate you. The end.

antohan

Hey, I waited up till like 4am for people to take their picks, well more than six hours, then mine gets passed by, without even a second thought? The cheek of you people! :p

Can I go now or what?
Yeah I missed Hansen, that damn Gio fella stole my go and my player! :D
Good sport, half of us would have had a fit :lol:
Ahh he was only following the rules, sure.
He was my next pick. I hate you. The end.
He's cracking up! :lol:

POLAROID WHERE ARE YOU????!!!!!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Just as well Brwned picked Vierchowod. The Italian was my next pick and had I taken him one before TDon, he'd have gone radio rental.

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
let's wait for Polaroid, after all he could not PM his picks to anyone (being the last on the list)

and in general let us wait for people.

seeing as i'll have a busy day tomorrow I've PMed my pick to antohan

antohan

let's wait for Polaroid, after all he could not PM his picks to anyone (being the last on the list)

and in general let us wait for people.

seeing as i'll have a busy day tomorrow I've PMed my pick to antohan
Some moron drove his van into my car -while parked- so I'm working from home (UK noon-22:00) until it gets fixed. I've been online for 7 hours since my pick, so we could have done this a lot quicker!

Not that people shouldn't have the time to think and rejig subject to other picks, particularly at this stage. But if anyone is set on one player (and I'm not before them, obviously) feel free to PM me.

antohan

Christ sake Polaroid, put us all out of our misery with your next double-whammy

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Mate, you do realise this is a United forum, right? :lol:
I'll lose the anti-scouse vote and the Daily-Mail-Platini-is-a-dirty-frog brigade vote.

Aside from the fact they were both the best in the business at what they did, there's a familiarity factor in the two Liverpool players which might be helpful after getting stung last time out with under-rated quality like Naybet and Makaay.

Crustanoid

Souness was as good as anyone in his position as was Hansen at that time. For Christs sake look at their trophy haul. I was surprised KKK, despite his unparalleled cnutishness as a human being wasn't snapped up earlier to be honest

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Souness was as good as anyone in his position as was Hansen at that time. For Christs sake look at their trophy haul. I was surprised KKK, despite his unparalleled cnutishness as a human being wasn't snapped up earlier to be honest
Definitely.

But I always think who the individual is matters to people when they pick these teams.

Polaroid

Polaroid: 1. RUMMENIGGE 2. KEMPES 3. CEREZO 4. CEULEMANS

Crustanoid

Both good shouts. Ceulemans is one of those players who was absolutely one of the best at the time but is not often mentioned when people talk about the era

Polaroid

posting on behalf of Brwned

Brwned said:
My next pick is:

1. Antonogni

Adored by many, Antognoni was a silky smooth, elegant playmaker during the 70’s and 80’s for la Viola. Making his debut as an 18-year old with the club he would go on to captain, lifting the Coppa Italia just three years later. For a player of such quality and finesse who became the club’s emblem, he remained a down-to-earth figure always playing for the team, as former colleague Giancarlo De Sisti noted: ‘Giancarlo was a great, not just as a player, but as a man. You knew he was world class. But rather than think he was a primadonna, he listened to all and took advice from those above and below him’. Antognoni was also part of the victorious 1982 Italy World Cup team, although unfortunately missed the final due to injury. During his time in Florence he played over 400 games, scoring 61-goals in total, and such is the clubs love for him they recently celebrated ‘Antognoni’s Day’ in the city, 24-years after he wore the famous purple shirt for the last time.

Polaroid

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ 3. VIERCHOWOD 4. ANTOGNONI

antohan

On behalf of Nani Nana

Nani Nana: 1. MCGRATH 2. TARDELLI 3. GIRESSE 4. ROGER MILLA

Brwned: 1. NEESKENS 2. HUGO SANCHEZ 3. VIERCHOWOD 4. ANTOGNONI

Art

Art the artist
It's insane how you lot know so much about 50's football. I'm googling each and every one of the names and reading about them. :D

antohan

I'll lose the anti-scouse vote and the Daily-Mail-Platini-is-a-dirty-frog brigade vote.

Aside from the fact they were both the best in the business at what they did, there's a familiarity factor in the two Liverpool players which might be helpful after getting stung last time out with under-rated quality like Naybet and Makaay.
Indeed, I had both Hansen and Souness up there as top picks. Your first three are indeed very very good.

I would just feel dirty singing their praises!