9 kps88 1. SCHOLES
10 Ralaks 1. NEDVED
11 Cold Boy 1. STAM
12 Zen 1. TOTTI
13 Crustanoid 1. HESKEY RESERVED, PENDING CONFIRMATION
14 Brwned 1. PIRLO
15 Team Brian
16 Snow

Brwned is online, I've PMed him. I've got Snow's picks so if TB shows up this could turn the corner quickly.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
i was wondering how the feck Ronaldinho hadnt been picked and then just realised he was born 1980 !

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
Does anybody know what Snow's picks are, or will I have to pick a player and wait a few hours to pick another one?

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I choose Claude Makelele, nobody else picked will have had a position named for him in wide circulation for five years.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
1 Antohan: 1. ZIDANE
2 DanNistelrooy: 1. RONALDO
3 Rood: 1. RIVALDO
4 TheReligion: 1. NESTA
5 Cal? 1. KEANO
6 Gio 1. DAVIDS
7 Cling Bak 1. HENRY
8 KM 1. VIEIRA
9 kps88 1. SCHOLES
10 Ralaks 1. NEDVED
11 Cold Boy 1. STAM
12 Zen 1. TOTTI
14 Brwned 1. PIRLO
15 Team Brian 1. MAKELELE, 2. SEEDORF
16 Snow 1. GIGGS, 2. FIGO

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I think even today people don't realise just how influential he was - he made the Real Madrid side of the early 2000s what it was and he did the same for Chelsea in the mid 2000s. He was a deep lying playmaker who had an unbelievable quality to maintain possession and blunt the other team and was more important than any other player in and around Chelsea's defence at the time that is for certain.

Ralaks

Was suprised he lasted this long, great player. If by some miracle he'd be there for my next pick I'd have gone for him!

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Brian, I meant you should already think about the next as Snow would get done quickly.

And to prove my point that being the first to choose a combo is not too shabby, here are Snow's "Oh God I'll run out of world class players" picks:

THE ORIGINAL WWW (WELSH WING WIZARD)

And his newfound partner in crime:

Now THAT is a combo for you!

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I was considering Figo myself so it was just as well that I didn't so it wouldn't cause problems, give me a moment.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
The man needs no introduction, I pick Clarence Seedorf.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
I suffered last time by not having a strong central midfield, that isn't going to happen again.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea

5 Cal? 1. KEANO

6 Gio 1. DAVIDS

7 Cling Bak 1. HENRY

8 KM 1. VIEIRA

9 kps88 1. SCHOLES

10 Ralaks 1. NEDVED

11 Cold Boy 1. STAM

12 Zen 1. TOTTI

14 Brwned 1. PIRLO

antohan

I think even today people don't realise just how influential he was - he made the Real Madrid side of the early 2000s what it was and he did the same for Chelsea in the mid 2000s. He was a deep lying playmaker who had an unbelievable quality to maintain possession and blunt the other team and was more important than any other player in and around Chelsea's defence at the time that is for certain.
Superb player, I'm a bit pissed all the quality DMs are going thick and fast!

The only "problem" which I saw with Makelele was that he would somewhat shape tactics given his excellence in a very clearly defined role. But I would kill to have him, no doubt!

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Indeed so though he is the very best at what he did whilst Seedorf would balance that out by having more variability.

I imagine Brwned is not going to be happy, I bet when he picked Pirlo he didn't imagine the next four players to go could create the greatest midfield football has ever seen in Giggs, Makelele, Seedorf, Figo.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Nope, Makelele limits your choices in terms of setup and complimentary partners and Seedorf simply never had a peak as high as Pirlo despite all his years of success nor could he be a player to build your midfield around, and I made a conscious decision to forget about wide players early on. Fullbacks don't matter was much as they should in particular.

I pick Rio Ferdinand

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Nope, Makelele limits your choices and Seedorf simply never had a peak as high as Pirlo despite all his years of success nor could he be a player to build your midfield around, and I made a conscious decision to forget about wide players early on. Fullbacks don't matter was much as they should in particular.

I pick Rio Ferdinand

Yes but you now have a playmaker and a central defender whereas I have a central midfield partnership when all central midfielders of such an ilk are vanishing - there are thirty picks before you get another go to top my midfield.

Having said that I did consider Ferdinand as one of my two picks, I decided on Makelele though as he would give me that defensive prowess but from my midfield.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea

5 Cal? 1. KEANO

6 Gio 1. DAVIDS

7 Cling Bak 1. HENRY

8 KM 1. VIEIRA

9 kps88 1. SCHOLES

10 Ralaks 1. NEDVED

11 Cold Boy 1. STAM

12 Zen 1. TOTTI

14 Brwned 1. PIRLO, 2. FERDINAND

Zen

~Yeah, gotta wait for that other nerd. Oops. Best not nick who I want ><

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
~Yeah, gotta wait for that other nerd. Oops. Best not nick who I want ><
He'll want Bramble to go alongside Heskey or maybe he will want a strike partner for him, someone like Marcus Bent.

kps88

We should just let Crustanoid reserve Bramble and move on.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Last time you were talking up the value of having a strong defensive partnership while completely neglecting the midfield, this time it's the opposite! I think Makelele's an excellent pick if you can work him into your setup but I just don't really see Seedorf as a top 2 player personally...although saying that he did absolutely rip us apart in midfield in a way very few others did or could in the past decade, his class is undeniable but I just don't think his influence was at the level of some other midfield choices still available. Tremendously useful in any midfield though, really excellent complimentary player. He'll definitely win some votes on the back of that midfield mauling back in '07 though, no question.

antohan

Where the hell is Crustanoid? His last activity is a couple of hours ago yet he didn't pick.

He's got until 12:50 to make his two picks. Either that or we admit someone willing to come on in his place, if those online now agree.

5 Cal? 1. KEANO

6 Gio 1. DAVIDS

7 Cling Bak 1. HENRY

8 Jayvin 1. VIEIRA

9 kps88 1. SCHOLES

10 Ralaks 1. NEDVED

11 Cold Boy 1. STAM

12 Zen 1. TOTTI

14 Brwned 1. PIRLO, 2. FERDINAND

antohan

We should just let Crustanoid reserve Bramble and move on.
Funny as it would be, it would leave a very weak team behind, which wouldn't be fair on whichever teams go on to win that group.

I suggest a new player or Crustanoid make two picks, whichever comes first gets the manager job for team 13.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Last time you were talking up the value of having a strong defensive partnership while completely neglecting the midfield, this time it's the opposite! I think Makelele's an excellent pick if you can work him into your setup but I just don't really see Seedorf as a top 2 player personally...although saying that he did absolutely rip us apart in midfield in a way very few others did or could in the past decade, his class is undeniable but I just don't think his influence was at the level of some other midfield choices still available. Tremendously useful in any midfield though, really excellent complimentary player. He'll definitely win some votes on the back of that midfield mauling back in '07 though, no question.
I have only made two choices so far - last time round my first was Baresi, my second was Klinsmann, my third was Zubizarretta and fourth was Le Tissier. My defence didn't emerge that early on.

Though as I say, I have banked Seedorf and Makelele - two players who compliment each other very well indeed. Perhap's I'll go for a diamond, a flat four, a flat five, or Makelele sitting behind a more advanced pair or trio of players with perhaps another beside him. I certainly have to take his needs into account but you'd have to do that with any player that you so choose but I don't think it limits my choices at all.

antohan

THE ORIGINAL WWW (WELSH WING WIZARD)
I actually checked that fact out of interest...

Giggsy made his debut five months before the WWW made its debut.

The web is dying, SOPA, Wiki going dark... and he is still going strong

LEGEND

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Surprised Figo lasted all the way to number 16.

Agree with this.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
The ones that always annoy me are those who were born just outside of the window, for instance if it was just a month longer you could have Xavi.

antohan

Perhap's I'll go for a diamond, a flat four, a flat five, or Makelele sitting behind a more advanced pair or trio of players with perhaps another beside him. I certainly have to take his needs into account but you'd have to do that with any player that you so choose but I don't think it limits my choices at all.
I definitely had those two down for a diamond option with Zidane and AN other.

In fact as soon as we started I made an ideal XI (one I would never get in the draft obviously, but which I would have loved to take into a final):

............................ZIDANE
........NEDVED.............................SEEDORF
............................KEANE

With Keano edging Makelele purely out of red mist and him being more flexible for other midfield combinations.

I agree Seedorf's top is not as high as others' but he is superb AND versatile like few others.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Seedorf is better than any midfielder Man United has had in over five years, better than any Arsenal has had, better than any Real Madrid has had and better than any Chelsea has had. If Man United had Seedorf in their midfield then maybe it would not have been trampled on twice by Barcelona in the last couple of years, and by AC Milan before that.

One of the peculiarities of this place is how highly it rates Essien, far higher than I ever have and somebody who would do very well indeed if he reached the heights of Seedorf and stay there well into his thirties.

Team Brian GB

Supports
Chelsea
Save it for the match thread Brian. :)
Indeed, by the time Brwned gets to pick again at the rate things are going with midfielders being taken he'll have to partner Pirlo with Thomas Gravesen.