Gaming 90s PC/Mac games nostaglia

nimic

something nice
Scout
EDIT: Disco Elysium definitely deserves more attention from the mainstream gaming, just as much as when first Fallout game was released in 1997. There are some truly underrated gems in 2019.
Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds are the two games I talked about when I said 2019 had two of my top 5 games. Outer Wilds is probably #1, actually. I can't get over that game. What those two games had in common was a fantastic atmosphere, great music, expert storytelling and world-building. They do it very differently, but it works so well for both.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
shame what happened to the DiscoE devs though.

nimic

something nice
Scout
shame what happened to the DiscoE devs though.
Yeah. I'm just glad we got Disco Elysium out of them. feckery could have happened before release, and we could have missed out on it completely.

Back to the 90s: did anyone play the Battle Isle games? We had it on the old Amiga 500 my dad got us in the early 90s. At least I thought we had it on the Amiga, but it seems like Battle Isle II was a DOS game only. Maybe I'm misremembering, and I actually played it on the PC we also got at some point in the 90s.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Disco Elysium and Outer Wilds are the two games I talked about when I said 2019 had two of my top 5 games. Outer Wilds is probably #1, actually. I can't get over that game. What those two games had in common was a fantastic atmosphere, great music, expert storytelling and world-building. They do it very differently, but it works so well for both.
I gotta dig deeper on 2019, simply because I might discover for myself (in big part thanks to your list), it could be very well the best year in recent era.

Didn't play Outer Wilds, but from what I see, it blew No Man's Sky and Endless Space out of the water and currently holds still higher in ranks than Faster Than Light, which was my personal go to game after gaming went bit downhill somewhere after 2012.

I simply need to play Outer Wilds more than anything now. :lol:

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah. I'm just glad we got Disco Elysium out of them. feckery could have happened before release, and we could have missed out on it completely.

Back to the 90s: did anyone play the Battle Isle games? We had it on the old Amiga 500 my dad got us in the early 90s. At least I thought we had it on the Amiga, but it seems like Battle Isle II was a DOS game only. Maybe I'm misremembering, and I actually played it on the PC we also got at some point in the 90s.

Very much. Battle Isle II was great. There was also a historical one from the same devs available, but didn‘t get to play that one much.
Think it‘s the same guys that did the Settlers afterwards.

Kristjan

Retired Dictator

Yes, great strategy games at the time. Probably played History Line 1914-1918 the most though, same engine

Chairman Steve

If your park went bankrupt in Theme Park, you got a nice little animation of your character jumping off a building and killing himself. As a kid I thought nothing of it - which says a lot about me I suppose - but now, looking back at it, it feels incredibly fecked up. So dark, just a jarring tonal shift from the game.
You should see the cutscene that comes when you go bankrupt in Constructor. Your unseen character is put in a coffin and buried alive, despite actually being asleep, wakes up and a fairly blood curdling scream is let out as it fades out despite the game being colourful, cartoony and whimsical in the same manner Theme Park was. That creeped me out as a kid.

Siorac

You should see the cutscene that comes when you go bankrupt in Constructor. Your unseen character is put in a coffin and buried alive, despite actually being asleep, wakes up and a fairly blood curdling scream is let out as it fades out despite the game being colourful, cartoony and whimsical in the same manner Theme Park was. That creeped me out as a kid.
:lol: what the feck was wrong with people in the 90s

nimic

something nice
Scout
A few late-90s games I played a lot:

Axis & Allies, the board game turned video game. A lot of fun.

Close Combat 3: Russian Front. I played the 2nd one (A Bridge Too Far) as well, but Russian Front was always my favourite. They did make a few more of them, but if you want something similar today it will probably be Steel Division. I played the first one, there's a second one too. What I loved about this game was the campaign mode, where your troops gained experience (or were killed), as you went from map to map. You would also see the same maps again a few times sometimes (first defending and then attacking if the Soviets, the other way around with the Germans), and you'd have craters and ruined vehicles/tanks left-over from the last battle. I also loved that you didn't have full control. Your guys would get pinned down, sometimes act on their own, get panicked, run away, etc).

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear. This is the Rainbow Six I played the most of. The 747 level has really stuck in my memory.

The Curse of Monkey Island. Best in the series. Still a great game, and perfectly playable today (I bought it on gog.com).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This is not exactly 90s but I randomly remembered a browser based MMORPG I used to play yesterday. It was driving me mad that I couldn't remember the name and it's just randomly popped in my brain for no reason.

Incredibly niche but did anyone else play Ogre Island? - https://www.ogreisland.com/

The Purley King

The original Elite was amazing, spent so many hours on that, running narcotics to dangerous worlds and getting bigger and better ships. Saved up to get a docking computer as the number of times I crashed into the station trying to dock was unbelievable!

Manic Miner
Greedy Gulch
Tir Na Nog
Bugaboo
Daley Thompsons Decathalon
Bard's Tale
Bomb Jack
Ghosts & Goblins
Marble Madness
Barbarian, The Ultimate Warrior
Arkanoid
Summer Games
Defender of the Crown
Lemmings

I can remember the above games I had for my spectrum, Bards Tale was completely amazing.

When I was 8, we had one of these at home

Used to order books that contained the code to write into the computer to get a game! I spent hours typing in code, line by line and then at the end of it, it didn't work because I'd made a mistake somewhere. They didn't have great compilers back then, had to go back through line by line. You never knew if the game would be any good either and had to invest hours into finding out.
There was a great text based adventure in a pyramid I remember and a very basic grand prix game. Christ I feel old :)

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The original Elite was amazing, spent so many hours on that, running narcotics to dangerous worlds and getting bigger and better ships. Saved up to get a docking computer as the number of times I crashed into the station trying to dock was unbelievable!

Manic Miner
Greedy Gulch
Tir Na Nog
Bugaboo
Bard's Tale
Bomb Jack
Ghosts & Goblins
Marble Madness
Arkanoid
Summer Games
Defender of the Crown
Lemmings

I can remember the above games I had for my spectrum, Bards Tale was completely amazing.

Used to order books that contained the code to write into the computer to get a game! I spent hours typing in code, line by line and then at the end of it, it didn't work because I'd made a mistake somewhere. They didn't have great compilers back then, had to go back through line by line. You never knew if the game would be any good either and had to invest hours into finding out.
There was a great text based adventure in a pyramid I remember and a very basic grand prix game. Christ I feel old :)
My sister and I used to take great delight watching my father play defender of the crown. The music was great and we in particular used to love the robin hood segment where you'd raid a city with that awful sword fighting. :lol:

The Purley King

My sister and I used to take great delight watching my father play defender of the crown. The music was great and we in particular used to love the robin hood segment where you'd raid a city with that awful sword fighting. :lol:
When I got a bit older I especially enjoyed the cover for Barbarian, not sure you'd get away with that now......

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Manic Miner
Greedy Gulch
Tir Na Nog
Bugaboo
Bard's Tale
Bomb Jack
Ghosts & Goblins
Marble Madness
Arkanoid
Summer Games
Defender of the Crown
Lemmings

Daley Thompson's Decathalon has reminded me of these classics:

:drool:

Chairman Steve

The Curse of Monkey Island. Best in the series. Still a great game, and perfectly playable today (I bought it on gog.com).
It’s still a gorgeous looking game 25 years on from when it was released. The art style in it is the best in the entire Monkey Island series. The guy they got to voice act Guybrush was absolutely perfect for it, and seems to be a universal opinion since he’s always voice acted Guybrush and no-one else.

Curse of Monkey Island and Grim Fandango were the peak for the Lucasarts adventure games. I really wish Schafer would make a Grim Fandango sequel, espeically since the Day of the Dead trend is in the mainstream at the moment.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Anyone remember this? Was one of my favorite games growing up