7.6 earthquake in Japan | fiery plane collision at Tokyo airport

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
When I saw the ball of fire, I feared the worst. All the passengers surviving is incredible.
Was the ball of fire possibly the coast guard aircraft? I can’t see how it would be possible for nearly 400 people to escape from that.

RedDevil@84

Was the ball of fire possibly the coast guard aircraft? I can’t see how it would be possible for nearly 400 people to escape from that.
Probably, but from rest of the videos, some part of the passenger plane was also on fire, after the crash.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
According to interviews there was smoke inside the plane.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Probably, but from rest of the videos, some part of the passenger plane was also on fire, after the crash.
According to interviews there was smoke inside the plane.
Oh yea for sure, by no means am I playing anything down and the crew did an amazing job, but the video in that tweet looked like an immediate and consuming fireball which would make more sense being the other aircraft.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Japan having a terrible start to 2024

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Says more for the Japanese culture that everyone got out safe.
I'd imagine western fatties fecking it all up trying to get their shit off the plane and blocking exits

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The flight accident is getting interesting (for lack of a better word).

The captain of the coast guard plane, who is the only survivor, claims that he was given permission to take off. But the transcripts say that he was told to taxi to a holding point near the runway. Did he misunderstand, mishear or is he lying? It must be a terrible situation to be in for him. No matter how certain you felt before you must be second-guessing yourself at this point.

RedDevil@84

Says more for the Japanese culture that everyone got out safe.
I'd imagine western fatties fecking it all up trying to get their shit off the plane and blocking exits
Yes, no one tried to open the overhead compartments or take any of their carry ons. There were reports of evacuation completed in less than 2 mins. Not sure if that is true though.

RedDevilQuebecois

Yes, no one tried to open the overhead compartments or take any of their carry ons. There were reports of evacuation completed in less than 2 mins. Not sure if that is true though.
All within 90 seconds, which is certified for a full load of up to 440 passengers in an Airbus A350-900 to be evacuated within 90 seconds with only half of the exits usable. It all boiled down to the flight attendants' training and the passengers' discipline if everyone got out within that timeline.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
380 people in 90 seconds. That means 4 people a second. As much japanese discipline goes, I dont think is possible.it should take at least 10 min
They are elderly and kids

RedDevil@84

380 people in 90 seconds. That means 4 people a second. As much japanese discipline goes, I dont think is possible.it should take at least 10 min
I thik the 90secs is coming from the JAL drill. The flight crew were trained to evacuate a full flight in 90 secs, under multiple conditions (pitch darkness inside and outside, smoke, old people, infants etc etc).
The only report I could find says that 18 mins after the collision, all 367 passengers had reached the safe location. Now I am not sure how far from the burning plane, the safe location was.

Krits

From what I’ve read, it wasn’t in 90 seconds. It was closer to 18 minutes. The 90 second thing is a design specification that manufactures are required to demonstrate. All pax off in 90 seconds with half the slides not working.

it was still amazing that everyone got out, especially since they only had 3 slides to use and the rear slide seemed to be way high cause the aircraft had tipped forward.

From the transcripts it seems 100% fault of the cost guard crew.

RIP those lost.

I’d wish ATC collision warning system that they have in the states becomes a standard requirement at large airports soon. Has the potential of saving many lives (there have been a few potential accidents in the US that have been avoided because of that system)

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
From what I’ve read, it wasn’t in 90 seconds. It was closer to 18 minutes. The 90 second thing is a design specification that manufactures are required to demonstrate. All pax off in 90 seconds with half the slides not working.

it was still amazing that everyone got out, especially since they only had 3 slides to use and the rear slide seemed to be way high cause the aircraft had tipped forward.

From the transcripts it seems 100% fault of the cost guard crew.

RIP those lost.

I’d wish ATC collision warning system that they have in the states becomes a standard requirement at large airports soon. Has the potential of saving many lives (there have been a few potential accidents in the US that have been avoided because of that system)
Thats more likely. A drill is never real life

RedDevilQuebecois

An elderly woman is rescued from her collapsed house, 124 hours after the earthquake.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
There are multiple exists and a slide multiple people can go down at once?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It has to be possible, for a commercial airliner to be certified it has to demionstrate it can get everyone off in 90 seconds

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
There are multiple exists and a slide multiple people can go down at once?
It has to be possible, for a commercial airliner to be certified it has to demionstrate it can get everyone off in 90 seconds
It is phisically possible, no doubt about it and as someone else points out further up, is what they ask in a drill. But with half the plane exists out and real life in to play, i find very hard to achieve

Im sure in a drill, they are all healthy, no second thoughts with your belongings, no panicking for your life....or your kid(s), etc... in my recent plane there was someone with a wheelchair. We waited a long time for a special wheel chair to roll him in and then roll him out and is fine. In a panicking mode, who is gonna take care of thia poor guy (not lightweight either)? I was going myself with a 6 month baby and i saw entire families. You need just a couple unrested feeling entitled that they have priority or simple claustophobia. The flight assistance have a hell of a job to take all that in account and work it out psicologocally and they are not getting paid enough. Im sure they did an excellent job due to circumstances. And i am sure japanese societal values made a great impact too. But expecting to nail the drill that are under perfect circumstances... possible under the laws of phyaics doesnt mean possible in the real scenario

RedDevil@84

It is phisically possible, no doubt about it and as someone else points out further up, is what they ask in a drill. But with half the plane exists out and real life in to play, i find very hard to achieve

Im sure in a drill, they are all healthy, no second thoughts with your belongings, no panicking for your life....or your kid(s), etc... in my recent plane there was someone with a wheelchair. We waited a long time for a special wheel chair to roll him in and then roll him out and is fine. In a panicking mode, who is gonna take care of thia poor guy (not lightweight either)? I was going myself with a 6 month baby and i saw entire families. You need just a couple unrested feeling entitled that they have priority or simple claustophobia. The flight assistance have a hell of a job to take all that in account and work it out psicologocally and they are not getting paid enough. Im sure they did an excellent job due to circumstances. And i am sure japanese societal values made a great impact too. But expecting to nail the drill that are under perfect circumstances... possible under the laws of phyaics doesnt mean possible in the real scenario
I agree with you that it is unrealistic that the actual timeline was 90 secs, but in the drills, they do have people play the roles of parents with infants, old and slow moving people, people in wheelchairs, only few exits working, etc etc., so that they are ready.

Last edited:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I agree with you that it is unrealistic that the actual timeline was 90 secs, but in the drills, they do have people play the roles of parents with infants, old and slow moving people, people in whealchairs, only few exits working, etc etc., so that they are ready.
You are probably right on the drills. Or they could go them with only 100m dash relay to pass the drill

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I agree with you that it is unrealistic that the actual timeline was 90 secs, but in the drills, they do have people play the roles of parents with infants, old and slow moving people, people in wheelchairs, only few exits working, etc etc., so that they are ready.
Spot on, in the real world people panic and do everything hey are not supposed to do.

Culture plays a part as well, in Japan people are brought up to obey officialdom, this is almost certainly why everyone got out

Compare that to the San Francisco crash a few years back where passenger were carting their carry-ons down the slides and exits, if their had been a fire in that crash then these folks would likely be dead