60 Years ago today Sir Bobby played his 1st game for Utd

pacifictheme

One of the greatest footballers of all time for me. Under rated in general, never gets a mention in best ever debates, but hes clearly up there.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
One of the greatest footballers of all time for me. Under rated in general, never gets a mention in best ever debates, but hes clearly up there.
It's because he was playing at a time when footballs were stuffed bulls testicles and a dribble was hitting the ball with your front toe and run to get it before the other guy gets it.

Technique? That wasn't even in the vocabulary :lol: Had John Hatson been playing back then he'd be known as the most gifted player in the game of football.

I always feel sick from hearing these old timers talk as if they were on the same level then as some of the guys now are. They were more like active people. One day it'd be football, the next they'd be competing in fencing.

Another thing that makes me laugh is the whole age mentality. You were considered a school buy long into your 30's. Guys playing football were like 50 years old because of that mentality. Just watch movies with guys like John Wayne, feck, he's picking up women in their 20's and having lunch with their parents who are like even younger than him. Real man - feck that - just OLD AND TOTALLY LOST CONCEPT OF HIS AGE. Same goes for these footballers - they wouldn't even last 15 minutes on the pitch today :lol:

So for me it's a big no. I won't celebrate this much. I recognize the achievement and think he did good for the club, but that was then and I don't see any hero gloria at all. There's no way I'd put up a poster with someone having their shorts 10 cm above their belly button like some freaking diaper.

Last edited:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
It's because he was playing at a time when footballs were stuffed bulls testicles and a dribble was hitting the ball with your front toe and run to get it before the other guy gets it.

Technique? That wasn't even in the vocabulary :lol: Had John Hatson been playing back then he'd be known as the most gifted player in the game of football.

I always feel sick from hearing these old timers talk as if they were on the same level then as some of the guys now are. They were more like active people. One day it'd be football, the next they'd be competing in fencing.

Another thing that makes me laugh is the whole age mentality. You were considered a school buy long into your 30's. Guys playing football were like 50 years old because of that mentality. Just watch movies with guys like John Wayne, feck, he's picking up women in their 20's and having lunch with their parents who are like even younger than him. Real man - feck that - just OLD AND TOTALLY LOST CONCEPT OF HIS AGE. Same goes for these footballers - they wouldn't even last 15 minutes on the pitch today :lol:

So for me it's a big no. I won't celebrate this much. I recognize the achievement and think he did good for the club, but that was then and I don't see any hero gloria at all. There's no way I'd put up a poster with someone having their shorts 10 cm above their belly button like some freaking diaper.
If Bobby Charlton was playing today, he'd have access to the same training, facilities and advances in sports science that modern footballers have.

He moved from Newcastle to Manchester as a 15 year old boy to be part of the youth system. So I don't get your point about "one day fencing, one day football."

Your whole post is ignorant, disrespectful and bang out of order.

AndyJ1985

Sir Bobby is a proper legend. The word is used far too much these days. Compare him to some of the bellends who get labelled a legend these days. It's embarrassing.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!

This is a big wind up right?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

Are you for real?

I think your IQ test result was about right.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Legend, a combination of ability and longevity which few will ever match at the club.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Unbelievably ridiculous post by Successful. I know you can report posts for being racist or whatever, but can you do it for stupid ones as well?

Eriku

Successful clearly hasn't seen much of Charlton. You know that seeing highlight reels doesn't tell you much, right? Watch an actual match, and you'll see he was gifted with a football brain that would stand out today as well.

Tremendous player.

izzydiggler

Unquestionably a United legend by any measure but ultimately my judgement is based solely on statistics and books/old footage, so it's difficult to realistically judge him in any capacity.

Really wish I'd been able to see him in his pomp - any decent footage about?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

Are you high? It's really totally pointless to compare generations.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They were more like active people. One day it'd be football, the next they'd be competing in fencing.

Another thing that makes me laugh is the whole age mentality. You were considered a school buy long into your 30's. Guys playing football were like 50 years old because of that mentality.
What are you even talking about?

Van Gaalacticos

Don't forget he bagged a couple of goals on his debut too...just saying. Arguably the greatest player England and United ever produced. His books are enjoyable too, very insightful.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
To be fair, he's always mentioned in the greatest of all time debates, albeit at a lower level than Maradona and Pelé and Di Stéfano and Beckenbauer (and rightly so).

World - Player of the Century
1."Pelé" (Brazil) 1705 (Edson Arantes do Nascimento)
2.Johan Cruijff (Netherlands) 1303
3.Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) 1228
4.Alfredo di Stéfano (Argentina) 1215
5.Diego Armando Maradona (Argentina) 1214
6.Ferenc Puskás (Hungary) 810
7.Michel Platini (France) 722
8.Garrincha (Brazil) 624 (Manoel dos Santos Garrincha)
9.Eusébio (Portugal) 544 (Eusébio Ferreira da Silva)
10.Robert Charlton (England) 508

Europe - Player of the Century
1.Johan Cruijff (Netherlands) 753
2.Franz Beckenbauer (Germany) 709
3.Alfredo di Stéfano (Spain) 708
4.Ferenc Puskás (Hungary) 667
5.Michel Platini (France) 505
6.Eusébio (Portugal) 370 (Eusébio Ferreira da Silva)
7.Robert Charlton (England) 303

World Soccer's Selection of the 100 Greatest Footballers of All Time
1. Pelé (Brazil)
2. Diego Maradona (Argentina)
3. Johan Cruyff (Netherlands)
4. Franz Beckenbauer (Germany)
5. Michel Platini (France)
6. Alfredo Di Stéfano (Argentina/Spain)
7. Ferenc Puskás (Hungary/Spain)
8. George Best (Northern Ireland)
9. Marco van Basten (Netherlands)
10. Eusébio (Portugal)
11. Lev Yashin (Soviet Union)
12. Bobby Charlton (England)

England - Player of the Century
1.Bobby Charlton 303
2.Stanley Matthews 282
3.Bobby Moore 74

"The Best of the Best" Players mentioned in ALL 12 lists:
1 - Franz BECKENBAUER (Germany)
2 - Robert "BOBBY" CHARLTON (England)
3 - Johan CRUYFF (Netherlands)
4 - Gerhardt "GERD" MÜLLER (Germany)
5 - Diego Armando MARADONA (Argentina)
6 - Édson Arantes do Nascimento - "PELÉ" (Brazil)

A couple lists are more anglo-centric in terms of their classification and ranking, but the fact that he's one of only 6 players to make the top of the select rankings lists speaks volumes in that he's consistently rated among the greats of the game. That's like the hallowed pantheon of the footballing gods.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Our very own Brick Tamland.

Successful

Jesus, I make a small comment in a supposedly dead thread (there was a main one) as a reply to a user and dudes are all over me :lol:

It's funny how criticizing and old man who's not even contributing to the club any longer BUT it's fine to openly make fun of, hate and haress the one player who's on level terms (STATISTIC WISE) - Rooney :houllier: I rest my case.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Jesus, I make a small comment in a supposedly dead thread (there was a main one) as a reply to a user and dudes are all over me :lol:

It's funny how criticizing and old man who's not even contributing to the club any longer BUT it's fine to openly make fun of, hate and haress the one player who's on level terms (STATISTIC WISE) - Rooney :houllier: I rest my case.
You lose.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Heard Jonno White missed Sir Bobby's debut 'cause his youngest son's 50th birthday was on the same day.

MounchesterUtd

I wonder where he'll play in the modern game since giving someone so much freedom to play SBC's 'position' isn't really that popular with all the big name managers of today. He might get the same treatment as Baggio; insane talent but managers at the time just did not know how to use him, so he ends up spending a lot of time in the smaller clubs.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I wonder where he'll play in the modern game since giving someone so much freedom to play SBC's 'position' isn't really that popular with all the big name managers of today. He might get the same treatment as Baggio; insane talent but managers at the time just did not know how to use him, so he ends up spending a lot of time in the smaller clubs.
I think he would be used exactly as he was back then. There is plenty of freedom given to players by todays managers, you just have to look at their heat maps or where their touches of the ball appear. players cover a lot of ground and are involved all over the pitch. Todays fan might possibly not think that because we all play football sims or listen to pundits very "box checked" descriptions of players, formations and positions. Our perceptions are heavily influenced by the over use of rigid nomenclature in football.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper

Yes. And those Roman legions hacking away with their shitty little swords. They wouldn't last 5 minutes today against even the smallest army.

MounchesterUtd

I think he would be used exactly as he was back then. There is plenty of freedom given to players by todays managers, you just have to look at their heat maps or where their touches of the ball appear. players cover a lot of ground and are involved all over the pitch. Todays fan might possibly not think that because we all play football sims or listen to pundits very "box checked" descriptions of players, formations and positions. Our perceptions are heavily influenced by the over use of rigid nomenclature in football.
Where and how would he play, for example, under a Mourinho, Pep, Simeone or Ancelotti? Football back then, admittedly based on the little I've seen, had a lot more fluidity and players such as Charlton were pretty much given license to express whatever they wanted to do. I think a prime Charlton or Di Stefano in 2016 will be reigned in, not because they couldn't cope with the modern game, but because of how different the game is now. That, or they'd spend most of their careers in midtable clubs who will bow down to their demands.

Varun

Staff
Atleast we now know the Mensa IQ tests are absolutely accurate.

IBleedRed

likes to use pantyhose

Where is the white text?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Racist?

As I said - it's OK to HATE Rooney. Not ok to think SBC was not as good as the players of today :nono:
Firstly, no one hates Rooney, they don't think he adds to the team what he costs simply, they criticise performances, they don't make crazy assertions about things like you do. The truth is you will never know how the players of old would match up today. Also you didn't just criticise SBC, but every player of a previous generation, at best you seem uninformed and outspoken and at worst, I would accuse you of being a scouse.

Enigma_87

You know who

The feck did I just read? Surely a wind up?

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Bobby was a genius. It's not just what he did for United but remember this is a man who essentially led his country to their only World Cup. In 1966 Bobby Moore was the captain, but it was Bobby Charlton who was the man. The European footballing body recognized it as well by awarding him the European footballer of the year trophy which back then essentially meant he arguably could have been considered the best player in the world (hence Charlton66 btw). Remember as well his goal scoring records stood for almost 50 years with England and still stands at OT and this is from a man who primarily played in midfield. Bobby would have been a star in any era, but for those who want to in some way cast some shade on his accomplishments just remember we laud Pele and Maradona for leading their respective countries to the top of the football mountain by winning a World Cup - Bobby Charlton did exactly the same. People often say true greatness is accomplished on the International stage. Bobby was truly great.

EDIT: I suppose I should also mention that I saw him play numerous times as well. Foot like a cannon.

Last edited:

prath92

Bobby was a genius. It's not just what he did for United but remember this is a man who essentially led his country to their only World Cup. In 1966 Bobby Moore was the captain, but it was Bobby Charlton who was the man. The European footballing body recognized it as well by awarding him the European footballer of the year trophy which back then essentially meant he arguably could have been considered the best player in the world (hence Charlton66 btw). Remember as well his goal scoring records stood for almost 50 years with England and still stands at OT and this is from a man who primarily played in midfield. Bobby would have been a star in any era, but for those who want to in some way cast some shade on his accomplishments just remember we laud Pele and Maradona for leading their respective countries to the top of the football mountain by winning a World Cup - Bobby Charlton did exactly the same. People often say true greatness is accomplished on the International stage. Bobby was truly great.

EDIT: I suppose I should also mention that I saw him play numerous times as well. Foot like a cannon.
As you have watched him, maybe you could tell me

What position did he play? Second striker/attacking mid?

United official site lists him as a forward which is why I have the doubt

http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And-Staff/Legends/Sir-Bobby-Charlton.aspx

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
Bobby actually played in numerous positions over the years. When he was young (before my time) he played mostly as a left winger but when I saw him play I'd hazard a guess by today's standards you'd probably consider him an attacking midfielder even though he usually wore the number 9 shirt.

Successful

I've decided to reevaluate my thoughts on SBC.

As some posters already pointed out you can't compare generations. Some of the things I said were a bit strong and I take that back. However, I still believe players are being unfairly treated on this board. Just respect the players and each other.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
puts some of the stick rooney gets into perspective, imo. everyone adores sir bobby and admires his gial record, but rooney is only 20 or so goals behind him and he's only been here for 16 years.