63% of Liverpool squad "asthmatic" - any substance to this article?

DickDastardly

Every time i watch a occasional 'Pool game i remember this thread.

They're running up and down the pitch with so much intensity its like a video game.

Jericho

It really does look petty to accuse other teams of doping. If one team is at it they’re all at it in some form or another. The real prob is just that the likes of pool and city are coached better.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
They are insane. Like 11 Fred’s for intensity. Looking at Rashford and Pogba walking around makes me so annoyed
Most of today’s starting XI had a break in midweek. We’ve rotated a fair bit as well. The midfield especially has changed a lot.

K Stand Knut

It really does look petty to accuse other teams of doping. If one team is at it they’re all at it in some form or another. The real prob is just that the likes of pool and city are coached better.
You can be petty and speak the truth.

It would be petty to question city’s financial doping. It wouldn’t be any less true.

Just two very different types of doping

GMoore23

They are insane. Like 11 Fred’s for intensity. Looking at Rashford and Pogba walking around makes me so annoyed
It's possible that unlike us just signing the biggest names possible, they sign players that suit Klopps ideology hence they have lots of quality players who can run like Fred.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
It is the use of bronchodilators like ephedrine that is the most obvious conclusion. I was on an “elite” travel team in the late 80’s. I was 13, and 7 players on that team carried around inhalers with that stuff in it; their parents convinced some doctor they needed a script. I tried it. It absolutely helps… a ton… but I also found it frightening. I thought I might have a heart attack. And knowing this is a “common practice” … it makes me wonder about the number of heart issues on the pitch. I’m shocked this is openly allowed at this level of sport.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
One caf sage put it best

sage said:
If Pool and City are getting away with doping, why aren't United doing anything about it.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm convinced Milner is on something.

What other 36 year old is endlessly going box to box like him at this level of intense football almost week in, week out? Dodgy as feck.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

I'm convinced Milner is on something

What other 36 year old is endlessly going box to box like him at this level of intense football almost week in, week out? Dodgy as feck.
Was thinking this. Guy arguably gets fitter as he gets older ffs.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
Well, Leicester we’re accused of PEDS throughout 15/16 when we won the league.

It is daft though, it’s legally enhancing performance.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If they're ashmatic, with this amount of running they'd be lying on the ground right now.

sparx99

If they're ashmatic, with this amount of running they'd be lying on the ground right now.
There is a sport-induced form of asthma though right?

I know Scholes was asthmatic but he seemed the ‘traditional’ form of asthmatic.

Jibbs

Na. Asthma is very convenient when you need legal access to certain substances on the doping list. Having a squad full of players diagnosed as asthmatics is a carbon copy of the cycling's 101 for dopers.
This. An asthmatic can not play any sport at 100% let alone football.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Coming from a running background, and constantly being around guys in their 40s and 50s absolutely blitzing much younger people, it always makes me laugh that people automatically think a guy in their mid 30s who can run a round a lot must be on something :)

Having said that, whoever wrote the article in question on this thread is either onto something, or a genius in windup.
The "cycle" bit and predicting they'd get nowhere near the league just before the exact thing happened was pretty special :)

MUFC OK

Actually being asthmatic and being diagnosed as asthmatic and using associated treatments are two different things.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's kind of the point mate.
The asthmatics at school were fat kids who got out of breath changing.

The "asthmatics" these days seem to be athletes using it as an excuse to get a "gee up"

Although a condition called "exercise induced asthma" exists, look that up.

MUFC OK

Coming from a running background, and constantly being around guys in their 40s and 50s absolutely blitzing much younger people, it always makes me laugh that people automatically think a guy in their mid 30s who can run a round a lot must be on something :)

Having said that, whoever wrote the article in question on this thread is either onto something, or a genius in windup.
The "cycle" bit and predicting they'd get nowhere near the league just before the exact thing happened was pretty special :)
Why were all of team Sky cycling registered as asthmatic then? It’s about getting a competitive advantage.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

Can you play in a 4-2-2-2?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why were all of team Sky cycling registered as asthmatic then. It’s about getting a competitive advantage.
Cycling is riddled with drugs. Everyone knows that.
As it's totally about physical performance. Football still needs a bit more than that, although you wouldn't always believe it looking at Dyche and other's teams.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Model Professional + Klopp’s Kocktail = James Milner

Even with assistance, legal or not, he is an absolute pro. A 20 year career at the very top level of the game, having won it all, is top going.

NoLogo

I'm convinced Milner is on something.

Modric comes to mind. I feel like condition is less than a problem when you get older compared to retaining muscle mass and explosiveness in sprints.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
As it's totally about physical performance. Football still needs a bit more than that, although you wouldn't always believe it looking at Dyche and other's teams.
Are you suggesting football isn't riddled with drugs?

Obviously there's a lot more to football than stamina, but these aren't bums from the street, they're in the top 1% of their field and have been training since they were toddlers, having artificially high stamina or recovery times is absolutely an advantage, one which would make them better than their equally skilled rivals who are not on drugs.

Giggsyking

To be diagnosed with exertional asthma, it must be diagnosed in an exertional spirometry with reversibility test and/or ergo spirometry. How are they going to fake these tests?

Nero

As an asthmatic I can vouch for how much energy and stamina an nice inhaler can give you.

arnie_ni

To be diagnosed with exertional asthma, it must be diagnosed in an exertional spirometry with reversibility test and/or ergo spirometry. How are they going to fake these tests?
If there was any truth to this at all and not just a stick to poke them with, how as anyone faked anything? Money would be my guess.

Giggsyking

If there was any truth to this at all and not just a stick to poke them with, how as anyone faked anything? Money would be my guess.
I don't know, it's almost impossible in Sweden to fake/cheat these tests.

MUFC OK

Why wouldn’t football also be riddled with drugs, there’s more money at stake. Football is massively about physical performance too, especially playing 90 min games at full intensity, pressing, tracking back etc. Not a stretch to say players would benefit from the same treatments.

oh and as far as I am aware, drug testing in football is limited to urine samples, not blood tests. Happy to be proven wrong if that’s not the case though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are you suggesting football isn't riddled with drugs?

Obviously there's a lot more to football than stamina, but these aren't bums from the street, they're in the top 1% of their field and have been training since they were toddlers, having artificially high stamina or recovery times is absolutely an advantage, one which would make them better than their equally skilled rivals who are not on drugs.
Not riddled no, not like cycling.
There's probably a lot of grey area stuff going on, but I'm sure if any widespread doping was going on we'd have heard a lot more noise.

For goodness sake we hear about little rows in dressing rooms. There's always loads of aggrieved parties in football so there's loads who could whistle blow.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

:lol:
There’s a big difference between you and your pals running and playing at the elite level of a literal billion pound sport. It’s not just the fact these older players are running around. It’s the fact that they run AND play well against the best teams in Europe, week in week out.