7.6 earthquake in Japan | fiery plane collision at Tokyo airport

RedDevilQuebecois

Absolutely terrifying, that clip of the river/canal swaying is crazy.
It is, but I think the clip that freaked the most out of me was the one at the train station, where the electronic boards were shaking and then the power went out.

I only hope there are not many casualties by the end of this.

ManUtd1999

Absolutely terrifying. I still remember the 2011 big earthquake in Japan. It was devastating. I hope that the Tsunami won’t be too bad.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The river water is amazing, a great science demonstration and also very scary.

ExoduS

You can tell how used to earthquake Japanese people are. I’d be terrified and would either scream or totally lock into a shock. They are recording and going like “wow” as if they are experiencing a sunset.

If you watch that garage video on mute it looks as if vigorous love making is happening in every car.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Would the tsunami have hit by now if it was going to???

They cancelled the Tsunami warning a few hours ago.

Impressive. That parking garage was experiencing a lot of movement but I didn’t see any collapse.
Don't forget they repaired a completely destroyed road in a couple of days back in 2011. They also repaired that massive sinkhole in under 24 hours. Although iirc it collapsed again and they needed to go back and sort it. Regardless, the Japanese are definitely experts at damage repair and return to functionality and normality in next to no time. It took over 18 months to widen 4 lanes and add a crossroads near me, causing untold disruption for the entire time. Every time I drove past I saw at least half a dozen blokes just stood around talking or doing feck all.

The Firestarter

If such amplitudes are exibited at subterranean levels, imagine how it would be on the top floor of 50 storey building :eek:

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Experienced three earthquakes. 1989, 1994 and 2003. The last one was the worst and the deadliest, around 6.9 on Richter scala, and I wasn't in a building made following Japanese standards. It razed the neighbourhood I grew up in to the ground, killing a lot of friends and people I knew.

It's by far the most humbling and most terrifying thing I've ever experienced in my life. I literally tasted fear in its most primal sense. What people will never understand is the hellish racket, that's something words fail to describe, a literal outcry coming from the depths of the Earth. Combined with your whole surroundings shaking and breaking down like there's no tomorrow, it truly makes you feel how insignificant and powerless you are when nature decides to have a tantrum.

Given that the magnitude of an earthquake is exponential, I can't even begin to imagine what a 7.6 earthquake feels like.

Last edited:

LInkash

I am in Japan right now, visiting my brother/exploring the country.

I was in Osaka yesterday and we were just about to get onto the Flying Dinosaur ride at Universal Studios Japan and it shook, we thought it was part of the ride but then they announced that it was because of an earthquake. It was just a very minor tremor in Osaka though. They then had to do safety checks for a while before we could get on. One of the operators joked that it was a T-Rex, little bit surreal.

My brother was with us but where he usually lives, in the west coast of Japan, there were evacuations and Tsunami warnings and people had to gather on the rooftop of the elementary school.

Real Name

God I hate earthquakes, we had a 5.7 one in Zagreb in 2020 and it was terrifying. Can only imagine what woult happen with a 7.4 one.........

Result of collision

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Two plane collision at Tokyo Airport, a tweet below this shows passengers running out of the blaze away from the plane. A JAL A350 apparently collided with a Japanese Coast guard plane soon after landing...

Japan's had a hell of a new year so far...

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Japanese media reporting that over 400 people were on board and all were evacuated. Really hope so as the whole plane is engulfed in a raging fire now.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Crash landing at Tokyo Airport, a tweet below this shows passengers running out of the blaze away from the plane. A JAL A350 apparently collided with a Japanese Coast guard plane while on descent.

Japan's had a hell of a new year so far...

400 passengers and apparently 0 dead. That's sort of amazing for the scenario "collided with another plane as it was landing". You say it was "on descent", are we sure it wasn't while it was on the runway?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Japanese media reporting that over 400 were on board and all were evacuated. Really hope so as the whole plane is engulfed in a raging fire now.
That's incredible considering the pictures I've seen. The whole cabin is ablaze and that would've spread so quickly.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
400 passengers and apparently 0 dead. That's sort of amazing for the scenario "collided with another plane as it was landing". You say it was "on descent", are we sure it wasn't while it was on the runway?
Seeing tweets ranging from descent to taxi, will amend my post & thread title if need be once it becomes clearer. It was an inbound flight from Hokkaido, that much has been confirmed.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Japanese media reporting that over 400 people were on board and all were evacuated. Really hope so as the whole plane is engulfed in a raging fire now.
Figure now been revised to 367 people on board.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
According to the Japan Coast Guard, one of its aircraft from its Haneda base collided with the JAL plane, which was flying from New Chitose Airport in Hokkaido, NHK reported, adding that the collision occurred after the JAL plane landed on Haneda's C runway.
:eek:

Update:
The coast guard plane had six people on board and one escaped with an injury, but the status of the other five was unknown, NHK reported.

Last edited:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
5 dead confirmed now :(

From the coast guard plane. 1 of the 6 members seem to have survived with some injuries.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Horrific and I wonder if the effects of smoke /fume inhalation could result in respiratory distress later on for some.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Are the two events related or is this just the “Japan’s New Year Disaster” thread? Appalling luck to start the year, RIP.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Are the two events related or is this just the “Japan’s New Year Disaster” thread? Appalling luck to start the year, RIP.
Hope the Japanese culture doesn't adhere to the school of thought that bad things always happen in threes.

diarm

I assume the Coastguard plane was dealing with the fallout from the earthquake and tsunami?

RedDevil@84

When I saw the ball of fire, I feared the worst. All the passengers surviving is incredible.