A caretaker manager

AshRK

But we don’t operate like that. If he does even half decent he’ll be given a 6-year contract by April.
We will finish 4th or 5th and win FA cup. The board will get over excited and give him a 6 year contract. I can see that happening. We love to reward mediocrity. Did with Jose, did with Ole so pretty sure we will do with the next manager.

John Blund

Casey Stoney. Just get her in as caretaker. She'd be the first female manager in a top-tier men's club. I rather have her and a propper change in the summer, than get Conte and do another full turn-around in our squad in the next 3 years.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
God no. No caretaker. You need to choose a direction for the club for the next 3 seasons minimum. Convince the top best available target or don’t bother.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Blanc should be the only acceptable option if we go for an ex United player as a caretaker.

I think we need Conte though. If we can get him till summer 2023, it would be grand cause we can sack him in next summer if there is a better alternative, without needing to pay too much.
The idea of a manager being more desirable because they'll be easier to sack down the line :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
The idea of a manager being more desirable because they'll be easier to sack down the line :lol:
Yeah, I guess, we should go for absolute garbage managers, give them long contracts, and fetishize them being here for years, while everything is burning.

hobbers

It sounds ridiculous at first glance, but then you look at how Ole has clung on in there and you can understand why "sackability" might actually be quite a desirable trait in a manager.

adexkola

Supports
Yeah, I guess, we should go for absolute garbage managers, give them long contracts, and fetishize them being here for years, while everything is burning.
No one is saying that... However I've never heard of that being a criteria until today. Sounded like it came out of a comedy sketch

It sounds ridiculous at first glance, but then you look at how Ole has clung on in there and you can understand why "sackability" might actually be quite a desirable trait in a manager.
My opinion going into this season, was that his contract should not have been renewed. If it wasn't we would have been able to move on from him much easier. His sackability is a function of our stupid decisions not any inherent quality of him as a manager.

Zlatanator

To take care of what? We are still in contention to win three trophies. A manager with some pedigree would win a trophy with this squad.

Revan

Assumptionman
No one is saying that... However I've never heard of that being a criteria until today. Sounded like it came out of a comedy sketch
There should not be a worshipping of manager, something that is a disease in the United fanbase. A manager should be sacked when stuff is not going well, and should be sacked quick.

Conte, most likely, won't be here for longer than two years. On his nine jobs in football, he has been longer than two years in only one of them, at Juve. He was there for three years. Having him in a short contract will be the difference between paying 10m in severance fee, or 30m. So yeah, if we can get him in an 1.5-2 year contract, it will be very good. Especially if we are not completely sure about him and there are better alternatives down the road.

For what is worth, I like Conte and I would like him to be here longer than the current season. But it is imperative to get him now, even if there are plans for a more progressive manager (that we cannot get right now) for the summer.

Revan

Assumptionman
To take care of what? We are still in contention to win three trophies. A manager with some pedigree would win a trophy with this squad.
We are not in contention for the league. 8 points below, 7 points below Liverpool, 6 below City. Add one point because of GD. While we have yet to play City, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. So the league is already gone.

We can compete for the UCL and FA Cup if we get a good manager right now.

adexkola

Supports
There should not be a worshipping of manager, something that is a disease in the United fanbase. A manager should be sacked when stuff is not going well, and should be sacked quick.

Conte, most likely, won't be here for longer than two years. On his nine jobs in football, he has been longer than two years in only one of them, at Juve. He was there for three years. Having him in a short contract will be the difference between paying 10m in severance fee, or 30m. So yeah, if we can get him in an 1.5-2 year contract, it will be very good. Especially if we are not completely sure about him and there are better alternatives down the road.

For what is worth, I like Conte and I would like him to be here longer than the current season. But it is imperative to get him now, even if there are plans for a more progressive manager (that we cannot get right now) for the summer.
The only question is whether he would agree to sign such a short contract. Otherwise I agree.

Lee565

Wonder if potter would down turn the opportunity to manage us on a 1 season contract with the possibility of having it extended, it could end up being a once in a lifetime opportunity to good to pass up for him.

Tbh I think any manager outside of the big side would jump ship right now to join us if offered the opportunity.

Loony BoB

We are not in contention for the league. 8 points below, 7 points below Liverpool, 6 below City. Add one point because of GD. While we have yet to play City, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. So the league is already gone.
Wow, I wasn't aware we liked to give up after going 8 points down with three quarters of the season left to go.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think we need to adopt the caretaker model permanently, for players and managers. Contract extensions seem to be the kiss of death around here.

Revan

Assumptionman
Wow, I wasn't aware we liked to give up after going 8 points down with three quarters of the season left to go.
Being realistic is always a good idea. Being deluded is not.

We gave up on the league title the moment we extended Ole's contract, instead of thanking and replacing him after the Villareal game (although he should have been fired much earlier).

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Wayne. As I said before, with a very limited squad & resources he’s got Derby playing some decent modern football & tactically sound. I hear the players at Derby love his training methods as well. He’d certainly command respect wherever he manages. He’s a maniac driven type, not unlike his mentor. Yet a deep thinker despite his reputation. He regularly spends 24hr days at Derby’s trading ground. Super human work effort. I predict he’s going to be a highly successful manager.

LInkash

Wayne. As I said before, with a very limited squad & resources he’s got Derby playing some decent modern football & tactically sound. I hear the players at Derby love his training methods as well. He’d certainly command respect wherever he manages. He’s a maniac driven type, not unlike his mentor. Yet a deep thinker despite his reputation. He regularly spends 24hr days at Derby’s trading ground. Super human work effort. I predict he’s going to be a highly successful manager.
He knows how to get the best out of Ronaldo.

HailtotheKing

I feel like hiring a manager is seen as a major hassle for this United board. That's why we give such long contracts and extensions. Like who in their right mind would have given Ole such a long contract after proving himself for a few months? And then after overseeing our 2nd position in a season of total upheaval, key injuries and a lame-duck manager for half the season for our main competitors, they decide to give him a 3-year extension. Despite there being no one vying to take him off us. It can only be because they just want to do it and forget about it.

Revan

Assumptionman
I feel like hiring a manager is seen as a major hassle for this United board. That's why we give such long contracts and extensions. Like who in their right mind would have given Ole such a long contract after proving himself for a few months? And then after overseeing our 2nd position in a season of total upheaval, key injuries and a lame-duck manager for half the season for our main competitors, they decide to give him a 3-year extension. Despite there being no one vying to take him off us. It can only be because they just want to do it and forget about it.
Exactly. We need to move away from this doomed model.

The manager is just another piece of the puzzle. A very important one, probably the most important one. But still just a piece.

If he is underperforming, get rid of him. If he is actually doing good, but there are better alternatives, get rid of him.

For example, we wanted Rojo out cause he was bad. We wanted to upgrade Lindelof with Varane, despite that he was doing ok, but Varane is an upgrade. The same logic should go for the manager.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He wouldn't go as a caretaker, surely. He even refused the job at Barça because it was offered to him mid-season (and he is the first candidate after Koeman inevitably gets sacked).

HailtotheKing

Exactly. We need to move away from this doomed model.

The manager is just another piece of the puzzle. A very important one, probably the most important one. But still just a piece.

If he is underperforming, get rid of him. If he is actually doing good, but there are better alternatives, get rid of him.

For example, we wanted Rojo out cause he was bad. We wanted to upgrade Lindelof with Varane, despite that he was doing ok, but Varane is an upgrade. The same logic should go for the manager.
Good teams plan. We don't plan. We hire someone then sit back and hope. We don't seem to plan for transfers nor managers. So instead of being proactive and keeping an eye on the best managers, we are probably now in panic mode, wondering what to do. Similar off the field, similar on it. Such a surprise.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
If it’s only until this horrible run of games is over, let’s have some fun with Caretaker Evra at the wheel.