737 Max - Boeing grounds the fleet after second crash | Production temporarily suspended

Abizzz

I'm willing to go on the 10000'th flight (not that much in aviation numbers). Boeing is a century old company with a great track record up until the max, they are part of the reason why flying is as safe today as it is. I'll pass on the first 10000 though (first 2 months approximately).

Foxbatt

I'm willing to go on the 10000'th flight (not that much in aviation numbers). Boeing is a century old company with a great track record up until the max, they are part of the reason why flying is as safe today as it is. I'll pass on the first 10000 though (first 2 months approximately).
They messed up with their competition with Airbus. The 777 was a very good plane and Airbus could not compete with it with their 340s and 380s. Then came the Airbus Neo and Boeing messed up with their 737 Max. Boeing did have an advantage that it is not so computerized as the airbus and hence pilots prefer to have some control and also safety wise it was better. Instead of juggling around the fuselage they should have redesigned the complete thing.
The FAA is as much as to blame for this disaster. The FAA goes around blacklisting other countries but this is the largest safety cock up a major regulator has ever made.

And the 787. Their last two releases have had worldwide groundings. You have to go all the way back to 1979 for the last time that happened to a major airliner.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Boeing did have an advantage that it is not so computerized as the airbus and hence pilots prefer to have some control and also safety wise it was better.
The A320 has a consistently better safety record than the 737.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They messed up with their competition with Airbus. The 777 was a very good plane and Airbus could not compete with it with their 340s and 380s. Then came the Airbus Neo and Boeing messed up with their 737 Max. Boeing did have an advantage that it is not so computerized as the airbus and hence pilots prefer to have some control and also safety wise it was better. Instead of juggling around the fuselage they should have redesigned the complete thing.
The FAA is as much as to blame for this disaster. The FAA goes around blacklisting other countries but this is the largest safety cock up a major regulator has ever made.
They would be shocked to discover how little control they have on either platform. Modern control theory has taken a lot of work out of the pilot's hands. If they want to really pilot they need to switch over to the military side of things (where the airframe for one is dynamically unstable to begin with)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They would be shocked to discover how little control they have on either platform. Modern control theory has taken a lot of work out of the pilot's hands. If they want to really pilot they need to switch over to the military side of things (where the airframe for one is dynamically unstable to begin with)
Very much so.
Since the 70's, most aircraft have either been fly by wire or some form of computer control laws. And in current fly by wire systems, the flight control software is triplex or even quadruplex channels.
Boeing problems with the Max stemmed from trying to make a fly by wire system feel the same as the earlier versions of the 737 that were hydromechanical.

The Firestarter

Still there is significant difference between AB and BA philosophies. In a boeing you can still stall the thing if you pull the yoke hard enough.
In the bus, in normal law, yanking the stick all the way just tells the FMC "pitch up as far as you safely can".

adexkola

Supports
Still there is significant difference between AB and BA philosophies. In a boeing you can still stall the thing if you pull the yoke hard enough.
In the bus, in normal law, yanking the stick all the way just tells the FMC "pitch up as far as you safely can".
This I agree with, given recent events of course.

Even with prior accidents Boeing has been involved in you never got the sense they were not on top of things technically. That they've ceded the ground to Airbus in terms of perception regarding technical competence, is a failure of staggering proportions. Will replace the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse as introductory material for engineering students in ethics classes.

The Firestarter

This I agree with, given recent events of course.

Even with prior accidents Boeing has been involved in you never got the sense they were not on top of things technically. That they've ceded the ground to Airbus in terms of perception regarding technical competence, is a failure of staggering proportions. Will replace the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse as introductory material for engineering students in ethics classes.
I agree it is a fundamental problem in the company , showing in the space division as well - the Starliner was grounded due to software issues.

Foxbatt

This is the point I am making. The Indonesia air Asia flight crashed because the Captain reset the Flight Augmentation System. In a Boeing aircraft of old the pilot can still fly it.
In Boeing the computerised system was there to help the pilot. In Airbus it flies the aircraft all the way.
EASA is way too strict with their certification and licencing compared to the FAA. Boeing got all the shit but FAA has to take the bigger share of the responsibility in messing this up.
I am not going to fly it until EASA certifies it.
Boeing is in trouble as it is with the 350 competing with the 777.
For me I don't like the 787. I prefer the older 777.
CAAC is the important one for Boeing. That's where their biggest market for the Max is.

The Firestarter

This is the point I am making. The Indonesia air Asia flight crashed because the Captain reset the Flight Augmentation System. In a Boeing aircraft of old the pilot can still fly it.
In Boeing the computerised system was there to help the pilot. In Airbus it flies the aircraft all the way.
EASA is way too strict with their certification and licencing compared to the FAA. Boeing got all the shit but FAA has to take the bigger share of the responsibility in messing this up.
I am not going to fly it until EASA certifies it.
Boeing is in trouble as it is with the 350 competing with the 777.
For me I don't like the 787. I prefer the older 777.
CAAC is the important one for Boeing. That's where their biggest market for the Max is.
FAA rubber stamped a botched single point of failure system whose whole idea was to make the yoke feel the same way as the NG in certain parts of the envelope. Instead it turned out a dead trap, that trims the elevator into nose down with overwhelming force, unable for a pilot to overcome manually.
It should take a long time for the FAA to regain their credibility.

Foxbatt

FAA rubber stamped a botched single point of failure system whose whole idea was to make the yoke feel the same way as the NG in certain parts of the envelope. Instead it turned out a dead trap, that trims the elevator into nose down with overwhelming force, unable for a pilot to overcome manually.
It should take a long time for the FAA to regain their credibility.
Honestly they have already lost a lot of credibility due to politics. Trump took a very long time in replacing the Head of FAA after he retired. When Homeland Security took over aviation security from the FAA that started the downward trend.
Yes safety and security are two different things but when it was under the FAA it was more professional. FAA was used as a political tool to control countries that could be pushed in many ways.

Balljy

I'm not sure really sure that's the case as pilots can't control a significant percentage of modern military planes anymore. The Eurofighter (amongst others modern fighters) has inherent instability to allow better manoeuvrability, but it is computer controlled at that level as it would not be controllable by a human with the reaction speeds required..

Last edited:

adexkola

Supports
I'm not sure really sure that's the case as pilots can't control a significant percentage of modern military planes anymore. The Eurofighter (amongst others modern fighters) has inherent instability to allow better manoeuvrability, but it is computer controlled at that level as it would not be controllable by a human with the reaction speeds required..
I agree, they are all computer controlled, but on a military plane you are able to maneuver more (makes sense given the application).

The Firestarter

It goes to F 16 back in the 70s. Unflyable without the computer , and that's why it doesnt have an APU but an unique emergency power system running on hydrazine. Which by the way is the biggest danger to recovery crews approaching a crash site, because its so fecking toxic.

Balljy

I agree, they are all computer controlled, but on a military plane you are able to maneuver more (makes sense given the application).
To be fair anybody wanting to do 180 degree turns in a plane would already have gone for the military rather than a 787. I don't think that changes anything for the type of pilot you want to be it's just that modern commercial pilots have less control than they used to and modern military pilots have less control than they used to. Both are changing due to technology in the past few decades.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Is the Dreamliner still going? I remember when that had issues at the beginning. I was bricking it when I found out we were flying on it right around that time.

Lo and behold there were issues with the flight. The electrics (presumably just for passengers?) cut out mid flight. All our screens went off, lights out, air conditioning off. Not sure how but I was quite calm considering it seemed like this was the end of the line for me :lol:

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
As always, in our fecking face. There is no conspiracy in this world of shady corporation and hidden power. They tell us right in our faces: " Will do whatever the feck we want, and you can't do anything about it"

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
As always, in our fecking face. There is no conspiracy in this world of shady corporation and hidden power. They tell us right in our faces: " Will do whatever the feck we want, and you can't do anything about it"
I guess all we can do is not fly on their airplanes whenever possible and be sure to tell the airlines that as well.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I guess all we can do is not fly on their airplanes whenever possible and be sure to tell the airlines that as well.
There is no choice. Airbus is not better than boing. They were punished because they were receiving help from the EU. And many other things that we don't know. is like bipartidism. There is no real choice. Same dog different collar. Is a dictatorship mascaraed of democracy with no real choice

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So there's a new book out that details what went wrong with Boeing and this plane. Maybe I'll pick it up.

"Flying blind" by Peter Robison.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The 737 Max should never be allowed to fly. I'd be surprised if this isn't another step towards the end for Boeing

MDFC Manager

The 737 Max should never be allowed to fly. I'd be surprised if this isn't another step towards the end for Boeing
Instead, the MAX is getting record number of orders from worldwide operators. I guess in a decade or so, most non Airbus narrow bodies will be the MAX