6 realistic signings to improve us?

settembrini

Jarrod Bowen would be a realistic and extremely good signing for us.

1. He fits the profile of players that Solskjaer likes to sign. Another young talented British player like James and Wan-Bissaka.

2. He should be attainable. He's a PL level player playing at a club who are going nowhere in the Championship. If he doesn't sign a new deal by January his contract will have only 18 months left and their manager is already talking about his future being somewhere else. Last month McCann said "I don’t think the club would ever stand in Jarrod’s way if a bigger club came in with the right value that the club want."

3. His best position is our weakest. He's a left footed right winger.

4. We need goalscorers. His best quality is goal scoring. He established himself in the Hull team aged 20 in the 17/18 season and scored 15 in 44 games. Last season he went up to 22 in 46. This season he already has 5 in 12. So he's still young and improving but is already producing very good numbers in a poor team. Hull were 18th in his first season, 13th last year and are currently 16th.

5. A good example of the gap in quality between this player and his team is that in each of the last two seasons he has finished top scorer and won both their supporters and players POTY awards. He was also in the Championship team of the season last year. If you compare him to our own James then when they were both playing at the same level Bowen was showing himself to be the better player by far. And James has already shown himself to be one our better attackers!

6. He isn't just a goal scorer. When you watch him play the first thing you notice about him is actually his work rate. He presses and tracks back extremely well. If you compare him to players he would be competing against for a place in our team only Pereira makes more tackles and nobody makes as many interceptions. Work rate is a quality that Solskjaer has repeatedly talked about wanting in new players and for us as a team and Bowen has it in spades.

7. While goals and work rate are his biggest strengths he has other qualities. He has decent pace and skill, not elite but certainly better than what we have been used to from Pereira, Lingard and Mata over the last couple of years. His biggest weakness is probably his passing. He is decently creative but no better than that and he does lose the ball to much. If he was older this would be a real concern but at 22 there's no reason he cannot improve in this regard.

Now I know everyone wants Sancho for the right, I want him too! But that's an unrealistic transfer even with if we finish the rest of the season strongly. Which we won't do with Pereira as our starting right winger. Bowen is obtainable in January and would give us an immediate boost to our weakest position and add goals to a team which seems to lack a single finisher apart from Martial. Plus he fits perfectly with the principles by which Solskjaer is attempting to rebuild us. Overall in terms of talent, suitability for United and ease of acquisition I am struggling to think of a more obviously good AND realistic signing for us.

dev1l

I don't rate McTominay higher than Ndidi at the present moment. His stats defensively are below Ndidi & his passing is not as good.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to be better but he is not there yet.
Ndidi s first touch is horrible though..

settembrini

Also here's a 20 minute highlight reel of Bowen from last season which is way, way better than your usual youtube video in terms of assessing a player. It more or less just shows all his attacking involvement over the course of the season, not just the dozen or so best moments that can use to make any player look world class.

NickSantigo

1. He fits the profile of players that Solskjaer likes to sign. Another young talented British player like James and Wan-Bissaka.

2. He should be attainable. He's a PL level player playing at a club who are going nowhere in the Championship. If he doesn't sign a new deal by January his contract will have only 18 months left and their manager is already talking about his future being somewhere else. Last month McCann said "I don’t think the club would ever stand in Jarrod’s way if a bigger club came in with the right value that the club want."

4. We need goalscorers. His best quality is goal scoring. He established himself in the Hull team aged 20 in the 17/18 season and scored 15 in 44 games. Last season he went up to 22 in 46. This season he already has 5 in 12. So he's still young and improving but is already producing very good numbers in a poor team. Hull were 18th in his first season, 13th last year and are currently 16th.

5. A good example of the gap in quality between this player and his team is that in each of the last two seasons he has finished top scorer and won both their supporters and players POTY awards. He was also in the Championship team of the season last year. If you compare him to our own James then when they were both playing at the same level Bowen was showing himself to be the better player by far. And James has already shown himself to be one our better attackers!

6. He isn't just a goal scorer. When you watch him play the first thing you notice about him is actually his work rate. He presses and tracks back extremely well. If you compare him to players he would be competing against for a place in our team only Pereira makes more tackles and nobody makes as many interceptions. Work rate is a quality that Solskjaer has repeatedly talked about wanting in new players and for us as a team and Bowen has it in spades.

7. While goals and work rate are his biggest strengths he has other qualities. He has decent pace and skill, not elite but certainly better than what we have been used to from Pereira, Lingard and Mata over the last couple of years. His biggest weakness is probably his passing. He is decently creative but no better than that and he does lose the ball to much. If he was older this would be a real concern but at 22 there's no reason he cannot improve in this regard.

Now I know everyone wants Sancho for the right, I want him too! But that's an unrealistic transfer even with if we finish the rest of the season strongly. Which we won't do with Pereira as our starting right winger. Bowen is obtainable in January and would give us an immediate boost to our weakest position and add goals to a team which seems to lack a single finisher apart from Martial. Plus he fits perfectly with the principles by which Solskjaer is attempting to rebuild us. Overall in terms of talent, suitability for United and ease of acquisition I am struggling to think of a more obviously good AND realistic signing for us.
Are you his agent?

MrSingh2002

1. Sancho
2. Piatek
3. Rakitic/Kroos/Thiago
4. Alonso

Sancho is the one for our right wing without question and we need to pay what it will take for Dortmund to do what they always do which is sell.

Piatek is the world class striker we are after. We missed out on Lewandowski and that ship has sailed but Piatek is the future and AC Milan shouldn't be able to compete with us if we go after him in the summer/January.

Central Midfield is the only position on the pitch where I don't think we can afford to go for a young player with potential for now and we need some experience and immediate quality in there now. I feel we need to go for Rakitic who has been displaced at Barca but will still be head and shoulders above anything we have now or could get in the near future. I can't see Kroos leaving Real but it would be worth a go if he fancies being part of the Premier League and a new challenge.

Left back is now the weakest link of our defence. Shaw has been here half a decade and is still out of shape and unable to reach the levels defensiveley or offensively that should see him be a regular here. If he stays its as backup to a new left back. I'd go for Alonso at Chelsea who is now 2nd choice but again alot better than what we have now.

De Gea
AWB Tuanzebe Maguire Alonso
Rakitic
McTominay Pogba
Sancho Piatek James

Romero
Dalot Lindelof Rojo Shaw
Garner Matic Fred
Lingard Rashford Martial
With four signings you now have on paper a Champions League club atleast. A side which should aim for a top 4 finish at worst. Not saying Ole could achieve this but with 4 new players and a good manager it would be easily doable.

OUT
Young
Jones
Smalling

You now would have players like Lingard and Rashford having the wakeup call they need and can settle for competing with Sancho and Piatek to start. With Martial and James alternating on the left wing.

Stepney73

Apologies if it's been said before but....

In

New owners
New CEO
New manager

Out

See above.

Fosu-Mens

Also here's a 20 minute highlight reel of Bowen from last season which is way, way better than your usual youtube video in terms of assessing a player. It more or less just shows all his attacking involvement over the course of the season, not just the dozen or so best moments that can use to make any player look world class.

His decisionmaking and movement is really good. And he can pick a pass. Worth it to spend £20m on him given that at worst he would be a good squadplayer and adding depth to our squad.

passing-wind

It's nice to see that there are fans who watch everything outside the flavour of the month signings who would have a positive impact. While Bowen is the correct profile I'm unsure he has the attributes to make it to the level we require to bridge the top four gap. I personally would prefer David Brooks given he's got league experiance and is criminally underrated. I think if we had someone like Poch to nurture these young players they would develop on a more consistent basis.

OleGunnar20

If we're going to continue with a 4231:

Chukwueze
Edouard
Olmo

If we're switching to 433:

Chukwueze
Ascacibar
Edouard

All very gettable, even in January id imagine? All playing at far less prestigious clubs than ours, presumably on comparatively low wages.

Imagine grabbing those four for, what, ~£120m combined? Value for money id say.

settembrini

It's nice to see that there are fans who watch everything outside the flavour of the month signings who would have a positive impact. While Bowen is the correct profile I'm unsure he has the attributes to make it to the level we require to bridge the top four gap. I personally would prefer David Brooks given he's got league experiance and is criminally underrated. I think if we had someone like Poch to nurture these young players they would develop on a more consistent basis.
I like Brooks too. He would have been a good punt a la James when he was still at Sheffield. Unfortunately Bournemouth hold all the cards now, he's very happy at the club and signed a new long term contract at the end of last season. If they did sell him it would take at least Wan-Bissaka money and they wouldn't want to do it mid-season. With Bowen I think we could easily get him January for not much more than we paid for James. I understand he is not a proven top quality player but given our current starting right winger is Pereira I am confident he would improve us. If not then we will have lost little and can reassess the position in the summer when there will be more options.

The Irish Connection

Good proactive post. I don’t watch a lot of the championship but it’s a strong league and there are proven good players to be found there. I remember Maddison’s first game in the prem was against us and he looked quality from the start. John mcginn this year and of course dan James is looking decent.
I would be confident he would be our best option for right wing and wouldn’t cost a lot as you said.

crackers0seven

Marco Raco or partley for DM. Dani Olmo for wide option and haland for forward option(if not available) I'd take Mario mandzukic as a short term option til haland is on the market. Think we need someone physical as a option up front. Rashers, martial and greenwood are all very alike in stature. Like the whole recruiting young players like AWB and James. But hope it isn't just British Young players we are in for because we can get young technical better cheaper options abroad. Would love sancho though, but we would pay through roof for him, and us and dortumd players don't seem to work out :(

Aouer-United

Marco Raco or partley for DM. Dani Olmo for wide option and haland for forward option(if not available) I'd take Mario mandzukic as a short term option til haland is on the market. Think we need someone physical as a option up front. Rashers, martial and greenwood are all very alike in stature. Like the whole recruiting young players like AWB and James. But hope it isn't just British Young players we are in for because we can get young technical better cheaper options abroad. Would love sancho though, but we would pay through roof for him, and us and dortumd players don't seem to work out :(
Marc Roca is the only midfielder I want to sign for DM. I was really glad that City signed Rodri because they didn't realize how much Roca can offer more than Rodri with his many types of different passing and the fact he's very ambidextrous that is uncommon for midfielders to pass with their prefered foot as good as equally as their weak foot. If they had to sign Roca instead of Rodri, they would have superiorly midfield that evate them to the next level against pressing team, I'd be wary of City signing Roca than Rodri.

I described him in my preview post on this thread if you want to read.

I think signing Dani Olmo is better, even for as first XI or came off the bench, he's really decent versite player for us who can offer us in many roles. I've compared him to B Silva because they both can play in midfield and on the wing, they're both hard-working who like to chase the ball and press them all day and good on ball, you can see how Olmo play with ball as if it was glued to his feet.

manuchamp88

Top 6 side at best, but it's realistic and better than what we have at the moment.

NoPace

It's either 2 midfielders and a left back or 3 midfielders, for me. Martial and Rashford are frustrating strikers who have no idea what to do against packed in defences but some of that can be compensated for tactically and also I'm not sure teams are that willing to sit deep against us considering how poor we are.

This is the first season I've found myself watching basically only (though 7-8 games a weekend) Prem, so I can't speak to names that actually make sense financially since those probably aren't Prem players, but it's 2 creative midfielders, one who is best as a RW and then a 3rd midfielder to sit deep.

Did see Partey absolutely boss the Madrid derby and look the right kidn of player to support Pogba with a more defensive brief, so I'll say Partey, McGinn or Van De Beek to provide legs and goalscoring from midfield and as I've written many times I have no idea why our day 1 priority in June wasn't to court Ziyech for the right wing job.

Jibbs

If we are to sign only 3 players I would sign Håland, Osimhen and Ndidi. Given we are not selling any if our midfielders except Matic.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
I’d doubt Leicester would sell anyone in January. We’ve got into the habit of releasing one first time player a season.

On our players, it’s a difficult one at times. We’ve got players with potential, that need to kick on a bit.

Chilwell is far better offensively, than as a defender. He’s like a young Kyle Walker. His crossing is abject and to be quite frank, at times embarrassingly bad. It’s almost hit and hope. He’s been the one player that hasn’t really kicked in this season.

N’didi is a destroyer, as all the stats show. Great engine and has just started studying a degree in the city. His major downfall, is his passing ability. So many don’t find the target. Someone needs to buy him a radar to be honest.

Maddison is our poster boy and plays up to it. We’ll roll with it, sitting on cars, fancy back packs, sacking off the England squad to go to the casino! Joking aside, he’s talented but looks like a fish out of water when played anywhere but central.

Tielemans is just kicking into form. So, so, so much talent. The fact we got him permanently still amazes me. He’d slot into most teams. It’s taking him a while to get going this season, however he’s starting to go through the gears. I personally rate him higher than Maddison.

Soyuncu was our Maguire replacement. It’s clear that he needs someone like Evans next to him and is fast becoming a bit of a cult hero at Leicester. He just needs game time and he’ll develop. Can be a tad rash at times though!

Choudhury, great passer, great engine, building a reputation as a dirty player for putting those tackles in, that take one for the team. N’didi keeps him out of the team realistically, however he’ll develop into a fine player. I can see him pushing for that position in the England team at the base of a diamond.

Ricardo for me, is still our best player. So under-rated. I’m surprised that you didn’t look at him, as he’s Chillwell with an end product. He’s been linked to the Spanish big boys and you can see why they’re looking at him. He’s improved massively since joining from Porto. You got Dalot, we got Ricardo. I think we got the better deal!?

We actually have a few others knocking around.

Benkovic who the Celtic fans rated as good as VVD in Scotland. Unfortunately he seems to spend most of his time with the physios.

Grey who we turned down £30,000,000 from Bournemouth, which seems crazy now. He’s actually regressed as a player since arriving from Birmingham. So skilful, so much pace, no footballing brain.

Ienchancho is still here and will never replace Vardy. Manchester City has our pants down but you can see that their is a player in there. He just looks devoid of confidence on the pitch.

Preat is the new boy and looks decent. I see him as the long term replacement for Maddison, who I’m sure will most likely join you guys in the summer.

Aouer-United

Top 6 side at best, but it's realistic and better than what we have at the moment.
I'd swap Pogba's role for Maddison, Maddison's low gravity would allow him to roam anywhere easily in the penalty box and progress ball. We can utilize Pogba's passing from deeper and Maddison on flanks or near penalty box to cross over the penalty box. Pogba's powerful pressure in midfield shouldn't be underestimated, opponents would concentrate more on Pogba and must mark him tightly, they know how much he can pose threats. Also, It'd be more difficult to challenge Pogba for physical and aerial than the likes of Mata and David Silva, etc.

I'd move James or Rashford to RW for cutback, cross and square pass, which I think they may be comfortable doing this stuff on right flank than on left flank because of his right foot, I'd want to play left-footed on the left flank to do the same thing as James & Rashford so that would increase our creativity and reduce our dependence on goal source from Pogba & Maddison's passing, gifted possession by defenders, counter-attack and penalty

Mctominay for Marc Roca so we can control the midfield better and he has only 36m release clause.

Fosu-Mens

Marc Roca is the only midfielder I want to sign for DM. I was really glad that City signed Rodri because they didn't realize how much Roca can offer more than Rodri with his many types of different passing and the fact he's very ambidextrous that is uncommon for midfielders to pass with their prefered foot as good as equally as their weak foot. If they had to sign Roca instead of Rodri, they would have superiorly midfield that evate them to the next level against pressing team, I'd be wary of City signing Roca than Rodri.

I described him in my preview post on this thread if you want to read.
Roca is the one to get if we are going to sign a midfielder and given that he has a release clause at £36m, the only reasoning for us having difficulties in getting him would be Marc Roca himself. With his complete skillset as a midfielder he would suit most systems, function in different roles and mitigation the impact of injuries in midfield. Would cost a lot less than Declan Rice, while being a far better midfielder.

Chukweze should also be evaluated as a potential target given that the number of games for his national team removes the hindrance of getting a work permit(why he did not go to Arsenal some years back). While he is a completely different player than Sancho, he would suit a counterattacking team and if we get more players able to pick a pass, he would also be able to function against balanced defenses.

Hopefully the people at the club involved with transfers are looking for players outside the British Isles.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

Seems like a nice lad as well. Was meant to go to Cardiff after the Sala incident, but decided against it for obvious reasons. He was one I thought of in "the next James" thread.

Ekeke

Obviously the answer is nobody as the window isnt open. But at this point in time I believe there are a lot of players who could improve us back to a europa league team rather than the midtable team we are currently. And I dont think they'll cost a huge amount either.

If we're looking at January signings then I'd look at bottom half of the table teams. Some people like Doucoure, I guess I'd be open to us signing him as CM depth for a modest fee. He's been crap this season like the rest of Watford but maybe swapping him in and Fred or Matic out of the squad would work out. This would absolutely be a punt though so the fee would have to represent that.

Deulofeu is back to looking very average. On last season's form he'd be a decent shout at 25 years old, but he seems to blow cold more than hot so I'd give him a miss

At Norwich though I'd be keeping a close eye on Buendia. He's playing on the right consistantly which is something we havent looked at when it comes to winger transfers for a very long time for some reason. And each time we sign someone who prefers playing on the left they never look very convincing on the right. He does. At 22 he has time on his side and if we took him mid season hopefully the fee isnt inflated because he hasnt had a full good season in the premier league yet.

Pukki is 29. There's no chance Norwich would let go of both during the season. I think he'd absolutely score us a bunch of goals which we need but longterm its Buendia who has more chance of progressing with the club.

Richarlison would be expensive. Everton are in the relegation places so maybe they'd decide to cash in with the idea that, with Richarlison they're relegation fodder but if they sell him and buy 2 or 3 well performing players maybe they take themselves out of relegation trouble this season.

Digne - Everton bought him for 20 million euros. Again given their situation and how having him hasnt helped them stay out of relegation trouble maybe they'd look to cash in. He'd be good competition and backup for Shaw, whilst being better going forward. He's also a good setpiece taker and it would be handy to have a left footer for those, since Fred isnt performing

Southampton, well Bednarek hasnt had a good start to the season. Vestergard is performing better in the backline at the moment. Neither would seem like a good signing at the moment. Redmond maybe a possibility for right wing and up front with 6 goals and 4 assists last season. Just 1 goal so far this season though

Newcastle - I'd take Schar to compete with Lindelof, Maguire and Tuanzabe at CB, or in a back 3. Sean Longstaff hasnt played that well this season, did well against us but I feel like we made Newcastle look much better than they are by having a terrible performance in midfield. Keep an eye on Matt Longstaff though, if he plays like he did against us for another 20 games he'd be a good one

Aston Villa - Obviously McGinn, Villa would surely cash in and he'd be worth a good amount given how quickly he's taken to the premier league. He's a good player but not a perfect one. Not the man to control midfield for us with passing.

Grealish is the other side, much more likely to help us play a passing game and have some offensive control over midfield. But he isnt as good as McGinn is overall.

Brighton and Sheffield United work well as a team but I'm not sure I'd be tempted to take any of their individual players, even though collectively they're above all the players listed above in the league.

Fosu-Mens

Obviously the answer is nobody as the window isnt open. But at this point in time I believe there are a lot of players who could improve us back to a europa league team rather than the midtable team we are currently. And I dont think they'll cost a huge amount either.

If we're looking at January signings then I'd look at bottom half of the table teams. Some people like Doucoure, I guess I'd be open to us signing him as CM depth for a modest fee. He's been crap this season like the rest of Watford but maybe swapping him in and Fred or Matic out of the squad would work out. This would absolutely be a punt though so the fee would have to represent that.

Deulofeu is back to looking very average. On last season's form he'd be a decent shout at 25 years old, but he seems to blow cold more than hot so I'd give him a miss

At Norwich though I'd be keeping a close eye on Buendia. He's playing on the right consistantly which is something we havent looked at when it comes to winger transfers for a very long time for some reason. And each time we sign someone who prefers playing on the left they never look very convincing on the right. He does. At 22 he has time on his side and if we took him mid season hopefully the fee isnt inflated because he hasnt had a full good season in the premier league yet.

Pukki is 29. There's no chance Norwich would let go of both during the season. I think he'd absolutely score us a bunch of goals which we need but longterm its Buendia who has more chance of progressing with the club.

Richarlison would be expensive. Everton are in the relegation places so maybe they'd decide to cash in with the idea that, with Richarlison they're relegation fodder but if they sell him and buy 2 or 3 well performing players maybe they take themselves out of relegation trouble this season.

Digne - Everton bought him for 20 million euros. Again given their situation and how having him hasnt helped them stay out of relegation trouble maybe they'd look to cash in. He'd be good competition and backup for Shaw, whilst being better going forward. He's also a good setpiece taker and it would be handy to have a left footer for those, since Fred isnt performing

Southampton, well Bednarek hasnt had a good start to the season. Vestergard is performing better in the backline at the moment. Neither would seem like a good signing at the moment. Redmond maybe a possibility for right wing and up front with 6 goals and 4 assists last season. Just 1 goal so far this season though

Newcastle - I'd take Schar to compete with Lindelof, Maguire and Tuanzabe at CB, or in a back 3. Sean Longstaff hasnt played that well this season, did well against us but I feel like we made Newcastle look much better than they are by having a terrible performance in midfield. Keep an eye on Matt Longstaff though, if he plays like he did against us for another 20 games he'd be a good one

Aston Villa - Obviously McGinn, Villa would surely cash in and he'd be worth a good amount given how quickly he's taken to the premier league. He's a good player but not a perfect one. Not the man to control midfield for us with passing.

Grealish is the other side, much more likely to help us play a passing game and have some offensive control over midfield. But he isnt as good as McGinn is overall.

Brighton and Sheffield United work well as a team but I'm not sure I'd be tempted to take any of their individual players, even though collectively they're above all the players listed above in the league.
Buying from EPL clubs is not a feasible solution with the amount of players we need. Also, there is a question of quality. When the teams are relegated, then we should evaluate the situation again and see if some of the players relegated would suit our squad or potentially improve our starting 11.

Champagne Football

- Kalvin Phillips of Leeds - The Yorkshire Pirlo,
- Callum Wilson,
- Steven Bergwijn or Samuel Chukwueze
(Let's face it, no Sancho without top 4),

Send Garner and Greenwood on loan to the Championship in the meantime.

Last edited:

Ekeke

Buying from EPL clubs is not a feasible solution with the amount of players we need. Also, there is a question of quality. When the teams are relegated, then we should evaluate the situation again and see if some of the players relegated would suit our squad or potentially improve our starting 11.
That would be half a season too late to save our season. The players I mentioned positively are the ones performing well even though their teams arent, so they obviously have the quality to improve us.

dev1l

The biggest issue that most likely none of the players we seem to have targetted: Sancho, Maddison, Chilwell and Rice will be available.
The club knows it must strengthen the team so it has to turn either:
- to pay exaggerated transfer fee,

- sign relatively unknown championship or inferior league players

- sign unwanted players at continental clubs (eg Mandzuikic, Bale, Rakitic)

Not the nicest of the situations tbh

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fabian Ruiz - need a midfield after losing Fellaini & Herrera.
Werner - clear enough that we need another forward or goal scorer.
Chilwell - a left back. Moving on from Young.

danamann

Milot Rashica - a pacy winger who can get you goals and assists and on top of that can operate on either wing or behind the striker. He was amazing in the second half of last season for us, scoring important goals. He started this season really well with 2 goals and 1 assist in 3 appearances despite being hampered by an injury.

I would love for us to keep him but Werder was only ever going to be a stopover on his way to the very top. I think a transfer this winter period is unlikely but not impossible. Either way he is a quality player that would strengthen any team in my opinion.

jackal&hyde

The Athletic are implying we might be in for 4 players this january. Interesting.

VanGaalyTime

The Athletic are implying we might be in for 4 players this january. Interesting.
Good to hear. That's the least amount of players we need to finish in the top 4 this season. If we can scrape a few wins before January we can still do well this season.